Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Is ESO Worth Buying?

Comments

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by Stammerer
    Originally posted by bcbully

Wow, mmorpg.com...

Although I am not a fan of the game these articles are certainly tonally rather odd.  In fact the content of the articles is reasonable but the headlines sound like the worst kind of attention-seeking histrionics you usually see in user-threads on this site.  

Next week: Is Zenimax financially viable as a firm? 

I have seen more of these types of articles. I think they do it to generate traffic for advertising.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Absolutely, this game is worth every cent. I'm a few months in now and I don't see myself stopping any time soon. It has the best graphics on the market arguably, some of the best story, NO quest hubs (finally!) and an engaging dungeon/crafting experience. The AvA is really fun and great for large scale and small group conflict.

This is one of the only MMO's released in the last 5 years that I feel does justice to the genre and moving it forward rather than backward like most other recent releases.

I will say if it goes F2P and brings in all the trolls and kiddies that come with F2P, I don't know if I would stay unless there was a huge bonus for subscribers and people who bought the game originally, or if there was a separate server for paying customers/ free chasers.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

If you enjoy a story then yes it is worth buying, but you will be done with it in a few months unless you are easily entertained at endgame.

Other things to consider though, if you do want a satisfactory endgame: Be CERTAIN to take SNAKE for the quest reward in the Brackenleaf Briars (Bosmer Insight).  This is near the middle of the AD side of the game.  This gives you a renewable buff that yields 5% bonus damage and 5% damage reduction.  If you take something else, you do not get both. 

This is a major problem with the game in my opinion.  There are places you can gimp yourself and they are not reversible and not obvious, and often come REALLY late in a character's career.  I blew the above on my main at V8.  And no I was not going to re-roll.

It is not an every class can do everything even if it touts itself as such.  See what people want in raids/dungeons first and coordinate that with your class/race choices. 

Of course if you are just going to go for the ambiance and story then these do not matter quite as much, BUT one may as well do it right...

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Think what OP mentioned is something not many notice while rushing to end-game?

"ESO is by far one of the most eye and ear pleasing MMOs to ever be sold. The graphics in the game are outstanding. The lighting (which is constantly being updated) is unbelievable for a video game. The audio cues in the game are just out of this world. So many little things that most MMOs don’t bother with. The sounds the different armour makes when you move, even bending over to pick up a reagent depending on your armour you’ll hear something different. I can’t tell you how many times I have jumped in my seat because of the thunder in this game. Is it so realistic that I have actually gotten up to check outside if it was storming?? 

When Dark Anchors drop also when near make me jump up aswell. And lol'd at checking rl outside as did I a few time hehe

It's the whole world immersion that sucks me into the game and for a themepark game it does it so incredible well. 

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    While I'm no fan of the game, the story is worth experiencing if you're an Elder Scrolls fan. The game isn't bad when you look at it on its own and its different from most MMOs in an acceptable way. For those saying to wait for the F2P - I say, this is why we can't have nice things. This game's best chance at quality is with the subscription. They're making changes and listening (albeit a bit a late) to what changes need to be made. I don't want to see yet another behind dazzling pay walls and bag sales. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

I would say that if one is an Elder Scrolls fan but is 'ok' with an mmo that doesn't really feel like some of the past elder scrolls games as far as "open world, head out and explore dungeons" game play then "yes" it's worth buying.

I'm subbed and intend to keep my sub for a bit.

Though the graphics are good I actually don't like the game world. At first glance it seems pretty but it's actually pretty bland. It feels like an endless carpet of pretty trees and rocks but no real character to the landscape. Going from Skyrim or Morrowind to ESO is pretty jarring.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

Personally paying the one off fee to play Asheron's Call will net you more fun than ESO ever will.

Go Retro guys!

“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but the author needs to learn the difference between "than" and "then." Good, basic grammar in an article goes a long way towards legitimacy.

The one thing I will still argue about ESO is that the leveling experience is predominately PvE, and the game trains you to be a good PvE player, but once the player hits 50, the game expects the player to be a veteran PvP gamer to enjoy the end game. Not exactly a good design path, imo. I'd still give ESO another 6 months before dropping any cash into it.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Stating that no game is bug free does not mean that the SEVERITY of the bugs don't make quite a bit of difference.  While complete testing is impossible and every piece of software in the world has bugs...having several, beta-discovered, "show stopper" bugs (like multiple duping bugs) is just really not acceptable for a pay in & sub game.

I really find answers like "well it depends on what you like" as just silly common sense opposed to an actual conclusion. I'd recommend folks to avoid this game unless you are a die-hard elder scroll interface / 'look & feel' person or if the crafting is up your alley.  Otherwise the immense amount of slowly resolved bugs, lack of collision, and multitude of overall design issues should have you moving along.  Personally I hope to see this game as F2P sometime in the future, as I did find the aimless solo grind fun - but for most folks it won't be (at least most folks I know).

I guess the solace I have in the meantime is the statue I got is cool looking...more than the game is for me at this point.

• StammererStammerer Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Yauchy

Stating that no game is bug free does not mean that the SEVERITY of the bugs don't make quite a bit of difference.  While complete testing is impossible and every piece of software in the world has bugs...having several, beta-discovered, "show stopper" bugs (like multiple duping bugs) is just really not acceptable for a pay in & sub game.

I really find answers like "well it depends on what you like" as just silly common sense opposed to an actual conclusion. I'd recommend folks to avoid this game unless you are a die-hard elder scroll interface / 'look & feel' person or if the crafting is up your alley.  Otherwise the immense amount of slowly resolved bugs, lack of collision, and multitude of overall design issues should have you moving along.  Personally I hope to see this game as F2P sometime in the future, as I did find the aimless solo grind fun - but for most folks it won't be (at least most folks I know).

I guess the solace I have in the meantime is the statue I got is cool looking...more than the game is for me at this point.

I would say that if you are a hardcore elder scroll fan then avoid this game.  I know you qualified your statement that it only has the interface and the look and feel, but these are surface features- and all of the fundamentals of any other elder scrolls game are absent.   

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Enjoyed the article.... and .... YES it is worth buying and subscribing to play. I have enjoyed most of my time in the game and look forward to the constant updating Zenimax has been doing to improve the game. Can't wait for Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild quest lines!!

One thing that I enjoy greatly is the fact when I complete a quest line in a zone I don't go back to the same bosses and enemies waiting to recycle combat with me! The world does change with each victory one! 

• syeekcosyeekco Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Hater will Hate.  Funny how a game that requires skill to play and complete content weeds out off the WoW heads.  Goodbye Haters ESO does better without you...
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

While I feel MMORPG.com's articles have been... rough of late... The fact of the matter is, the writer is having fun with the game.  So of course he is recommending it, because he is still playing it and looks forward to the new changes.

I played the beta, launch, and two months after the free month... but I have not played in a while, since my guild is still on SWTOR.  But I do pop back in and put some time into ESO.  It is a great game, however, I don't want to do the same content as I might be playing on my lowbies... It's draining.

The PvP is strong.  I just wish there was more.... reward to get out of PvPing and holding keeps, etc.  But the game has a very very strong base, and it plays differently than other games like using block and interrupt.

I think it funny that people like Wildstar, but no one is complaining about being forced to use 6 abilities, while ESO did it a few months earlier and people were moaning and complaining that they could only use 6 abilities.

I think the game is on its way, but will be a late bloomer... hopefully they can advertise when they are ready to bolster their ranks.

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Fluff piece undeserving of front-page headlining. The lack of comprehension or explanation in mentioning WoW's raiding boss HP just spreads ignorance and sets the tone for the entire 'article', which reads more like a wordy fanboy's forum review.
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 354

My problem is not the money. A far more valuable good is my spare time.

I'd say: ESO might be worth the money, but it's unfortunately not good enough to be worth my spare time.

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I have played since release and love the game. In 4 months I have all the classes and professions close to half way. Graphics are great. I have never witnessed invisible mobs and also don't know of any bugs other than a mining node not being able to pick up which is rare. I haven't seen any bots for over a month. I can tell the game is growing by how many people are in the banks. All you haters can stay away from this game which is fine by me so I won't have to hear your crying while im in game.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Honestly this game needs to go the way of others, buy it and then get rid of the sub.  This is the only way I can see any ability to sustain it for the long haul.  Right now in its current financial model this game is not worth purchasing.
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    No - games is pretty busted - there are better browser games and f2p games. Basically ESO is just trying to make money off of the elder scrolls name. I would feel better about lighting hundred dollar bills on fire than buying eso.
  • akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123

In its current state, and the fact that the European servers aren't in Europe, it is unplayable for the most part(Except PVE obviously). PVP is broken, and unbalanced too nevermind the screen freezes they do not tell you about. Note, I unsubbed a month ago, maybe it is better now, but I very much doubt that.

{EDIT} 

I will try it out again, my bad, apparently a fix was deployed. If it does not work, I'll be pretty upset. 

• ArcheAge2014ArcheAge2014 Member UncommonPosts: 135

you said no mmorpg ever come out polished? World of warcraft is polished upon release only server stability issues prevent players from loging in to play.

And archeage is polished.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by ArcheAge2014

you said no mmorpg ever come out polished? World of warcraft is polished upon release only server stability issues prevent players from loging in to play.

And archeage is polished.

define polish...

I agree that Archage is polished. I dont agree that its a great game, its a good game, it has features the AAA community has never experienced before which is nice but ....sorry..i went off topic

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I won't comment to hard to this game since I only played it for a short while, I felt that the combat didn't appeal that much to me (only personal thoughts) As a single player game going through the quests I thought it was amazing and the graphics are some of the best but my overall score would be an average + score and there aren't to many companys that can make a subscription worth it. I didn't think this game was worth a sub however a B2P with a cosmetic only cashshop could make me install again.
  • jeffmjeffm Member Posts: 13

If you actually read his comments, he does a pretty good job of saying what ESO is and isn't.

He also did a fair job of talking about the bugs and what's being done.

So, yes. you can use those comments to gauge whether you should pay for it.

I play in off hours, not prime time and the game world is never empty for me.  So, I've no clue where those people who say the game is empty are coming from.

Also, I got so tired of traditional skills and skill button mashing that ESO combat and movement were a relief.  Yes, it's a bit different and you'll have to adjust, so if you're locked into the traditional UI stuff and can't change, well, that's on you.

The character creation system is awesome, imo.  I've been able to create my characters with the look I want, not have how they look forced on me.

And, finally, you really CAN make pretty much any class for any character.  For instance, I have a Sorcerer that is actually a Summoning Battlemage wearing heavy armor and a 2h sword.  She can solo most PVE content 3 levels above her.  So, if the huge number of options and choices in creating a character that you want to play is too hard for you and you need "canned" traditional classes, then ESO isn't for you.

So, I like the game and will play it for quite a while longer.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Stammerer

I would say that if you are a hardcore elder scroll fan then avoid this game.  I know you qualified your statement that it only has the interface and the look and feel, but these are surface features- and all of the fundamentals of any other elder scrolls game are absent.   

Well, I could be considered a "hardcore" elder scrolls fan and I disagree.

The issue is not whether you "really, really, really, really, really" love elder scrolls. The issue is what you expect for game play.

And "yes" I am one of the first people who would have preferred skyrim or morrowind online.

If one can enjoy a game set in the elder scrolls universe and not expect the game play of previously released elder scrolls games then this can be an enjoyable game.

Being a "hardcore" elder scrolls fan does not mean becoming entrenched in a certain idea and not giving one inch. Remember, the elder scrolls games have changed over the years. And though Skyrim is vastly superior in some respects it actually sucks in others when compared to earlier games.

So adopting the "this is an elder scrolls game" mentality doesn't work as they are different from game to game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Telondariel

It kills me to hear the same people bleating on and on about how X game isn't worth it..unless it goes FTP.  Apparently at that point, there is a magical transition that turns the game, the company, and it's players from being flame-worthy into an experience they want to partake of and support.  /eyeroll   There is plenty of pub-par, Cash Shop-centric, wallet-digging FTP trash out there.  Please go find one and stop squabbling that one more thing in life isn't being given to you for free.

As to the OP, I find myself in the position of observing and waiting.  I'd like to see the Imperial City opened up, as I was always a huge fan of Darkness Falls.  I am also allowing the game to mature for a bit more.  It's new, and there are still some growing pains that need to be worked out.  I see myself playing ESO, just not right now.

I agree on this..The ongoing trash talk to make games go FTP is simply amazing, I had a lengthy post about this a while ago ,where I asked this particular question,  some claim the game is just not good enough to value a subscription but just good enough to make them wan't to play it if it's FTP..

Obviously some players are willing to play things that are "halfgood" aslong as it's free, lol

But everyone that actually ARE playing ESO knows that Zenimax REALLY has but some effort into this game, it's simply amazing how much value you will get for your money from the getgo, and now when Craglorn is released it's even better :)

Ohh Well...