Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing Defiance!

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Defiance is a very fun FPS/MMO. I originally started this game on my PS3. But recently switched to my PC. If you have never tried this before I recommend it!  This game is pretty cool once you start getting gear and ego boosts.

Things to know:

Make sure to use a Xbox controller with your PC. Works BEST! Seems the gameplay is much better with a Xbox controller. I bought one just for the PC.  Still not used to the xbox setup compared to my PS3/4 controller.

Early on you get a couple EGO points, make sure to spend them! They enhance your character significantly.

Make sure to turn blur off. Much better to see what you are shooting at :-)

Also, if you have a low end computer. Make sure to set the graphics resolution to a lower setting. You can get choppy movement.

Make sure to lower your mouse sensitivity. The standard is pretty agile.

Gameplay:

Make sure to use your map frequently.

Always restock your ammo from crates anytime you see one. Nothing worse than losing your primary weap against multiple mobs.

Loot!! Loot and loot some more!@!

If you like any of the Borderland series games you are sure to like this.

My own personal gameplay strategy. Always stay moving. Learn to strafe while moving. Only time you should not move is if you are a sniper. Use shotguns for up close mobs. Use your other weapons at range.

Make sure to run for cover if your shield drops. Wait for it to charge or use a shield power up to get back in the heat of battle.

Good luck! And this game ROCKS pretty hard ;-)

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I totally agree with the OP, play firefall, its such a good game now.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    I totally agree with the OP, play firefall, its such a good game now.

Uhhhh...

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Defiance is well worth playing. I got the game originally when it was still B2P and have gone back to it every now and then since.

It might not appeal to hardcore FPS fans, but I think it's nice for the occasional "action fix", the stories are fun.

Besides, it's free, so it's not like you lose anything if you don't like the game.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

I'm enjoying Defiance at the moment, but it has to be said, as a new player the tutorial sucks.

My advice is go to the official forum and do a bit of research.

As an example, I found out the hard way that you could only have one mission at a time.  When you start out at the crater, you get jobs to do such as clear out snipers and rescue medical supplies.  All groovy as you get your first vehicle there.  What is not great is that if you don't pay attention (as I didn't), you wind up on a mission that takes you to the ar$e end of the map and miss the radio station quest which is just down the road (this is because the bint that gives it is in the cabin).

My only other beef with the game is how it keeps bombing out during arkfalls and incursions.  Normally just before you finish them. 

Other than that, it is a load of fun.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by B1mble

I'm enjoying Defiance at the moment, but it has to be said, as a new player the tutorial sucks.

As an example, I found out the hard way that you could only have one mission at a time.  When you start out at the crater, you get jobs to do such as clear out snipers and rescue medical supplies.  All groovy as you get your first vehicle there.  What is not great is that if you don't pay attention (as I didn't), you wind up on a mission that takes you to the ar$e end of the map and miss the radio station quest which is just down the road (this is because the bint that gives it is in the cabin).

My only other beef with the game is how it keeps bombing out during arkfalls and incursions.  Normally just before you finish them. 

Yeah I encountered that today. It' absolutely stupid that they put the Season 2 ep1 mission in the camp and the Season 1 mission up the hill, so New players end up accidently taking the Season 2 mission instead, which takes you after the first tier straight to a far point in San Francisco, which you cannot Reach as New player! As you need to progress far enough in Season 1 story first to get rid of that huge robot blocking the bridge, which is basically a content gate. As San Francisco is a very tough area, which requires you to have build enough EGO and decent gear!

Really terrrible and sloppy work by TRION to Place the NPC's this way! :-/

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I had a blast in Defiance for a few months since launch, but then that enjoyment faded fairly quick. I cant just log in and spend hours just driving and shooting. That game has always needed more NPC interactions and a bunch of non combat activities. If you arent driving around and shooting then there is nothing to do in game.

Both of those features are even part of the TV show so i dont know why they arent in game. It feels very insipid, but i doubt any of that will change at this point.... unfortunately.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

I had a blast in Defiance for a few months since launch, but then that enjoyment faded fairly quick. I cant just log in and spend hours just driving and shooting. That game has always needed more NPC interactions and a bunch of non combat activities. If you arent driving around and shooting then there is nothing to do in game.

Both of those features are even part of the TV show so i dont know why they arent in game. It feels very insipid, but i doubt any of that will change at this point.... unfortunately.

And hence why the population dropped to a frost point that it needed to go F2P to survive.

If they not going to add anything meaningfull in near future (and I don't mean just another zone (Silicon Valley) just to yet again just drive around and shoot)), then even F2P isn't going to help them.

The Cash Shop doesn't offer anything. So I can't imagine them making much money off it at this point.

All this game has going for is grinding EGO and then grind some more EGO and so more, more and more......zzzzzz.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by B1mble

Yeah I encountered that today. It' absolutely stupid that they put the Season 2 ep1 mission in the camp and the Season 1 mission up the hill, so New players end up accidently taking the Season 2 mission instead, which takes you after the first tier straight to a far point in San Francisco, which you cannot Reach as New player! As you need to progress far enough in Season 1 story first to get rid of that huge robot blocking the bridge, which is basically a content gate. As San Francisco is a very tough area, which requires you to have build enough EGO and decent gear!

Really terrrible and sloppy work by TRION to Place the NPC's this way! :-/

LOL, I noticed that when I came back from a several months break.

My first thought was "WTF is that doing here?" followed by "Oh awesome, it looks like they've permanently opened up these missions now!" and I forgot all about what a nightmare that must be on true newbies. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/