Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR 4th biggest Sub MMO in the world

Comments

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by psiic
    Strange that those numbers do not match internal investor quarterly reports for at least three of the top four companies.

Sometimes you have to take what the " experts " say with a grain of salt.

That's because superdata is nothing more than a site that has permission to make educated guesses and turn them into news stories. That's what their partnerships with ncsoft, ea, etc allow.

I concur, I can't understand why companies who refuse to share their actual sub  numbers and financial data with the public would willingly turn over this information to SuperData and let them publish it on their behalf.

Unless of course SuperData was paying them to do so.  Still smells of scam to me.

They do not, numbers for those who actually do publish numbers are easily available to anyone (NCSoft, CCP), and rest dont share it even with shareholders, let alone with random internet crap like superdata.

Though some indie developer might sell info for some change. True dat.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

hope that overpaid analyst who predicted 60 million players got fired. What a jerk.

This game could have been amazing, in reality it is only "okay". Not bad, but not better than good either.

I'm subbed now looking forward to Strongholds but there is still lot that just disappoints.

The many loading screens, the lackluster spaceship cutscenes, no jump to lightspped type PvE space, tunneled static planets without day night cycle are still there. And no sense of badass Star Wars speed anywhere. It is just a rather slow experience overall. The best thing is the PvP, that is very enjoyable I play it every day but the PvE is sadly rather repetitive.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Malabooga

Be careful, last time i said this idiocy with superdata is BS and they dont have any more info than anyone else on the internet  (which they dont and their guess is as good as anyone elses) i got banned, but thats SWTOR forums moderation for ya.

It goes as far as being cited in articles on MMORPG.com which is beyond comprehnsion, those who do that should never be allowed to write anything public ever again.

Except they do have more information than anyone else on the internet.  In fact, they probably have more information than everyone else on the internet aside from the developers and publishers themselves.  Superdata is working directly with the developers and publishers.  Where do you think they get their information?  Raptr?  Xfire?  No.  It comes from the people producing the games.

That chart with revenues for different games is for 2013.  Kind of old.  Would be more interesting to see something for YTD 2014.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,471
    Haven't you got the memo yet ? SuperData can only be used to support numbers in ESO not SWTOR.

Originally posted by kitarad
    Haven't you got the memo yet ? SuperData can only be used to support numbers in ESO not SWTOR.

Its same as SWTOR, random internetz BS.

The only people to blame are those who make those threads and use this "data" for games that dont release (and even go to great lenghts to hide actual numbers even on conference calls to shareholders) to public.

Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by Malabooga

Be careful, last time i said this idiocy with superdata is BS and they dont have any more info than anyone else on the internet  (which they dont and their guess is as good as anyone elses) i got banned, but thats SWTOR forums moderation for ya.

It goes as far as being cited in articles on MMORPG.com which is beyond comprehnsion, those who do that should never be allowed to write anything public ever again.

Except they do have more information than anyone else on the internet.  In fact, they probably have more information than everyone else on the internet aside from the developers and publishers themselves.  Superdata is working directly with the developers and publishers.  Where do you think they get their information?  Raptr?  Xfire?  No.  It comes from the people producing the games.

That chart with revenues for different games is for 2013.  Kind of old.  Would be more interesting to see something for YTD 2014.

Im also working directly with "developers and publishers", some of my friends made some apps.

It makes ME king of the hill and prime authority on every number on anything.

Yes, for games that dont release numbers they have "third party sources" exactly like Raptr, XFire, conference calls and such. Read their actual page dude.

• bleakravenbleakraven Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I've repeatedly subbed out of frustration at all the limitations... I feel dirty now.
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    I don't particularly trust these figures, but why would anyone be surprised if SWTOR did prove to be the 4th biggest Sub MMO in the world?  
  • Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Based on information from Superdata SWTOR is 4th sub based MMO in the world

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

FFXIV: ARR has more than 2 million players and not even in first 10 games. Like Rift has less players than FFXIV: ARR but 10th on list and you really believe that list?

• phoenix_genma_kenphoenix_genma_ken Member Posts: 34
    Agent story class plz and i am back
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Mkilbride
    I'm having trouble believing this list. For one, I don't see FFXI or XIV on it, both of which have released sub numbers recently to be in the hundreds of thousands for XI and millions for XIV.  Tera is dying, if you go to their forums, or in game where the new areas are completely void of human players. Regardless of server.  Also, I don't like Rift, but it's fairly popular.  Find it hard to believe it can be behind Lineage 2.

FFXIV has not released subscriber data, they have only released accounts registered/created and concurrent peak logins. Pretty much all sites reported this, though there was 1 that called it subscriptioins, and every FFXIV fan here ran with that one site. Proof you ask for? Here you go.

Just to reiterate, registered accounts mean total amount of people who have played the game at one point or another since its release, it is not active subscribers.

Originally posted by Ekadd
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

FFXIV: ARR has more than 2 million players and not even in first 10 games. Like Rift has less players than FFXIV: ARR but 10th on list and you really believe that list?

FFXIV: ARR has 2 million registered accounts, not players. People on this site really should learn the difference between a "registered account" and a "subscriber/player"

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

Now know know the power of the cash shop.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

Originally posted by Tyggs

Now know know the power of the cash shop.

Not really. Read my last 2 posts. FFXIV does not have 2 million players/subs, it has 2 million "registered accounts/accounts created". 2 million people have tried the game at one point or another, who knows how many are actially still subbed. SE has never released that info. People crap on EA about SWTOR, but at least they were releasing active subscription data well over a year after SWTOR launched. SE hasn't done it once yet for FFXIV ARR.

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141

So if it said what you already believe then it's reasonable and accurate.

If it says something you don't want to be true it's just a made up number any random 5 year old could have come up with.

Sounds like a logical way to look at the world.

Originally posted by ryvendark

If it says something you don't want to be true it's just a made up number any random 5 year old could have come up with.

Hense why you should only consider officialy sourced numbers, wether good or bad for your game of choice. I see a LOT of double standards on this site in the last day. In an effort to not get banned for directly calling people out, I will just generally point out that there are posters on this and the ESO thread going who argued that SWTOR was not the 2nd most played MMO in the west, then arguing that the superdata was accurate for ESO subs, but is all of a sudden not accurate now that superdata also indicates that SWTOR is the 2nd in the west.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by doodphace

Hense why you should only consider officialy sourced numbers, wether good or bad for your game of choice. I see a LOT of double standards on this site in the last day. In an effort to not get banned for directly calling people out, I will just generally point out that there are posters on this and the ESO thread going who argued that SWTOR was not the 2nd most played MMO in the west, then arguing that the superdata was accurate for ESO subs, but is all of a sudden not accurate now that superdata also indicates that SWTOR is the 2nd in the west.

Moreover when EA released official subs some time ago  a lot of people here refused to believe it. And same people have no trouble lapping up superdata numbers. Atleast EA  released official numbers, Zenimax on the other hand never did.

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451

FFXIV: ARR has 2 million registered accounts, not players. People on this site really should learn the difference between a "registered account" and a "subscriber/player"

Some sites did report it as 2 million subscribers but they may have got it mixed up too .

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141

For your game of choice ? What do these numbers have to do with what game you like to play ? The McDonalds refrence really does apply to that kind of logic I'm sorry to say.

These numbers are as good or bad as any other number out there. Nothing they really say should mean anything to someone picking a game. That's the whole problem with them. Someone likes a game like ESO so they believe it has to be the biggest best game. Someone hates it so it has to be failing. They like SWTOR but hate ESO so the SWOTR numbers are right and the ESO ones are wrong.... that's just stupid.

The numbers are just something to talk about. Even if they're not 100% accurate, they're just a ball park figure to have a conversation over what's doing well.

Originally posted by greatskys

Some sites did report it as 2 million subscribers but they may have got it mixed up too .

There is only 1 site I can find who misinterprated SE's announcement as subscriptions (craveonline), and interestingly enough, thats the only site ppl on here quoted at the time. The actual announcement from SE, and reported on properly by just about every other major news site, was "registered accounts".

For your game of choice ? What do these numbers have to do with what game you like to play ? The McDonalds refrence really does apply to that kind of logic I'm sorry to say.

These numbers are as good or bad as any other number out there. Nothing they really say should mean anything to someone picking a game. That's the whole problem with them. Someone likes a game like ESO so they believe it has to be the biggest best game. Someone hates it so it has to be failing. They like SWTOR but hate ESO so the SWOTR numbers are right and the ESO ones are wrong.... that's just stupid.

The numbers are just something to talk about. Even if they're not 100% accurate, they're just a ball park figure to have a conversation over what's doing well.

When I mean is, if the numbers are good for their game, people will swear by the numbers. if the number are good for another game or bad for theirs, they will question the numbers.

My view is, "good or bad for your game of choice", nobody should read into unsourced numbers, let alone unofficial ones.

I have ZERO idea what you are tlaking about with your McDonalds reference by the way....

• Originally posted by doodphace

i know whats different between registered account and subscriber smart boy..

Well some websites says more than 2 million ppl plays the game, not only registered accounts so. i dont have SUPERDATARESEARCH  center like that to look for it.

• AzphelAzphel Member UncommonPosts: 27
    You can get a pretty good idea what game population is like for FFXIV  if you watch the server list in game for when servers rotate being locked to new character creations. I know mine Leviathan is locked more often then not. Always a ton of people every where I go in game. Honestly I'm willing to say my opinion being that FFXIV has a much bigger subscription count then SWTOR.

i know whats different between registered account and subscriber smart boy..

Well some websites says more than 2 million ppl plays the game, not only registered accounts so. i dont have SUPERDATARESEARCH  center like that to look for it.

When i run a google search for "Final Fantasy XIV 2 million subscribers", the first page alone has 6 sites properly reporting "registered accounts", and only 1 who incorrectly misinterprated it as "subscribers/players".

You don't have to get mad and hurl personal attacks simply because I am able to use google....

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by Azphel
    You can get a pretty good idea what game population is like for FFXIV  if you watch the server list in game for when servers rotate being locked to new character creations. I know mine Leviathan is locked more often then not. Always a ton of people every where I go in game. Honestly I'm willing to say my opinion being that FFXIV has a much bigger subscription count then SWTOR.

Same on Cactuar as well.