Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Persistent World or Lobby Game?

Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 224
Is this a free roam Persistent world or is it more like a Diablo lobby game where you get a co op team and do missions?

Comments

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Both. There are persistant worlds where you interact with other players. There are also queues for cetain types of pvp. This game has a bit of everything, but (as far as I've seen) does them all well!

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    Its a lobby game. When you are playing you will see most of the time 2 players. When there are events in your area another group of people will be ported in to fight the event and then ported out ocne it is done. They are a city for when you are waiting in queue to join people where you can see everyones gear and that is where you see the most of the people. So unless raiding or something else you will only be seeing 2 other people at all times.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    from what i read it will be like GW1 where the city is a main hub but you get your own map once you exit. you can ahve a party join you but no random players to encounter

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by jircris
    from what i read it will be like GW1 where the city is a main hub but you get your own map once you exit. you can ahve a party join you but no random players to encounter

Pretty sure they said the exact opposite in a trailer/demo. 

To me it looks like it will be some megaserver, letting you encounter other people but keeping it limited. 

Too bad no PC version confirmed yet and dont seem to have space travel and actually landing on planets. Would been awesome. 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

There is an excellent 20 minute vid put together for this site (and others) about what Destiny is. And the simple answer is "iits persistent world".

I would caveat this answer though by saying that most games do not have a persistent world they have a persistent character experience.

In Eve if stuff happens it happens. Most games have lots of copies of the world (servers) and there are often key quests which once completed change the world for you. Turn up in that area with someone who hasn't done the quest and you will get different experiences. WoW has had this since it launched. TESO has it big time.

• Persistent world vs. persistent character experience. Destiny - as far as we know - is persistent character experience. There are however hints that, as with WoW, the world may change for everyone with subsequent expansions.
    Lobby games.

If you log into e.g. WoW say, click to join a scenario / dungeon / raid you will be transported to the selected adventure. That differs from a lobby game how? Well you log in where you log out. Again it is about persistent character experience. And those who started playing EQ1 will remember logging into chat rooms!

So called lobby games - to keep things simple and therefore cheaper - dispensed with the illusion. 

• Most mmos are lobby games with trappings

Destiny has the trappings - and in that sense it is not a lobby game. But as I said the distinction is subtle. It is a big world and you can roam in it but ....

The real question will be the extent to which it has used phasing to personalise the character experience. WoW only has a few phases so you tend not to notice them. TESO has oodles of them - leading to talk about phasing getting in the way of the "open world" experience. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    not quite a lobby game as such, but no persistent world either, think of it more as being like GW1's model that had central hubs/towns where players met formed parties etc and then ventured out into an 'instanced' adventure zone that is created as soon as you leave the town and disappears when you leave it. image
  • Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

its both. There is the "tower" main city for merchants, socializing without combat etc.

when you leave any area you are transported to your director on your ship. Every planet you go to is open world. I am not sure how they do the technology but it looks like it's sharded in some way. You see people questing, exploring etc in any of the open worlds. 

For fireteams, pvp you que up. Traveling is always done via ship with director. 

Originally posted by Demmi77

its both. There is the "tower" main city for merchants, socializing without combat etc.

when you leave any area you are transported to your director on your ship. Every planet you go to is open world. I am not sure how they do the technology but it looks like it's sharded in some way. You see people questing, exploring etc in any of the open worlds. 

Im pretty sure you dont see anyone in the world besides who is in your team besides certain group up missions where they are transported back to their world after it is.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Yes it is 100% lobby game. Not like a MOBA lobby, where you arent in the world, but like GW1 or Vindictus lobby, where you are in the world, but in a town/hub. Once you leave the hub, you are instanced to your group.

There is no persistant world. The only people you see outside of the town/hub are the ones you are grouped with, or maybe a random group doing a mission, then leaving. You will not encounter other players randomly outside of the hub.

This is exactly what a lobby MMO is, not a lobby MOBA, which is nothing more than a chat room before entering the world. Yes you are in the world already, but the hub is your lobby. Being in the world doesnt make it a persistant world, the fact is that the world is instanced to your group and generated as needed.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Originally posted by TankYou88

Im pretty sure you dont see anyone in the world besides who is in your team besides certain group up missions where they are transported back to their world after it is.

incorrect. You will see people exploring, doing missions, public events etc.. 

"We've structured Destiny's world to have places where you will probably intersect with other players, and places where you won't. We're not going to have players drop into the climax of a mission, but the common landing zones for a given planet? That seems like a great place to see other players running amok in the world.

EDIT: Regardless of what activity you're playing (PVP aside), you'll see players on their own activities, i.e., players beginning a Strike might see a guy collecting Relic Iron on Mars, and a Public Event begins and suddenly everyone is distracted to take down a key Cabal target for a chance at powerful gear and materials to upgrade your best weapons and armor."

incorrect. You will see people exploring, doing missions, public events etc.. 

"We've structured Destiny's world to have places where you will probably intersect with other players, and places where you won't. We're not going to have players drop into the climax of a mission, but the common landing zones for a given planet? That seems like a great place to see other players running amok in the world.

EDIT: Regardless of what activity you're playing (PVP aside), you'll see players on their own activities, i.e., players beginning a Strike might see a guy collecting Relic Iron on Mars, and a Public Event begins and suddenly everyone is distracted to take down a key Cabal target for a chance at powerful gear and materials to upgrade your best weapons and armor."

"For instance, rather than players being able to see and interact with all other players in the game or on a particular server — as is the case in many conventional MMO games — Destiny will include on-the-fly matchmaking that will allow players to see and interact only with other players with whom they are "matched" by the game and/or with whom they have voluntarily opted to play"

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    The open world stuff is done nicely. You will run into random players all the time. Not a lot but like one or two will join your map and there's quests to find in the world so you guys can just do stuff together.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

its Lobby based. The PvE roaming/exploration areas are not entirely persistent, they just throw you in the area with a small random team (unless you specifically go there with friends). So you will only see those guys in the area.

The persistence of the world is at a coop level.

Edit: however, since the random people in your area arent part of your fireteam i believe there is space for you to invite your friends so thats nice.

I actually like this system, i just wish the fireteams were bigger, like 10-16 player at least in PvE.

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

its Lobby based. The PvE roaming/exploration areas are not entirely persistent, they just throw you in the area with a small random team (unless you specifically go there with friends). So you will only see those guys in the area.

Edit: however, since the random people in your area arent part of your fireteam i believe there is space for you to invite your friends so thats nice.

I actually like this system, i just wish the fireteams were bigger, like 10-16 player at least in PvE.

There are raids that are said to be about that big. But nothing is certain, at least the last time I looked into it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

There are raids that are said to be about that big. But nothing is certain, at least the last time I looked into it.

i havent heard about raids in Destiny, but back in Alpha the dungeons (typical mmo group dungeons) were 3 people group only.

i havent heard about raids in Destiny, but back in Alpha the dungeons (typical mmo group dungeons) were 3 people group only.

Here you go. http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/05/02/new-info-on-destinys-raids-the-endgame-activity

Im really not too happy with this game but have been keeping my eyes open to information just in case. I heard something about them trying to do 12 or larger raids but we will see.

• TX_ImhotepTX_Imhotep Member Posts: 30
    Its a lobby game. When you are playing you will see most of the time 2 players. When there are events in your area another group of people will be ported in to fight the event and then ported out ocne it is done. They are a city for when you are waiting in queue to join people where you can see everyones gear and that is where you see the most of the people. So unless raiding or something else you will only be seeing 2 other people at all times.

Um nope. I spent a good bit of time in the Rocket Yard and Moth Yard yesterday. Consistently more than 2 people in both areas. Matter of fact there were multiple fireteams in the area farming like I was.

• jemreijemrei Member UncommonPosts: 9
    The areas on the planets are open to an extent, you will see other groups and fireteams up to a certain amount of players, ive seen around 10-12 on the roster when im exploring cosmodrome. the strike missions and co-op missions you are in your own instance for, but once you go into the open area, you can encounter people doing stuff. you are not instanced outside of thestory and strike tema mission areas, its jsut not thousands of players at once like an mmo, youll see around 10-12 on the map your in.
  • gothmog99zgothmog99z Member Posts: 22

you must have been on a different game,i saw plenty of people in the zones i was in.you had places you could do and pick up missions on site,which was actually mixed in with the other areas,in fact you could travel from area to area without missions and just grind if you wanted.