Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the draw for this game?

TolmosTolmos Member UncommonPosts: 141

This game has been sitting on the top since it came out, and I've found myself, on more than one occasion, wondering why.

This isn't a post bashing the game, but an honest question from someone who hasn't put any real time into it. I attempted to play it a while back, got about an hour in and wasn't feeling it. I simply didn't give it enough time to really show me much of anything, I suppose, and wrote it off.

But as it sits here, #2 on the list still, I can't help but wonder what it is that I'm missing. What is different here than other games?

Point I'm getting at is that I'm interested again and want a rundown of what awaits me lol. =D

Comments

• rainmournrainmourn Member UncommonPosts: 38

For me, TSW has the most immersive questing I've ever experienced. In some games, I'm like most scurrying questers who fails to read the fine print and dutifully brings back 12 boar livers, but in TSW, I slowed down, read the text, the clues, listened to the well-done cut-scenes and fell in love with the world and its inhabitants.

The graphics cranked to max feel like some of the nicest I've seen and  the combat was enjoyable, responsive feeling to me. My character was gorgeous and the one costume I purchased from the store still delights me. Ample inventory space, an innovative travel system, flexible skill trees and being able to display deco outfits instead of mismatched leveling gear are a few of the pluses.

The first time I tried the game, I too rather quickly decided I wasn't having fun. Got lost in the tutorial! But the second time, I paid more attention and found that TSW rewards it amply. It does demand a more intellectual approach (or googling for guides when you get stumped) but it's an mmo that deserved more fans than it garnered on release. I hope that it continues to build a bigger fan base as others discover its quieter, but long-lasting charm.

I have no idea about the end game, though--I'm only in the second major zone. Like I said, taking my sweet time with this one because it's all the sweeter for it. ;)

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

For me, it's really about the more thoughtful approach the game takes.  Quests are not simply throwaway "kill 10 rats" tasks, but more substantial stories that require attention and use of brain.  In fact the whole game is more tightly locked into the overall story, and almost everything in it -- the lore, the cutscenes, the mission purpose, the faction backstory, the dungeons, the investigations --  reveal glimpses into what is going on overall.   The game just throws you in and you discover as you go -- it's like playing an X-Files episode.

Yeah, people complain about combat, but they are completely missing the point of the game -- which is about story, discovery, flexibility in your build, taking your time, adapting to circumstances and horizontal progression.  If you are a power gamer looking to epeen your uber gear at the highest level, TSW is not really the game for you.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

This game has some of the most complex questing I've seen at times.

Following vague hints. cracking codes on computers, googling fake website information its all pretty varied on the investigation missions. I cant even try my hand at morse code or other signal types and have to resort to googling the answers. The ones you solve though definitely feel like an accomplishment.

Theres a lot less hand holding than on other themeparks

Originally posted by Tolmos

This game has been sitting on the top since it came out, and I've found myself, on more than one occasion, wondering why.

This isn't a post bashing the game, but an honest question from someone who hasn't put any real time into it. I attempted to play it a while back, got about an hour in and wasn't feeling it. I simply didn't give it enough time to really show me much of anything, I suppose, and wrote it off.

But as it sits here, #2 on the list still, I can't help but wonder what it is that I'm missing. What is different here than other games?

Point I'm getting at is that I'm interested again and want a rundown of what awaits me lol. =D

You might want to check out the trailer -- most of it is in-game footage:

http://youtu.be/h4mBS0SQfp8

• MangonisiumMangonisium Member UncommonPosts: 23

It's like the others have said, really. TSW has ridiculously unique quests for an MMO. They're often complex and require you to think and even do research outside the game. Oftimes an MMO will spout "investigative missions", but none hold a candle to TSW. In TSW you aren't given a waypoint to travel to in order to advance your investigative quest, but rather you'll need to figure it out on your own.

That said, the game isn't open world, and it does feature some 'Kill __" quests. Though let me say that I have absolutely no recollection of 'Kill y of x" quests. Simply "Go kill this unique mob". The generic mobs are there to be a pain in the ass, and to drop loot. So I guess it's not as bad as I made it initially sound, haha.

For me, personally, TSW's draw is the story. It's not a personal one like SWTOR, but it's for sure not generic. I think that's helped by being set in modern times. The story borrows from real world fables to create its own. So despite being a low fantasy story, it does feel a tad more realistic. In fact I'd say it does feel pretty realistic.

A warning though: the combat, though really complex deck (skill pool) wise, is a bit lacklustre. It's not an action game like, for example, Vindictus. It's also not a tab-and-hotkey game like the MMOs of old. It sits somewhere between the two. You do have to move around while fighting to not get your head smashed in, but you also have to go through a rotation of skills in your deck. Not sure if that's clear or not.

All in all, the game costs 20 or 30 bucks, and after that you can play for as long as you want without spending another dime. I think that's great incentive on its own, haha.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

its the story and the quest lines if you not the type of person to be into that then you problly wont care for it i dunno for you personally and the fact that YOU make your char. ..you can play hybrid or what ever type of toon you want..use swords guns and magic..what ever combo you may perfer

its only 10$ and no pay cycle  and agian the lore and story and creepy atmosphere is what makes the game..not zerging thru to finish it at max lvl the cash shop is nice for people that like to dress up their toons and the cash shop is NOT pay to win..95% of it is cosmetics

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

why I love TSW ;

1.setting

2.dungeons ; team work based on trinity

3.not locked in one class,not need alts

4.comunity

5. rp-ing

6. ...  I have fun playing  this game

Similar reasons:

No levels
    Reasonable mix of vertical and horizontal progression
    Questing that requires thought
    Flexibility emphasis over gear focus
    Deck system
    Fantastic story
    It's got character - not your typical bland generic MMO
    X-filish atmosphere and theme.
  • CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Mangonisium

That said, the game isn't open world, and it does feature some 'Kill __" quests. Though let me say that I have absolutely no recollection of 'Kill y of x" quests. Simply "Go kill this unique mob". The generic mobs are there to be a pain in the ass, and to drop loot. So I guess it's not as bad as I made it initially sound, haha.

Off-hand, I can only think of 1 pure 'Kill y of x'. In Savage Coast zone, League of Monster Slayers main mission, 1 mission tier is 'Spit in the Black Pool' where you fight a Filth monster. Right next to it is a side mission to kill nearby Filth mobs. Other than that, 'Kill y of x' is generally just 1 tier in a larger mission.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

I'll echo the previous posts by saying it has the best questing of an MMO to date. 

Additionally

The B2P model they use works.  You get the whole game and unlimited play time for the initial purchase.  The cash shop is there for additional content and costumes.  If you like what TSW team is creating, you'll end up purchasing the additional issues (IMO is the right way to do DLC)

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

For me it's all about the story, which the game does brilliantly. It's not as interactive/personal as SWTOR's - but it's very well done.

The game's also been lauded for it's atmosphere and setting, and for good reason as it has some of the best ambient sounds I've ever heard on an MMO.

The character building is fun as well. You have a huge amount of skills to pick from to build your "deck".

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Awesome storyline and the mood of the game. TSW and SWTOR are the only games I have right now installed on my computer.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• These kiddos are kinda fooling you.

The major reason is the B2P "feature." They yell at every other game for having a sub and this game is B2P.

Who spends weekly on the cash shop though for cosmetics? This guy. :D

I do like the game too lol and they really let you buy some over-the-top cosmetics and I appreciate that. It's what I was hoping in a B2P game. A B2P game with expensive cosmetics that make you look real good.

• BayonetReconBayonetRecon Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I like the B2P option!

I like the modern / lovecraft / horror theme. I like the mysteries, the quests that make me think (but aren't ridiculous puzzles).

I do like that my character isn't locked into a class.

I like the numerous clothing options. ;)

• adamthebraveadamthebrave Member Posts: 14

The story and amazing cutscenes are a big draw.  The lore is also a huge bonus.  They wrote a large amount of back-story and finding all the pieces adds a ton of depth to the story.

I've been playing off and on since closed beta and no other MMO has kept my interest like this one.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

You are not missing anything.   You played it and it wasn't for you.    That hasn't changed just because it sits at # 2 on some list.

But go ahead and try it again just to confirm what you already know.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

I won't echo what's already been said, but agree with it whole-heartedly.

One other thing about combat is that when you do choose your skills, it's wide open with little direction (you can use their preset decks, but they are not optimal).  You have to build a skillset (deck) with active and passive abilities that compliment each other to form what FC called a "synergy"....when you find your optimal build, it's just another solved puzzle much like the quests in the game.  

The best parts about it are the accomplishment you feel from solving the quests and perfecting your deck.

Also, the dungeons are top notch, all pretty fun and the hard/nightmare modes are what they are...never got to the raids so can't comment

The bad is the crafting system.  It was a great concept, but just didnt seem to translate well.

Another bad for me is gear.  I like gear sets with stats (however minimal they may be)...the idea that you can wear regular clothes and buy some from the cash shop, but never really have that Chestpiece of Uber-leetness is a letdown.  

I think overall its a really good game that you can enjoy very casually and never feel rushed to endgame or anything like that.

• fathamburgerfathamburger Member UncommonPosts: 10

The story and the world especially is it's biggest draw imo. You can play through wha'ts included in the game over 2 weeks if you're playing it every day full time and can treat it as a glorified single player game. IMO that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The other game the game doesn't get enough credit for is that there is a real genuine sense of progression between what skills you use and what builds you carry from the beginning to the late game. Previously thought useless skills will reveal their usefulness in combination with others and what you'll be using for solo, group (diff roles), endgame nightmare and PVP will all be wildly different. This has kept the game industry much more interesting for me vs other MMOs where you are using pretty much the same skills but grinding to Yet Another Level. It's also a lot of fun to replay content you've already beaten for additional rewards using an entirely new build and weapon sets. Other games which use class based systems can't compare in how fresh something like TSW can be even after you've played for ages.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Setting
    Skill point system
    investigation missions
    really good dungeons

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Boneserino

You are not missing anything.   You played it and it wasn't for you.    That hasn't changed just because it sits at # 2 on some list.

But go ahead and try it again just to confirm what you already know.

It could be that it is not for you; it could also be that you haven't gotten deep enough to find something that interests you. A few others have commented that they found the early game dull and boring but it opened up a little later. TSW is a game that can reward experimentation. Don't just mechanically buy up the abilities for your current weapons. Read the descriptions of all of the others, too. Even without switching weapons, you can equip some really handy passive abilities.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I think only geniuses play this game. I remember starting a thread on the official discussion board about the difficulty with some of the quests and all the responses were along the lines, "I never need hints or have to look anything up".   The Secret World is apparently played by the Mensa Society. 
  • SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I think only geniuses play this game. I remember starting a thread on the official discussion board about the difficulty with some of the quests and all the responses were along the lines, "I never need hints or have to look anything up".   The Secret World is apparently played by the Mensa Society. 

I remember one of the quests gave me 3 8 digit numbers. I was like what do I do with these.

Told a friend about it and he said what were the numbers, I showed him the numbers and he said that's easy, I did this in college math prep (use to be a final year of high school after grade 12 where I live). And told me how to figure the answer out.

I don't know if he is a genius, but he was exposed to it so he recognized what he was looking at.

You don't have to be a genius in life, but it is very much worthwhile to expose yourself to different things so you can at the very minimum have an idea of what is around you and what you are looking at.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by CasualMaker
    Originally posted by Mangonisium

Off-hand, I can only think of 1 pure 'Kill y of x'. In Savage Coast zone, League of Monster Slayers main mission, 1 mission tier is 'Spit in the Black Pool' where you fight a Filth monster. Right next to it is a side mission to kill nearby Filth mobs. Other than that, 'Kill y of x' is generally just 1 tier in a larger mission.

Pretty much.  There's the "chess" mission, also, where you have to kill 8 "pawns" for step one, and it goes on from there as you work your way to the "king".  But it doesn't at all feel like a "kill x of y" mission.

there's a couple in Blue Mountain, too, one you get from a guy by a campfire(I might be thinking of Transylvania) near the entrance and one in the trailer park.  But again, they just don't feel like those kinds of throwaway missions, and they aren't that common.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by flizzer

I'd bet they're full of crap, unless they're skipping the investigation missions.  Either way, you don't have to know everything to play the game; even the investigation missions.  The hardest part is figuring out what you're looking at and use your resources to find the solution.

- .... . / ..-. .-. . .. --. .... - / - .-. .- .. -. / --- ..-. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .... . .- .-. - / -- .- ... .... . -.. / .- / - .-. ..- -.-. -.- .-.. --- .- -.. / --- ..-. / -- -.-- / -.. .-. . .- -- ... / .- - / - .... . / -.-. .-. --- ... ... .-. --- .- -.. ... / --- ..-. / .- / .-.. .. ..-. . - .. -- . / --- ..-. / .-.. --- ...- .. -. / -.-- --- ..- / .- -. -.. / - .... .. ... / --. ..- .. - .- .-. / -- -.-- / -.. .- -.. -.. -.-- / --. .- ...- . / - --- / -- . / -.. --- .-- -. / .. -. / ... .- -. / .- -. - --- -. .

• VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

1. Beautiful visuals

2. A modern setting, for a change

3. Excellent storytelling

4. Complex, Hard and well thought out questing

5. Interesting dungeons

6. Active and friendly community

7. It's buy to play

On the other hand. the PvP sucks. So if you're into MMOs because of that , by all means stay away from TSW.