Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what kind of game do you want the NEXT BIG MMO game to be?

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I dont want to play the next big mmorpg as the really big ones all tend to be the same.. basically a themepark clone and its not my type of game.

The only mmorpg I am looking forward to at the moment is The Repopulation, I expect that to have strong player numbers but it wont be for everyone so I dont expect to see big numbers like wow.

But for sake of discussion, what type of game would you like to see become big?

Failure or not. Thats in the eyes of the beholder (well and the developers/producers, but we will leave them out of this for the time being image)

You answer your own questions first and maybe I will answer yours...

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Sandbox Sci fi ground, air, and space game along the lines of  pre-CU SWG but without the Star Wars IP so the game make does not have to pay both arms and legs for the rights.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I want the next MMO to be something completely different from current games.

It would be nice if the game was made by people who actually play pen and paper games and want to try to bring the experience to a computer game but it is far more important that the game feels nothing like the MMOs out today.

If a new MMO similar to Wow would be the next big one that would be the last for the genre, we would get another 10 years of games by EA and Activision that would be just like the last 10 years and I don't think there would be any more MMOs after that.

Hopefully wont the next big one be either a traditional themepark or a traditional sandbox, we had UO, EQ and Wow as the three big ones in the past and while it would be possible to turn UO into something different and popular just Blizz turned EQ into Wow it would be better for the genre if we actually got something new.

If I had total choice I would love to see a Shadowrun based MMO which mixed both sandbox and themepark elements with Shadowruns original mechanics (instead of the usual D&D based levelmechanics) and more focused on guilds (well, streetgangs, player run corps and smaller Shadowrunnner groups) than on getting loot or improving your own stats.

With a science based system allowing corps to compete about science while hiring in runners to steal and sabotage research of their competition while the streetgangs and corporal police forces fight for control of the city. That part sandbox while having npc corps and streetgangs for more themepark style PvE as well.

Mix in some DEs and a few (but large and hard) quests and we would have something.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    edit snipped so i dont get accused of double posting was visually unappealing

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606
    I want the next big MMO to be Everquest Next
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Fantasy.  Rated mature; violence, blood, erotic themes/clothes, inter race and same sex marriage, divorce.  Pioneer medieval woodsy world (mountains, streams, lakes, ruins, ocean).  Seven zones - six longitude: Hades, Underground, Surface, Treetops, Sky, Heaven plus Ocean zone.  Complete client control of character creation with art program including wardrobe; all presets made by community.  Starting races - water breathers, air breathers, denizens of underworld, the winged (cannot leave your starting zone until cities and spells acquired, consecutively).  Colorful dragons with genetics.  Dragon breeding, riding, fighting and flying.  Their eggs found in caves.  700+ egg caves on ground, in sky, underworld, and seas.  Incubation period one week in community maintained bonfire(s) on land or volcanos (non land zones).    Dragon offspring gain highest stats of both parents, compounding each generation.  World PvE RPing server(s).  PvP guild castle wars and arena but NO REWARDS (as in no forced content to gain income or status).  Elaborate personal country farm homesteading (housing) plus community city build sites.  No working auction house until a city has jail, bank, and market street.  No skills learned until city has religious building, martial and mage schools.  No underwater skills learned until merfolk city established.  No flying skills until fly city established.  No death spells until Underworld established, etc.  Skill based.  Mod-able UI.  Art program to create craftable furnishings with presets by community.  Play lag-free on older PC's.  Skyrim-ish graphics but not limited 1st person camera angle.  Large world emphasis exploration but no achievements without rewards.  Craft any learned recipe no skill climb/repetitious leveling (Minecraft style - you have the recipe you can make it).  Nothing can be bought from an NPC !!!  Recipes found in dungeon chest loot.  Once learned forever stays with your char (unless world destroyed).  No classes.  No levels.  Skill and spells found in the world at random; sell or learn them.  At least 350 party dungeons plus 350 solo dungeons on map but must be found and opened thru exploration.  Dungeon finder ONLY for a different daily dungeon on a 24hr cycle random pick of open dungeons available or dungeon that has least been up.  Many deadly roaming mobs that can either smell, hear, or see and appear at different times/places day or night anywhere no patterns.  Mobs have elemental weaknesses (weak to lightning would die quicker if attacked with lightning spells).  Landscapes that are not always easy to cross.   No invisible wall.  Ocean swimmable from shore to shore.  In game money only in chest rewards or from crafting commerce - mobs don't drop coin or armor but you can skin anything and use the skins.  Pay to play $4 a month with cosmetic cash shop (dyes, tattoos, wedding apparel, non combat pet eggs).  Cash Shop items sell in game on Auction House.  NO BOUND ITEMS.  NOTHING SOLD BY NPC's!  {Yes I wrote that twice}   Real life, money trade, auction house in game.  Ban & IP Block accounts for RMT chat spam.  In game jailing system 3 day max imprisonment for petty offenses (trolling GM's, chat spam not RMT, dishonoring guild policies, taking advantage of game glitch for profit, harassment, etc).  Multiple quest-chain storylines with cutscenes employing at least 40+ voice actors tyvm.  Make your own cutscene quest dungeons with mic  voice options your own voice or presets (separate program but finished product accessed thru tavern NPC's Neverwinter style).  Ultimate boss must be defeated in cycle of 365 real life days or world implodes with lava and earthquakes and floods (no cutscene actual log in and experience the quaking end) - then complete world reset.  Community made character, clothing, and furniture presets can be backed up to use in new world but not stats.  24hr shift rotate maintenance dev crew and email public relations staff.  3 closed betas no subscription until open beta; $75 1st beta access, $25 2nd beta access, $6 3rd beta access.  No VIP.

Ouch, my eyes. 

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

Not picky for genre. Either Fantasy or Sci fi would be great. I might lean more towards Sci-fi since it hasn't been done overmuch.

MMORPG exclusively or better named a Virtual World Simulation with RPG elements. VWSRPG?

I enjoy wildstar's system for combat, though I am not picky. So long as it doesn't become a shooter.

No open world PvP, or at least to be able to opt out of it 100% of the time. No factions either. All factions are player designed via guilds or player founded nations (you have player founded nations right?).

WASD movement exclusively. Point and click will lose me right away.

Yes for raids, yes for dungeons, yes for dynamic events, I will put forward an idea for dynamic quests (but not the GW2 idea of dynamic quests)

Arena PvP and large scale PvP should be a part of the game, but again. Not the sole focus of the game.

Don't particular care for housing either way. I like having housing, but I don't want to be babysitting it because it might get destroyed. (Guild housing that you have to fight for though would be neat though!)

Not picky on voxel world. But it does make sense. I should be able to dig my way into awesome dungeons and things. Or 'Let something loose' that would need a raid to kill. Monsters should be able to build their own settlements too. Migratory patterns would be neat.

The next big MMO has to evolve past 'Sandbox' and 'Themepark' labelling. It needs to be both, and neither at the same time.

One of the issues I see now is that design focuses to slow player progression via time gating to maximize subscription time, or to encurage micro payments. (Dailies, reputation, lockouts, level caps, etc) The game's content needs to be designed in a way that it is essentially self driving and doesn't require massive developer updates (the dreaded content cycle) in order progress. EVE online has a great example of having a self driving PvP content cycle, being territory control, resources and market.

A Rough PvE example of this in a Sci Fi game could be a malicious empire or invader that controls a subset of planets and if left alone will begin to attack player settled planets. As the players fight back and progress through the story more events will open. The idea is to have all of this generated procedurally by script as needed on the player's demand with the developers being responsible for consistantly adding in storyline ideas and events triggers into a database it can pull from. Instead of an entire team creating and making a single zone for an update or expansion and the players having to wait for content.

I would love to have an MMO that allows for a wide variety of progression, both vertically and horizontally, enough so that it could never be capped and in such a way that any gains made, feel useful and worthy to work towards.

It is rather hard to articulate in words, but really what it comes down to in the end, is that the 'Next Big MMO' has to be an actual virtual world where nearly anything is possible, and where the players dicate the terms of story development and the speed of story development. Not so much as it is currently, where the worlds are set onto rails and the developers already have a 'story' in mind that they want to tell and often times there are large gaps between content releases.

• FingzFingz Member UncommonPosts: 139

Minecraft harvesting, crafting, building + TERA combat

I want a 1000 players at once to be visible onscreen without a server crash.

Originally posted by PioneerStew
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    -snip-

Ouch, my eyes. 

sry

• Fantasy.  
    • Rated mature; violence, blood, erotic themes/clothes, inter race and same sex marriage, divorce.  
    • Pioneer medieval woodsy world (mountains, streams, lakes, ruins, ocean).  
    • Seven zones - six longitude: Hades, Underground, Surface, Treetops, Sky, Heaven plus Ocean zone.  
    • Complete client control of character creation with art program including wardrobe; all presets made by community.  
    • Starting races - water breathers, air breathers, denizens of underworld, the winged (cannot leave your starting zone until cities and spells acquired, consecutively).  
    • Colorful dragons with genetics.  
    • Dragon breeding, riding, fighting and flying.  
    • Their eggs found in caves.  
    • 700+ egg caves on ground, in sky, underworld, and seas.  
    • Incubation period one week in community maintained bonfire(s) on land or volcanos (non land zones).    
    • Dragon offspring gain highest stats of both parents, compounding each generation.  
    • World PvE RPing server(s).  
    • PvP guild castle wars and arena but NO REWARDS (as in no forced content to gain income or status).  
    • Elaborate personal country farm homesteading (housing) plus community city build sites.  
    • No working auction house until a city has jail, bank, and market street.  
    • No skills learned until city has religious building, martial and mage schools.  
    • No underwater skills learned until merfolk city established.  No flying skills until fly city established.  
    • No death spells until Underworld established, etc.  
    • Skill based.  
    • Mod-able UI.  
    • Art program to create craftable furnishings with presets by community.  
    • Play lag-free on older PC's.  
    • Skyrim-ish graphics but not limited 1st person camera angle.  
    • Large world emphasis exploration but no achievements without rewards.  
    • Craft any learned recipe no skill climb/repetitious leveling (Minecraft style - you have the recipe you can make it).  
    • Nothing can be bought from an NPC !!!  Recipes found in dungeon chest loot.  
    • Once learned forever stays with your char (unless world destroyed).  
    • No classes.  
    • No levels.  
    • Skill and spells found in the world at random; sell or learn them.  
    • At least 350 party dungeons plus 350 solo dungeons on map but must be found and opened thru exploration.  
    • Dungeon finder ONLY for a different daily dungeon on a 24hr cycle random pick of open dungeons available or dungeon that has least been up.  
    • Many deadly roaming mobs that can either smell, hear, or see and appear at different times/places day or night
    • anywhere no patterns.  
    • Mobs have elemental weaknesses (weak to lightning would die quicker if attacked with lightning spells).  
    • Landscapes that are not always easy to cross.  
    • No invisible wall.  
    • Ocean swimmable from shore to shore.  
    • In game money only in chest rewards or from crafting commerce - mobs don't drop coin or armor but you can skin anything and use the skins.  
    • Pay to play $4 a month with cosmetic cash shop (dyes, tattoos, wedding apparel, non combat pet eggs).  
    • Cash Shop items sell in game on Auction House.  
    • NO BOUND ITEMS.  
    • NOTHING SOLD BY NPC's!  {Yes I wrote that twice}  
    • Real life, money trade, auction house in game.  
    • Ban & IP Block accounts for RMT chat spam.  
    • In game jailing system 3 day max imprisonment for petty offenses (trolling GM's, chat spam not RMT, dishonoring guild policies, taking advantage of game glitch for profit, harassment, etc).  
    • Multiple quest-chain storylines with cutscenes employing at least 40+ voice actors tyvm.  
    • Make your own cutscene quest dungeons with mic  voice options your own voice or presets (separate program but
    • finished product accessed thru tavern NPC's Neverwinter style).  
    • Ultimate boss must be defeated in cycle of 365 real life days or world implodes with lava and earthquakes and floods (no cutscene actual log in and experience the quaking end) - then complete world reset.  
    • Community made character, clothing, and furniture presets can be backed up to use in new world but not stats.  
    • 24hr shift rotate maintenance dev crew and email public relations staff.  
    • 3 closed betas no subscription until open beta; $75 1st beta access, $25 2nd beta access, $6 3rd beta access.  
    • No VIP.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    The one in my Signature.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Originally posted by Avanah
    The one in my Signature.

Camera angle first person?  Races other than human?

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by Muke

100% sandbox

multiple 'career' directions instead of just fighting.

1 big server instead of 1000 'realms' with a population cap.

exploration

no portalling to other sides of the map, I prefer manual travel

open PVP

no instance/lobby based game

steep learning path, no spoonfed game

prefer sci-fi instead of the usual naked elves in miniscule armor.

Eve?????

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like the MMO's with player created content.  Also, a great story written by the writers themselves.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i wanted world of darkness or a good survival horror MMO. i did want EQN but i am going to wait and see how that game shapes up before i get interested in it.

i do not want to play a full sandbox game like people here, i don't want to mainly craft and build shit, i just want a deep and meaningful mmo with a different feel.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    SWG2
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    One that simulates a virtual world without instances or quest based leveling, and encourages grouping, and has risk vs reward baked into every feature.
  • maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I want a Fallout MMO.  Or even just a MMOFPS i can stand for more than 1 hour would great.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

All i want are game with a lot events to join and mobs to beat up

I don't want to see a MMORPG with "quests" reward experience anymore .

Oh , and no instance end game raid . just no .

Want to see again epic open world end game raid

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    • non-fantasy so Historical/Modern/Futuristic
    • action based (not tab)
    • no levels - skill based and classless (at character creation) although you can choose a class depending on your skill choice
    • skills are passive only - action keys used to activate gadgets and tools
    • full crafting system and player economy
    • 3 faction - Blue/Red/Neutral
    • World PvP based on faction (Neutrals non-PvP in Open World - act as Merc in Battlegrounds)
    • All options available at start for progression so you can Quest/PvP/Dungeon/Raid from the start

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

I want a mmo were you get more xp if your in a group compared to being solo.

I want non instance dungeons that are open and no set path to follow, with NM's and gathering/fishing in them to. I want dungeons to have multiple exit's out to different parts of the world.

I want a huge world with limited fast travel, I like to journey across the world not port everyware.

I want NM's that will can spawn at random times, that are much stronger than other mobs in the area. I wont areas you hafta sneek past mobs, because if they see you they will chase you across the whole map, and will most likely kill you.

I want it to only be able to solo farm lower level mobs than you currently are. All mobs your level should be extremely difficult to solo.

I don't want everything given to me instantly, I wanna have to work on stuff to unlock other stuff. For example, when you first start out in a city no will know who you are. After you do several beginner quest's, your fame in that city will raise and then more people will begin to offer you quest's. In ffxi there were 10 fame rank levels, and you had to do a lot of quest's to max out your fame to get all the quest's. Raising your fame, also lowerd prices on items in shops, plus shops would sell new stuff to you aswell.

I want to actually ride in a boat to travel, and airships to.

I want a really strong player driven economy, where crafters make the best stuff. Crafters should make bullits,arrows, tools, items like that, where people hafto keep a good supply on them, since they should run out. Also people should use items like sneak oils, and prism powerd, which will cause you to sneak/invisible around mobs. Which will aventually run out, and hafta use another one. Then buy more of those when those run out again.

I'm pretty much comparing my experiances from ffxi to ffxiv, and I really wish we could get a modern mmo like ffxi pre abbysea used to be again.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

- 3D world with 3rd person option is a must have for me.

- combat and graphics must be at least ok

- Animations must be good.

- Now, the most important part:

A Extreme Deep Political System with territory control where everthing we do, solo or grouped, must have impact on this system in some way, and i mean everthing.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Either a pro wrestling MMO.. Seriously.

Or Day Z on super roids. Since we all like solo gameplay so much.

a yo ho ho

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I want it to be a 100% true sandbox. I want to see what happens to people once they actually get to play the type of game they've been asking for. I also enjoy the suffering of others though....

The same thing that happens when humans are allowed anything.... They will screw it up and ruin it for everyone.  =)

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by DMKano

This is so easy - the game devs are so clueless

1. Seamless open world game no instances all players in the same world - easy

Finaly the most important - monetization - the game would  be B2P with monthly recurring fees but completely free to play with NO fees for most days of the month. You could also buy in game subscription with real money! Players who pay would get it completely free - so basically a 100% Free to play game with no cash shop.

Win-Win

LOL Thanks this made my morning, and is 100% true!

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

A subscription based turn based game, AAA preferably.

It's never been done properly before, theres grid based dofus/waku which are both meh, and atlantica is a P2W crapfest.

After all these years I'm still salty the final fantasy MMO's are just generic tab targeting games.

I want generic turn based games, darn it.