Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Though about events .

iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

People said they want something news aside from quest hubs or mobs grind.

But it hardly to make something news so i though about "events" , can we make it interest enough to start new play style ?

Imagine , an MMORPG design with events planned for months run.

Everyday people log in , they will see new events here and there.

The design used in single player game where special events happen in certain ?ays , what if we use it in MMORPG ?

Wolf spawn today , pigs next day , there are non in weekend .

NPC today in place A , next week he move to place B.

The question is , do you think that kind of MMORPGs are possible to create ?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yes, just put everything inside instances .. and what is possible for SP game is possible for MMOs.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

While instances are easier ways to design , but i'm not talking about it.

What i want to talk about is the RPG design that deeply involved with time , places and encounter which use classic open world MMORPG design.

A design of games that last for years.

Long run planned MMORPG which designed last years by planned events that active by time.

For example ,

if i planned the game last for 1 years (in game time) which 60s (real time) = 1h (in game time) then it will last for 5 months (146 real time days)

All the events are planned since start of game

and even if player don't involve , the events still start and end as planned results "no player involve" .

If players play roles in the events then it will give "difference results"  and may unlocked some hidden events.

Well , this funny idea pop up when i play TES and read about the elder scrolls .

All events of Skyrim  wrote by "gods" and record on the scrolls

"When misrule takes its place at the eight corners of the world
    When the Brass Tower walks and Time is reshaped
    When the thrice-blessed fail and the Red Tower trembles
    When the Dragonborn Ruler loses his throne, and the White Tower falls
    When the Snow Tower lies sundered, kingless, bleeding
    The World-Eater wakes, and the Wheel turns upon the Last Dragonborn."

It give me a though that can we create MMORPGs with planned live "events" like fate records in mythology ?

I call it "String of fate" design concept lol.

It will make the MMORPGs become most closed to "living world" broad which many in here said they want but don't have much idea how it can be create.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by iixviiiix

While instances are easier ways to design , but i'm not talking about it.

What i want to talk about is the RPG design that deeply involved with time , places and encounter which use classic open world MMORPG design.

That would be very hard, and can be easily spoiled by a few players, and it is very hard to have a well designed experience. Instance is the practical way to go.

• grindingamergrindingamer Member Posts: 65
    Atlantica has events every 3-4 weeks, and we also get event dungeons every now and then to get away from the typical grind and get some cool event mercenaries or mounts. Events are always happening, and its still a very active community.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by grindingamer
    Atlantica has events every 3-4 weeks, and we also get event dungeons every now and then to get away from the typical grind and get some cool event mercenaries or mounts. Events are always happening, and its still a very active community.

Most F2P games have regular events. It's one of the features they are much better at than the subscription games. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KirrikKirrik Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by DMKano

Events are hard to do on mass scale (lots of servers) and it still comes down to one huge problem - Devs are creating spoonfed content. GM Events still live inside a themepark, as it's a dev created "ride" afterall.

IMO a much better solution is to give players the tools to create in game stuff including events (if they so choose) - devs need to focus on providing excellent tools - so that players can create the in-game experiences they want.

While it might be true that it is hard to do and maintan events on that big of a scale, I'd rather let someone professional design scripted or dynamic events so I get some quality out of it rather than having random Joe creating a crap event.

It's like letting a nurse repair your broken car instead of a mechanic that is ment to do it. If you put the tools in to the hands of the players. Sure we would probably get some nicely designed events. But almost all of them would be badly designed.

-Kirrik