Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A bit surprised at the low population in game.

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by alexanys1982
    Its a good game. Problem is they used same cartoon style as WoW.  I truly feel like if they had gone another route graphically the numbers would be better.

It totally kiled it for me. I could not stand the childish look of the game.  I wish the game all the best though.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    Originally posted by mbrodie
    another one of these threads... who would have thought, poor wildstar already dying.

It is not dying. However, it is quite apparent that very few if any new players are entering the game. If you think that this is normal or good just 2 months after release then by all means, be my guest. 

Do not forget it is summer time. :-) Stil as said I'm leaving Eco in few days. Game is fun, like it .. just can not swallow down that 1 toolbar. Period.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by alexanys1982
    Its a good game. Problem is they used same cartoon style as WoW.  I truly feel like if they had gone another route graphically the numbers would be better.

It totally kiled it for me. I could not stand the childish look of the game.  I wish the game all the best though.

Khm, for this reason, of cartoony look, I was not present at original Wow release but short after BC. What a mistake I did was obvious on first day to me when I started ACTUALLY to play Wow, not just watching on Youtube or kids of friends. Best thing I ever did. And soon felt actually in love with Wow cartoony look. Hope they never change it, still more details are welcomed. Same with Wildstar, really love his cartoony look, it is their own, not copied from any1, .... leaving for completely different reasons however.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This game isn't worth 60$+sub and will definitely go f2p probably next year.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by daltanious
    another one of these threads... who would have thought, poor wildstar already dying.

It is not dying. However, it is quite apparent that very few if any new players are entering the game. If you think that this is normal or good just 2 months after release then by all means, be my guest. 

Do not forget it is summer time. :-) Stil as said I'm leaving Eco in few days. Game is fun, like it .. just can not swallow down that 1 toolbar. Period.

So i guess summer time is effecting only WS of all the MMOS out there.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

This game isn't worth the bandwidth it takes to download, or the processing power used to uninstall.

Game is empty & the mechanics are annoyingly simplistic. Sad... Such potential squandered trying to skim WoW subs...

-Chuckles
  • reemireemi Member UncommonPosts: 45

It's hard to find reasons to pay to play this game. I never found a single reason.... 

That's the problem! 

Originally posted by reemi

It's hard to find reasons to pay to play this game. I never found a single reason.... That's the problem! 

Because there honestly isnt a reason. Everything this game provides can be acquired from something cheaper. Its not worth the investment.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by bcbully
    @zargo "can't think of any major mmo which has robust population I the beginning zones"

Here's one, ESO.

Got me on semantics.....

I shouldn't have given such an absolute statement. 

But c'mon - we all know that a good general statement about linear theme park mmo's (especially with a sub) is that they are well populated at release in the starter zones, and it tapers off from there, so that within a few months after release, the starter zones are sparsely populated.

Some f2p models have created a pretty robust starter area, but their mid-levels are pretty sparse. They didn't solve the underlying problem.

This really isn't that odd or controversial an observation. 

And I'm getting tired of defending something you all know is true.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

No its effecting TESO too, because i cant explain why is on 44 place (WS is in 24) in Raptr played hours. Except if Raptr is not counting hours only for TESO of all the MMO's out there...

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

The problem with this game is it has nothing that says "I'm worth 60$." Hell, even TESO doesn't and everyone defending it knows the pop went up only because it was 50% off not long ago. So tossing 30$ to try it out isn't really that big. Right now (in my opinion) the popularity is running FFXIV > TESO > Wildstar since those 3 have been the hot issues on this site lately.
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

WoW > FFX>GW2 (b2p ofc)>WS=SWTOR (semi f2p)>TESO

Weekly played hours in Raptr, which is tracking more than 30m players. Not showing absolute numbers but for sure a good % sample. Its not random either that LoL & Dota 2 are always in the first 2 places.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

Really? I'm usually bored from any game in hot summer time so I'm logging to any game I have access and installed on my computer or have played in past to play a little in name of old memories. Doing this for long years now and I know myself.

I in free weekend tried AAR not long ago. Would not call that really populated. Contemporanely to WS subscribed to Swtor. Ok, decent number of folks, but still far from what I'm used to and how many were just prior to WS release, GW2, hey, where is every1, CO logged just for fun this night - empty (ok, ok, here I logged pretty late), TSW just tried today ... a lot of ... zoombies and zero living souls in two areas at least, .... EQ2 same, .... Can't say for Wow but been playing for long since last year close up to release of WS and will return month before Wod, ... Currently just updating LOTRO client I have not been playing for at least 2 years and AoC (I think played last summer for short). Will see later. Besides this there are not really a lot of games I would bother at all to check. Edit: ah, yes, just remembered that I have to check with Rift too (which I uninstalled completely soon after expansion, but maybe is time to check back. Downloading now.

So ... YES, summer time is effecting ALL, not just WS. I can say this even if not tried really ALL. So what you are playing that is FULL so I can try also?

• BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by Vyeth

Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

I am waiting for the justice league of defenders to drop down on parachutes to take over the thread and start talking about how they can't move an inch without bumping into someone, and that you must have been playing in bad hours, bad server, bad map, bad universe.

Because the balance in the galaxy must be preserved and bad opinions must be balanced with good ones, and the good game is the one I am playing at the moment.

Originally posted by Annekynn

For a relatively new game i was kinda surprised to see the low population. Zone chat is empty, starting areas are empty. I was hoping for a very busy game but so far it feels very lonely. i didn't come across one player during my 5 hours play time. Granted i am only lvl 15 but game is new. So where is everyone?

I chose Stormtalon (PvE), which was the only MED server and that too during 7 pm. All other servers were low.

Starting zones should be empty 2 months after release. And zone chat is rarely used given that most people are either busy chatting on teamspeak/ventrilo/mumble or in the capital cities zone chat which I always see busy.

The cavalry has arrived (judging by the avatar selection)..

Their statement is however typically true, no matter the game.  Some servers are however visibly low on players, especially if one plays Dominion.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/103951-80man-scorchwing/

Followed the link in your post...wow...dead game is dead lol....

One reason that you dont see many people in the starter zones is that the game is not overly alt friendly albeit I was levelling an alt 1 - 9 last night on my server and there were people everywhere.

Another reason the starter zones are not that busy is that most of the serious players are already capped and working on attunement....there is more end game content in WS than pretty much any mmorpg that has released in the last 5 years....AT RELEASE.....

• kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    It's summer time could be a reason of low pop in the game?

I believe that it's summer on only 1/4 of the world, on the next 1/4 it's autumn, on the next it's winter, and on that last 1/4 it's spring... no?

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by kinart
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    It's summer time could be a reason of low pop in the game?

I believe that it's summer on only 1/4 of the world, on the next 1/4 it's autumn, on the next it's winter, and on that last 1/4 it's spring... no?

There are 2 hemispheres... it is currently summer for the Northern Hemisphere, which pretty much covers the vast majority of the NA/EU population (Aussies the big exception.)  Having said that it is a new game...and the population in general feels lower than it should be for a new game.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Okay, i made a small experiment tonight by creating both faction characters in TOR on all starting planets. I also visited Dromund Kaas, Coruscant, Taris and Balmorra.

It seems that summer time isn't affecting TOR as i saw plenty of players everywhere. 

• Drew213Drew213 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    I only saw 5 other people and that because they participated in the final mission before you switch newbie zone.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by kikosforever

No its effecting TESO too, because i cant explain why is on 44 place (WS is in 24) in Raptr played hours. Except if Raptr is not counting hours only for TESO of all the MMO's out there...

As a person who just purchased ESo days ago, I can say it's not being effected as there are plenty of people around in lower tiers, lower overall population or not. It's still rough at times to get a solitary kill as most quest mobs still get over run by a number of players

People being around to play with is what matters to this subject (it's an MMORPG), not which game has a healthier population overall only two months in.

If they're all in the top tiers it has a negative impact on the experience in those lower tiers, further hurting retention, especially in a game based on hard dungeon runs as it's mainstay focus. Most early arguments about wildstar were in favor of the game at level 20 and it's first dungeon encounters, without people around that will not be the case, as many fans said early on that's what grabbed them and brought them fullsail into the experience. That can't be good for WS if people don't get to experience that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by BetaBlocka
    Originally posted by Vyeth

Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

I am waiting for the justice league of defenders to drop down on parachutes to take over the thread and start talking about how they can't move an inch without bumping into someone, and that you must have been playing in bad hours, bad server, bad map, bad universe.

Because the balance in the galaxy must be preserved and bad opinions must be balanced with good ones, and the good game is the one I am playing at the moment.

Originally posted by Annekynn

For a relatively new game i was kinda surprised to see the low population. Zone chat is empty, starting areas are empty. I was hoping for a very busy game but so far it feels very lonely. i didn't come across one player during my 5 hours play time. Granted i am only lvl 15 but game is new. So where is everyone?

I chose Stormtalon (PvE), which was the only MED server and that too during 7 pm. All other servers were low.

Starting zones should be empty 2 months after release. And zone chat is rarely used given that most people are either busy chatting on teamspeak/ventrilo/mumble or in the capital cities zone chat which I always see busy.

The cavalry has arrived (judging by the avatar selection)..

Their statement is however typically true, no matter the game.  Some servers are however visibly low on players, especially if one plays Dominion.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/103951-80man-scorchwing/

Followed the link in your post...wow...dead game is dead lol....

One reason that you dont see many people in the starter zones is that the game is not overly alt friendly albeit I was levelling an alt 1 - 9 last night on my server and there were people everywhere.

Another reason the starter zones are not that busy is that most of the serious players are already capped and working on attunement....there is more end game content in WS than pretty much any mmorpg that has released in the last 5 years....AT RELEASE.....

I could point out many screens of SWG that look like that (EVen post NGE), yet we know it's history.

You can't really sit here and defend (dead) zones, it's no good for people just coming into the game, or those on these trials. YEah top tiers are full because it's at that mark in it's lifespan, but an MMO needs more than just top tier players, it needs a healthy overall base otherwise those coming in will view it as dead... Regardless of screens like that, it doesn't matter to them if they can't experience it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by kikosforever

As a person who just purchased ESo days ago, I can say it's not being effected as there are plenty of people around in lower tiers, lower overall population or not. It's still rough at times to get a solitary kill as most quest mobs still get over run by a number of players

People being around to play with is what matters to this subject (it's an MMORPG), not which game has a healthier population overall only two months in.

If they're all in the top tiers it has a negative impact on the experience in those lower tiers, further hurting retention, especially in a game based on hard dungeon runs as it's mainstay focus. Most early arguments about wildstar were in favor of the game at level 20 and it's first dungeon encounters, without people around that will not be the case, as many fans said early on that's what grabbed them and brought them fullsail into the experience. That can't be good for WS if people don't get to experience that.

ESO has a single mega server.  Any game would look well populated, if the entire player base was on a single server.  Even then ESO is being affected and its one of the reasons I quit.  Mid levels were a ghost town.

I find it amusing you are all skipping the fact that two things happened recently.   Destiny and WoW/WoD beta.   Yes, Destiny beta has now ended, and there's also more new players showing up in Wildstar.

WoW and Wildstar has the same demographic, other than Wildstar leans towards WoW of old.   It is a well known tactic of Blizzard to release something a month after a competitor releases.   It is exactly what they did here and those  WoW players that went to Wildstar headed off to the beta.   Blizzard have just done a character wipe, and again Wildstar is seeing more people return.

I know plenty of people who left WoW in disgust of the content drought, only to leap into the beta from the various games they floated off to.  Most have now stopped playing, since their characters were wiped and are returning to the other games.  And people wonder why there keeps being sweepstakes for the beta keys.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Okay, i made a small experiment tonight by creating both faction characters in TOR on all starting planets. I also visited Dromund Kaas, Coruscant, Taris and Balmorra.

It seems that summer time isn't affecting TOR as i saw plenty of players everywhere. 

Yep, you can't take five steps without running into players in TOR's newbie zones during prime time. And even most mid-range planets have a good amount of them running around on them.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Yep, you can't take five steps without running into players in TOR's newbie zones during prime time. And even most mid-range planets have a good amount of them running around on them.

The difference with SWTOR is its F2P.   Even the really bad ones have plenty of players.   I bet GW2 is still going strong as well.

Certainly don't want to put SWTOR down, as it does appear to be turning around.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

The difference with SWTOR is its F2P.   Even the really bad ones have plenty of players.   I bet GW2 is still going strong as well.

Yeah, the F2P helps immensely with that.

And I have little doubt it'll also do wonders for Wildstar once they get there.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Yes, but that's because both those games merged servers.  A lot of people make alts too, which makes it even more populated than they really are.  Both of them don't have a subscription either, and this has hurt Wildstar's beginner zones.  I don't know how many servers they have, but if they have too may, this also another factor as to why the zones seem less populated.  These MMO companies never learn.