Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is the "open world"?

124»

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I climbed the highest mountain
    I decended in the deepest valley
    I crossed the ocean
    I reached the bottom of the sea

Without a single loading screen

Not open world ?

k man whatever lol.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

what is funny about AA is that unless you are clever and willing to do some work you cant get to the next area without following the road. It is really funny to suggest that game is open world.

This thread is essentially claiming blue is red...

SO because a game has mountains that are difficult to climb, it's not open world?

And who woulda thunk up something as asinine as roads leading you around mountains, why would they do that!?!? Most of skyrim's mountain ranges are this way (select paths to lead you up or around them)..., it also has Load screens to get into city hubs, it must not be open world either. GTA has buildings I can't get around and must follow roads or paths, must not be Open world either, and to the guy who said if mobs aren't scaled (ala TES) it's not open world HAH! That's a good one... No MMO has ever been open world then...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by BetaBlocka
    Originally posted by mbrodie
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by DMKano
    the problem is AA is seamless not open world.

Wikipedia disagrees with your definition of open world.

AA is seamless and open world to a large degree (enough to meet the criteria for definition).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

i could care less what wikipedia says

Seamless - no loading screens but still sends you from zone to zone dictating the level of mobs in each zone giving you a rails leveling experience.

Open World - Go and do what you want... like other open world games where mobs dont really have levels but are on templates... a rat is always gonna be a rat no matter what zone you're in it's always going to be the same difficulty.. a bear is going to be a bear no matter what zone you're in always the same difficulty... it's up to you to find the mobs that present the best challenge / reward for yourself... not know if you go to said zone there will be mobs the same level as you.

If we are all going to use our own definitions and not stick to some standard than any meaningful discussion is moot.

You are talking about leveless design - open world games don't have to have mobs without levels, this is your own definition.

So by your own definition - if ArcheAge simply shuffled all the mobs and had many different levels of mobs in every region - would you say its an open world game?

you trying to compare AA to open world is like trying to compare EVE online's game world to WoW.... WoW is seamless, EVE is open world.

Edit - and no, because AA still has zones based off levels.. putting higher level mobs into the mix changes nothing

starter zone - level 1 - 5, next zone level 5 - 11, next zone level 11 - 18 etc... it's completely on the rails.. i cant just go looking for adventure

Edit 2 - and off the wiki "An open world is a type of video game level design where a player can roam freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives."

AA doesnt give me that freedom.. it gives me quests which tell me what mobs to kill and where to kill them, trade route quests, quests to get my first farm, quests to get my first ship... sure i can go kill mobs, but then you miss out on your first farm not doing the quest etc...

I'm sorry if AA is the second coming for you, but after playing a substancial amount of hours over the course of like 2 and a half months or something, the game is heavily flawed, with potential but not enough... hacks and bots are out of control, combat being handled client side instead of server side was a terrible design choice, considering it's on the crytek engine the graphics are super average even maxed out.... it just doesnt do it for me, it's not a real open world game, it's more themepark then sandbox and it doesnt live up to the hype at all.

Just out of interest, would you describe SWG (lets say Pre CU) as an open world mmorpg?

i would say swg pre cu is more open world then AA... simply because, (and even though you couldnt go kill rancors as soon as you entered the game) a rancor is always a hard as a rancor is going to be regardless of what zone it is in for example, you had to find where the more challenging mobs were to progress rather then be handheld... now once you knew what planets had what creatures etc... it obviously made it a lot less redundant, but you know what im saying.

Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by BarCrow

You can't go wherever you want in the real world. I can't go everywhere I want in AA either however I can go more places and in more ways than I can in real life. That's open enough for me...and far more open world than most of the MMOs I('ve) play(ed).

I feel it is very open in other words. WOW used to feel that way to me too until  Cataclysm. Now it's this and LOTRO for open worlds imo.

R.I.P Vanguard

wrong.

lets take the starter zone for starters. 

if it was as many 'open world' games are you could go north, south, west, or east and be able to travel a good distance.

As someone who commonly plays 'open world games' I can tell you this game is restrictive in this regard.

I was able to get from one zone to another zone without following the road but it took a shit ton of clever climbing.

its silly

Actually not... even Skyrim has the climbing bit... especially when trolls start cropping up and you do not have a good fire weapon. Tastes =/= facts.

what is funny about AA is that unless you are clever and willing to do some work you cant get to the next area without following the road. It is really funny to suggest that game is open world.

Can you only access the next part of the map by following the road to a specific entry/exit point....or can you climb or glide over mountains and other natural obstacles and appear in the next part of the map at any point you choose with no loading screen in between?

If the latter which is how i interpret even your own description then its open world.

no loading screens = seamless...

Originally posted by TheScavenger

If ArcheAge is an open world MMORPG...then that means WoW is too.

I can spend hours figuring out how to climb a mountain in WoW...and go down the other side...no loading screen or following a path to get to it. Just take a lot of time to do so. Which some have done, me included.

this guy gets it... WoW and AA are both seamless not open world.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

You can't go wherever you want in the real world. I can't go everywhere I want in AA either however I can go more places and in more ways than I can in real life. That's open enough for me...and far more open world than most of the MMOs I('ve) play(ed).

I feel it is very open in other words. WOW used to feel that way to me too until  Cataclysm. Now it's this and LOTRO for open worlds imo.

R.I.P Vanguard

wrong.

if it was as many 'open world' games are you could go north, south, west, or east and be able to travel a good distance.

As someone who commonly plays 'open world games' I can tell you this game is restrictive in this regard.

I was able to get from one zone to another zone without following the road but it took a shit ton of clever climbing.

its silly

Actually not... even Skyrim has the climbing bit... especially when trolls start cropping up and you do not have a good fire weapon. Tastes =/= facts.

Can you only access the next part of the map by following the road to a specific entry/exit point....or can you climb or glide over mountains and other natural obstacles and appear in the next part of the map at any point you choose with no loading screen in between?

If the latter which is how i interpret even your own description then its open world.

level appropriate content=/= not open world, SWG pre-cu had levels too.

R.I.P Vanguard

wrong.

its silly

being able to do it with great diffiuclty and cleverness and just being able to walk into a forest to do it ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

AA options are either follow the path or put in a lot of work and cleverness, its silly to equate that with an open world but hey if that is your idea of an open world then have fun bro

Lol....you accuse others of obfuscation and then drop vague, meaningless statements such as "great difficulty and cleverness" :)

Do you have to access the next map section via roads and specific choke or exit points or can you, in fact access the next section of the map from any point on the ajoining section by climing up over mountain ranges or flying over them.....

We both know it's the latter, which clearly makes the game open world.....your use of fuzzy phrases and excuses does not change the fact.

lemme explain something to you from a technical standpoint... the reason the mountains are tricky and hard to climb up and take time rather than being an easy access point to the next "Zone" is the same reason why if you follow the road it's long with nothing happening on it except minor scenery with even lower res textures then are in the actual world zones....

while you are doing either of these trips the game is dumping the previous "zone" out of your ram and loading the new "zone" into your ram... thats seamless not open world... seamless gives the sense of a large open world with simple memory dumping and loading techniques.. is it good, yes it is it gives a better play experience... the continents on WoW do the exact same thing, when you're going through one zone to another and it might take you through a cave or tunnel, it does that so it can dump exsisting zone out of memory and load the new zone in....

that doesnt make the game an open world game, i cant go anywhere in the game where you would expect to find "bears" for example a forested area and kill bears in that area, because the zones are gated by level based content.

Originally posted by fardreamer

a rat is always gonna be a rat no matter what zone you're in it's always going to be the same difficulty.. a bear is going to be a bear no matter what zone you're in always the same difficulty... it's up to you to find the mobs that present the best challenge / reward for yourself...

this is what i imagined a openworldgame would be like.

that is because thats what a true open world game is about.. not level gated content derived from the zone you are in.

R.I.P Vanguard

wrong.

its silly

no.. it had skill trees that you gained experience to unlock new tiers, each of said tiers had an experience threshold to unlock the new tiers under that.

Originally posted by TheScavenger

If ArcheAge is an open world MMORPG...then that means WoW is too.

I can spend hours figuring out how to climb a mountain in WoW...and go down the other side...no loading screen or following a path to get to it. Just take a lot of time to do so. Which some have done, me included.

this guy gets it... WoW and AA are both seamless not open world.

Seamless and open world are essentially the same exact thing.

no.. it had skill trees that you gained experience to unlock new tiers, each of said tiers had an experience threshold to unlock the new tiers under that.

World design and skill progression have nothing to do with each other. Nor does mob con. systems. The only way to make MMO's like TES where creatures are always in your range is to use phasing. WHich really wouldn't take away the Open worldness, it would simply separate players to tiers, rather than the creatures/NPCs.

Originally posted by Distopia

World design and skill progression have nothing to do with each other. Nor does mob con. systems. The only way to make MMO's like TES where creatures are always in your range is to use phasing. WHich really wouldn't take away the Open worldness, it would simply separate players to tiers, rather than the creatures/NPCs.

who said mobs being always in your range... mobs had a template and no matter where you went they were always the same difficulty... that has nothing to do with phasing at all, like i said a rat is always going to be a rat, it will never be significantly stronger or weaker then any other rat if you wanna get super detailed within a few hp or stat points, but you will never have a level 10 rat and a level 40 rat... a rat will always remain the same. A bear will always be a bear, they will all be relatively strong as each other UNLESS there is a specific reason why they are stronger as someone else said.. infused by magic etc... other than that no matter where you go in the world the bear is always going to be the same difficulty, if we're in a level based system... the Bears for example, you could not kill at level 12 but now at level 18 you can kill them fairly easy but at level 28 you almost one shot them no matter where in the world bears are. in a non level based system it can be defined by the gear you're wearing which can be based off skill trees you have progressed and unlocked etc... it could also go off your skills, have adept you are in using them, what skills you have unlocked a certain mob could always be hard no matter what gear you have or how adept you are at your skills but you now have enough skills / utility spells to be able to kite or lockdown said mob to be able to kill it even though it takes a significant amount of time.

again seamless = no loading screens it's basically the definition of a seamless game " While procedural generation does not guarantee that a game or sequence of levels are nonlinear, it is an important factor in reducing game development time, and opens up avenues making it possible to generate larger and more or less unique seamless game worlds on the fly and using fewer resources. This kind of procedural generation is also called "worldbuilding", in which general rules are used to construct a believable world."  let's a developer load zones in and out of memory on the fly removing loading screens.

open world = isnt just having no loading screens it's about freedom which i dont have in AA i cant go to a level 40 zone and find mobs there that i'm able to kill that yield experience for me, i have to follow the set path of zones... other games have offered that different zones / planets may have different mobs on them, but they may also have the same mobs you find throughout other zones that you can kill, allowing me to explore and gain experience as i go.

Edit - but you know what, it doesnt even matter AA is the greatest open world, seamless, sandbox game ever created and the only thing worth ever playing again, nothing comes close and nothing will, people who disagree are just haters with apparently no understanding of how games work etc... LONG LIVE ARCHEAGE!

who said mobs being always in your range... mobs had a template and no matter where you went they were always the same difficulty... that has nothing to do with phasing at all, like i said a rat is always going to be a rat, it will never be significantly stronger or weaker then any other rat if you wanna get super detailed within a few hp or stat points, but you will never have a level 10 rat and a level 40 rat... a rat will always remain the same. A bear will always be a bear, they will all be relatively strong as each other UNLESS there is a specific reason why they are stronger as someone else said.. infused by magic etc... other than that no matter where you go in the world the bear is always going to be the same difficulty, if we're in a level based system... the Bears for example, you could not kill at level 12 but now at level 18 you can kill them fairly easy but at level 28 you almost one shot them no matter where in the world bears are. in a non level based system it can be defined by the gear you're wearing which can be based off skill trees you have progressed and unlocked etc... it could also go off your skills, have adept you are in using them, what skills you have unlocked a certain mob could always be hard no matter what gear you have or how adept you are at your skills but you now have enough skills / utility spells to be able to kite or lockdown said mob to be able to kill it even though it takes a significant amount of time.

again seamless = no loading screens it's basically the definition of a seamless game " While procedural generation does not guarantee that a game or sequence of levels are nonlinear, it is an important factor in reducing game development time, and opens up avenues making it possible to generate larger and more or less unique seamless game worlds on the fly and using fewer resources. This kind of procedural generation is also called "worldbuilding", in which general rules are used to construct a believable world."  let's a developer load zones in and out of memory on the fly removing loading screens.

open world = isnt just having no loading screens it's about freedom which i dont have in AA i cant go to a level 40 zone and find mobs there that i'm able to kill that yield experience for me, i have to follow the set path of zones... other games have offered that different zones / planets may have different mobs on them, but they may also have the same mobs you find throughout other zones that you can kill, allowing me to explore and gain experience as i go.

You're applying some odd logic here. Open world simply means the world is open. It's not a zone. One continent/area, stands in the same plane as the next. Which is what seamless means as well. EVen though all games no matter what are zoned and have seams, they're just invisible in open world designs, meaning you don't load between them. Loading is handled as you approach.

You're applying some odd logic here. Open world simply means the world is open. It's not a zone. One continent/area, stands in the same plane as the next. Which is what seamless means as well. EVen though all games no matter what are zoned and have seams, they're just invisible in open world designs, meaning you don't load between them. Loading is handled as you approach.

and that is where you are incorrect.. by definition on the wiki

An open world is a type of video game level design where a player can roam freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives.

AA does not give you the freedom, open world games are based around freedom( given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives) as in, i'm not dicated to what zone i have to be in to where i have to level, seamless games are made to have no loading screens, i dont understand why this is such a hard concept to grasp... honestly.

Edit - just as another point and fact off the wiki - Nonlinear, AA is incredibly linear if you want to quest or grind it's linear to the max.

"

Gameplay and design[edit]

An open world is a level or game designed as a nonlinear, vast open area with many ways to reach an objective.[6] Some games are designed with both traditional and open world levels.[7] An open world facilitates greater exploration than a series of smaller levels,[4]or a level with more linear challenges.[8] Reviewers have judged the quality of an open world based on whether there are interesting ways for the player to interact with the broader level when they ignore their main objective.[8] Some games actually use real settings to model an open world, such as New York City.[9]"

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

An open world is a type of video game level design where a player can roam freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives.

AA does not give you the freedom, open world games are based around freedom( given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives) as in, i'm not dicated to what zone i have to be in to where i have to level, seamless games are made to have no loading screens, i dont understand why this is such a hard concept to grasp... honestly.

Edit - just as another point and fact off the wiki - Nonlinear, AA is incredibly linear if you want to quest or grind it's linear to the max.

"

An open world is a level or game designed as a nonlinear, vast open area with many ways to reach an objective.[6] Some games are designed with both traditional and open world levels.[7] An open world facilitates greater exploration than a series of smaller levels,[4]or a level with more linear challenges.[8] Reviewers have judged the quality of an open world based on whether there are interesting ways for the player to interact with the broader level when they ignore their main objective.[8] Some games actually use real settings to model an open world, such as New York City.[9]"

You must have missed the part where this game is a MMORPG, no progression = whining by everyone and their dog that it isn't an RPG and before you say SWG again: that game had levels just that they were more like power levels not quantified levels like in WoW.

"

You must have missed the part where this game is a MMORPG, no progression = whining by everyone and their dog that it isn't an RPG and before you say SWG again: that game had levels just that they were more like power levels not quantified levels like in WoW.

skill points hardly count as levels... it just gives you open ended choice about what classes / abilities to go with.

• BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222
    @mbrodie

If you want to get technical even in pre CU SWG did have levels...they were just not visible to players unless you went ranger and specced the relevant skills...then you could identify a player or a mobs level.
  • BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222
    @mbrodie

You agree that SWG was open world but in SWG there is no way a newb could go to Dath and do anything other than die...yet earlier you defined open world as giving a player to have meaningful interactions in any part of the world....so IS SWG open world by your definition or not? Im confused...
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I'm beginning to wonder how some people participate in real life?

"Hey man you want to go to the movies? I'll drive"

"What..drive? You have to drive to the movies? If I can't slip out the attic window...climb over my neighbors houses and drop down next to the ticket box office...then why bother going to the movies at all? I suppose you'll tell me there are roads as well. Pffttt!"

The real world is not open either. Sometimes I even doubt that it is "seamless".

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Great! When I was already sick to friggin death with the stupid "is AA a sandbox?"/"help me define sandbox for you" threads, now this! Now we get to hear everyone's definitive definition as to what open world is too? .... /yawn

Must we define it to like it?

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    The world is open. The mountains you might think block your way can be climbed. Finding the closest and Highest peak and gliding across entire areas is one of the funnest ways of getting around.
  • zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

"What..drive? You have to drive to the movies? If I can't slip out the attic window...climb over my neighbors houses and drop down next to the ticket box office...then why bother going to the movies at all? I suppose you'll tell me there are roads as well. Pffttt!"

The real world is not open either. Sometimes I even doubt that it is "seamless".

In other hand, we dont have to gather flowers or kill rats, if we want to go to the cinema irl. Do we?

I wouldnt mind killing mobs to train weapon skills, or actually mining to train mining, but why I'm forced to grind thousands of mind numbing quests, for two weeks, before I can even start the game is beyond my imagination.

• djangohdjangoh Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I don't really post often but, when I played the RU version I didn't start out with a Glider, Mount, Or Boat. They where obtained through the quest line that was presented before me yet no one has mentioned this.
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by zzax

In other hand, we dont have to gather flowers or kill rats, if we want to go to the cinema irl. Do we?

I wouldnt mind killing mobs to train weapon skills, or actually mining to train mining, but why I'm forced to grind thousands of mind numbing quests, for two weeks, before I can even start the game is beyond my imagination.

Understood, but I'm referring to open-worldness not the quest system which is piss poor like most. 

On that note...your post reminds me of thinking how bad it would be to live in the Resident Evil game reality. Even without the Zombie/Twisted DNA freaks. Just to go to the bathroom you have to go to the garden. Dig up a key that opens the safe which has a lever that raises a gate in the basement to get a crowbar that shifts a giant pedestal that hides the keycode to the laboratory which has a bookshelf that covers the doorway to the bathroom.

That would seriously suck.