Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question regarding travel

MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
Hey fellas, So I am backer of the game but have not even touched it since the very first build. I have been seeing videos pop up of travelling between areas and I was really alarmed. Now as I understand it this game isn't open world at all? When you travel between towns you instance out and go to like a top down Civilization style map and travel that way? This is kind of a deal breaker for me if so. What are your thoughts on this style of travelling?

Comments

• SamadhixxxSamadhixxx Member Posts: 12
    I have the same question.....
  • JonrobinJonrobin Member UncommonPosts: 18

For me personally this is the most difficult part of the game to understand. I think you have a choice of being drawn into these dungeons or using a magical portal or running down the road to get from place to place, but I wouldn't bet my Coors Extra on that!! However if anyone truly understands this, I'd love to learn about it.

jr

• EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64

As for now, there are two methods of instant travel. The world map is what we use to travel by land, it's called the "overland map" and we travel by foot to town to forest to ports etc.

In Owl's Head they have constructed a Lunar Rift using the light of the moon, and it will teleport you to different places around the main continent. These areas are usually brand new and do not have an overland map yet for foot travel, so these areas are still in development travel wise.

One last instant travel method which is only for pre-alpha testing is the /zone method. You can invite someone to a party and type /zone Name to instantly teleport to them. Again, this is only an option for pre-alpha and it will not be in the final launch. Also Lunar Rifts will undergo many changes from now until launch.

See you in-game,

Etheom

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Hey fellas, So I am backer of the game but have not even touched it since the very first build. I have been seeing videos pop up of travelling between areas and I was really alarmed. Now as I understand it this game isn't open world at all? When you travel between towns you instance out and go to like a top down Civilization style map and travel that way? This is kind of a deal breaker for me if so. What are your thoughts on this style of travelling?

The game isn't an open world. You travel on an overhead map to get from place to place. Everything is instanced, the towns, the places you hunt, the dungeons, etc. At first I didn't like it either, but I'm getting use to it, and it's growing on me. :) The random encounters that stop you, make it the most annoying thing right now. When we're able to opt out of them or they're made to be more than an annoyance, I'll be a bit happy :)

Right now we're able to /zone to one another, but they will take that away, it won't be in game at release, it's just so we can travel a little faster to one another in alpha. There's boats atm that will take us to various places to help get from place to place while the whole map is being worked on.

My only real concern at the moment is the small instanced areas you hunt in, called scenes. Perhaps they're just placeholder sized at the moment though, it's still alpha and so much to come still. :)

The Portalarium team continue to impress every single patch.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited May 2016

I agree about the random encounters 

Post edited by Rawyn on