Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this website always so slow?

observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
It's been like this for years.  Is it a hosting problem?

Comments

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

me its like 2 days now..

I think indeed its an hosting problem aswell tho..

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

More than 2 days... just been getting worse and worse... you just notice it a hell of a lot more now.

A blame the constant barrage of advertising being refreshed/loaded... either that or their competitors... if there is such a thing for these sites... is doing a DDOS attack on them.

LOL, I can get a cup of coffee in the time it takes to load a page link. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

It's worse than usual now, but I agree, this website is always slow. It's usually just a second or two, but it's always that second or two of unnecessary waiting that could be avoided.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Yeah, I've been coming here for 10 years and it's run like crap on and off all those years.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

(Breathes a sigh of relief).

Thought it was just me.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I would have replied sooner, but it took 10 seconds to load, then 25 more seconds to save.

Seriously though, I've had the slowness here for a couple of years, but it's definitely getting worse here lately.  Perhaps it's a sign that the universe is ending soon.

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445

I was waiting for someone to make a thread about this. The damn page takes forever to load now. Probably all these crappy League of Angels advertisements flashing all over the screen.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    They need to go with a better host provider.  Looks like saturn5.net is hosting it out of NY.  I've never heard of them.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

I would have replied sooner, but it took 10 seconds to load, then 25 more seconds to save.

Seriously though, I've had the slowness here for a couple of years, but it's definitely getting worse here lately.  Perhaps it's a sign that the universe is ending soon.

It seems to be better now. (for me at least)

Earlier it took me so long to load the page after hitting reply that I eventually just cancelled the whole thing and said F it to my reply. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    WoW news I'd guess.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Poorly optimized ad barrages.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Dauntis
    Poorly optimized ad barrages.

This.

After adding a specialized ad blocking software, the website now loads much faster.

Though I will miss the boobs on some MMO adds... *thinks of League of Angels*

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by greenreen

The site could be coded better.

It's using a lot of trackers too. In this screen you can see that it contacts at least 22 websites other than the domain you type in. Now, browsers can only get 2 things going concurrently per domain.

Also, it's massive for images. They need to either use sprites or look into better image formats like SVG.

It also has lots of browser specific tags resulting in browser errors - I got 82 from Opera.

Here's an image of what happens when you visit the homepage - pay attention to the requests in grey, those are each time your browser had to load/store something is the easiest way to explain it.

http://i.imgur.com/Boc3WcK.png?1

I'm a web developer by trade and this site is bloated is the easiest way to put it. It's not all the server, the code could use plenty of changes. You can see that this site is delivering about 1mb of data which is on the high end for today's standards. I use a goal of 200-300kb per site, this is easily 3 times that meaning they need to optimize.

Here's a site that shows how out of control people have become with media lately. I blame it on all the frameworks people are using. Some don't even know how much it's dragging down their site because they didn't write them.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/average-web-page/

There's a mantra that has been used since the 2000's in web development circles. You have 6 seconds to capture your audience.... before they leave. If this site chooses to give 4 of those to trackers, that's on them :P

I think if you tried explaining page weight and load times to most web devs today they'd just stare at you like a deer in the headlights. It's right there with 'mobile friendly' and RWD on the list of strange voodoo that they leave up to their CMS of choice. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Also, getting tons of garbage spam mail suddenly.   What's up with that?
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Teala
    Also, getting tons of garbage spam mail suddenly.   What's up with that?

Same here. About 1 every :45 to 1 hour apart for the last 2 -3  days.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This is the website that made me try an adblocker. I used to visit this on an old linux pc and the flash ad crap was severly slowing that browser down. It could even become unresponding. After trying an ad blocker it sped up immensily. I never looked back.

I know they need to  earn from ads, and up to that point I never had a problem with ads on a website. But this website was just frustratingly slow because of it. It is as if they just stack as many trackers and ad networks as possible without even looking considering performance.

Anyway, after some years and flash becoming notorious for driveby infections to not updated pc's (or updated when hit with 0day), I also started using an ad blocker on my windows pc.

I really think that web developers should move away from flash altogether. But unfortunately advertisement agencies are kind of slow with that, they like loud and flashy.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I was wondering this as well, it's always super slow.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I always attributed the slowness of this site to my internet connection, but ive got 20mb download speed now, and still its sooooo slooow, even more noticible now that my internet is good and EVERY other site loads instantly.

Please fix thnx!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

It has been bad recently.   They really need someone to professionally code this site.  Here is some more info.

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/141125_J0_78P/

Half of the 20MB download is image and they should look into image compression.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Yeah it is getting very bad. The site hardly loads even after 2 minutes.
    Chamber of Chains
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    It's always horribly slow. Every other forum site I use is instant.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    It seems to have gotten even worse the last few days or so.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Forgrimm
    It seems to have gotten even worse the last few days or so.

Hey guys,

Trust me, we've noticed it too. Our CTO, Ben Krueger is looking into it with the hosting team and we'll report more once we have news.  One server is being rebuilt right now, but that shouldn't/wouldn't slow the whole thing down as much as it has been,

Believe me when I say our new site will be A LOT faster. It already is in a test environment, and we can't wait to show bits of it off to you soon.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.