Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It will take you 5 Billion Years to explore No Mans Sky without any bathroom breaks

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/15/gamescom-2014-the-sun-will-burn-out-before-you-see-all-of-no-mans-sky

That’s two to the power of 64 planets, which Sean tells us would take about five billion years to explore if you spent one second on each; and that's with no bathroom breaks. Given that the Earth’s sun has about 4.6 billion years of fuel left before it flickers out and dies, that pretty much ensures no one will ever see every planet in No Man’s Sky. So yeah, not infinite, but really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really big. Even bigger than what you’re thinking right now. No, bigger.

Although we didn’t see anything new from No Man’s Sky at Gamescom, Sean did leave us with a little tease, saying “we will have something big to show soon.”

Comments

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    and it has over 9000 endings!

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    is this an MMO?
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    is this an MMO?

Its like Elite Dangerous, it will have a single player with online multiplayer features.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

Sounds interesting.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    is this an MMO?

Shortly after the 3 minute mark he adds in "it is not an mmo". It is also for consoles only and maybe for PC in the distant future.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    But how much of that is actual interesting?
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by Ikonis
    But how much of that is actual interesting?

+1 You can customize a wooden chair more times than that. Be it a little cut with a knife here and there. 

Sounds interesting though, procedural content and sandbox/player made content is the future, so I am glad we will see some of it soon. Does this come for PC?

Ah nevermind, saw the comment above PC port, will most likely be one of them bad ports, since it is a small studio. Hell, even so called triple A studios cant supply simple requests like hosting own servers. Looking at you CoD, and some of the newer BF games. Not that I still buy them since they are just rehashed versions of the previous one.

Originally posted by Betaguy
    is this an MMO?

Shortly after the 3 minute mark he adds in "it is not an mmo". It is also for consoles only and maybe for PC in the distant future.

Its for PS4 and PC

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    is this an MMO?

Its for PS4 and PC

Is it for PC as in for PC, or for PC in 4 months after the console version. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I'm actually looking forward to this, but the pessimist in me says, "pfft!"

I mean let's be honest, it's procedurally-generated content, but it isn't like the game is rendered differently. Take a look at Spore. Awesome game! I'm sure there were probably millions of combinations of aliens that you could create, or could be generated. Therefore, you'd "technically" never have the same game experience twice. In actuality, you might play it through one time, that's it! Maybe twice. Depending on the magnitude of the game, that is. Also, even if you do play through it multiple times, the amount of actual diversity in the game could be wildly overstated. The fact of the matter is that it still depends on your art assets. If you're using a single model and moving one pixel around using procedural generation, I'm sure you could turn that one model into 10 billion different guns. In the end, though, it's no less boring waling around with the same model all the time. 

It still looks like an outstanding game, but thinking that the game will change drastically each play through is a dangerous assumption. I drive a half hour to work every day, and I'll be I take a different path every single day. The probability of my tires being in the exact same path for a half our is just highly unlikely. That variance isn't enough to make my drive less boring though. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by andre369
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    is this an MMO?

Its for PS4 and PC

Is it for PC as in for PC, or for PC in 4 months after the console version. 

Its timed exclusive for PS4 than later comes to PC but dont know how later.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-mans-sky-confirmed-for-pc-is-a-ps4-timed-exclus/1100-6421442/

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

kinda pointless if its not an MMO, single player you coulda stopped at like 20 yrs

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

cool...5 billion years of doing the same shit over and over again...oh look a new planet its sky is green...oh look the next planet, its sky is orange...yeeeah

devs today need to learn quality > quantity

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Only if it smells like Roger though.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

cool...5 billion years of doing the same shit over and over again...oh look a new planet its sky is green...oh look the next planet, its sky is orange...yeeeah

This nails it.

So tired of this bullcrap marketing speak.

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

That means absolutely nothing. Borderlands had the same pitch of "a bajillionty" possible gun combinations.

That's nice... but only a small handful are interesting in any way, and a smaller handful end up being viable end-game.

These kinds of statements don't do absolutely anything to make me more interested, in fact it makes me less interested because it tells me they have nothing better to tell us beyond these meaningless "facts."

I've played plenty of games that utilized procedural generation so I'm not one of the people who foams at the mouth when hearing things like this. If they can actually make it interesting and somehow give each place a unique feel (fleshed out cultures and morals, different tech levels, different religions and political systems, etc...), then they'll have my respect. It's likely going to end up being very shallow but we'll see when it's actually released. Till then, my feelings about it are simply "meh."

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Quantity sells, though. It gives both media and gamers an easily understandable, awesome-sounding snippet to pass around. 

A high contrast screenshot and a seemingly incredible claim in 140 characters or less will often get your game far more exposure than a detailed blog or cinematic trailer, AAA titles being the exception. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

It's easy to make 2^64 planets.  What's hard is to make 2^64 planets that are both:

1)  good, and

2)  intuitively different from each other.

How well did they do at that?  I have no idea.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I could see this being awesome if the following were done:

Different levels of technology on planets.  Obviously overlapping will occur with that many planets.  We could have Dinosaurs, sea worlds, lands that provide no habitable zone, but have resources that can be aquired.  Have all developments such as we see in our own history. 

With that comes multiple ways to play.  Go into a an ancient civilization and be the first to be visit?  Take control of them as a God, get them to give you their valuable goods.

Basically make them living breathing worlds in which they can be conquered, wiped out, advanced (though you'll never be able to see it ingame).

Travel to far out reaches in the galaxy where space ports exist, start a galactic war.  Do all kinds of things.

Instead, I fear it'll be nothing more than what other have said, Oh look they got some bears and a green sky, X till you die of boredom after a week or two.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Quantity sells, though. It gives both media and gamers an easily understandable, awesome-sounding snippet to pass around. 

A high contrast screenshot and a seemingly incredible claim in 140 characters or less will often get your game far more exposure than a detailed blog or cinematic trailer, AAA titles being the exception. 

I think it depends on who you're trying to sell it to. When I saw 5 billion years with no bathroom break....my first thought was pretty much the same as the post you quoted.

Now I'm also not about to hop into my monster truck and go watch a pro wrestler fight a NASCAR driver in a cage match either...so I'm probably not the target of that type of sales pitch. I'm also in the minority when it comes to that type of entertainment :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I think it depends on who you're trying to sell it to. When I saw 5 billion years with no bathroom break....my first thought was pretty much the same as the post you quoted.

Now I'm also not about to hop into my monster truck and go watch a pro wrestler fight a NASCAR driver in a cage match either...so I'm probably not the target of that type of sales pitch. I'm also in the minority when it comes to that type of entertainment :)

That pitch isn't for you. When they're gunning for you is when they bust out the "immersive world", "meaningful choices", and "robust crafting system". :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

is this an MMO?
    I was disappointed when he said PS4 for now, "maybe PC" later. This game looks awesome!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

5 billion years to explore the whole game without any bathroom brakes...... does that mean i will never ever see the same piece of content twice?

This really reminds me of Ubisoft claiming Watch dogs had over a bagillion hours of gameplay. Because repeating the same content over and over and over counts as extensive gameplay......right...... *cough*

Im really looking forward to this game and i really hope they nail it. Randomly generated content and interplanetary travel in real time sound fantastic, but i think the title is a little bit way too much over the top exagerated ;p

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by DamonVile

That pitch isn't for you. When they're gunning for you is when they bust out the "immersive world", "meaningful choices", and "robust crafting system". :)

Boobs also work....:)

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

is this an MMO?

I was disappointed when he said PS4 for now, "maybe PC" later. This game looks awesome!

Elite Dangerous... if you play singleplayer offline mode even with the static galaxy you get there are still billions of star systems to explore (400+) so assuming you can maintain a rate of 10 properly explored star systems, not planets just the systems they are in, per day that will take you over a billion years to explore it all but with planets and with wear and tear on your ship... yeah you'd be lucky if it doesn't end up taking 5 billion.