Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new season is simply stunning!

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Why the hell can't I like this game? After I got ranger to 80 I just couldn't stand the game anymore. Granted ranger is pretty fun to explore and do things on for a while but even that gets old for me. Just wish I could enjoy this game more than logging in every once in a while only to play for 30mins and stop for weeks/months again.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Yup delta, it only costs 200 gems to buy a chapter of season 2, I just bought mine for a few gold....

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    Why the hell can't I like this game? After I got ranger to 80 I just couldn't stand the game anymore. Granted ranger is pretty fun to explore and do things on for a while but even that gets old for me. Just wish I could enjoy this game more than logging in every once in a while only to play for 30mins and stop for weeks/months again.

Its because you chose to play ranger. As a vigorous Gw2 fan I hands down admit that the ranger is the most "broken?" of all classes. I tried leveling ranger, multiple times, it just ain't happening. Although im hearing there are some nice boosts coming to bow rangers in october. 

I'd recommend you try another class. Warrior and guardian both play great, thief is a mean machine it requires some more focus but it plays great too. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

Its because you chose to play ranger. As a vigorous Gw2 fan I hands down admit that the ranger is the most "broken?" of all classes. I tried leveling ranger, multiple times, it just ain't happening. Although im hearing there are some nice boosts coming to bow rangers in october. 

I'd recommend you try another class. Warrior and guardian both play great, thief is a mean machine it requires some more focus but it plays great too. 

Thief is next to elementalist and engineer the most demanding class....  But they reward you with diversity and some really fun oh yeah moments..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by delta9

didnt realise had to login within a 2 week window for each episode and i am not going to spend real money to unlock episodes so i will pass on season 2 which could of brought me back to gw2 for a while has just ensured i dont bother

People that play the game get content free of charge.

People that don't play the game on the basis they actually have to play - who cares about them?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Blood-kainBlood-kain Member Posts: 11

Can someone help me here? my passion is GW2 i stopped playing few months ago, and when i came back to check the new living story season it felt like am playing a new personal story and not a public epic event like the Dragon attack they revamped or the scarlet invasion, so how does it work? is instanced ? is it partly instanced? i didn't complete it as i was just checking it out.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Blood-kain

Can someone help me here? my passion is GW2 i stopped playing few months ago, and when i came back to check the new living story season it felt like am playing a new personal story and not a public epic event like the Dragon attack they revamped or the scarlet invasion, so how does it work? is instanced ? is it partly instanced? i didn't complete it as i was just checking it out.

Season 2 is more structured like personal story which means more instanced solo story, but not entirely. It is a mix of open world content and personal story. Which is great IMO. Instanced story quests provide more detailed and personalized storytelling compared to open world where there's too many people.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

Season 2 is more structured like personal story which means more instanced solo story, but not entirely. It is a mix of open world content and personal story. Which is great IMO. Instanced story quests provide more detailed and personalized storytelling compared to open world where there's too many people.

The open world part is in new zones....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

It has both instances and open world events.

The meat of the story is in instances that unlike the living story allow non leader party members to have much more interaction with instance related objects and it will even show the cinematic with your character as the main character regardless if you were the leader of the instance or not.

Then you have events, both in the new map - Dry Top - and in other areas like kessex hills, timberline falls and irons marches.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

Thief is next to elementalist and engineer the most demanding class....  But they reward you with diversity and some really fun oh yeah moments..

Oh yeah, I love my elementalist. :D

It's what I'm currently playing, with a bit of Warrior on the side when I feel like a change of pace.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Really liked the new quests. I just got caught up with all 3 episodes a few days ago. I like how it is much more fast paced than season 1 was story-wise (although it makes sense). I can't wait till the next episode!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I've given up hoping that Arenanet has hit rock bottom and some miraculous recovery is in the works. Just when I think I've seen it all as far an bone headed design decisions, I bump into a new Pay-Wall for returning players.

It's just sickening, illogical and short sighted. For Buy to Play to work, there has to be a lack of barriers for returning players. The pool of loyal customers is continuing to dwindle, which for a Buy to Play game takes a lot of effort on the part of the developers. The advantage of the model is that you have a huge base of customers who have already bought the game with no subscription model to make them "former players".

Everyone who owns the game, but has taken a break, is another player just an update away from being won back as a player and potential cash shop customer. You want to do everything you can to make returning as enticing as possible and build enough good will so that returning players want to stay and want to shell out some bucks for a few spiffy items that appeared  in game  while they were gone.

You do NOT want to slap returning players in the face with a Pay-wall for episodes of otherwise "free" content they missed while they were away. Not to mention how badly this kills new sales and new player recruitment by active players.

"Gee Bill, you really should join me in this awesome game. It's Buy to Play, pay once and play all non-expansion content ever released for free. Well, unless you missed some of the free stuff when it was free, or failed to log in while it was free, then you'll have to pay to play that free content..."

Yeah, good luck recruiting new players with that spiel, or trying to tempt old friends/guildmates into giving the game another chance.

I'm convinced they spend a lot of time brainstorming new ways to hasten the game's death.

I guess being under-payed and  led on by talk of profit sharing that never materializes could do that to a bunch of developers...

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

didnt realise had to login within a 2 week window for each episode and i am not going to spend real money to unlock episodes so i will pass on season 2 which could of brought me back to gw2 for a while has just ensured i dont bother

People that don't play the game on the basis they actually have to play - who cares about them?

That's the all too common sentiment seen among die hard fans of dying MMOs. Games need new and returning blood to stave off death and regain some of their past glory. The die-hards will compete with each other to see who can hold onto the sinking ship the longest, but their disdain for those with less fortitude or less history with the game is poison for the game they profess to love.

It used to be that the die-hards recognized this and would go out of their way to make new and returning players feel welcome and help them to overcome the barriers to a successful entry. Not just for the joy of helping others, but because it was the most impactful thing they could do to help the game they love.

What the hell happened to MMOs and the people that play them, that those who "love" a game look at new or returning players with disdain, as if their presence taints their own personal play ground?

I'm hoping that "who cares about them?" was meant with sarcasm, but it's hard to tell these days...

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

That's the all too common sentiment seen among die hard fans of dying MMOs. Games need new and returning blood to stave off death and regain some of their past glory. The die-hards will compete with each other to see who can hold onto the sinking ship the longest, but their disdain for those with less fortitude or less history with the game is poison for the game they profess to love.

It used to be that the die-hards recognized this and would go out of their way to make new and returning players feel welcome and help them to overcome the barriers to a successful entry. Not just for the joy of helping others, but because it was the most impactful thing they could do to help the game they love.

What the hell happened to MMOs and the people that play them, that those who "love" a game look at new or returning players with disdain, as if their presence taints their own personal play ground?

I'm hoping that "who cares about them?" was meant with sarcasm, but it's hard to tell these days...

You can get the content free if you log on when the content is released, otherwise you CAN STILL GET IT FOR FREE by buying the content with in game currency.  I returned to the game, i bought the content with in game currency i earned over a year ago. 

Guild wars 2 is pretty much the only mmorg in existence where old players can rejoin after a long period and be good to go gear wise, equally like no other AAA Mmorg, new players can also get up to speed gear wise once they hit max level with no pressure to rush or be forever behind.  These are the true barriers for entry for new players and only GW2 has tackled this problem , so attacking GW2 for these issues is madness.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Originally posted by Bladestrom

You can get the content free if you log on when the content is released, otherwise you CAN STILL GET IT FOR FREE by buying the content with in game currency.  I returned to the game, i bought the content with in game currency i earned over a year ago. 

Guild wars 2 is pretty much the only mmorg in existence where old players can rejoin after a long period and be good to go gear wise, equally like no other AAA Mmorg, new players can also get up to speed gear wise once they hit max level with no pressure to rush or be forever behind.  These are the true barriers for entry for new players and only GW2 has tackled this problem , so attacking GW2 for these issues is madness.

Back when 100 gems went for well under 1 gold, this argument might have been valid. At current exchange rates, unlocking one Living Story chapter will cost you 25 gold. My entire accumulated wealth from over 1000 hours of year one play is 69 Gold. Sorry, but I don't see that as "free".

They promised no content behind pay walls. They promised that once you bought the game, you could leave and come back at any time and have access to all the non-expansion content added to the game while you were gone.

Living Story, Season One broke the second promise, because it was 95%+ temporary content. They fixed that in season two, which would have been enough to earn ANet another chance and well deserved kudos, but they just had to find a way to screw that up, didn't they?

When I was an active player, I spent well over $15/month supporting the game via the cash shop. I have no problem spending money on a game that deserves it. The cash cost of these unlocks isn't even the issue, it's the pervasive need for ANet to find some way to always rain on their own parade, their dishonesty and broken promises that are the issue.

I looked through the cash shop last night. I found $100 worth of stuff I would be willing to buy.  If I were back in the fold, playing and enjoying the game, with no reservations over ANet's honesty and ethics. For one account. (I have two). I also realized there were likely a number of limited time only items over the past year I probably would have purchased and there will likely be a lot more ahead. Hundreds of dollars of potential real revenue ANet has flushed down the drain because they decided to break a core promise to sell "free" content for a few bucks.

BTW, the gold/gem exchange rate. WTH? A full time economist and they end up with inflation exponentially worse than the MMO industry average. Just another example of how far they've strayed from the game's once limitless potential.

• Originally posted by fiontar

Originally posted by delta9 didnt realise had to login within a 2 week window for each episode and i am not going to spend real money to unlock episodes so i will pass on season 2 which could of brought me back to gw2 for a while has just ensured i dont bother
    People that play the game get content free of charge. People that don't play the game on the basis they actually have to play - who cares about them?
    That's the all too common sentiment seen among die hard fans of dying MMOs. Games need new and returning blood to stave off death and regain some of their past glory. The die-hards will compete with each other to see who can hold onto the sinking ship the longest, but their disdain for those with less fortitude or less history with the game is poison for the game they profess to love. It used to be that the die-hards recognized this and would go out of their way to make new and returning players feel welcome and help them to overcome the barriers to a successful entry. Not just for the joy of helping others, but because it was the most impactful thing they could do to help the game they love. What the hell happened to MMOs and the people that play them, that those who "love" a game look at new or returning players with disdain, as if their presence taints their own personal play ground? I'm hoping that "who cares about them?" was meant with sarcasm, but it's hard to tell these days...
     You can get the content free if you log on when the content is released, otherwise you CAN STILL GET IT FOR FREE by buying the content with in game currency.  I returned to the game, i bought the content with in game currency i earned over a year ago.  Guild wars 2 is pretty much the only mmorg in existence where old players can rejoin after a long period and be good to go gear wise, equally like no other AAA Mmorg, new players can also get up to speed gear wise once they hit max level with no pressure to rush or be forever behind.  These are the true barriers for entry for new players and only GW2 has tackled this problem , so attacking GW2 for these issues is madness.
    Back when 100 gems went for well under 1 gold, this argument might have been valid. At current exchange rates, unlocking one Living Story chapter will cost you 25 gold. My entire accumulated wealth from over 1000 hours of year one play is 69 Gold. Sorry, but I don't see that as "free". They promised no content behind pay walls. They promised that once you bought the game, you could leave and come back at any time and have access to all the non-expansion content added to the game while you were gone. Living Story, Season One broke the second promise, because it was 95%+ temporary content. They fixed that in season two, which would have been enough to earn ANet another chance and well deserved kudos, but they just had to find a way to screw that up, didn't they? When I was an active player, I spent well over $15/month supporting the game via the cash shop. I have no problem spending money on a game that deserves it. The cash cost of these unlocks isn't even the issue, it's the pervasive need for ANet to find some way to always rain on their own parade, their dishonesty and broken promises that are the issue. I looked through the cash shop last night. I found $100 worth of stuff I would be willing to buy.  If I were back in the fold, playing and enjoying the game, with no reservations over ANet's honesty and ethics. For one account. (I have two). I also realized there were likely a number of limited time only items over the past year I probably would have purchased and there will likely be a lot more ahead. Hundreds of dollars of potential real revenue ANet has flushed down the drain because they decided to break a core promise to sell "free" content for a few bucks. BTW, the gold/gem exchange rate. WTH? A full time economist and they end up with inflation exponentially worse than the MMO industry average. Just another example of how far they've strayed from the game's once limitless potential.    

Sorry but I don't even need to read the rest of your post. That's your problem. You can't blame ANet for your own incompetence. A normal player easily gain 50 gold within an hour gameplay. And let's say what you said is true, if you can't even login just 1 sec every 2 weeks, why are you playing this game?

It's pathetic, the game has no sub. If you are willing to pay a sub, pay to buy gems for the equivelant £ instead if you want. If you don't, then either login for 1 minute every 2 weeks (you want to play the game apparently so this shouldn't be an 'issue'

I want I want I want - actually these people don't know what they want, but complain about everything.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

My entire accumulated wealth from over 1000 hours of year one play is 69 Gold. Sorry, but I don't see that as "free".

Ok I dunno about Wyrd's 50 gold an hour but what you say here is a bit nuts too.

When you go to Orr for 5 mins to slay some zombies you will most likely get a random tier6 material which sells for 50-60 silver depending on what it is.

Harbinger of Fools
  • JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Dakeru

My entire accumulated wealth from over 1000 hours of year one play is 69 Gold. Sorry, but I don't see that as "free".

Ok I dunno about Wyrd's 50 gold an hour but what you say here is a bit nuts too.

When you go to Orr for 5 mins to slay some zombies you will most likely get a random tier6 material which sells for 50-60 silver depending on what it is.

Yeah i have no clue what that person is talking about, as I have less than 100 hours in the game and have over 100 gold.

Originally posted by JemAs666
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Yeah i have no clue what that person is talking about, as I have less than 100 hours in the game and have over 100 gold.

I didn't say that I only earned 69 gold in over 1,000 hours of play. I bought things along the way, as I equipped eight level 80 characters on the account. I never reached a point where I was swimming in cash, there was always something else to spend the gold on.

At the end of my heavy play activity a year ago, my coffers stood at 69 gold. I think the most I ever had liquid at any given time was maybe 120.

I hope you can't farm any where near 50 gold in an hour, or the game has more serious issues than I have imagined. I rarely played to farm, but I know I never earned more than 2.5 Gold an hour farming the game, and that was before a number of gold farms were nerfed by ANet at the time for being too lucrative.

It really doesn't matter if it takes a new or returning player five hours or fifty to earn enough to unlock a chapter. If someone is returning to the game, or checking it out for the first time, because they heard positive things about Season Two, having them encounter any kind of pay-wall is just plain idiotic.

Even though I've been on this site for roughly a decade, probably 90% of my entire post history was positive discussion about GW2 from 2010 to early/mid 2013. Even when I was at my most dedicated to the game, I would have realized how idiotic this was and how detrimental it would be towards efforts to attract new or returning players. I certainly wouldn't have hesitated to say so loudly and clearly, no matter how glowing my feelings toward ANet were at the time otherwise.

People who love the game should not turn a blind eye to business/development decisions that are detrimental to the game. The "yes (wo)man" mentality does no one any good, unless cloaking oneself in a state of self delusion is necessary in order to keep logging into the game every day.

If you are returning to the game and you are able to be 'swimming In Gold' then you simply play a few hours then go unlock your story - what's the issue? If your new to the game your at level 1 so there's a ton of content ahead of you, and you will pick up new chapters of living story as you play.

Ps a pay wall refers to real life money - it is not a pay wall if you can buy with in game currency.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I agree.

Its actually on par with some singleplayer rpg stories. And the new zones are amazing.

Still, without actual character progression (new skills, levels) it all feels pointless to me.

All mmo's are pointless at the end of the day;)

A lot of players out there like the none carrot gameplay

You mean non-rpg gameplay

Horizontal character progression is rpg...  But not a real carrot, as its not a requirement to do anything, or something to make people much more stronger...  I got a feeling mots have no clue whatever is meant with horizontal character progression..

RPG means RolePlaying Game, not DCtCG (Donkey Chase the Carrot Game).

I played tabletop RPGs where characters didn't even have levels and stats.

It's well known that developers are people who work for free and should deliver quality content to us without earning any money in return.

I actually think this should be expanded to all jobs. Whatever you do, you should give it to others for free.

It's a Buy to Play game. Living Story was promised as free and frequent content. The money they earn charging for unlocks of LS chapters for those who missed them will never, ever pay for the content they contain. A B2P game thrives on maintaining a high level of goodwill with customers, which in turn results in some of those players buying items in the cash shop. I spent more in goodwill cash shop purchases in my year of play than I would have spent on a subscription.

Adding a cash wall for this content discourages new and returning players and also negates goodwill. Fewer players and less goodwill means an exponentially greater loss in revenue than will ever be made up for by people willing to pay for "free" content they happened to miss.

It makes no business sense and just serves to minimize the revenue produced as a result of LS content the studio spent resources creating.

I get that some might relish that they got something for free that others have to pay for, after all logging makes them entitled to such "perks", right? Well, that's just very short sighted thinking for a fan who wants the game to be successful.

Ps a pay wall refers to real life money - it is not a pay wall if you can buy with in game currency.

That's completely flawed logic that insinuates that the game would not be Pay2Win in they started selling power directly on the cash shop. After all, even if a set of Super Epic Legendary End Game Gear, available only on the cash shop, appeared for 8,000 gems a set, you could always just buy those gems with in game gold. Right? Double Damage PvP buffs would be fine to, because you could always just grind for the gold to convert to gems in order to buy those as well, right?

Even then, the time/money equation only holds up as long as the ratio is a reasonable one. If current conversion rates are an accurate reflection of the level of inflation in the game world, the game will never attract new players who will stick around long enough to be paying customers. That what was considered a tidy sum to me a year ago is looked upon by the herp derps today as a pittance also suggests that there is little fertile ground for returning players either.

If some people prefer a smaller pond, because it makes them feel like a bigger fish, that's fine. Selfish, but fine. However, at least be honest about it, rather than pretending it's somehow good for the game and it's bottom line.

Orr just um you know play the game you enjoy and buy what you like as you go.