Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOD $49.99? seriously?

Comments

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Just hold off until the sale, you know there will be a Christmas sale, who knows though by then you may realize you don't even want to bother with WoW. I'm pretty sure this will be the first WoW expansion I don't buy. I still think it's a great game, but it's ran it's course with me. I think unless you're playing right now because you still enjoy WoW, WoD won't do much for you, you're going to log in and within 5 minutes, you're going to say I've been here before"
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    But it comes with a level 90 character boost which is itself a whopping 60 dollar value. Just think about how much money you can save. It's an incredible deal.
  • MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by naami
    But it comes with a level 90 character boost which is itself a whopping 60 dollar value. Just think about how much money you can save. It's an incredible deal.

Not really, the extra 10 bucks is kind of paying for the boost, so it's not free sadly

• prayerlessprayerless Member UncommonPosts: 21
    wait a while and they will have a 75% off sale I got MOP for $9.99 got about 2 months of play from it as I don't raid tried it don't like it
  • vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    I think it is a testament to the true power of brands, marketing and hype. Think about it. Only blizz could pull this of and get away with it. Blizz is hot, they know it, and they are sure to milk it for every cent!
  • zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

They lost half of their playerbase (from 12 millions to 6), they had to compensate somewhere.

What is the easier way than milking the current, addicted customers? :)

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    But you get a free character boost to 90... that's a $60 value... so in essence, they're paying you $20 to buy their game.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by prayerless
    wait a while and they will have a 75% off sale I got MOP for $9.99 got about 2 months of play from it as I don't raid tried it don't like it

by a 'while' you mean, over a year right image

but hey, mists of pandaria is now only £15.00 and that came out in 2012, so if you wait 2 years you can probably buy WoD for about the same amount image

patience is a virtue my friend image

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by baphamet

i am sure this has been asked before but honestly.....$49.99 for an expansion? not a full game, but an expansion???

i know it's wow and blizz shits golden nuggests but that's just getting a little ridiculous IMO

Nothing wrong with that price, they put a lot of hours in a expansion and the price is fair accordingly.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by Phry

but hey, mists of pandaria is now only £15.00 and that came out in 2012, so if you wait 2 years you can probably buy WoD for about the same amount image

Blizzard is actually really smart. It was about 2-3 months after MoP release that they had one of their sales where it was $20 for MoP. They do this every time they do a huge ban wave. They monitor tons of people. Set up a sale and then ban them all. This way the botters will think they are getting a good deal to come back and they get some free cash.

Originally posted by SwampDragons

i am sure this has been asked before but honestly.....$49.99 for an expansion? not a full game, but an expansion???

i know it's wow and blizz shits golden nuggests but that's just getting a little ridiculous IMO

Nothing wrong with that price, they put a lot of hours in a expansion and the price is fair accordingly.

True enough, and the price is not so steep that the majority of players won't pay it either, thats the real thing, the people that are complaining about the price the most, seem to be the ones who aren't really interested in playing WoW anyway, fans of the game will probably be snapping the expansion up same as usual image

of course if it doesnt measure up to expectations... there'll be hell to pay image

Originally posted by TankYou88

Blizzard is actually really smart. It was about 2-3 months after MoP release that they had one of their sales where it was $20 for MoP. They do this every time they do a huge ban wave. They monitor tons of people. Set up a sale and then ban them all. This way the botters will think they are getting a good deal to come back and they get some free cash.

Aaaaand todays winner of the Tin Foil Hat is right here imageimage

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Looking at this list

http://wowpedia.org/World_of_Warcraft:_Warlords_of_Draenor

Personally i'll say its worth every cents.

And to a poster above, no, alot of players is willing to leave wow, as long as something good is out.

At least i for 1 is that.

But alas......

Many developers doesn't get it that they are up against WoW of 2014 and counting, and not 2004.

RIP Orc Choppa

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

Blizzard is the greediest company out there and thats why I can't bring myself to play there game anymore. 

The game is good no one can deny that cause they do have a huge playerbase but it's just not worth it.

Aaaaand todays winner of the Tin Foil Hat is right here imageimage

??? This is pretty easy to monitor. Whenever they have big ban waves they have sales as well. Botters still want to make their living so they pay it. 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Phry Originally posted by TankYou88 Originally posted by Phry Originally posted by prayerless wait a while and they will have a 75% off sale I got MOP for $9.99 got about 2 months of play from it as I don't raid tried it don't like it
    by a 'while' you mean, over a year right but hey, mists of pandaria is now only £15.00 and that came out in 2012, so if you wait 2 years you can probably buy WoD for about the same amount patience is a virtue my friend
    Aaaaand todays winner of the Tin Foil Hat is right here
    ??? This is pretty easy to monitor. Whenever they have big ban waves they have sales as well. Botters still want to make their living so they pay it. 

except that they hack accounts and bot with those.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i guess i can see the fact that you get a free level 90 boost as being worth the extra $10 to some but a lot of wow players already have their 90's leveled.

i just find it a little absurd that an expansion is almost as much as a full game, especially in a subscription based game.

i know they can get away with it, but i don't think it's right.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You have possibly a years worth of skilled labor working on that content and a business to run,a VERY big business that needs to make profits.

Now on the other hand how much were people paying going to Blizzcon?That offers nothing at all,it is nothing more than watching Blizzard advertise their products,something you can see on the internet for free.Then MANY buy airplane tickets,those alone cost more than an expansion.

How people smoke 4 packs of cigarettes or get the daily newspaper?I would think 50 bucks for an entertainment product that you can get MONTHS of entertainment from has some value at 50 bucks.

What do many people,couples do on weekends,go shopping for nothing,they just go and end up spending tons of money they  never planned on spending.Most entertainment ideals now a days costs TONS more money,try going to any sporting even tickets can cost 100-300 bucks for one person for 3 hours of entertainment.

I am not a fan of Blizzard  not by any stretch of the imagination but imo the price is warranted and holds it's value versus other entertainment.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by prayerless wait a while and they will have a 75% off sale I got MOP for $9.99 got about 2 months of play from it as I don't raid tried it don't like it
    by a 'while' you mean, over a year right but hey, mists of pandaria is now only £15.00 and that came out in 2012, so if you wait 2 years you can probably buy WoD for about the same amount patience is a virtue my friend
    Aaaaand todays winner of the Tin Foil Hat is right here

except that they hack accounts and bot with those.

The bigger businesses that sell gold do yes. There are tons of people who have 20+ accounts that pay for them on their own and do not steal accounts. Check out places like honorbuddy where people are upset over losing account, and how they are just going to go buy a few more account to cover the loss the losing those accounts. They make enough money that it supports them playing on their main account for fun and then paying for the other accounts and giving them some easy cash.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

Looked at that list, on the WoW wiki, of the 'features', I am surprised. I would consider MOST of those things to be maintenance, not features, and covered by the monthly sub.

• Player character graphics revamp
    • Item squish
    • Inventory updates
    • Ability boosts
    • Refined quest log
    • Restructuring raids
    • Changes to stats
    • Adventure Guide

None of those should be listed as expansion features. They should be considered ongoing support and maintenance. Things like this are just going to keep piling up for a game that is as old as World of Warcraft. Players have and will continue to pay a sub, these issues should be addressed by that ongoing price. Seems like you are actually paying more for less with this expansion, it's just worded in a way to make you think you are getting more. They should only be listed as expansion features if you won't have access to them without buying the expansion.
    Originally posted by Avarix

Looked at that list, on the WoW wiki, of the 'features', I am surprised. I would consider MOST of those things to be maintenance, not features, and covered by the monthly sub.

• Player character graphics revamp
    • Item squish
    • Inventory updates
    • Ability boosts
    • Refined quest log
    • Restructuring raids
    • Changes to stats
    • Adventure Guide

None of those should be listed as expansion features. They should be considered ongoing support and maintenance. Things like this are just going to keep piling up for a game that is as old as World of Warcraft. Players have and will continue to pay a sub, these issues should be addressed by that ongoing price. Seems like you are actually paying more for less with this expansion, it's just worded in a way to make you think you are getting more. They should only be listed as expansion features if you won't have access to them without buying the expansion.

None of that are features. Nowhere does it say increasing lvl cap, new raids, strongholds, new content, etc. Those are features. The stuff you listed you get no matter what if you buy the expansion or not.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

That is a decent price for a full fledged expansion.

A good expanple here, do you see how Swtor sells their DLC for cheaper? well, compare the sizes and the amount of content and you see you get what you pay for.

But look, Pandaria is $20 bucks already, expansion prices tend to decrease faster than the base games. I cant wait for WoD, but ill probably get a physical disc on sale(or trade in) at gamestop post launch.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

That is a decent price for a full fledged expansion.

A good expanple here, do you see how Swtor sells their DLC for cheaper? well, compare the sizes and the amount of content and you see you get what you pay for.

But look, Pandaria is $20 bucks already, expansion prices tend to decrease faster than the base games. I cant wait for WoD, but ill probably get a physical disc on sale(or trade in) at gamestop post launch.

SWTOR doesn't sell DLC to subs only to free players.  

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    The real question:

Is the xpac worth $50 plus the $15 or $30 whilst you play through it plus - for long subscribers -the sub cost between the last new content and the xpac. For 14 months that's $200. So $265 minimum.

As DMKano says market research will have been carried out. Given the drop in subs I sould expect one element of their analysis to be players returning for 30 days only. And they will want them to pay a higher price imo.

I wonder whether they thought of having a discount model to reward long term subscribers. Say 15 percent discount for every 3 months I the last year? (So max 60 pc making it $20 for people with a full year (purchase via Bliz only, no media).

Because as it stands I could see a lot of old subscribscribers leaving after a couple of content patches or so.
    Originally posted by gervaise1
    The real question: Is the xpac worth $50 plus the $15 or $30 whilst you play through it plus - for long subscribers -the sub cost between the last new content and the xpac. For 14 months that's $200. So $265 minimum. As DMKano says market research will have been carried out. Given the drop in subs I sould expect one element of their analysis to be players returning for 30 days only. And they will want them to pay a higher price imo. I wonder whether they thought of having a discount model to reward long term subscribers. Say 15 percent discount for every 3 months I the last year? (So max 60 pc making it $20 for people with a full year (purchase via Bliz only, no media). Because as it stands I could see a lot of old subscribscribers leaving after a couple of content patches or so.

They do have discount prices for longer subs...You can get 1 month for 14.99. 3 months for 13.99, or 6 months for 12.99. You can also find year subs online, I think those are given to employees or special events, not completely sure but you can buy those for kinda cheap as well.