Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I agree with the hate this game gets.

HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,655
Heres what happened to me... I just got my first cruiser. A Rupture and just got it set up to go mob hunting. In less than an hour i was killed by another player in so called safe space. I asked him why and he said welcome to eve you are not safe anywhere i will hunt you down unless you pay me not to.  I just remember sitting at the pc in shock about this. So i said no way i was going to pay him. I posted about it on the eve boards and was told by many the same thing he said to me. This is how the game works. Deal with it or quit. So no matter what you pro eve players are posting here, you will never make me think any different of you or this game. The eve community are the worse of any mmo on the market. Why any sane person would pay 15 dollars a month for this is beyond me. This person wanted me to pay him to not keep killing me in a game. And this is fun how? Maybe for him but not the victim.  And anyone saying this is like real life has got to be smoking something. This has never happened to me in real life.
«1

Comments

  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Hariken
     This has never happened to me in real life.

    LOL That's why it's called "game".

    Anyway, this is getting a little absurd already, but would you mind posting the kill? I'm curious about how another player managed to kill you in HighSec while flying a cruiser (and not being at war, I take it?)

    "EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 40,909
    He could not have killed you unless you did something wrong, unless he chose to suicide gank you which would have been unprofitable and not worth the sec loss.

    Never the less, you are not the first to say this, so now I'm intrigued, am going to start a totally new trial and see what happens.

    BTW, what race did you start with, I'd like to do the same so I am in the same area of space.

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

    You joined a game notorious for PvP and are "sat at your PC in a state of shock" when PvP happens.

    Do you also fall into a state of shock when you get fish with your fish & chips?

    Pull the other one.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,721

    Op, I think the idea is to join a corp and your guildmates would offer you help and protection.

    I'm not saying there aren't assholes, maybe many, but with games like this the "game play" putting players in the same world and giving them the tools to deal with whatever comes their way. Or, fail because failure is an option.

    What you described was the same thing that happened in Lineage 2 at launch. some players would stand at bridges and demand that crossing players paid a toll.

    Some guilds would hold leveling areas hostage so that only their guild mates could use them (tI remember this happening in cruma tower).

    games like this are difficult for some because they don't actually understand the game. Not saying you should like it but part of enjoying yourself is to understand what type of game you are playing and just getting on board with it.

    Believe me, shifting your paradigm in an open pvp game helps immensely. You get killed, you hit respawn button and don't look back.

     

    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    He could not have killed you unless you did something wrong, unless he chose to suicide gank you which would have been unprofitable and not worth the sec loss.

    Never the less, you are not the first to say this, so now I'm intrigued, am going to start a totally new trial and see what happens.

    BTW, what race did you start with, I'd like to do the same so I am in the same area of space.

    exactly this-  whatever happened to you, someone was using the fact the you don't understand the game well to make you think they could do something to you that they couldn't.  If you want to give it another shot PM me and I'll help you out, I'm curious to see what exactly happened also.  My guess is suicide gank.

  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,399
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Heres what happened to me... I just got my first cruiser. A Rupture and just got it set up to go mob hunting. In less than an hour i was killed by another player in so called safe space. I asked him why and he said welcome to eve you are not safe anywhere i will hunt you down unless you pay me not to.  I just remember sitting at the pc in shock about this. So i said no way i was going to pay him. I posted about it on the eve boards and was told by many the same thing he said to me. This is how the game works. Deal with it or quit. So no matter what you pro eve players are posting here, you will never make me think any different of you or this game. The eve community are the worse of any mmo on the market. Why any sane person would pay 15 dollars a month for this is beyond me. This person wanted me to pay him to not keep killing me in a game. And this is fun how? Maybe for him but not the victim.  And anyone saying this is like real life has got to be smoking something. This has never happened to me in real life.

    Dear n00b. Let him kill you. It is more expensive for him than it is for you. He will stop once he realise you are not stupid and wont pay him.

    Enjoy EVE.

  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

    you playing this game wrong,

    you must to know Eve is  not game about space ship it is MMORPG sandbox game in sci fi setting about players interactions(friendly /hostile) 

    you must to make in game friendships  !

  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

    So you didn't like the answer you got on official Eve forums so you're come here to vent?

    You were killed in a PvP game.  This should not be a great shock.  Be glad you only lost a Rupture.

    “There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904


    Originally posted by Hariken
    Heres what happened to me... I just got my first cruiser. A Rupture and just got it set up to go mob hunting. In less than an hour i was killed by another player in so called safe space. I asked him why and he said welcome to eve you are not safe anywhere i will hunt you down unless you pay me not to.  I just remember sitting at the pc in shock about this. So i said no way i was going to pay him. I posted about it on the eve boards and was told by many the same thing he said to me. This is how the game works. Deal with it or quit. So no matter what you pro eve players are posting here, you will never make me think any different of you or this game. The eve community are the worse of any mmo on the market. Why any sane person would pay 15 dollars a month for this is beyond me. This person wanted me to pay him to not keep killing me in a game. And this is fun how? Maybe for him but not the victim.  And anyone saying this is like real life has got to be smoking something. This has never happened to me in real life.

    buy 1 plex for $20 and put a billion isk bounty on his head.

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    better pay  personal , some bounty hunter or merc corp for daylies multi fu*king him
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

    Rule 1 of EvE

     

    Never fly what you can´t afford to loose.

     

    Beyond that i have to say i think people over react A LOT to deaths in EvE. Yes the game is about as forgiving as the tax office but it is still a game. Also an hour of research would have told you to not take that new shiny thing out and wave it about without proper backup.

     

    Always fly cheap unless you have friends.

    This have been a good conversation

  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

    Okay, this is really getting out of hand and the moderators should start removing these posts.

    Random person who obviously has no clue about what EVE is gets ganked and intimidated. Then comes here and cries like a spoiled child characterizing EVE's community as a whole.

    @OP: i payed EVE for 6 months. Had many a times experiences like the one you describe. Instead of going to the forums bitching i tried to comprehend what happened each time and improve myself. When i left it was because of me not having the time needed to commit in order to progress the way i wanted. 

    Also, the community in EVE was among the most helpful ones i ever came across in any mmo's i played. 

  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

    I think it is ok , they  show how is EVE different ,awesome & unique MMO game , and  in mmo genre  is nothing similar on horizon ,  yet

    This is Eve ;

    https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=350449&find=unread

  • TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 296
    Originally posted by Hariken
    The eve community are the worse of any mmo on the market. Why any sane person would pay 15 dollars a month for this is beyond me. This person wanted me to pay him to not keep killing me in a game. And this is fun how? Maybe for him but not the victim.  And anyone saying this is like real life has got to be smoking something. This has never happened to me in real life.

     

    This isnt an issue of community. This is how the game is played. 

    Example: Football.

    You say sure, ill play football. Should be fun. You get into the game and some guy tackles you down, hard. You get up and cry and say that the guy who hit you is mean, and a bully. Then you generalize all the players this way, when all they are doing is playing the game by its rules. 

    That doesnt make that person an asshole. That makes you look like a idiot for playing football and not understanding why he tackled you.

    ---------------

    Like seriously, this can be described by so many examples. If you come back here and respond saying that eve isnt football, then your not getting the message, and if thats the case, no one will be able to help you understand, cause your not willing to understand.

  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by Tsuru
    Originally posted by Hariken
    The eve community are the worse of any mmo on the market. Why any sane person would pay 15 dollars a month for this is beyond me. This person wanted me to pay him to not keep killing me in a game. And this is fun how? Maybe for him but not the victim.  And anyone saying this is like real life has got to be smoking something. This has never happened to me in real life.

     

    This isnt an issue of community. This is how the game is played. 

    Example: Football.

    You say sure, ill play football. Should be fun. You get into the game and some guy tackles you down, hard. You get up and cry and say that the guy who hit you is mean, and a bully. Then you generalize all the players this way, when all they are doing is playing the game by its rules. 

    That doesnt make that person an asshole. That makes you look like a idiot for playing football and not understanding why he tackled you.

    ---------------

    Like seriously, this can be described by so many examples. If you come back here and respond saying that eve isnt football, then your not getting the message, and if thats the case, no one will be able to help you understand, cause your not willing to understand.

    While there are a lot of things to defend about EVE, and while I personally enjoy the nefariousness and ingenuity of the EVE community, this is a bit of a stretch.  They are hands down the most vile, ruthless, sometimes racist, always derogatory, self-serving and untrustworthy community in any game by a far far amount.  The thing to enjoy about them is how clever they can be, their scheming, and the silliness of their plots.  The gamers that stick with EVE are the very definition of hardcore, and the best among them successfully manipulate not only the rest of the community but the entire development of the game.

     

    Though I certainly agree with you that the nature of the game attracts that type of personality.  I believe that originally it was intended to cater to more than just that subset, but that part of the games population was both far more clever and far more demanding than the types of gamers that would stay in hisec.

  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

    Did you manage to flag yourself? You can solo a guy in a rupture before concord comes but generally you're going to be giving up far more isk than you stand to gain. 

    The problem here is you, really. If you know what you're doing, pvp is consensual in EVE. If you know what you're doing, you don't lose ships in highsec. You don't know what you're doing. You can give up, which you seem to be heading towards, or you can learn the game and these issues fall away.

  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by sketocafe

    Did you manage to flag yourself? You can solo a guy in a rupture before concord comes but generally you're going to be giving up far more isk than you stand to gain. 

    The problem here is you, really. If you know what you're doing, pvp is consensual in EVE. If you know what you're doing, you don't lose ships in highsec. You don't know what you're doing. You can give up, which you seem to be heading towards, or you can learn the game and these issues fall away.

    From the story I thought maybe he had been suicide ganked after the other player realized how new he was.  Being so new to the game, his ship probably did not have a lot of EHP and was easy to pop cheaply.

  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Baitness
    Originally posted by sketocafe

    Did you manage to flag yourself? You can solo a guy in a rupture before concord comes but generally you're going to be giving up far more isk than you stand to gain. 

    The problem here is you, really. If you know what you're doing, pvp is consensual in EVE. If you know what you're doing, you don't lose ships in highsec. You don't know what you're doing. You can give up, which you seem to be heading towards, or you can learn the game and these issues fall away.

    From the story I thought maybe he had been suicide ganked after the other player realized how new he was.  Being so new to the game, his ship probably did not have a lot of EHP and was easy to pop cheaply.

    Still waiting for the OP to post the killmail, but I have the feeling that's not going to happen...

    "EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by Krematory
    Originally posted by Baitness
    Originally posted by sketocafe

    Did you manage to flag yourself? You can solo a guy in a rupture before concord comes but generally you're going to be giving up far more isk than you stand to gain. 

    The problem here is you, really. If you know what you're doing, pvp is consensual in EVE. If you know what you're doing, you don't lose ships in highsec. You don't know what you're doing. You can give up, which you seem to be heading towards, or you can learn the game and these issues fall away.

    From the story I thought maybe he had been suicide ganked after the other player realized how new he was.  Being so new to the game, his ship probably did not have a lot of EHP and was easy to pop cheaply.

    Still waiting for the OP to post the killmail, but I have the feeling that's not going to happen...

    Could definitely easily be a fake story, but I was friends with players who have done similar things to newbies.

     

    Also, maybe he didn't understand the difference between low and hisec.  When you try to jump in it does pop up a big warning by default, though.

  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,998
    Originally posted by Sovrath

    Op, I think the idea is to join a corp and your guildmates would offer you help and protection.

    I'm not saying there aren't assholes, maybe many, but with games like this the "game play" putting players in the same world and giving them the tools to deal with whatever comes their way. Or, fail because failure is an option.

    What you described was the same thing that happened in Lineage 2 at launch. some players would stand at bridges and demand that crossing players paid a toll.

    Some guilds would hold leveling areas hostage so that only their guild mates could use them (tI remember this happening in cruma tower).

    games like this are difficult for some because they don't actually understand the game. Not saying you should like it but part of enjoying yourself is to understand what type of game you are playing and just getting on board with it.

    Believe me, shifting your paradigm in an open pvp game helps immensely. You get killed, you hit respawn button and don't look back.

     

    L2 developed some nice counters.  If you didn't fight back the player would go red and was fair game for anyone, that would be great in Eve.  You also could buy instant teleports. Which made it very difficult to PK someone if they monitored the area.  Solo play was/is a lot easier then in Eve.

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    In case you're not trolling, I'll offer some advice. Put the entire CODE. alliance on  your contact list at terrible standing. If you see red in local, dock. Don't take the safety off unless you are completely sure how flagging and aggression works. If you know that you can shoot at someone, understand that if you do, he can shoot back. Also understand that EVE is a game where anything goes, for the most part, so accept that you will be ganked, and things that piss you off will happen. The game has the reputation it does for a reason. 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,655
    This happened to me awhile back in 2010. I haven't been back in the game since. This was just a post about what happened to me and why i quit. It wasn't even the first ship i lost. I lost a frig when i was hunting and it was my fault i died. I got killed by concord because as a newbie out hunting another player targeted me which came up on my hud along with mobs i was hunting and i fired on him not knowing he was a player. The Rupture i lost in a 05 or 06 space i can't remember which. I knew Eve was a pvp game i just probably didn't know how ruthless the players were. I shouldn't have said all the players are bad and i'm sorry for that. Thinking back on how it was my first cruiser and how quick i lost it has always been a sore spot for me.
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    This happened to you four years ago?  And just posting about it now.  Strange.  I mean, obviously post whatever you feel like.  That's just a long time to stew on it.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,655
    Originally posted by bliss14
    This happened to you four years ago?  And just posting about it now.  Strange.  I mean, obviously post whatever you feel like.  That's just a long time to stew on it.

    The other post about whats going on in this game reminded me of it.

  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    HAHA each time I read another post filled with tears I am happier inside.   Your Q__Q (tears) is food for me.  AND I AM HUNGRY

    image


    Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Reply
    Add Multi-Quote

This discussion has been closed.