Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game mainly "Click 2 Move"? How smooth is the gameplay?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

You are MMOExposed...yet you have yet to play L2?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Thats why I am here isnt it?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704

Yes,

It's primarily "click-to-move".  Keep in mind, this game was released before WOW popularized WASD+Spacebar movement & jumping in MMOs.

For what it's worth, there used to be an option (I think) to go WASD...but is a very half baked implementation, and not fluid at all.  Click to move IS different, but not all that bad....especially given the long distances you'll have to run in the game.

You can click way off in the horizon in the direction you want to run in, and sit back.  You can also manipulate your movement by targeting a monster or player and press one of your skill keys.  Your character will run to that character to attack / heal.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Not smooth at all, to me.  Never enjoyed the movement/controls or how large buildings/roads are, it all seems just odd and ruined my immersion so that I could never play this for any length of time.  Tried 3 times over the years, and nothing has changed.  Even the running animation is odd.  the one race, dark elfish one, forget the name, seems to run in a constant bent over position, it is just plain odd.  Game is also the epitome of a Korean grinder, worst type of gameplay I could ever imagine, people must really love vegging out to monotonous gameplay that is basically like being on a production line with how linear and mind numbingly repetitive it is.  
  • AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140

It is totally bizarre the way that you have to specially enable WASD movement (and you will need to) in the optiojns, and it's not even obvious how you do it. There is no strafing, and it's the only game of its type I've seen where you can't jump.

For a game that relies on click-to-move, its routefinding is atrocious. If there is a small boulder in the way, your character will stop right there until you navigate round it. If you stand next to a tree to the south of it, and there is a monster standing next to it to the west of it, you can't attack the monster without moving away from the tree first.

Using WASD to move, you often can't go up a step (and no jump, duh), but when you click to move, then you can get past the step.

Was this game ever playtested?

• MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263

click to move > WASD

If you cant navigate with the mouse then i would suggest you to play xbox shooters with controler and never ever go play pc games in your life. Just saying.

Game play is very smooth, very responsive.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Aori
    Still one of the worst optimized games ever released.

Can I ask what you are basing that on? The reason I ask is because it is one of the MMOs known for having some of the smoothest running large-scale battles. I'm curious why you feel it's not only bad but one of the worst optimized games ever released.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

...and does not know the term 'Point and click"?

When the account showed up, I thought it's was an account managed by the MMORPG.com staff to generate threadnaughts. Since then I've become convinced that either that's true, or they look the other way on a lot of his posts because of the traffic they generate.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

It used to be mainly/only click-to-move, and it's still a way to play it. The WASD/Mouse setup used to be horrible, and I'd have never recommended it to anyone.

However...

They have, since Goddess of Destruction, implemented a full WASD/Mouse system that plays, for me, every bit as smoothly as it does in any other MMO. I tend to click-to-move in L2, through pure force of habit (years of playing will do that I guess :p)... but when I catch myself, I will switch back to WASD/Mouse now, because it is so well implemented now.

Just make sure you have "Enter to chat" enabled in the game config. I think it's in the "Shortcuts" tab... if I recall correctly. It's the furthest tab to the right in the config window,  in any event. Without that enabled, pressing any number or letter will automatically put you into the chat box.

So, if the click-to-move was putting you off... you can safely omit that concern.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Aori
    Still one of the worst optimized games ever released.

Can I ask what you are basing that on? The reason I ask is because it is one of the MMOs known for having some of the smoothest running large-scale battles. I'm curious why you feel it's not only bad but one of the worst optimized games ever released.

You weren't asking me, but I'll provide an answer.. if that's okay :p

L2 has always had issues with lag, going back as far as I can remember - clear back to Beta/Prelude. While they've improved it a bit, it's still an issue now. Maybe location has something to do with it, but anywhere I've lived in the country (NY, Florida, Texas, N/S Carolina), it's been there.

It can be especially bad in towns, and at sieges.

NCSoft implemented a default hot key 'P', that will automatically full-toggle you into low detail "siege mode". It drops everything down to its lowest possible setting, but makes Sieges many times smoother to participate in.

The reason for the lag is due to how the game was designed. They took the Unreal 2 engine and retro-fitted seamless, streaming world tech into it. Though they did a fine job of making it work, they couldn't quite squash the chop/load times. Unreal 2 tech's maps are pretty "heavy" in file size, so when you're approaching a zone line, and the game begins to stream in the next area, you'll notice the chop. It's especially noticeable if you're coming up on a location where 4 zones meet up at a corner.

It's not completely unplayable.. but it is noticeable, and sometimes pretty annoying.