Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As a gay gamer "gay gaming news" annoys me

2»

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    You know as well as the rest of us that the world at large have more then some way to go. So yes this is blatant marketing but that is not to say it does not do good at the same time. Gaming have been a bastion that have refused to follow the trend we see in other media when it comes to normalizing homosexuality (or the humanization of women.. ) so i choose to look past the marketing part especially as EA as a company have won awards for their workplace programs for equal rights.

This have been a good conversation

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by toddze

I agree with the OP.

I am straight as an arrow, but I see a lot of this gay stuff just as a marketing ploy for attention. A persons sexuality has no place to be discussed in games, or game related material.

People coming out as "gay" in game chat, is one of my grips about a game community, all it is, is seeking drama.

It's been said many times but the only way to have truly equal rights is when no one gives a fuck what you are either way.

This is exactly as I feel. I just find it rather annoying because I would have though by 2014 that it wouldn't really be news, but apparently people still do give a fuck.

Most people only give a fuck because it is news. Say they just added this character in the game, didnt market is as a "fully gay" character months before the game releases. No one would give two shits.

The fact that sites like this and other "make" it "news" is the real problem. Most people wouldnt have a problem with it or even care if it wasnt "news".

Personally I support gay rights. I support Gay marriage, me and my wife attended a gay wedding a few months ago for a couple who are long term friends of ours. Overall I am supportive. What I get tired of is crap like BWs 1st "fully gay" character being news. Its not news at all, so what if they have a gay character. It seems like people who are gay would get tired of anything gay being news and over sensationalized by the media.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I think that "First gay character in games" is just as untolerant as having none.

Its like saying in another words :  "yes its un natural abomination, but we are so tolerant and good hearted that we allow it anyway."

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

You are not going to oppress a sexuality for hundreds of years and have it stroll quietly into the public.  Its going to come out rather strong with some annoyances.  While I too find it a little annoying its not really that big of a deal.  American gays tend to be rather political and this is just appealing to that market.

I do not think this is detrimental or beneficial.  I kind of see it more as a wave or a wake,  its going to happen there is little use in bitching about it.

As much as I want to just hit the ground normally with my sexuality,  its those who were loud an annoying that paved the way for me to do so.

• EnterTheWombatEnterTheWombat Member UncommonPosts: 112

If there is no news about a topic, it's under reported and being ignored. 

If there is news about a topic, it's sensationalism and annoying or simply for marketing purposes. 

Glad you decided to make a thread drawing attention to the fact that you find a company drawing attention to the same fact, is in fact, annoying to you. Nicely done. 

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

"In 1986, Infocom released Moonmist, a text adventure mystery with several possible randomly selected plotlines. In one of these plotlines, the criminal is a female artist who is jealous because her girlfriend has got married to a man. This is the first instance of a homosexual character in a video game.[1]"

"In 1988, Nintendo released Super Mario Bros. 2 for the NES. In the first-edition manual for the North American release of the game, Birdo is referred to as a male who believes that he is a female and would rather be called "Birdetta", making her the first transgender character for Nintendo."

They are 28 years to late to be the first...

This discussion has been closed.