Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preview picture of some classes in EQN from SOE Live

Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Don't like faces of dark elves, black background kinda makes characters look bad, will probably look much better ingame.

Anyway we are gonna get ton of info during panels, they said game progressed a lot since last year.

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Ugh.  Looks like it came from a cheap action game.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    My socks are still on.....
  • DyireDyire Member CommonPosts: 7

Yuck.

It looks so childish...like it is meant for ages 7-12, not a 3rd installment of a franchise with modern technology, personally I will be passing on this game.

• TheRedGrTheRedGr Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Dyire

Yuck.

It looks so childish...like it is meant for ages 7-12, not a 3rd installment of a franchise with modern technology, personally I will be passing on this game.

Idd. +1 . Had high hopes for this game....so sad..

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Yuck.

The style puts me off a bit too.. I think it is fine for Landmark but the Everquest franchise deserves better I think.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yeah big mistake. I'm already trying to rationalize and "get passed" the look.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    I wished they toned down things. What's up with the huge white "human" behind the DEs. If that's a barbarian I suggest they make them smaller so they don't look like giants (I know we in the north are large but not that large) if they want people playing them. The male DE face just looks horrible. I agree that the armor are so large that they looks almost ugly (my opinion like the armor of the giant or barbarian whatever it is).
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

In before all the "good graphics make a game" kids make comments.

Oh looks like I'm too late.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

Yuck.

No you wont, you'll be playing it like the rest of us :)

And surely the art direction of this game can't come as a shock to anyone by now? 

We had this discussion a year ago.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    It looks worse now. It will look even worse next year. Hard to look at after play something that looks real.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

To be honest,  I really wish they would call this game something else.  In my opinion, from everything I've seen so far, it's not EverQuest III.

I wish they had created a new universe for this game with its own lore.  At least then we could hold out hope for a true EQ3.

I was very excited years ago when they first announced working on the next EQ.  I was still excited before SOELive last year.  Since then it's just been a collection of disappointments to the point that I've almost completely written this off with no hope for the franchise.

Ah well.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It's not called EQ3 though, it's called Everquest Next.

Which implies some deviation from previous titles.

That picture doesn't look good, but it's also horribly lowres. I'd wait to see how it really looks ingame. Don't like the look of the dark elves either, but it isn't beyond change either (heck, they even added a completely different chargen in EQ2 couple of months after release).

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Hoping the DE look a bit better in action, but at least there is hope they aren't going for the five foot high shoulder pads. 
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I guess the release title is going to be like: EverQuest: Kid's Adventureland , With a age rating of 7. /shrug

But anyhow... it's pretty Clear they are going into a New direction and targeting a younger audience now. :(

John Smedley's fascination with WoW is getting bit absurd now. Can't he just quit and let New blood lead the Company for a change!

Originally posted by kairel182
    Originally posted by Gallus85

In before all the "good graphics make a game" kids make comments.

Oh looks like I'm too late.

There's a difference between 'good graphics' and a bad art style.  This is the case the latter.

And no, before you say anything, Minecraft is one of my favorite games (definitely for graphics!) and I'm currently playing Asheron's Call again for an MMO.  EQ:Next looks like EVERY OTHER generic MMO post WoW era in terms of art style.  Another reason I hated Wildstar, the aesthetics were just ugly.

Can I say: here we go again? 

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

The picture was taken from this stream, go to 1:49:51 to see classes as they ''appear''. Looks better then that low res picture.

While I am no fan of cartoony artstyle, I would rather have this style than generic EQ2 char models. Think GW2 did best job of finding middle ground between cartoony and realistic artstyle.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    The female dark elf with the silver hair looks cool
  • ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Allein
    Hoping the DE look a bit better in action, but at least there is hope they aren't going for the five foot high shoulder pads. 

Ummm.....

A disney lion... "Cool"... I wonder if Ratonga race will look equal "cool" as Mickey Mouse (black nose with big black round ears).

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Elmberry

A disney lion... "Cool"... I wonder if Ratonga race will look equal "cool" as Mickey Mouse (black nose with big black round ears).

They did say they are reworking Kerrans and armor on them.

• TruewayTrueway Member Posts: 38

Jesus.. not looking good.. cant really see any difference compared to WoW..

You really notice that these guys are strictly following budget/trend.. for end term profit.

EQ1 was done with passione..

EQ2 was done with money in mind (ultra realistic for its time.. this and that -0 passione) FAILED

WoW came out..made with passione WIN

EQ3 trying to copy WoW..  probably fail.. cant see myself playing a childish game i played back in 2005.. its been a decade.

The elfs look so cliché.. the big guy? looked really depressing.. i just really cant describe with words how dissapointed i am with the MMORPG market in whole.. i think WoW just made everyone so insecure.. 

And please dont quote and act like a mother "but its to early to be negative" everyone has his rights to opinions whenever they want.. there is no to "early" to say.. fools are those who play a game 100h and then realize its shit.

I HOPE THIS TURNS OUT GOOD.. ive been waiting.. 

• TruewayTrueway Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Grotar89
    Originally posted by Elmberry

They did say they are reworking Kerrans and armor on them.

Here's a suggestion - they could go back to what they had 10 years ago :)

WoW made the industry insecure.. they go with whats safe..

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Allein

Ummm.....

As pointed out they said it is still a WIP, and I said there was hope, tomorrow could show 20 foot pads. As far as going back to the human + animal head + tail that most games use, they explained this recently in a stream. Should be obvious, but they want to use the tech advancements and actually have races have characteristics of whatever creature they are resembling instead of everyone being a humanoid boring model. 10 ft Cat Creatures =/= Humans with Cat Heads and Tails.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I thought the art style would put me off as well as I am not usually a fan of cartoon styled games.. but playing Landmark i hardly notice so I dont think it will be an issue with EQN.. its a shaem they went with this style but its not the end of the world and it wont stop me playing EQN if it turns out to be good..

Originally posted by kairel182

I have no idea what you're attempting to refer to with the picture of The Dude, but you care to elaborate?

I thought it was more essential to just have him look bored with yet another opinionated post about "good" vs "bad" artstyles. Surely you know the meme associated with him, if not: here you go.

But seriously, it's getting old.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I'm not sure what to think of the graphics still..  Some parts I like, some I don't..  I actually prefer the graphics NOT be realistic, as it gives the devs more room to be creative..  However, I don't want them crossing the line going into complete cartoon mode.. I'm not a fan, nor do I care about special effects like water reflection, shading, etc. in the game.. All it does is add more stress to graphics cards with no real impact in game play..  For me, I"m content with  WoW, and GW2 type of graphics..

Game play and content is the real challenge..  I loved playing the game Elite in the 80's and that was Atari level graphics..