Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Stomping Land - "early access" scam ?

spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

The Stomping Land developer goes silent for two months, Kickstarter backers (on Steam it is called "early access")  get nervous.

The Stomping Land went to Kickstarter last summer seeking $20,000 and came away with more than $114,000, a big success by any measure. The Early Access launch took place on May 23 of this year and the first big content update, focused on "balancing and optimization," was released a week later. Another Kickstarter update followed the next day, May 30, promising that "development is still in full force" and asking for suggestions on the future of the game. But since then, the developer has gone almost completely silent, and backers are starting to worry that they've been left in the lurch.

Whatever the case, many Kickstarter backers have taken to various forums to express their anger over the current lack of activity, demand refunds and/or attempt to track Fundora down, while a Change.org petition calling for refunds and the removal of the game from Steam has grown to well over 1500 signatures since being launched in mid-July. We've attempted to contact Fundora ourselves to inquire about the situation, but have so far received no reply.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/05/the-stomping-land-developer-goes-silent-for-two-months-kickstarter-backers-get-nervous/

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Why would you get nervous about something you have no control over?  You are basically giving away your money.  If you are nervous about that, don't do it.  Scam?  Whose to say.  Anyone who gives away their money is at risk to be scammed.  Assume every dollar you pledge is being sent right into the shredder the moment you click send, if something comes of it, great, if not, oh well.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Elder Scrolls cost 200 million dollars and many developers to create

$114,000 and one guy? exactly what kind of game do you expect?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

if someone says theyre making a mmo and are asking anything less than at least few mill, it's a scam.

few million are ok for niche indy mmo, 20k wont buy you much more than 3dsmax and few courses on how to fabricate video game screenshots with it.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by kishe

if someone says theyre making a mmo and are asking anything less than at least few mill, it's a scam.

few million are ok for niche indy mmo, 20k wont buy you much more than 3dsmax and few courses on how to fabricate video game screenshots with it.

scam is an option but I dont think its the only option. I see the options as such.

1. the person is delusional and has no idea what they are doing. This is different than a scam, this is just being stupid and there are a ton of stupid people in the world.

2. There is something we outside of the industry do not know. As classic example is your 3dsmax statement. From my understanding the pricing models for tools has radically changed making is considerably cheaper for indies to work now. That said, I still think you are right that the should be looking in the million dollar range for an MMO which I didnt know Stomping Land was, I thought it was just multiplayer.

3. scam.

Personally I think 1 is the most likely.

I think most failed kickstarters are not scams but rather piss poor planning

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Originally posted by kishe

It's not an MMO.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    No sympathy for these people.  A fool and his money are soon parted.  
  • RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 577

Here is a little more info. It might be bullshit it might not be but it is a little more info. Its not exactly reassuring for you guys but its something.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/08/relax-steams-big-dinosaur-game-isnt-dead/

• PoolsharkenPoolsharken Member UncommonPosts: 8
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    scam unlikely.....bad customer service .....for sure.