Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online GM team continue to censor forums

anaccount74anaccount74 Member Posts: 5

"You have received a warning on the Mortal Online Forums for Negativity.

The following content in the thread hi all, sebs twitter is considered to be in violation of the forum rules:

Fantastic, more buggy shit for us to warp through while in combat. Let me guess, they will accidentally enable clientside collisions on those destruction debris while there's no serverside collision, leading to people warping through them and murdering people who get stuck in them. This will then not be fixed for 4 years.

As a reminder:
III(d). Discussions will be mature. Refrain from ranting, spamming, flooding, being overly negative, and trolling.
III(e). Content will be constructive.

This is a minor infraction worth 1 point. Continuing to accrue warning points can result in a temporary or possible permanent ban of your forum account.
Additionally, continual violations of the forum rules may lead to action being taken against your game account(s).

Thank you for your understanding,
Mortal Online Moderation Staff

The starvault team has constant issues with people ddosing the game and website, at one point it was going down every day at primetime, spamming the forums and attacking the irc channel They've had to re-enable logged in users only on their irc channel recently and the activity in it has dropped back down to 10 people, due to people coming into the irc channel and spamming not just text, but links to certain, eh, illegal content. And they wonder why? Because normal criticism and severe shit like that are punished all the same, they encourage that level of backlash with their own actions. It's their own fault at this point, and if they EVER want to improve the way the community acts, they need to improve themselves first. People dont do these things in this volume unless they feel like they've been wronged.

This post is just more of the same. Maybe someday it'll get through their thick little skulls that their current moderation strategy doesnt, and has never worked.

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by anaccount74

"You have received a warning on the Mortal Online Forums for Negativity.

The following content in the thread hi all, sebs twitter is considered to be in violation of the forum rules:

Fantastic, more buggy shit for us to warp through while in combat. Let me guess, they will accidentally enable clientside collisions on those destruction debris while there's no serverside collision, leading to people warping through them and murdering people who get stuck in them. This will then not be fixed for 4 years.

As a reminder:
    III(d). Discussions will be mature. Refrain from ranting, spamming, flooding, being overly negative, and trolling.
    III(e). Content will be constructive.

This is a minor infraction worth 1 point. Continuing to accrue warning points can result in a temporary or possible permanent ban of your forum account.
    Additionally, continual violations of the forum rules may lead to action being taken against your game account(s).

Thank you for your understanding,
    Mortal Online Moderation Staff

The starvault team has constant issues with people ddosing the game and website, at one point it was going down every day at primetime, spamming the forums and attacking the irc channel They've had to re-enable logged in users only on their irc channel recently and the activity in it has dropped back down to 10 people, due to people coming into the irc channel and spamming not just text, but links to certain, eh, illegal content. And they wonder why? Because normal criticism and severe shit like that are punished all the same, they encourage that level of backlash with their own actions. It's their own fault at this point, and if they EVER want to improve the way the community acts, they need to improve themselves first. People dont do these things in this volume unless they feel like they've been wronged.

This post is just more of the same. Maybe someday it'll get through their thick little skulls that their current moderation strategy doesnt, and has never worked.

well reading your post it had nothing constructive to say...

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by deathshroud

well reading your post it had nothing constructive to say...

[mod edit]

Regarding been negative others would say that he certainly is but others would simply see that he is pointing one possible issue. Let me ask you a question though: do you find ban for been negative a legitimate forum rule cause to be honest i really dont live in a world of rainbows and pots of gold and certainly i m not enjoying getting banned everytime i feel like pointing out the flawss or the possible screw ups in a game i m paying to play.

Unless Mortal Online official forums is a place that people can only make remarks regarding how awesome Sebastian Person is and that Henrik Nystrom is born to bring the revolution to the sandbox genre your logic is totally flawed. What happened to you? are you back on the fanboy train?

• AndarusAndarus Member Posts: 7

Banning for negativity is certainly a legitimate forum practice, since it is their forum. Whether it should be encouraged or not is an entirely different matter. 

Suggesting that a company's policy (that you likely agreed to pre-forum use in ToS or somesuch) enforcement justifies negative behavior is ridiculous. Spamming their sites in an attempt to bring them down (or drown them in bleh) may make some adolescent-minded individuals feel better, but the behavior is not justified. That's like suggesting it's ok walking into a library and causing chaos because you were kicked out of the library for making too much noise. 

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

For such a "hardcore" anything goes game- They sure are carebear about the things said on their forum.

I personally have been banned and censored over there countless times and was actually a constructive poster for a good minute who was still being censored (especially during the Beta) so then I became I Troll. =P

Those guys are the biggest assholes I have ever dealt with- Bar none.

-That said, the Ops post was still not very tactful- But thats the thing. After being tactful and still censored and all the insanity that goes in that game, you reach a breaking point and get pissed.

Op quit that abomination and join us in the "hate" crusade. This forum sucks now (EDIT: I mean the MO subforum- mmorpg.com is still the best mmo site out there imho)and it used to be the most entertaining forum on the inteweb.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by Andarus

Banning for negativity is certainly a legitimate forum practice, since it is their forum. Whether it should be encouraged or not is an entirely different matter. 

Not to me m8. Its a public forum for an online game. The first reason its in spot is discussing its problems, finding solutions, solving the problems, making suggestions etc etc.

Suggesting that a company's policy (that you likely agreed to pre-forum use in ToS or somesuch) enforcement justifies negative behavior is ridiculous. Spamming their sites in an attempt to bring them down (or drown them in bleh) may make some adolescent-minded individuals feel better, but the behavior is not justified. That's like suggesting it's ok walking into a library and causing chaos because you were kicked out of the library for making too much noise. 

TOS agreement is by no means law. Thats a bit over the top to say though cause absolutely no one in their right minds will place himself in the awkward position to drive forum admins in a court of law just to make them change childish rules that couldnt even fit among the students of a kindergarden.

I ll agree that theres absolutely no occasion that justifies DDO"s attack on any site even though entire "legions" will disagree with me... But lets simply agree on that for the sake of conversation. Although i cant see either what justifies a public company thats currently in the stock market to separate unsuspected individuals from their own money by selling them a material product and then refuse to deliver(i m talking about the boxed versions of the game if you re not familiar with MO's release and its history). Wheres the justification in delivering lies after lies to the ones that supporting you with their own money. What justifies disrespecting your supporters and underestimate their intelligence by inventing new languages like "advanced Swedish" to cover your previous lies. I could go on and on forever by pointing all the unjustified practices of Henrik Nystrom and that joke called SV but tbh almost everyone that played the game knows about them.

I m sorry m8 but from my point of view is nothing like you re raiding a library after being banned for being "naughty". Its much more like you ve being banned from the library right after you complained that you paid the fee for the library card to soon realize that all the books containing blank pages and you re feeling the obligation to inform everyone how the specific library operates.   

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

The MO ToS that I agreed to actually referred to EvE online.. true story.  You can look it up on these forums.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

The MO ToS that I agreed to actually referred to EvE online.. true story.  You can look it up on these forums.

hahahahahahah- Me too. I had forgotten about that.

CCP even trolled MO with a press release. Those idiots copy/pasted Eves EULA and left the name set as EVE and CCP. It was like that for over a year.

See, thats the kind of shit that made this entire saga so hilarious. And thats only one small part I had forgotten about.

EDIT/ADD- LOL, yup its an oldie but a goodie. Heres a link http://mmofallout.com/break-mortal-onlines-rules-get-banned-in-eve-online/

From the article linked...

The above is a screenshot of the Mortal Online terms of service. You’ll notice that failure to abide by the rules presented in the terms of service (not pictured) will not entitle you to a refund for any fees paid for the use of the Eve Online client, servers, or website, and you will forfeit any unused game time. I sincerely hope Star Vault didn’t pay a lawyer to draft up their terms of service

• OminousDawnOminousDawn Member Posts: 75

Oh, it's that PvP again.

Is anyone surprised?

The game you are looking for requiring no PvE completion and where you can just jump in and start mindlessly shooting at people is that way - >>>>

... it's called an FPS.

Quit ruining the MMORPG genre with your constant "PvE grind" whines.

• anaccount74anaccount74 Member Posts: 5

Banning for negativity is certainly a legitimate forum practice, since it is their forum.

A forum is a place for discussion, if you allow positivity but disallow negativity on an arbitrary basis up the the individual mod, then you have a SERIOUS problem with your community. Censoring negativity is simply a way to drive people away and shit on the game elsewhere, as i am doing right now. Would i be here shit talking the power hungry shitfaces on the mortal mod team if they hadn't abused their power, and wrote up draconian rules? No. This is a problem THEY could solve at any time by extracting their heads from their asses, then realizing that this type of moderation only causes problems within the community, and annoys people.

The only reason to censor negativity on forums is if you're scared it might drive people away. Yet, because of their moderation tactics, how many countless people have been driven away from the game directly? How many friends of those people were never recruited to the game? How many people have people like me driven away with my criticisms on various game forums about the MO mod team.

It's not good strategy, and that's why they need to stop it. Yes it's a "legitimate" forum practice as in it wont get them arrested, but it should and will get everyone pissed off at them for it, then contribute to lower sales. They are shooting themselves in the head.

Ps. I do not endorse ddosing the game's servers, it's generally a waste of time. However, people will always do it, and the reasons they do it are easily preventable by replacing that idiot discord and reforming the gm team properly.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I think it is funny that you posted this on these forums. MMORPG censors their forums more heavy handedly then almost any site I have ever been a part of.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• anaccount74anaccount74 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Dauntis
    I think it is funny that you posted this on these forums. MMORPG censors their forums more heavy handedly then almost any site I have ever been a part of.

ok

well, my post is still here and this board is at least somewhat infamous/frequented at least as far as MO goes. If they do censor things they shouldn't, that sucks, but they arent censoring this message at least which i wouldnt be able to get through on the official forums. It's just a tool to me, i dont feel like forums on a site like this can ever really be properly executed, wheras that's not true for a game's forums, of which i've been a part of many and know what happens when you do and dont delete posts like the one in the OP.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    We decide these things on a case by case basis, but in general, we're not looking to import forum drama over from one place to here. Individual "I got banned and want to complain about it" threads are usually one-sided and not very good for discussion.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.