Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift Patch 2.8 | Black Wednesday | The Day the Rift Economy Died

WockyCCWockyCC Member UncommonPosts: 26

Trion recently made a controversial change to the Rift Auction House

Initially charging an upfront 5% Listing fee on buyout price. They later reduced it a bit, but still the forums are ablaze with anger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-nwqv_OlA

Over 50 pages of complaints so far and climbing.

twitter @WockyCC | you-tube: WockyCC

Comments

• tomdavidsontomdavidson Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I liked that youtube video.  In the end the caster says he agrees with how the new system will stop some inflation but he thinks that the artifacts shouldn't vendor for 1 silver.  Sure why not sounds fair.  This may just blow over.
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Any time anyone talks about MMO inflation as a problem, I point them to Diablo II, where inflation really was a problem, with people using Stones of Jordan as gold, because gold was worthless.

The way I see it, as long as people are still willing to trade gold for items, inflation isn't a problem.  When you no longer even accept gold at all, that's when inflation is a problem.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Eco's in GW did just fine.. for the most part.
  • xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205

Initially I was outraged...

I usually sell stacks of artifacts at a time, cheap. I do not need them so I make a few plat here a few plat there overall. I turn around and try to fill in a few collections I need and what do I see? Common artifacts being sold for 50+ plat? Really? That's not an affordable price for common items to a collection set that gives you a common cache that has a few pots in it.

Now those people were never going to sell that before, and now after if they want to be derps and put crap commons on the AH they will have to pay for it! The result? Lower prices. Before people start telling me I am wrong, I personally have lowered all my items I place on the AH by at least 1/2 (selling most artifacts at about 1p for 60's). I can still make a few plat here and there and still cut the huge AH costs out because I'm being realistic with what I am trying to sell.

I am starting to notice crafting materials being sold a little cheaper too.  People will make less plat overall, but prices will start to align with it.

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

Any time anyone talks about MMO inflation as a problem, I point them to Diablo II, where inflation really was a problem, with people using Stones of Jordan as gold, because gold was worthless.

The way I see it, as long as people are still willing to trade gold for items, inflation isn't a problem.  When you no longer even accept gold at all, that's when inflation is a problem.

Actually you got it a bit wrong there. Diablo 2 didn't suffer from inflation. Gold was never really worth anything. No one ever would trade you an item for gold. That's not inflation of gold. Gold in Diablo 2 was simply worthless from the get go. The reason why gold was worthless was because you couldn't buy anything useful with it. Only potions and repairs.

This is why people used to trade an item for another item or for runes. RUnes were actually the currency of Diablo 2 cause they were actually quite valuable.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.