Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remember when....

Comments

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

No, I suggested doing a traceroute to TESO's datacenter. No north poles, no south poles, no excuses.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

Tell me @Scott, did you manage to defeat Liadri? Or have you ever soloed Giganticus Lupicus? If not then you really haven't mastered Gw2's combat to be competent enough to comment on it. What you have is an opinion, not a fact.

Also its a well known fact that the UK is very well connected to US. I would be surprised if you lagged. The rest of us have to route and bounce the connection left and right. If you don't believe me, we can make a traceroute and see who has more hops to TESO's datacenter? :) I'm having fiber optics to my home but damn those hops are nasty. 

Bold red part. This is MMO, not solo game. That boss is mean to be done by group of players. Yet, people talking about soloing in group content. That's very dumb. Either boss is not too hard or people are dumb to even kill it in group. Mastering combat? Sure, was hard to master my thief to solo this "hard boss" with 5 fingers, but np. Here comes my friend warrior in full zerk gear killing it in less than 30 seconds. Class design failed. Try hard to defend failed idiot-friendly MMORPG. It's not even funny anymore.

Originally posted by Arthasm

Tell me @Scott, did you manage to defeat Liadri? Or have you ever soloed Giganticus Lupicus? If not then you really haven't mastered Gw2's combat to be competent enough to comment on it. What you have is an opinion, not a fact.

Also its a well known fact that the UK is very well connected to US. I would be surprised if you lagged. The rest of us have to route and bounce the connection left and right. If you don't believe me, we can make a traceroute and see who has more hops to TESO's datacenter? :) I'm having fiber optics to my home but damn those hops are nasty. 

Bold red part. This is MMO, not solo game. That boss is mean to be done by group of players. Yet, people talking about soloing in group content. That's very dumb. Either boss is not too hard or people are dumb to even kill it in group. Mastering combat? Sure, was hard to master my thief to solo this "hard boss" with 5 fingers, but np. Here comes my friend warrior in full zerk gear killing it in less than 30 seconds. Class design failed. Try hard to defend failed idiot-friendly MMORPG. It's not even funny anymore.

Do show me how a single zerk warrior kills lupi within 30 seconds or get lost troll. Did you get your ass kicked in PvP by a warrior? That would explain why you seem so butthurt, otherwise i have no clue. Also if a warrior gets you while you are on thief, then you are worse than those so called idiots you refer to. And what does that makes you hm? 

And to hell with "This is MMO, not solo game" bullshit. If I can do group content solo, then so be it. Who are you to say otherwise? I do the time investment. I finish stuff 3-5 times slower than a full group but it doesn't matter. The fact is, I complete this content because I'm good. I am not crying about combat limitations and shit like that, I use it all as an advantage. You on the other hand, you seem like those healer-type guys in MMOs that enjoy hiding behind the tank and just press heal,heal,heal. Is this really what's fun for you? 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Ballopan15, its time to call you out.

You said one thing you really disliked about TESO was the problems grouping, that was one of your three main gripes. But it is oblivious now that you are an ardent soloist. Why was the grouping such an issue for a true solo like you? You are desperate to find anything to bash TESO with, that's why.

Originally posted by Scot

Ballopan15, its time to call you out.

You said one thing you really disliked about TESO was the problems grouping, that was one of your three main gripes. But it is oblivious now that you are an ardent soloist. Why was the grouping such an issue for a true solo like you? You are desperate to find anything to bash TESO with, that's why.

Come now. Soloing Lupi is not my daily job. And I only solo shit when I'm bored, in the other times I'm in a group 90% of the time. Be it open world or dungeon or a guild mission. And Liadri IS solo content. Or well, was. It's gone now alongside few ships from the bazaar of four winds xD 

I mainly play with my girlfriend so the 2 of us are always in a group. Due to our work hours sometimes I'm ahead of things, sometimes she's ahead of things. That made grouping in TESO impossible for us thus they don't get to have my subscription money, unlike Gw2/TERA which we actively play right now and considering resubbing to WildStar. 

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

Can someone explain to me what this magical "gamer's eye" is that can apparently see more than the human maximum of 60fps?

PS: GW2 is terribad. This is not to say that TESO is any better, but at this point, you two seem like two toddlers fighting over which of your diapers smell less. They both stink. Any game that penalizes players for not playing for awhile (I'm looking at you "Living Story") is trash. Had they pulled that crap on a sub game, it would be a wasteland.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Remember when.....

The fans were claiming that ESO will have 10 million subs by end of the year?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Remember when.....

Yep, they did and now after only 3 months ESO is on the 40th place in Raptr.

If you release a game with an unknown IP and a small budget its fine to drop in numbers or retention or played hours or whatever else. But for an ES IP and a budget like this its clearly a disaster.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by BeansnBread
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by BeansnBread
    Originally posted by bcbully
    What shop?

The one where you can purchase a horse and an account upgrade. They officially call it the Elder Scrolls Online Store.

https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store

Yes, I remember all the hand-wringing regarding the cash shop.  Many, many people got a lot of mileage beating the game up over a cash shop no one knew anything about.

Now take a look at it.  Not exactly the apocalypse we were promised.

The apocalypse likely came in the form of many people simply choosing not to purchase because of the shop and the tactics used to try and sell pre-orders. Unfortunately, we'll never be able to quantify how apocalyptic their decision was. The game at release did meh at best and perhaps the poor word of mouth helped quell the tide of people that would typically purchase The Next New MMO.

Unfortunately, much of the "word of mouth" regarding the cash shop was ignorant fear-mongering.  You know the type - people with an axe to grind and absolutely no idea what was going to be in the cash shop spreading their version of the truth.  A version based on ignorance, to be sure, but honesty has never been a requirement on the intarwebz.

No, they simply wanted to make the game look as bad as possible, so they swore up and down that they'd be selling anything and everything on the cash shop.  Turns out, they were wrong, and they were dishonest.

It's always funny when people say "oh, those who wanted to bash the game acted like they knew what would be in the cash shop..." - as though they knew themselves.

No one knew what ZM's plans are for the cash shop. Frankly, no one still does. So to go around on a soap-box, mocking and shaking a finger at those who assert what they fear ZM will do with the cash shop, is no different than you acting like you know it yourself. It's a pretty ironic display. Neither side knew what ZM's plans ultimately were, nor what what they ultimately are.

Perhaps just settle for saying "So far, the fears have been overblown, but who knows.. That could change down the line". And with a store already in place, and all that groundwork already done, it's a more reasonable guess that they would expand the cash shop, than not. For all we know, they had plans to add more to it, but the backlash and negative publicity it was getting (and it was, don't kid yourself), made them think twice about it. We don't know that, but it is a possibility.

Unless someone works for ZM, has been at those meetings and knows what the plans are, no one has the ability to say what will or won't happen.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Surprised this is still going on, but probably got off topic.

irony is had this game released as a buy to play title with an established cash shop I suspect they would have sold a lot more copies and more than likely made more money than they have off the hand ful of subs who are sticking around.

But its that 3 month pre paid time now. The first to go was the 30 day free subs for purchase. Now the guys who bought 90 days are coming due. Next will be the guys who pre bught 6 months worth. What would really be interesting would be knowing how many 90 days guys played the full 90 days and if they plan on resubbing. Same question witht he 180 day guys, how many are playing and how many will resub.

But the original question was answered. Seems like they at least tried to give te game a shot without a full blown cash shop. So that tells me the initial sales of some of this stuff were good. But the generic box sales I suspect were bad. meaning, what most figured was going to happen happened, people who liked the game and were going to buy it regardless bought it and they paid for the top version. Guys who werent going to buy it didnt. And peopel on the fence were more than likely split meaning some bought and some didnt. But from the lack of horn blowing I suspect fewer ended up buying than didnt buy. Which goes to my original contention that had it been a buy to play game it would have sold more cpies. we can debate on the profit factor but generally speaking games with micro transactions do make more money than subscription games, especially when the game is thought to be subscription quality in the first place.

Originally posted by Ganksinatra

Can someone explain to me what this magical "gamer's eye" is that can apparently see more than the human maximum of 60fps?

We have evolved and the rest of humanity has not. :D

Originally posted by Ganksinatra

If you are a gamer and you have a decent 120Hz monitor, are you implying that you can't see the fps drop between 60 and 120 fps and below 60? If that is so I strongly suggest you to check with an ophthalmologist :)

Hell even games requiring reflexes do not work well at all below 60 fps. Everyone playing below 60 is torturing themselves. At 120 you have better responsiveness. 

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Remember when.....

Which "fans"? I remember one person making a topic about Skyrim having 10mil fans but does not expect ESO to gain that much? that...fan?

Of course you more then welcome to present a link saying fans claiming 10 million subs?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Good lord either play the game or don't. Personally, the game is much more enjoyable now that all the whiners and angsty teens have left to go harass WildStar and Carbine. And now WildStar's user scores are in freefall across the board. ArcheAge next for the whining locust swarm? Who knows. They move so fast and viciously. Never trust a locust.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Good lord either play the game or don't. Personally, the game is much more enjoyable now that all the whiners and angsty teens have left to go harass WildStar and Carbine. And now WildStar's user scores are in freefall across the board. ArcheAge next for the whining locust swarm? Who knows. They move so fast and viciously. Never trust a locust.

Yeah, I suppose playing alone is enjoyable xD *troll* 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Remember when -

One Dragon Knight with the vampire ultimate Bat Swarm could solo 30 people? image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Content locusts are the bane of the MMO genre, they have already moved on to complain about Wildstar. Unfortunately some of those who ate TESO and left still come back to give us their 'wisdom'. I guess they are the ones who could not afford to buy WS, so they still maligner here.

Content locusts are the bane of the MMO genre, they have already moved on to complain about Wildstar. Unfortunately some of those who ate TESO and left still come back to give us their 'wisdom'. I guess they are the ones who could not afford to buy WS, so they still maligner here.

I don't see many complaints about WildStar. The game is one month in. TESO was an apocalypse in its first month. Every 2nd post in this forum was rants about TESO. Idk who you are blaming but people still generally complain out of TESO, not WildStar, aaand you have the occasional trolls that played Gw2 for a week and think the game didn't change 1 bit for almost 2 years :) 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I don't see many complaints about WildStar. The game is one month in. TESO was an apocalypse in its first month. Every 2nd post in this forum was rants about TESO. Idk who you are blaming but people still generally complain out of TESO, not WildStar, aaand you have the occasional trolls that played Gw2 for a week and think the game didn't change 1 bit for almost 2 years :) 

People have been bitching about ESO from the moment it was announced. It generated a lot of passion from back-seat driving "true fans" from day one. Anyone who has followed this game knows that many post-release rants were just more of the same except now with specific flaws to point to and exaggerate.

Wildstar is a brand new IP heavy with goofyness with nothing to live-up to. It's judged on it's game play with no preconceptions or bias except from the handful of "professional" forum critics whose hobby it is to hate everything. ESO could never be judged just on its game play - for better or worse, it has all the TES baggage for context. There is hardly a single thread in this forum, regardless of its original topic, without some posts talking about how ESO is not a "True TES" game. You've got to factor that in whenever you try to compare the mood of this forum vs. W*.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by udon

The play any race you want in any faction thing was a one time deal for pre-orders.  You can still upgrade to the Imperial edition but if you didn't pre-order you are SOL on the race lock thing.  

Really makes it look less like a "pay wall" and more like a pre-order bonus doesn't it?

That is a huge bonus (usually you get some noob gear or maybe a cool skin) and a bit too much for my taste, but sure.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'm just glad there is a vast variety of games we can all play. Enough different titles for all of us to love and hate.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Iselin

People have been bitching about ESO from the moment it was announced. It generated a lot of passion from back-seat driving "true fans" from day one. Anyone who has followed this game knows that many post-release rants were just more of the same except now with specific flaws to point to and exaggerate.

Wildstar is a brand new IP heavy with goofyness with nothing to live-up to. It's judged on it's game play with no preconceptions or bias except from the handful of "professional" forum critics whose hobby it is to hate everything. ESO could never be judged just on its game play - for better or worse, it has all the TES baggage for context. There is hardly a single thread in this forum, regardless of its original topic, without some posts talking about how ESO is not a "True TES" game. You've got to factor that in whenever you try to compare the mood of this forum vs. W*.

So true, Wildstar has nothing to live up to, Elder Scrolls has a reputation. That is going to cause a lot of posting grief. I notice that WS now has 7 locked threads in its forum, the idea that everything is rosy on the WS forum is a bit much. :)

Not having a go at WS, we have reached a stage were every MMO is going to get panned by those who expect gameplay like a solo game, and if you have to pay for it and it does not live up to the standards of a solo game may the divines protect you from the griefers.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

So true, Wildstar has nothing to live up to, Elder Scrolls has a reputation. That is going to cause a lot of posting grief. I notice that WS now has 7 locked threads in its forum, the idea that everything is rosy on the WS forum is a bit much. :)

Not having a go at WS, we have reached a stage were every MMO is going to get panned by those who expect gameplay like a solo game, and if you have to pay for it and it does not live up to the standards of a solo game may the divines protect you from the griefers.

Did you  bother to check what those locked threads were. 3 of them were requests for keys which have their own thread so were locked and 3 were really obvious trolling threads. With titles like  

Yayyyy another money soaker game

I think the game died because of the price

Who is the biggest FFB ?

The last was locked on the 22nd.

The other thread started by ImperatorBellus did not receive a single response because he was trying to get people to stop playing Wildstar. That is how pathetic Wildstar trolls are with this line : "For these reasons, I highly suggest anyone playing this game should quit, try something different like st:online or planetside 2 and wait for the far superior MMO to be released, Everquest Next."

Threads like this are no indication of trouble in Wildstar just very bored , sad , misguided individuals with very little else in their life but to spend their time bashing a game. It does not however indicate a general dislike or problem with Wildstar. By all means discuss ESO but please try not to drag Wildstar down into the mud too.

Originally posted by kitarad

Did you  bother to check what those locked threads were. 3 of them were requests for keys which have their own thread so were locked and 3 were really obvious trolling threads. With titles like  

Yayyyy another money soaker game

I think the game died because of the price

Who is the biggest FFB ?

The last was locked on the 22nd.

The other thread started by ImperatorBellus did not receive a single response because he was trying to get people to stop playing Wildstar. That is how pathetic Wildstar trolls are with this line : "For these reasons, I highly suggest anyone playing this game should quit, try something different like st:online or planetside 2 and wait for the far superior MMO to be released, Everquest Next."

Threads like this are no indication of trouble in Wildstar just very bored , sad , misguided individuals with very little else in their life but to spend their time bashing a game. It does not however indicate a general dislike or problem with Wildstar. By all means discuss ESO but please try not to drag Wildstar down into the mud too.

We have had more trolling threads on here than I have found skyshards in game, we even had the same (?) money soaker thread.

Originally posted by Iselin

Well I think it's not that simple. You can't make excuses on behalf of previous games. Infact, having super successful previous games like Morrowind or Skyrim is very helpful. Infact its so helpful that if you drop a turd and name it Elder Scrolls people will still buy it. Why? Because of the brand name. All they had to do was to live up to *some* of the expectation and they would've had a WoW killer, but no. Instead we get handful of whiteknights telling me shit like that. 

Why was WoW successful? 

a) It released in the right time, I agree.

b) It was a freaking Warcraft IP at the time when Warcraft was all the freaking rage. That's how you get initial sales. Then those initial sales get their friends and relatives into. Few years later, you are burried in a pile of money. 

That's how wrong you two are.

All the people wanted was a game to play with a friend. Not this phasing hell ZOS dropped on us. And the veteran grind. Oh my freaking god when was teh last time you grinded for something in previous TES game?

The distance between TESO and previous TES titles is like the distance of Earth to the Sun. And I'll judge it as a TES IP, because it is, infact, a TES IP. A TES game that I'll hope to forget and hope of having a real Skyrim successor sometime soon. I really hope this MMO doesn't ruin the franchise. It was the best RPG game to date.

Another example of previous game saving the latter game. 

Latest SimCity: Even though it was DRM-crippled, buggy mess people still lined up to buy it. 

Battlefield 4: They sold a game that wasn't even working properly, people still bought it.

Mass Effect 3: I personally loved it but the masses hated it because of the end, it was a well-known fact but people still bought it. 

SWTOR: You know that one.

And I'm sure there are countless of other examples. But among them, there are some very, very successful stories.

Like GTA V for example. Nobody even mentioned previous games. That's how good it was.

Saying what @Iselin said is nothing but an excuse on the behalf of ZOS. An excuse that they should make and rewrite the game just like SquareEnix did