Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying Custom PC.. What You think?

2»

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I had to check the date on this post to make sure it wasn't a 4-year old necro bump.

Yeah, don't get that.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

DONT DO IT!!!

lol I think I am just reiterating what everyone else said. That computer is old, 4 generation old in fact.  If you want something that will last you three years, that one is not it.

Second, don't finance things you should purchase with cash. Typically you should never finance anything and pay cash. That's the main way you succeed in life financially. If you do finance, it should be something with more material value over time like a home. The computer has 0 material value right now. Its robbery that you even need to pay for it. Something like a house will have a slight decrease in value over 20 years adjusted for inflation. You should also never have something 100% financed. You should always put 30% down and have 10% of what's financed in savings.

If instead of financing that now for $100 a month and you saved it for 8 months, you would be able to purchase a superior system. There are a lot of ways to save enough money. When I was younger with my first job as a driver, I would typically buy lunch on the road for about $5. If I were to pack my lunch for an average cost of $1, I would save $4 a day and over a month save $80. I would just have to live with my poor cooking. Even with a bad job you are looking at about a $1200 income per month full time. Most of those jobs typically involve overtime increasing it to $1600. If you maintain good finances, even on that income its possible to save hundreds every month.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by hann18alx
    I'm re-thinking this as well. Looking else where. See what else I can dig up lol thank you for ur help guys.

Yeah, beats getting scammed by sites like that. Amazing that they're still around, and proud of it.

imageimage
  • anthony21690anthony21690 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by forcelima

We need to know what you will be using your pc for. If you are just going to be gamingyou do not need an i7 a i5 is just as good for gaming, and for gaming 12 gigs is overkill, 8 gigs of ram is good also PSU need to be reputable and 1000 watt is overkill

Sorry for all the typo I'm typing this from my phone

Gaming is actually going to start needing more than 8 gigs of RAM pretty soon, if you look at most games coming out this year a lot of them are starting to say they require 6 gigs of RAM or more, in fact I believe Watchdogs actually released with a system req. of 6 gigs of RAM. 

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Aori unless you get a pretty gimpy i5 or GPU at 1400 you will struggle immensely getting everything good and of good make. Trust me I ran the maths. A solid, gonna last 5 years Intel rig is around 1700 if you get all quality parts ( there's a gpu-less ivy i5 with 4 cores which is just under 70 USD more than the 7850k but you eat into your GPU budget drastically for not much improvement pre-OC).

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Aori unless you get a pretty gimpy i5 or GPU at 1400 you will struggle immensely getting everything good and of good make. Trust me I ran the maths. A solid, gonna last 5 years Intel rig is around 1700 if you get all quality parts ( there's a gpu-less ivy i5 with 4 cores which is just under 70 USD more than the 7850k but you eat into your GPU budget drastically for not much improvement pre-OC).

Not to be confrontational but you're not very good at math or at the least you're not pulling your numbers from the right places. You can build a solid intel machine for under 1k dollars that will be sufficient for 3-4 years. Might as well build a machine for 1k dollars now, then build another 3 years later for another 1k dollars that will be superior to the one you built for 1700.

Unless you're running crazy resolution/multi monitor setups and absolutely have to have everything maxed out, there is no reason to spend more than 1200-1500 on high end gaming rig. However a good rig that will last years for those who don't need the best of the world can get by for 800-1000 bucks. They'll be more than happy with it for years to come.

Agreed

You can build a great intel PC for less than $1200.  Unless you are going top of the line everything then $1700 is overkill. You can build a very good AMD build for less than $1000 easily.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Not where I live, the build I am working on is 1050 euros with AMD(includes transport, no OS) and a flat upgrade in terms of CPU throws about 100 more euros on top and I assume he will need an OS as well. Again all parts I know are good bang for your buck and from good brands. This though is including peripherals and extra luxuries ( secondary hard drive for video editing so I do not throw the principal one like I did with the laptop, R9 280 from sapphire in lieu of a serviceable 270x,etc ). Yes he can continually go for low end solutions and upgrade or tweak every 3-4 years or he can do like me (and one of my friends in 09 ) and spend a little more and not have to worry this side of 2020.

Oh and in about 3-4 years DDR4 will hit the mainstream so...either go big or chuck out most of the truly expensive bits in a Intel build and rebuild it. I know which way I am leaning.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by anthony21690
    Originally posted by forcelima

We need to know what you will be using your pc for. If you are just going to be gamingyou do not need an i7 a i5 is just as good for gaming, and for gaming 12 gigs is overkill, 8 gigs of ram is good also PSU need to be reputable and 1000 watt is overkill

Sorry for all the typo I'm typing this from my phone

Gaming is actually going to start needing more than 8 gigs of RAM pretty soon, if you look at most games coming out this year a lot of them are starting to say they require 6 gigs of RAM or more, in fact I believe Watchdogs actually released with a system req. of 6 gigs of RAM. 

The first game to require more than 4 GB of system memory just launched, and you're already saying that games are going to require more than 8 GB soon?  At the rate that system memory requirements are increasing, that might be a decade away.  If a game doesn't require a 64-bit OS, then 4 GB is enough for it, provided that you aren't running a bunch of other stuff eating up memory.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Not where I live, the build I am working on is 1050 euros with AMD(includes transport, no OS) and a flat upgrade in terms of CPU throws about 100 more euros on top and I assume he will need an OS as well. Again all parts I know are good bang for your buck and from good brands. This though is including peripherals and extra luxuries ( secondary hard drive for video editing so I do not throw the principal one like I did with the laptop, R9 280 from sapphire in lieu of a serviceable 270x,etc ). Yes he can continually go for low end solutions and upgrade or tweak every 3-4 years or he can do like me (and one of my friends in 09 ) and spend a little more and not have to worry this side of 2020.

Oh and in about 3-4 years DDR4 will hit the mainstream so...either go big or chuck out most of the truly expensive bits in a Intel build and rebuild it. I know which way I am leaning.

GPUs are going to make steady improvements for years to come, so it's not like you can get a video card now that will be competitive with a $200 gaming card five years from now.  Processors, on the other hand, aren't improving much anymore, so if you get a Core i5-4670K today, it will probably still be decent enough a decade from now.

DDR4 is coming very soon, and will probably the dominant memory standard in desktops and laptops within two years.  How long was it between the launch of the first DDR3 part and DDR3 becoming cheaper per GB than DDR2?  Six months?  DDR4 has already been very delayed, and memory manufacturers have probably been planning for quite some time for the new process nodes to heavily focus on DDR4 as opposed to DDR3.  That would explain why DDR3 prices haven't been falling.

Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by Dihoru Aori unless you get a pretty gimpy i5 or GPU at 1400 you will struggle immensely getting everything good and of good make. Trust me I ran the maths.
    Not to be confrontational but you're not very good at math or at the least you're not pulling your numbers from the right places.

Not to step in the middle of a good discussion here; but there are two factors to how much a machine will cost.

The most obvious is the hardware selection.

The second is the availability. The US tends to have pretty low prices, on average, and as you go globally there are a few places that equal or better the US, but most the price goes up, and in some places drastically.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    save about 500-600$ go AMD rig. with cooler..btw whoever said 1000psu was over-kill for a gaming rig. needs to beat their head on the corner of their desk

Originally posted by BurntCabbage
    btw whoever said 1000psu was over-kill for a gaming rig. needs to beat their head on the corner of their desk

Really.

I've never seen a PC with a single video card even come close to 1000W. Most PC's with 2 video cards won't even come close to 1000W.

• PenryPenry Member UncommonPosts: 6
    If your going for an AMD Video card get a 270x or above. if your going to be paying for it for 2 years I'd advise getting a $300 video card. Most games now are more GPU dependant than CPU.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I know people already made a good case for not buying it, but I noticed that it has tri-channel memory and 2x6G sticks. It's expensive RAM, by comparison, and not as common as it was in 2009 (or so).

No, it most likely has 6x2G sticks or 3x4G sticks.

Tri-channel means you have groups of 3.