Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Earns $1.041 Billion Revenue in 2013 (TOP 1 SUB MMO)

redskallzredskallz Member Posts: 10

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wow-was-the-top-subscription-mmo-in-2013-star-wars/1100-6421191/

To no one's surprise, World of Warcraft earned more revenue than any other subscription-based MMO in the world during 2013, according to a new report from SuperData Research. What may come as a surprise is the fact that Star Wars: The Old Republic came in at number four on the list.

The BioWare-developed Star Wars MMO brought in $165 million in worldwide revenue in 2013, SuperData reports. That's a far cry from the $1.041 billion in revenue earned by WoW during the same period, 

Comments

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

You only read the sentences that you like don't you?

None of those numbers a reliable, they are based on feedback from companies making the games.  The same companies that do not release numbers.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Cryptor

None of those numbers a reliable, they are based on feedback from companies making the games.  The same companies that do not release numbers.

Doesn't really matter about Wow earning most money though, Wows number of western players have been discussed but it is a pretty large number which TOR might have topped for the first month but Wow just keep on going and going while TOR lost it subs fast.

So even if the number isn't accurate they will still be number one.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by Cryptor

Um they are able to attain the data thru released profit statements due to them being publicly traded. The numbers are reliable. Question is what about the numbers for Companies that DON'T state there profits like Sony Online Entertainment. 

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    imo biggest surprise on that list is TERA.  I like the game but always thought it was rather niche in the U.S. and heard it tanked in Korea... must be doing well somewhere.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Old data.

However to put the estimate in context: SuperData use the information from  "36.9M users" - that is their current number anyway.

Woot - what a large number. Wonder who those folks are? 

Can you think of any apps that might "track" that many users .... maybe one that begins with R, possibly combined with one that begins with X?

Then all you do is take Raptr / XFire data; establish how many users play WoW (or whatever) each month; multiply by some factor to allow for the fact that not everyone uses Raptr/XFire; allow for churn - based on the Raptr/XFire accounts that no longer play the game; multiply by $15 and .....there you have it.

What degree of accuracy you place in the data - that is up to you to decide.

Alternatively you just look at what Activision say in their quarterly reports. Or EA say. If the SWTOR number was accurate, for example, then SWTOR was earning more than Battlefield, FIFA, Madden etc. EA forgot to mention this! Maybe ..... 

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    What I don't get is how WOW can make all that money yet they cannot have a team working on new non-expansion content for the current subscribers to give them something while they wait for the expansion. Instead the subs pay for the expansion to be developed and then have to pay for the box price on top of that. Talk about double dipping on your subscribers.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Zeddakis
    What I don't get is how WOW can make all that money yet they cannot have a team working on new non-expansion content for the current subscribers to give them something while they wait for the expansion. Instead the subs pay for the expansion to be developed and then have to pay for the box price on top of that. Talk about double dipping on your subscribers.

It was clear early on that they weren't really putting more money back into the game as it grew.  It was just a cash cow and the people keep subbing even during long gaps in new content releases.  I can't blame Blizzard I guess, but they lost my loyalty.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Zeddakis

My guess is that they're in process of making another MMO, spreading development and funding between two games. That's the only explanation I can think of.