Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is ArcheAge going to be another get to max level in a week and quit game?

13»

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    Originally posted by steelwind
    Originally posted by Takoo

Or the games are way too easy and focus on end game content leaving nothing to do. I never had the problem of running out of stuff to do in SWG, EQ, DAOC, AC..

Seems to be this new age of MMOs that are easy.

But hey ArcheAge wont be like that because it is a real sandbox. Instead of a game that has been hyped as one but really is a themepark with some sandbox elements in it.

[mod edit]

As someone who has about 16 months of AA experience, I can tell you that it is virtually impossible to even scratch the surface of the game in that amount of time and the sheer amount of activities to do in the game will give you far, far more goals than just about any MMO out atm. Even after more than a year of playing, I still had many many goals left to accomplish.

IMHO if you are searching for a game you can play measured in years, AA is your ONLY option atm.

I'm in the CB2 and I'm really having a hard time even wanting to play it.  I keep hearing the game is so in depth and crazy, etc.  But all I can find is just a quest hub grinder, what level do I have to be to start doing other things.

And what are the other things in this game that can be done?  I'm to burnt out on quest grind mmo's this late in my gaming history.

Well as others mentioned you only really have important quests to do up until level 15 (for freebies which speed things along), afterward pick a thing you'd like to do (farming, crafting, treasure hunting, trading, pvp, etc) and get to it. Trading is one of the more interesting ones (be it trading your goods or those you got from someone else...hehehe) and treasure hunting as well (both kinda need a ship tho, rowboat probably works tho).

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

To answer the OP, probably.  Here is the problem with "sandbox" games, they get boring rather fast.  I know I will get flamed on here for saying this but it's true.  EVE great game, sandbox, never really took off, same with SWG.  A true sandbox game is more time consuming than even most raid centric games because people have to create things to do.  Bottom line is subconsciously human beings crave direction and clearly defined goals.

My honest opinion is that most gamers look back at sandbox games with rose tinted glasses just as they do with most "old school" MMOs.  I think the idea of a sandbox game is much more appealing than an actual sandbox game.

As far as the whole "We want the leveling process to take a long time!" attitude, I don't think most modern gamers can handle this. 

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Right now OP, AA does indeed look like a hit it and quit it type deal. I'm more interested in seeing how they keep players interested in max level before I write it off though.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TakooTakoo Member CommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    Originally posted by steelwind

Or the games are way too easy and focus on end game content leaving nothing to do. I never had the problem of running out of stuff to do in SWG, EQ, DAOC, AC..

But hey ArcheAge wont be like that because it is a real sandbox. Instead of a game that has been hyped as one but really is a themepark with some sandbox elements in it.

[mod edit]

As someone who has about 16 months of AA experience, I can tell you that it is virtually impossible to even scratch the surface of the game in that amount of time and the sheer amount of activities to do in the game will give you far, far more goals than just about any MMO out atm. Even after more than a year of playing, I still had many many goals left to accomplish.

IMHO if you are searching for a game you can play measured in years, AA is your ONLY option atm.

I'm in the CB2 and I'm really having a hard time even wanting to play it.  I keep hearing the game is so in depth and crazy, etc.  But all I can find is just a quest hub grinder, what level do I have to be to start doing other things.

And what are the other things in this game that can be done?  I'm to burnt out on quest grind mmo's this late in my gaming history.

I am in close beta also.. Seems like a quest hub game to me.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Spankster77

To answer the OP, probably.  Here is the problem with "sandbox" games, they get boring rather fast.  I know I will get flamed on here for saying this but it's true.  EVE great game, sandbox, never really took off, same with SWG.  A true sandbox game is more time consuming than even most raid centric games because people have to create things to do.  Bottom line is subconsciously human beings crave direction and clearly defined goals.

My honest opinion is that most gamers look back at sandbox games with rose tinted glasses just as they do with most "old school" MMOs.  I think the idea of a sandbox game is much more appealing than an actual sandbox game.

As far as the whole "We want the leveling process to take a long time!" attitude, I don't think most modern gamers can handle this. 

And yet EVE, a subscription based game you state "never took off", is the only subscription based game that has continued to add subscribers year in and year out. 

For a game that "never took off" that's pretty impressive. 

And then there's UO, which is still running with a subscription. 

But then I have to wonder how well most of the sandbox MMO's that have released would do if they weren't buggy, underdeveloped messes when they release.  Even EVE released in a horrible state, but then it also released as the only sci-fi space MMO in the market. 

Sorry dude but EVE is still climbing in subs and will shoot up even more once the EVE-like gates open for extra-galactic derpage while WoW is slowly falling in subs. People crave the right mix of direction and freedom, too little of either and people leave.

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Sorry dude but EVE is still climbing in subs and will shoot up even more once the EVE-like gates open for extra-galactic derpage while WoW is slowly falling in subs. People crave the right mix of direction and freedom, too little of either and people leave.

Ok so EVE has been "climbing" in subs so it went from 200k to what 250k maybe?  I am not saying EVE is a bad game, I am saying that in terms of successful MMOs EVE has less subs than a plethora of other themepark type MMOs.  WoW, LOTRO, RIFT, SWTOR, ESO, etc.  I am just saying that I think many more people enjoy themepark style MMOs than enter a world and create your own destiny type MMOs. 

This is my opinion based off sub numbers of games, it's not fact.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Ok so EVE has been "climbing" in subs so it went from 200k to what 250k maybe?  I am not saying EVE is a bad game, I am saying that in terms of successful MMOs EVE has less subs than a plethora of other themepark type MMOs.  WoW, LOTRO, RIFT, SWTOR, ESO, etc.  I am just saying that I think many more people enjoy themepark style MMOs than enter a world and create your own destiny type MMOs. 

Try near 500k. 

PS:  Rift had fewer subs, LOTRO, TOR are free to play, and you don't know how many subs ESO has. 

SWTOR and ESO are awful

• ReallymjReallymj Member UncommonPosts: 44
    For me it is all the little things that I am noticing. I only got a change to play beta for a few hours last night. In that time i climbed a tree, chopped down another tree, fed a horse and watched it grow, repelled up a rope to get in a castle, i rowed a boat, i used a canon on the beach to blow up another boat, I noticed a crafting and gathering system with much depth. I went in a house just to turn off the lights, I got drunk on the side of a road and fell down, I had a jetpack. Then the thing that really stood out was the combat system is crisp and fun. I have played many games where skills don't go off accurately at all and the controls just feel really crisp so far. This game has a lot of polish and during my time playing I encountered 0 bugs or lag issues.

~Im not what I am~

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

SWTOR and ESO are awful

Too bad millions of players obviously disagree with that sentiment. SWToR has become one of the most successful MMO's monetarily, and I don't expect ESO to do badly either with the sheer amount of copies sold and subs speculated at the moment.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

SWTOR and ESO are awful

Too bad millions of players obviously disagree with that sentiment. SWToR has become one of the most successful MMO's monetarily, and I don't expect ESO to do badly either with the sheer amount of copies sold and subs speculated at the moment.

Millions of people liked the movie Tammy.. Is it a good movie? Nope...

Originally posted by Aeonblades

SWTOR and ESO are awful

SWToR had to go freemium to do it and ESO is still unknown so you cannot claim millions in the latter case.

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    I'd say think ShadowBane.  This game will be similar to that where leveling is just something people will need in order to really stand a chance in PVP but once acquired you'd be spending weeks if not months in PVP battles defending your home towns, at least I'm hoping thats what its going to be like.

imageimage

• BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222

I have played all of that plethora of themepark mmorpgs, with the exception of ESO.

You know I saw continually being requested in those games forums? Sandbox features.

Say what you want about SWG but I am pretty sure none of those themeparks will elicit such love and devotion from their playerbase that members of those communities will happily devote years of their own time, effort and skill to recreate them once they are gone...unlike another project that I wont mention as this site seems to like banning people that do :D

Sandbox, or at least Sandpark features appear to be what gamers want more and more....and I for one welcome that...finally it seems as if the turgid circle of themepark benality is complete.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Depends on what you want to do. I have slowed down alot lately, basically logging in to make sure my stuff doesnt die. I stopped doing dailies and am basically waiting for release. Unless they havea special beta event or something then Imight download that and goof around.

I have purposefully not done any PvP (beyond defending self against ganks) and no real exploration outside the western continent I havent even gone east much. I have one a fair share of running around up north but right now thats pretty empty. Havent done a lot of fishing or underwater stuff either. So there is still a bit to do.

But this really looks like a game where you get stuck in a rut or maybe two of things that are streamlined and you personally find easy or semi enjoyable and you go with them. Just because a game has a ton to do doesnt mean it is all worthwhile, you will like it, or it will satisfy your own personal goals.

Its a free to play game that says it all. More or less freemium actually but the ease (as of now) that one can bang out in game gold keeping in game subs current will take little to no effort. I make 40-50 gold just logging in 30 minutes a day. If I wanted to run trade packs or spend some time playing it would be a few hundred a day. So right now gold is way too easy to make in the game. But its a test scenario so it will more than likely change. One would assume.

Is there "a lot" to do. Yes and no. Like I said there is plenty for you to experience but most of it is a 'waste' of time. At least to a lot of people or a do it once and it loses its charm sort of content game. Just like most others. This is going to be a typical Asian grinder game. Nothing more, nothing less, problem is they have a cash shop and that is contrary to that approach.  It will have its niche hardcore following like every other MMO out there has from Rift to Lotro to Fallen Earth. But I dont see it having a massive appeal for thousands upon thousand of players for along term commitment.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Original

SWTOR and ESO are awful

I like SWTOR :( lol. But I skip all the quests and only pvp and do class stuff.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by BetaBlocka

I'm trying to get a hamdle on what exactly Archeage has to offer and based on reading lots of threads around here it sounds very much like SWG in the sense that you earn XP for doing pretty much anything, there are different types of XP and once you hit level 50 (arriving there however you see fit) the "endgame" is then doing pretty much whatever you personally choose to do.....

I get that this is a little more restricted than SWG as in AA you pretty much have to do some roadmpa type questing whereas in SWG even though there were litterally hundreds of quests to do you could choose to ignore them all with almost no detriment to your progression....but to be honest, this sounds like the perfect balance between themepark and sandbox to me.....

Is that anywhere near accurate? If so....count me in.

It is nothing like SWG.. I was hyped about AA because I expected a sandbox but the games pushes you to do quests right from the start and I believe you do quests until about level 30.

I don't think you can join and from level one decide the only thing you are going to do is craft or build stuff.. It also has these annoying labor points.. To report a bot costs labor points... lol

OP if you don't have the perserverance to do a few quests now and then to achieve levels in a game with the promise of more things to do later then I think you are probably not the sandboxy type of person you seem to think you are.   In a sandbox you have to set goals.    One of those goals would be to find a way to level that bests suits your playstyle.     You seem to think like most professed sandboxers,  that you should be able to do everything right off the bat.     Ideally perhaps.

But many posters have already explained many of the sandbox elements and paths that you can take.  So far,  you seem to have ignored these posts and keep harping on "Quest hubs .... yada yada .... it has quest hubs!"

It sure does, but from what I see it has so much more, and since you are unable to see that,  I would say sandbox games are probably not what you are after.    If you really are what you say, then I agree with many posters that this is your best option right now, and just because it is not a perfect sandbox is no reason not to give it a shot.   If you want sandbox type games, it makes sense to support the people that are trying to make them.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Originally posted by Boneserino
    Originally posted by BetaBlocka

I'm trying to get a hamdle on what exactly Archeage has to offer and based on reading lots of threads around here it sounds very much like SWG in the sense that you earn XP for doing pretty much anything, there are different types of XP and once you hit level 50 (arriving there however you see fit) the "endgame" is then doing pretty much whatever you personally choose to do.....

I get that this is a little more restricted than SWG as in AA you pretty much have to do some roadmpa type questing whereas in SWG even though there were litterally hundreds of quests to do you could choose to ignore them all with almost no detriment to your progression....but to be honest, this sounds like the perfect balance between themepark and sandbox to me.....

Is that anywhere near accurate? If so....count me in.

It is nothing like SWG.. I was hyped about AA because I expected a sandbox but the games pushes you to do quests right from the start and I believe you do quests until about level 30.

I don't think you can join and from level one decide the only thing you are going to do is craft or build stuff.. It also has these annoying labor points.. To report a bot costs labor points... lol

OP if you don't have the perserverance to do a few quests now and then to achieve levels in a game with the promise of more things to do later then I think you are probably not the sandboxy type of person you seem to think you are.   In a sandbox you have to set goals.    One of those goals would be to find a way to level that bests suits your playstyle.     You seem to think like most professed sandboxers,  that you should be able to do everything right off the bat.     Ideally perhaps.

But many posters have already explained many of the sandbox elements and paths that you can take.  So far,  you seem to have ignored these posts and keep harping on "Quest hubs .... yada yada .... it has quest hubs!"

It sure does, but from what I see it has so much more, and since you are unable to see that,  I would say sandbox games are probably not what you are after.    If you really are what you say, then I agree with many posters that this is your best option right now, and just because it is not a perfect sandbox is no reason not to give it a shot.   If you want sandbox type games, it makes sense to support the people that are trying to make them.

The problem is the promise.. Time and time again MMOs make promises they don't keep.

lol you think I don't have the patience for sandbox games.. Never had that problem with SWG or Eve Online...

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I think it would be more accurate to describe it as a Sandbox with a single themepark ride running though it and the ability to jump off the ride anywhere.

If you don't bother to get off the ride somewhere along the way then yeah, it will take you just a week or two to make it to the end. But you can't blame the game for your own tunnel vision.  The sandbox is a sandbox after all. It is not going to hold your hand though that part of the game. It is up to you to choose to explore.

I have had no problem finding sand in this sandbox.

All die, so die well.