Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars is a lot more like Skyrim than ESO ever tried to be. (I had to see it to belie

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Holophonist

So what's closer?

Imo, nothing can be considered as close.

There is no point in making a robust sandbox thus there aren't really any developers following similar design.

Is this the Gemini from Image back in DF1?   If so, it just sounds like your jaded from AV's past history of let downs.  I personally think the AV devs right now, over the last year, have been the hardest working dev team in the industry.  They have been relentless in putting out patches to improve the game and they are actually listening to feedback.  Hell, yesterday we had a pretty awesome balance patch after they just recently scrapped the class system.  There were a few issues with the patch, and there was a hotfix this morning.  That's what I mean.  

Devs like Ma$$ are working hard at regaining the trust of the community.  It's also working.  Every night I'm in a battle fighting over territory or providing payback to backstappers or defending a holding. 

DFUW is the fantasy ying to EVE's science fiction yang. 

Next on AV's chopping block is siege equipment with some awesome machinery that will make you salivate.  They are also working on adding quests and an alignment system (which would shrink down the safe zone). 

Regardless, DF is the best MMO I have ever played and it keeps getting better.  For a lot of other people, it is the best game that they will never play.  Sucks to be them.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Sorry this game is not like Skyrim or eve for that matter, its really its own little mess.  No reason to restate what others have already said.
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Sorry this game is not like Skyrim or eve for that matter, its really its own little mess.  No reason to restate what others have already said.

Sorry, but people need to decide that for themselves.  OP gave a pretty good write up explaining why.  Then you come in here and say nope.  That opinion just doesn't hold weight here. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Thane

just curious, since everyone is refering to "SKYRIM" and not "ELDER SCROLLS" here...

does darkfall have dragons? shouts?

because quite franky, that's what SKYRIM was about.

yes...unlike like ESO (I assume) Darkfall has Dragons.

Having said that I think the game is more like Morrowind then Syrim but only because of the graphic art style is more Morrowind like.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by greenreen

Chiming in here because I recently left the game after playing since about 4/4 so close to 3 mos.

The thing that broke this camel's back was the mentioning of removal of or reduction of space which is considered a safe zone and free from player attack.

A preface.

I've played every sort of PVP mmo you can imagine and even in WOW I chose an RP/PVP server along with in Rift. When given the choice I always took the harder route to level to challenge myself in even a game which offers easier paths because I find PVP more engaging than mob fighting. So, before you get the impression that I'm just too soft or too carebear for this game, let's squash that response at the core.

The game has issues which I've been trying to overlook but I now took to heart and with all combined and forming a larger picture I've decided to discontinue my subscription to the game.

The time to kill is entirely too low. People can attack from behind for increased damage. Because of this, the traditional way you will be met for a battle is from behind and while you are fighting mobs. The person will take 2 hits or more before you are aware that you are being attacked by a player since you can't see behind you. There is no rearview camera. You can circle constantly to try to spot someone near you or jump back and forth but you only end up turning your back to a mob or multiples of them again, taking more damage from a source.

Imagine that the best amount of health you can have is about 450. People regularly attack you for 70+ damage without critting and I was wearing the second best level of armor below heavy - primalist robes. So, I was not built as a glass cannon and was not poofy. There are a maximum of about 6 hits you can take then without reacting properly - how fast do 6 hits happen, that's how long fights can last. In that moment you can't feign death to drop mob aggro, you will be fighting however many mobs are on you and this player.

Gear is mandatory. If you refuse to wear gear to reduce the amount of gear you lose, the game punishes you on your character sheet by making 100% of the damage you take be crit damage. Every attack on you by mob or player is always a crit. You can successfully fight some mobs if you can dodge their attacks but you will not win many fights taking 100% crit damage from other players - see TTK above.

There is no honor in this game. Nothing is hardcore about attacking someone from behind who is fighting mobs. Nothing is fair about a 100k player destroying a 10k player and returning 1/2 hour later to try to do it again as they rotate through the mob spawns - no glory in these wins. The risk is all on the player trying to eek out an existence and none is on the person attacking people at mob spawns carrying nothing but their gear. The player fighting mobs risks their mob loot AND their gear.

The solution to the ganking problem is always listed as "Join a clan" which then becomes "Why do ppl zerg so much, gawd you cowards" in the complaint when you were attacked. Make up my mind - should I roll with 3 at all times or should I solo because either way I'm wrong. And if I roll with 3 and you bring 5, next you will tell me that I should have rolled with 5 or joined a "better" clan. You see, the problem is never the game, or the players, or the mechanics in place - it's always YOU who is wrong, YOU who are the carebear, YOU who can't just take it like a man. 

I have finally taken it upon myself to disagree that it's me alone and I chose to share blame with a rotten community of some genuine psychopaths who see every person they kill as a notch on their fantasy path as a precursor to acting out their mental illness on real life people. I'm serious, I really found some people in that game from discussion who truly lacked empathy. Even the game developers chose to highlight one of them as a "Community Streamer" who not only spends their entire time camping newbies and rotating the mob spawns, they cast it on Twitch. If you do cast the game on Twitch to advertise it - this person will openly snipe you. This mentality is not helping the game and I can't blame that on the developers but if that's what they choose to advertise it does hold them accountable as accepting of this sort of behavior when they promote it by word or title. 

It's a surreal experience to play Darkfall, I don't expect to ever return to it. Many of the players there admitted to being quite young - like 11 years old young. It was impossible to have any intelligent discussion with someone who calls people jew faggot and hasn't even started puberty telling you that all people who don't make 120k a year are losers.

As a side note - If you know me from the forums otherwise I only play sub games. This game added a cash shop to the game while I was playing my "sub game". I also was peeved by that and it became a factor too for the final exit. My exit was abrupt and I didn't give away anything like I would normally when leaving a game. This time I thought it would only be a final "gank" if I did give anyone that loot so, I took it with me to the final gravestone I selected, my own.

You sound like you never tried to get better.  Did you practice fighting to learn to defend yourself?  For me I love the fact that my stuff can be taken away.  Never again will I play an MMO that does not have full loot.  I'm a PVE'er at heart but where is the fun in killing stuff with no risk.  It is just so boring.  With Darkfall succeeding by placing your hard earned winnings in the bank is a nice feeling of elation.  A high.  Of course when you get killed you feel that sting and are at the low.  I will take this every fricken time over a game where it is a flat line experience with zero risk.

So PVE'ing in Darkfall needs to be done differently:

a) Don't farm as long at a time before banking.  The golden rule is bank when, if you were to be killed, it would hurt.  Sure that may seem tedious, but you greatly increase your odds of keeping that loot.

b) Use good head phones and crank up the sound.  I also recommend a sound card.  I got a sound card for the first time solely for Darkfall.  It was like a blind man seeing for the first time.  I can hear everything for a far ways out.  So if your farming, pay attention to the sounds and if anything sounds out of the ordinary, get ready for a fight or run, or hide. 

c) Learn some of the more traveled routes and avoid the mob spawns at those routes.  Maybe there is the same spawn farther out.

d)  If you get knocked down, get back up.  There have been many times that I have died and lost shit.  A lot of those times I dusted myself off, regeared and went back out.  Some of those times I ended up getting more than what I had, with a lucky string of chaos chests, etc.

You also mention the community.  Personally, I think the ingame community is one of the best out there.  Sure you have some asshats that go out of their way to grief you.  Others are just looking for a fight and/or are willing to help.  It's also a mature community with the majority between 20-40.  So, your experience with 11 year old kids doesn't match mine. 

Also the cash shop is just for name changes, respecs and fireworks.  Get a grip.  I also will only pay a sub and this type of cash shop is acceptable to me.  Actually I'm happy that AV is actually making some extra money, of which I rewarded with a purchase in the cash shop.

Sounds like you had a frustrating experience, but I wonder how much you tried to adapt and change.  Darkfall is not for everyone though but good luck trying to find a game that will illicit as much emotion when playing.

people should not confuse 'is Darkfall a bad game' with 'it is more like Elder Scrolls then ESO is?' which is the key question here.

Be careful convincing people that Darkfall is a bad game AND its like ES because then that would make ES a bad game.

I suggest focus..

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Personaly I feel that ESO is what a ES MMORPG is able to be however Darkfall seems to be and have it's feature's the way many complainers about ESO would have liked ESO to be.

So OP I can fully understand your view point.

And would perhaps be more into Darkfall then ESO if I would still have been in my 20's. But as I grew older I tend to have my MMORPG to be my relaxe game. I can solo if I want, can group if I want. Love exploring and finding resources. I'll take my time. This is not to say people equal to my age (42) might feel different but when I read many complaints I can relate to them as I know I thought the same way in my 20's. For some age might not make any difference, so please take it as my personal opinion, but when I reflect back I see I have changed in regards to how I look at games and how I play them.

Then there are those who wanted just a co-op game, those won't touch Darkfal nor Elder Scrolls Onlinel, most likely they liked the PVE aspect of ES games since there never has been multiplayer (unless you count a few not so good mods great try's never the less) and get annoyed with the aspect of too many other people around while playing solo or co-op. So both are not a option for them.

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281

The future for Darkfall looks bright.

The game is more polished than it has ever been, the developers are more responsive than they have ever been, all the game systems are finally coming together well, and the community is really active.

No other MMO on the market can boast:

-Full loot

-Player driven politics

-Fast paced, 100% manually aimed combat

-Boat combat

-Player driven economics and crafting

-Engaging PvE

-Complete character skill/stat/weapon customization

-No instances

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

Originally posted by Uzik

The future for Darkfall looks bright.

The game is more polished than it has ever been, the developers are more responsive than they have ever been, all the game systems are finally coming together well, and the community is really active.

No other MMO on the market can boast:

-Full loot

-Player driven politics

-Fast paced, 100% manually aimed combat

-Boat combat

-Player driven economics and crafting

-Engaging PvE

-Complete character skill/stat/weapon customization

-No instances

You forgot player built cites/hamlets, sieges, housing (albeit lottery based).

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by greenreen

See - exactly as I stated. You are again blaming the player.

You would love EVE.

That is why I say that there is nothing even remotely close to EVE Online, every other game is just so incredibly shallow when compared to.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Darkfall is not really a PVP arena type of game anymore. These days the games focus is on active PVE grinding - or at least ganking players that are PVE grinding. All the semi afk activities that people could use to have a pvp centric game have been nerfed to crap. Gear has been made more important, too.

That being said I still think that a full loot title with a heavy pve grind for basic gear is like the dumbest idea ever.

LFG!
    Originally posted by eHug

Darkfall is not really a PVP arena type of game anymore. These days the games focus is on active PVE grinding - or at least ganking players that are PVE grinding. All the semi afk activities that people could use to have a pvp centric game have been nerfed to crap. Gear has been made more important, too.

That being said I still think that a full loot title with a heavy pve grind for basic gear is like the dumbest idea ever.

nearly nothing you said makes any sense.

Darkfall 1 was not at all a PVP arena type game..not even in that ballpark.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Sorry, but people need to decide that for themselves.  OP gave a pretty good write up explaining why.  Then you come in here and say nope.  That opinion just doesn't hold weight here. 

Sorry but you are dead wrong.  I will use the posts in this thread who agree with my take for starters.  Secondly every opinion is just that.  Just because you don't like mine, the problem could be yours since other opinions in this thread and other threads about this game which share the same view as I do.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

IMO a person could make the same list about what features ESO shares with TES, and it would be just as true. Wear any armor? You can do that in ESO as well can't you? Open world? Vanilla wow had an open world, does that make it TES like? I tried the original DF due to so many Morrowind comparisons, I found little in the way of commonalities.

TES at it's core is a deep quest driven game, the open world has little in the way of features outside of killing and collecting, housing, has little in the way of customization. It shares more with a common themepark than it does something like SWG or UO. Which wasn't UO, DF's chief influence?

The way I look at it is if a few features that ESO shares with TES doesn't make it a TES game, nor does the few features any other MMO may share with them. Deciding which is more TES like based on your own favorite features is as arbitrary as one can get, DF is as much a TES game as MO is, neither share much in common with that series of games.

At it's heart DF is a PVP game, at it's heart ESO is as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

IMO a person could make the same list about what features ESO shares with TES, and it would be just as true. Wear any armor? You can do that in ESO as well can't you?

I am not familiar with the details of ESO mechanics. Some I am but diving a few layers deep I am not.

Am I to understand your ONE character who can fight with a sword and put on armour can also wear a mages robe?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Distopia

IMO a person could make the same list about what features ESO shares with TES, and it would be just as true. Wear any armor? You can do that in ESO as well can't you?

I am not familiar with the details of ESO mechanics. Some I am but diving a few layers deep I am not.

Am I to understand your ONE character who can fight with a sword and put on armour can also wear a mages robe?

You can fight with any weapon or armor in ESO you can pick up pretty much any skill you want as well. There are small things like that all through ESO, that attempt to make it a TES experience, and it still doesn't really make it so. TES is a unique series, very few games (even those trying to be just like it, Two Worlds, etc..) offer enough features to really compare. I think a lot of that has to do with this kind of reasoning TBH, a few features doesn't make up the cohesive whole that is TES.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I agree with the overall point the OP makes. 

However, it doesn't make DF a good game.  It's got the worst melee combat in any game I've ever experienced.  Oblivion had better melee and that's saying a lot.  

If they had implemented something more like DCUO's weapon combos, blocking, and dodging I'd probably still be playing the game and would be willing to overlook many of the other faults I have with it.  

Like the economy, the huge grind, the massive disparity between newer players and older players, the preplaces housing and castles, and magic banks that allow you to access items anywhere in the world and results in a shallow economy.  These are just a few things, that along with the god awful melee, makes DF no better than ESO and not really a worthy substitute for a real ES MMO.  

BTW, mortal online is far more like an ES game than DF, and if they had had ESO's budget and a team of devs who knew what they were doing it would have been a great game.  

PS: comparing DF to EVE is an insult to CCP and EVE online.  Just because they both have FFA PvP doesn't make them similar.  DF is full loot that doesn't really have that much of a benefit to the economy.  EVE has destruction which is integral to the economy of the game. 

Originally posted by Uhwop

However, it doesn't make DF a good game.  It's got the worst melee combat in any game I've ever experienced.  Oblivion had better melee and that's saying a lot.  

If they had implemented something more like DCUO's weapon combos, blocking, and dodging I'd probably still be playing the game and would be willing to overlook many of the other faults I have with it.  

Like the economy, the huge grind, the massive disparity between newer players and older players, the prep laces housing and castles, and magic banks that allow you to access items anywhere in the world and results in a shallow economy.  These are just a few things, that along with the god awful melee, makes DF no better than ESO and not really a worthy substitute for a real ES MMO.  

BTW, mortal online is far more like an ES game than DF, and if they had had ESO's budget and a team of devs who knew what they were doing it would have been a great game.  

i think the conversation is not about if Darkfall is a good game or not. The conversation is on how its more like ES then ESO is.

Like the economy, the huge grind, the massive disparity between newer players and older players, the prep laces housing and castles, and magic banks that allow you to access items anywhere in the world and results in a shallow economy.  These are just a few things, that along with the god awful melee, makes DF no better than ESO and not really a worthy substitute for a real ES MMO.  

i think the conversation is not about if Darkfall is a good game or not. The conversation is on how its more like ES then ESO is.

You would be correct if the OP wasn't also pitching the game as a substitute for ESO, for those people looking for an ES MMO and found ESO lacking. 

You can read the whole thing like I did, or just skip to the very end.  

You would be correct if the OP wasn't also pitching the game as a substitute for ESO, for those people looking for an ES MMO and found ESO lacking. 

well true.

I think given the sensitivity of the subject he should have made two seperate threads so the point doesnt get confused.

PS: comparing DF to EVE is an insult to CCP and EVE online.  Just because they both have FFA PvP doesn't make them similar.  DF is full loot that doesn't really have that much of a benefit to the economy.  EVE has destruction which is integral to the economy of the game. 

So does Darkfall.  Did you know that there is a durability loss upon gank?  Low dura gear will break and disappear.  The economy balance thread did a lot to the game.  It got people out actively farming and more rewarding than semi=afk harvesting.  Still a ways to go though and AV will openly admit that. 

well true.

I think given the sensitivity of the subject he should have made two seperate threads so the point doesnt get confused.

Pretty sure the point of the OP is that DF is more like ES than ESO and so you should try it if you're looking for something more like ES.  

Quality shouldn't be disregarded just because its more similar.  

Rat is more like beef than tofu is, but I wouldn't eat either if what I want is a steak. 

In the same vein, if I wanted a game that was more like an ES game, I wouldn't play either DF or ESO, I'd just go play an ES game. Neither are worthy substitutes.

However, if I was going to recommend an MMO that was most similar to ES it wouldn't be darkfall, it would be mortal online.  You also don't have to spend a penny to find out that MO lacks quality.  

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I kind of think there is more to Elder Scrolls games, at least from Morrowind on (possibly Daggerfall, still playing and having technical difficulties) than just skill based and open world.

there needs to be an interesting and compelling world where the players can explore.

If you were to take pvp out of Darkfall would the remaining content be compelling/interesting?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo