Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous to Launch With Graphics Options Today’s PCs Can’t Handle

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-17-frontiers-drive-to-make-elite-dangerous-on-pc-future-proof

Frontier Developments is aiming to future proof open world space game Elite: Dangerous so it stays relevant for years after launch.

Frontier chief David Braben told Eurogamer that the developer is adding a raft of graphical effects to the game that some players won't have a powerful enough PC to enable. But there are plenty of graphical sliders and checks that should help the game run on a variety of specifications when Elite launches proper before the end of 2014.

"We're going through some wonderful effects internally that look truly beautiful, and we're saying, that slows the frame-rate a bit, doesn't it?" Braben told Eurogamer at the Develop conference last week.

"And we say yes, but we don't mind, because it looks so beautiful. But what we're going to do is attach it to this part of the detail slider. Or we'll call it out as a tick box."

The hope is that with the help of Moore's Law, which predicts that computing power will increase significantly every two years, and ever cheaper prices of graphics cards, Elite will continue to look impressive for years to come.

"Moore's law is our friend," Braben said.

"Even if your PC of today can't run with all the features on, your PC of tomorrow might."

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Wasn´t this what SOE also tried to do with several MMORPG from the past?
  • Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by Reklaw

with 16k res.. i don't think so.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

Didn't this kill APB?   Releasing with graphics many machines could not run?  

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Butch808
    Originally posted by Reklaw

with 16k res.. i don't think so.

ohhhh?

Really.....

Anyway it´s not about 16k it´s about graphic options we had back then where many couldn´t play it because of the high end system you needed back then....

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

He speaks of ever cheaper graphical cards but i dont know. Top of the line cards nowdays got for 1000+ dollars. The middle class is 500-600$. Everything below that WILL be outdated "next year", or at the release of the next game. It's a bit sad really.

You could say that's a result of ever shrinking PC market.

• Don't you mean growing?

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    This is great!
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

There's a screenshot at 4K, 8K and 16K in the latest newsletter - http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=c5e7202cb7

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

He speaks of ever cheaper graphical cards but i dont know. Top of the line cards nowdays got for 1000+ dollars. The middle class is 500-600$. Everything below that WILL be outdated "next year", or at the release of the next game. It's a bit sad really.

You could say that's a result of ever shrinking PC market.

Thats how its always been dude. In 1993 Dell was selling a top-of-the-line 486 with a 66MHz processor, eight megabytes of RAM and a 320-megabyte hard drive for $4,400. This was considered a "gaming PC" because it could run Doom.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Good on them!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

What this guy might not be fully taking into account is the player who will see the advanced options in setup, be pissed because he can't use them on his ten year old Walmart special, and then whine about it. But I say screw people like these anyway. They should probably stick to console gaming.