Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2's Downed mode: Is this a gameplay element you MMO gamers would like to see more of in future MMO

2»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by boxsnd
    I don't mind the downed system in PvE but it is absolutely terrible for PvP. Hopefully it will die with GW2.
    I have no experience with this in PvP, but in my time playing GW2, rarely did I ever get out of trouble with it. Throwing dirt and hitting the heal button when it pops just delayed the inevitable death for me. Never did any other player come to help and only a handful of times did I actually recover enough to fight again. I kept wishing, when I fell to the ground, that there was a "kill self" key :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Absolutely not.

It was good in theory, but in practice, it doesn't work that well.  In PVE, people go down because of stupid 1-shot mechanics and terrible A.I. encounters.  The lack of a casting bar for A.I., lack of a visual icon above their heads, and flashy effects obscuring the indicators, almost makes it impossible to react in a nano-second.  That's bad game design.  The player should never feel punished because of shoddy design encounters.  Another problem, is that, it makes players waste time reviving people.

It's also not that great in PvP either.  The zergs make it impossible to ever actually get up again.  It works better with organized groups though.

Overall, i'd rather just have a quick death, so i could revive and get back into the action faster.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by boxsnd
    I don't mind the downed system in PvE but it is absolutely terrible for PvP. Hopefully it will die with GW2.

I have no experience with this in PvP, but in my time playing GW2, rarely did I ever get out of trouble with it. Throwing dirt and hitting the heal button when it pops just delayed the inevitable death for me. Never did any other player come to help and only a handful of times did I actually recover enough to fight again. I kept wishing, when I fell to the ground, that there was a "kill self" key :)

GW2's downed state isn't really a solo mechanic. If you're playing with other people however it will very frequently save your bacon.

<3

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Maybe something like a purple bar would be more better.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol can you imagine how this would go in wow, they introduce the mechanic, people say it takes too long, bliz allow haste to affect the time it takes to revive, then it's minmaxed, and haste becomes more valuable, so haste is stacked to gcd the downed revive time, people start reviving all over the place...

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Picard is right Dungeons and Dragons online had it before. It is interesting but annoying so will say no.
    Chamber of Chains
    How is it annoying out of curiosity? For me, I see someone downed and enjo rezzing them and bringing them into the battle, but it offers the tactical decision to ignore as well.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I find it annoying because when I am down I wait to die. Nothing I do saves me unless it is in a large group of people and someone notices or the mob trying to kill me switches target and I manage to heal myself up but seriously it faster to just die. It is for me an annoying mechanic for this reason because much faster to just die than drag it out.
    Chamber of Chains
  • DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156
    downed mode abilities are superior than all of the normal abilities, at least for the ranger class.
    Ah, pays to play with guildies or people not tunnel visioned on spamming attacks and solo-in-a-group play. For me downed state is gameplay for non downed players.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

In PvE the mechanic is there for those times you make a slight mistake and get yourself into a pickle. While solo, there isn't a ton you can do about it, unless you have a target at extremely low health, so you wind up dying anyhow. If there are others with you, then you'll most likely get rezzed, but because of the downed state debuff, you can't keep going down, because you'll just flat out die around the 3rd time in rapid succession.

In PvP the tool is very interesting. Ignore the zerg fights, because Zerg v Zerg is always just going to be a cluster f of epic proportions. In small sided pvp, the downed state adds a fair amount of tactics. Down a player and you can choose to finish immediately (if you have the time), or you can leave them to slowly heal themselves (and use them as bait). As long as you keep interrupting their healing process, you can keep someone downed for quite a while, effectively taking them out of the fight for a longer period than just killing them and allowing them to come back right away.

Additionally, if you play a class that has better tools while downed, you can effectively keep people out of a fight by chasing you around trying to kill you. Good thieves are especially talented at this. Having people trying to stomp you while downed not only keeps them from paying attention to what's going on around them, but can cause them to get all ragey and make mistakes as you're frustrating them, especially when your friend comes and rezzes you. 

I personally like the mechanic. ANet really needs to balance out the downed state among all professions though, because it is terribly unbalanced how well some profs do in the downed state, while others are utterly useless.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Niburu

There are other games out there with this mode so it isnt GW2 exclusive.

Darkfall Unholy Wars for example, a Full Loot PvP MMORPG

Defiance, too. 

Neat feature but, as someone else pointed out, there are times I would like to be able to just Kill Self and move on. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre