Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On the fence. Which way to jump?

VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I have been looking at this game off and on. First let me say I absolutely love low fantasy settings and so when I stumbled on this game a while ago my interest was definitely piqued.

I am not much of a pvper. I don't mind it when it makes sense (defending territory etc.), but I hate open world ganking and deathmatching that stops you from exploring, harvesting or doing some pve.

How alpha is the game at the moment? Is it playable and enjoyable in some ways?

I see it's $10 to jump in so seriously thinking about it, but wanted a nudge in the right direction!

Comments

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

It still very early, pre Alpha so if you do drop the £10 dont expect a good game just yet. You can see what it will become though.

For instance the full combat system is not even in yet.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    If you're asking a thousand strangers on whether or not you should spend $10 on something then ...
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317

The problem with early access is that whether or not the game will be good at release, you generally wind up playing a shit version of it.  

I would rather just wait for release. 

• JogobogosJogobogos Member UncommonPosts: 172
    At this moment we are heavy focusing on a bug fixing and optimization as we really want to take down NDA as soon as possible. I hope than new gameplay videos will come over and you will have no more doubts! ;)
  • thormondthormond Member UncommonPosts: 7

Thing is in pre-alpha stage so getting early access and seeing how everything is progressing from 'the kitchen' is a different kind of experience which requires different kind of mindset.

If you don't expect final product then I guess you should be fine

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Jogobogos
    At this moment we are heavy focusing on a bug fixing and optimization as we really want to take down NDA as soon as possible. I hope than new gameplay videos will come over and you will have no more doubts! ;)

Overcame my doubts and jumped in the other day Jog (you may have seen me in the PVP event!).

I had fairly low expectations (this is an indie pre-alpha after all), but can say my expectations were massively exceeded. Had great fun, met some nice people and can't wait to get back in an explore some more. Keep up the good work guys!

• badbingo10badbingo10 Member Posts: 46

I too love the route this game is taking, and am impressed with what i've seen so far. But i'll be waiting for NDA to lift then i can see some videos before i put any money forward. Im no game tester, and previous games have taught me testers, not players belong in these early stages. I require something at least half playable before i jump in :D

NDA 's are a double edged sword. Keeping buggy/lagfest videos away from public eye, but creating bitter less worldly players who bought in expecting a complete game.

Looking forward to seeing what this is like, and if its up to a level i'd be comfortable with!

• czaq123czaq123 Member CommonPosts: 5
    I have donated this game with the tought behind the head that it can be buggy. It's still pre-alpha, its not even beta. There is no other way to release such a game by independent studio without donations, testing and suggestions of players.
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

I purchased (donated) the game with the idea that I'd like to try out the beta version when it's released. Alpha isn't bad, but with may of the bugs and "unintentional features" most games have, it's just not something I can see spending time with.

Call me old. I consider my time well spent doing things I can show something for. Even with video games, I prefer something that will be around in a few months that my progress would be saved and could make a difference in, rather than starting over every once in a while. Alpha's just aren't my thing in that regard; by release everything you saw in Alpha will most likely change so you can't even argue that you were "practicing". I'd rather not burn myself out playing a year+ Alpha test and miss out of the full release.

It's a good game though. Combat, even though buggy and laggy, was challenging enough to keep my interested for a while.