Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why all the AA hate?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Originally posted by Daxamar

AA should have never adverstice the F2P part. Its the one big mistake I see Trion has done with this game.

Shouldve just had a Limited Trial, or something else. F2P player will NEVER be on equal footing with Patrons.

Still, on this site, there would be a lot of hate for the game. Its the new, upcoming game, and that means free for all on hating it.

Goin back to lurking.

And that is not a qualifier for whether a game is F2P.  Can a player level up to 50 as a F2P player?  Yes.  Can they explore all lands in the game?  Yes.  Then it's F2P and provides quite a bit of content for what people are spending. image

Are there severe limits on F2Per's, probably so, and as it should be.  If I'm going to pay a sub fee, I expect to crush them into the ground, simple as that.  They don't like it, they can start buying stuff in the cash shop or pay a sub fee.

Or play something else.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by vidiotking

The problem with the whole LP system is that in order to be competitive, One had to buy the Founders Pack and sub and buy potions from the CS. Look at how much boats cost to build - a F2P player will have be working minimum 2 weeks (of continual) online time in order to get enough LP to build one. That doesn't include al the gold for plans etc.

A F2P game means that a F2P player can be competitive with other players but in this game you will not be. Basically, this is a sub game in the guise of a F2P game.

As a subscription player you don't NEED to buy potions. That is a misconception. I craft all the time, a lot, and NEVER have had the need to purchase LP potions.

A F2P player is not going to have that same advantage, so I agree with you there. A patron should be fine in the vast majority of cases.

Why should I buy a Patron status when the game is F2P? That means the game is NOT F2P - why don't they sell the box for the game then. That would at least give the ILLUSION that the game is F2P.

No argument there. The game is probably not very playable, especially if you want to craft/farm/own a house, if you don't get the sub. It is somewhat, but not totally, misleading to say this game is F2P. There are MANY advantages to having the sub.

That having been said, you CAN play for free.... again, it's not black and white.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Well that's fine, I guess, we can play semantics and word games all day, every day until release, it won't change the reality that when the dust settles in AA, the players who will control the economy, the territories and the resources as well as setting up the parameters for everyone else to play AA will be those who have consistently spend the most real money.

And that is my biggest problem with AA.

You state so out of opinion, I state the opposite out of experience (you can look it up in EVE all you want the people who invested the most still weren't amongst the winners by default, usually they were if they were also part of the best group around but then you really are stretching the notion of P2W). Put bluntly your problem is a fictional one and it will always be a fictional one no matter how you try to spin it.

Well, the players that most consistently win in almost every MMO are those who can put in the most time ingame. You can't play the AH to maximum effect if you can only snipe auctions for 2-3 hours per day. You can't gather boss loot to wear or sell if you're not there to kill him every time he spawns, etc.

And in AA, you don't stand a chance of grabbing a new piece of land that's been abandoned unless you are there the moment the demolition happens.

You can buy a max level character with full BiS gear and potions, but the guy who puts in 8 hours of combat practice every day will most likely smoke you every time, even with inferior gear...

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

An MMORPG that has equal footing for all?  What is this game you speak of?  I know of no MMORPG that is completely balanced for all.  Whether it's paid for or not, there will always be those that have the advantage over others.  If it didn't, nobody would play it... no ability to one up someone.  Some people see the imbalance as the real challenge... going against the grain to make what would otherwise not be a played spec or class into a fun adventure.  People complain about WoW clones... what about character clones?  You know, the ones that play the FotM class because they know it's OP.  They all have the same specs, gear, rotations... the literal definition of a clone.

Imagine a game in which no two characters can be alike... there certainly can be no balance, but then there would be no wiki pages telling you how to play the spec because it's the only one in existence.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Why all the hate?

Because where there are monkeys there will be poo-flinging.

And where there are monkeys with access to the internet there will be metaphoric poo-flinging. 

So it is with every game that gets a reasonable amount of attention. It is simply ArcheAge's turn.

All die, so die well.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

There has always been so much hate towards MMORPGs in mmorpg.com that people tend to joke about mmorpg.com being shortened version for wehatemmorpgs.com

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

Why all the hate?

And where there are monkeys with access to the internet there will be metaphoric poo-flinging. 

So it is with every game that gets a reasonable amount of attention. It is simply ArcheAge's turn.

You like the game, so everyone that points out the game's hypocrisy are haters. Nice way of looking at things - hard to get into any arguments when you will only discuss with people who have the same opinion.

This game is a basic bait and switch game. Here play this  F2P game - OH wait you want to build a boat well you can't do that because you have be a founder. Oh and also you will need a sub too.

Sheer hypocrisy.....

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205

Why all the hate?

You like the game, so everyone that points out the game's hypocrisy are haters. Nice way of looking at things - hard to get into any arguments when you will only discuss with people who have the same opinion.

This game is a basic bait and switch game. Here play this  F2P game - OH wait you want to build a boat well you can't do that because you have be a founder. Oh and also you will need a sub too.

Sheer hypocrisy.....

Or maybe you are taking the term "free to play" as far as you can take it.....If i say im gonna kill you IRL do you think im really going to kill you? If i say im starving because I missed lunch...am I really starving?

Your play on words make me laugh.....The game owes you NOTHING because you have not put a dime into it..end of story

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Trashing new games is par for the course here.

Why all the hate?

Sheer hypocrisy.....

I agree with your sentiment, to some degree. There is a bit of "bait and switch" here.

I think it's ok though. I'll give the supermarket free sample analogy.

I'ts a capitalist society. They want you to try the product, for free. They are hoping you like it enough to buy it.

TRION/XL should probaly have marketed it a little differently to avoid these critisizms.

P.S.- 2 university degrees, Graduate work, and I still can't spell to save my life.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Talketzanto

Why all the hate?

Sheer hypocrisy.....

Or maybe you are taking the term "free to play" as far as you can take it.....If i say im gonna kill you IRL do you think im really going to kill you? If i say im starving because I missed lunch...am I really starving?

Your play on words make me laugh.....The game owes you NOTHING because you have not put a dime into it..end of story

I am playing TERA right now, which is F2P with freemium type stuff in it. I can do anything in the game I want. I don't HAVE to sub or buy anything in the CS. In this game you do and that is the issue, even though it is F2P like TERA. If you want to be able to compete in this game, you will need to pay the piper, no if ands or buts about it. Only Trion can change XL Games mind and if they don't well you are stuck with what XL Games is doing.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Well, the players that most consistently win in almost every MMO are those who can put in the most time ingame. You can't play the AH to maximum effect if you can only snipe auctions for 2-3 hours per day. You can't gather boss loot to wear or sell if you're not there to kill him every time he spawns, etc.

And in AA, you don't stand a chance of grabbing a new piece of land that's been abandoned unless you are there the moment the demolition happens.

You can buy a max level character with full BiS gear and potions, but the guy who puts in 8 hours of combat practice every day will most likely smoke you every time, even with inferior gear...

But your argument always assumes that cash shop users are less skilled  and don't know how to play the game. The argument is irrelevant since the ones who will dominate are the skilled Cash Shop users.

Originally posted by Talketzanto

Why all the hate?

Sheer hypocrisy.....

I am playing TERA right now, which is F2P with freemium type stuff in it. I can do anything in the game I want. I don't HAVE to sub or buy anything in the CS. In this game you do and that is the issue, even though it is F2P like TERA. If you want to be able to compete in this game, you will need to pay the piper, no if ands or buts about it. Only Trion can change XL Games mind and if they don't well you are stuck with what XL Games is doing.

Thing is AA was not made by the same people who made Tera....nor did they follow the same F2P guidelines.

Tera was a huge fail (in the west) so I don't see why they would want to go down that route honestly. Do I like Labor points? nah who would? But I never went below 4500 LB and I got up to lvl 33.  

Question is how can the company make money off nothing but aesthetics?  Its not like GW2 where they have box sales to rely on....I know that I would not buy anything just for looks

PS: The people who are saying F2P should be on equal footing as people who sub are the same people who will NOT put out a dime for costumes ect....The only way those people will put money into the game is if they HAVE to right? 

• BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222
    Lets be clear, AAs business model is Freemium. Just like SWTORs. Can you play almost all of the content in AA without paying a penny? Yes you can.

Will you encounter more pain and restrictions than a subscriber if you choose to play without spending a penny on the game? Of course you will and thats the way it should be.

I am totally gobsmacked that ANYONE in this day and age reads the words free to play and thinks oh that means i get the full experience for free...

If Trion had perhaps used the word Freemium or Hybrid this discussion would not even be taking place.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Why all the hate?

Sheer hypocrisy.....

First, don't assume that you know or understand my motivations in what i post.  Assuming hypocrisy comes across as projection.

Two, free players can build boats. If you are going to criticize a game then criticize it for what it is rather than what you assume it is.

Three, I don't think a free to play system is well suited to this game. Time gated crafting heavy games never are. That doesn't mean that it isn't a free to play game. It is. But I would agree that free to play doesn't fit well. Because of that they have to make limitations that more or less gate players from certain portions of the game. This is never ideal. But if they don't,  the ability to create unlimited accounts will overwhelm economy. There is a reason EVE has never gone F2P and I don't think it ever will. 

But since the only real solution is to simply give the game a monthly fee and remove the free to play option all together, I really don't understand the palpable dislike for the limitations of the free option. Limitations vs No access at all. At least there is a free option for those who have no choice of it.

All die, so die well.

Why all the hate?

Sheer hypocrisy.....

First, don't assume that you know or understand my motivations in what i post.  Assuming hypocrisy comes across as projection.

Two, free players can build boats. If you are going to criticize a game then criticize it for what it is rather than what you assume it is.

Three, I don't think a free to play system is well suited to this game. Time gated crafting heavy games never are. That doesn't mean that it isn't a free to play game. It is. But I would agree that free to play doesn't fit well. Because of that they have to make limitations that more or less gate players from certain portions of the game. This is never ideal. But if they don't,  the ability to create unlimited accounts will overwhelm economy. There is a reason EVE has never gone F2P and I don't think it ever will. 

But since the only real solution is to simply give the game a monthly fee and remove the free to play option all together, I really don't understand the palpable dislike for the limitations of the free option. Limitations vs No access at all. At least there is a free option for those who have no choice of it.

Good post! Eliquently put.

• taglatagla Member UncommonPosts: 4

I don't hate it, but I don't like it, either. I got a beta invite (I guess because I'm a Rift patron?), and gave it a try.

Character creation was OK. I was able to create different looks. Fun! 

Within seconds of getting in-game, however, I got a big negative reaction from the initial NPC. An asian girl giggling "TEE HEE HEE HEE!!!"  with her hand over her mouth, bending over at the waist in hilarity. At basically nothing. WTF? Did I mention she looked about 12? 

The music is not at all immersive; some sort of asian pop that doesn't lend itself well to fantasy environments. Then I killed a few of the first creatures I came across (very odd-looking but I liked the style of them). I had to use LP to even get my loot. You loot "bags" and need Labor Points to open the bags, or no loot for you! Again, WTF?

I wandered around for a bit, trying out my combat skills, talking to NPC's, killing mobs, looking at the scenery. And I was done. It just didn't appeal to me at all. I think maybe I'm too "western" to enjoy all the asian-style things in this game. And those little giggling asian girls -- well let's just say I get bad headaches from that much eye-rolling. Seriously, those girls need to just go away.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I dont hate the game but it might seem like that when I get in a debate with others.

On paper (and from watching videos) I should love the game but when I played it there were several things I didnt like about it.

Having said that, I do think its a strong step forward for the 'mainstream MMOs' which is good. Many players are going to experience things they never have before. I however already have in the games I am play.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

I don't think anyone hates the game as a whole (well, I'm sure there are some, but whatever, there will always be those types of people). I could see not liking the standard quests or combat, but there's so much more to it than that. The main issue people have is the LP system.

You can't really blame them. From a glance, it truely does seem like some sort of Facebook-Style cash-grab energy-esque system. Without playing it extensively, and experiencing that system first hand, all you have to go on are the words of others.

Personally, I'm of two minds about it. When it eventually launches, I'll try out and subscribe for a month. If the LP system doesn't effect my enjoyment and the amount of time I can put into gathering, then I'm good.

The LP system is a cash grab that can be easily replaced by changing the reward systems of AA.     

- If they want to limit the reward of questing, then lower the exp rate.

- If they want to limit the reward of crafting, then lower the success rate.

- If they want to limit the reward of looting, then lower the drop rates.

Those are the most simple and direct ways those activities can be changed to achieve the exact same functionality of the LP system.   

Ok so it cost 2 LB to open a "loot bag".

Lets say you have 5,000 LB (which is max right now)

approx 15 out of 100 mobs drop "loot bags"

Do the math and you would have to kill  16,666 mobs to run out of LB.

Also I didn't include the fact of Labor regen...

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Having said that, I do think its a strong step forward for the 'mainstream MMOs' which is good. Many players are going to experience things they never have before. I however already have in the games I am play.

Well say it. 

I really like AA but it could be much better imo, and everthing that is implemented can be improve and even go to other levels of deep.

I really hope more games come out on the path of AA, because imo is the correct one.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

I don't think anyone hates the game as a whole (well, I'm sure there are some, but whatever, there will always be those types of people). I could see not liking the standard quests or combat, but there's so much more to it than that. The main issue people have is the LP system.

You can't really blame them. From a glance, it truely does seem like some sort of Facebook-Style cash-grab energy-esque system. Without playing it extensively, and experiencing that system first hand, all you have to go on are the words of others.

Personally, I'm of two minds about it. When it eventually launches, I'll try out and subscribe for a month. If the LP system doesn't effect my enjoyment and the amount of time I can put into gathering, then I'm good.

The LP system is a cash grab that can be easily replaced by changing the reward systems of AA.     

- If they want to limit the reward of questing, then lower the exp rate.

- If they want to limit the reward of crafting, then lower the success rate.

- If they want to limit the reward of looting, then lower the drop rates.

Those are the most simple and direct ways those activities can be changed to achieve the exact same functionality of the LP system.   

And be back at the same spot but only with success chance potions instead. Really you people are starting to become annoying. LP is in place to counterbalance the ease of access to multiple accounts for anyone (even free accounts, a half way decent 2013 PC can run 2-3 clients at once on shit level graphics and just multitask his way up). Also crafting already has what... a 12.5% chance to yield a T3 from a T2 and that's without taking into account the odds for a T2 so adding in fail states will actually turn it from a acceptable grind to a monumental grind.

And as for lowering drop rates... WoW is that way ===>

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I think the problem is on two fronts.  

The first being that free players are severly restricted in their gameplay.   Probably enough to the point that calling this microtransaction game " free " is even dubious at best.  The game is much closer to a subscription model with an endless trial that severly restricts gameplay. 

The second being that spending more in the cash shop than 1 sub gives a massive advantage to a player, and this is directly tied to the existence of the LP system.   In most games players need to something with that second account to gain any benefit, but in AA that second account can just exist to gain LP.  

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    At the risk of feeding the trolls you do know this is MMORPG.com right? People come here to hate on any game that they are not playing because of fear. Fear of their current MMO is dieing and bashing others with no good reason is a sad attempt to bolster their MMO.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by thinktank001

I think the problem is on two fronts.  

The first being that free players are severly restricted in their gameplay.   Probably enough to the point that calling this microtransaction game " free " is even dubious at best.  The game is much closer to a subscription model with an endless trial that severly restricts gameplay. 

The second being that spending more in the cash shop than 1 sub gives a massive advantage to a player, and this is directly tied to the existence of the LP system.   In most games players need to something with that second account to gain any benefit, but in AA that second account can just exist to gain LP.  

The first point is patently incorrect by virtue of APEX even existing and F2P not having access to two things: houses and posting on (not buying off) the auction house.

The second point is also monstrously incorrect because LP pots, the only advantage giving item in the damn lot of em, are too expensive for anything other than emergency (read: wartime) usage by people who do not want to splurge 15 $ and allot of extra time on a second account (LP pots were what? 2 $ a pop? And with a 12 h account wide cooldown? yeah dear lord so OP). Also as to your point of multiple accounts: 1) Name one MMO which hasn't allowed this since UO first got put out? (thought so) 2) You do have to do stuff with that second account because you cannot trade LP directly ergo you need to level that account up at least in non-combat skills and then dual box.