Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which game to pickup out of these 3?

MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79

All these games are currently on sale as well

But i'm stuck between grabbing TSW, GW2, or WoW

Which would you recommend and why?

In WoW i have experience at all levels and each expansion.

GW2 i know some stuff but barely.

Totally in the dark about TSW ,but heard its got a great story to it. 

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Malinkadink

What matters most to you?  Of those three TSW would be my choice but that's me.  It takes a bit to get into but once you get past the desert the ability wheel really starts to open up.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

WoW for the gear grind wheel

GW2 for the achievements and dailies

TSW for the story

Take your pick.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The Secret World - It has a great world, going for a theme almost never explored in a game. Its skill system is quite interesting and allows for some diversity in characters and that feeling of customization. It can drag at times, and if you aren't into story and puzzles/mystery you might loose on some of the charm. Its combat system I feel is meh but considering what its going for I think its decent enough.

Guildwars 2 - NO. Outside a good aesthetic this game just is a drag. While some might be good with its more 'casual' (ish) kind of gearing, it is very repetative very quickly. Combat in this game is similiar to TSW, without charm and feeling much more slippy then its 'modern' competitor. Combat is what drove a stake in the game to me, being pretty much its 'big draw' and flopping. I feel this game stands as average as best and its just not that great at all. Sorry its not, no matter how you try and pitch 'dynamic events' its just static events spread out in predictable manors (which will be zerged in a circle in high level areas) or dreaded when coming to heart quests which are meant to be a more 'diverse' form of questing that manages to become a LOT more tedius instead. Its just a 'meh' game but without any flavor like Secret World has.

World of Warcraft - Stuck as an empty shell of its former glory. The game it just feels so trivialized. Everything is so dumbed down and just gutted it just feels empty. A tried to play for 1 month in MoP, and I had absolutely 0 issue quiting before the month was even over. You get no sense of achievement anymore, seeing that 'end game raid' through LFR and it just destroys any desire to even bother to go for higher difficulties just to see something that has had all its mystery and wonder sucked out of it already. It was once a great game but in its current state, its just a sad time sink that neglects the hardcore, while also pushing away casuals draining it of interesting content to do to keep people playing.

MY Pick:  The Secret World by a landslide, though its competition isn't that great otherwise It wouldn't be such a great victory. The desire to push story in an environment we dont often see just helps make up for the many flaws the game has in my eyes to warrent it being worth some time.

• MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by Purutzil

The Secret World - It has a great world, going for a theme almost never explored in a game. Its skill system is quite interesting and allows for some diversity in characters and that feeling of customization. It can drag at times, and if you aren't into story and puzzles/mystery you might loose on some of the charm. Its combat system I feel is meh but considering what its going for I think its decent enough.

Guildwars 2 - NO. Outside a good aesthetic this game just is a drag. While some might be good with its more 'casual' (ish) kind of gearing, it is very repetative very quickly. Combat in this game is similiar to TSW, without charm and feeling much more slippy then its 'modern' competitor. Combat is what drove a stake in the game to me, being pretty much its 'big draw' and flopping. I feel this game stands as average as best and its just not that great at all. Sorry its not, no matter how you try and pitch 'dynamic events' its just static events spread out in predictable manors (which will be zerged in a circle in high level areas) or dreaded when coming to heart quests which are meant to be a more 'diverse' form of questing that manages to become a LOT more tedius instead. Its just a 'meh' game but without any flavor like Secret World has.

World of Warcraft - Stuck as an empty shell of its former glory. The game it just feels so trivialized. Everything is so dumbed down and just gutted it just feels empty. A tried to play for 1 month in MoP, and I had absolutely 0 issue quiting before the month was even over. You get no sense of achievement anymore, seeing that 'end game raid' through LFR and it just destroys any desire to even bother to go for higher difficulties just to see something that has had all its mystery and wonder sucked out of it already. It was once a great game but in its current state, its just a sad time sink that neglects the hardcore, while also pushing away casuals draining it of interesting content to do to keep people playing.

MY Pick:  The Secret World by a landslide, though its competition isn't that great otherwise It wouldn't be such a great victory. The desire to push story in an environment we dont often see just helps make up for the many flaws the game has in my eyes to warrent it being worth some time.

Hmm i agree with WoW being trivilized, and being that i've had extensive experience in the game i'd probably be better of just staying away, because i tend to find myself in the situation of hitting level cap, and getting fully pvp geared in under a month and getting sick of it, probably a mix of burning out and just not feeling like i accomplished anything.

TSW is intriguing for sure, i like story, but i'm not sure if i'd actually pay attention because with an MMO concerned it usually just turns into skipping as much text as possible and doing the "quest", unless of course you don't really need to read walls of text to follow the story.

I also agree about GW2's aesthetics and looking pretty. I found the combat fun, and surely better than WoW's archaic tab target approach. However, whats troubling is how many people say after hitting cap in just a couple weeks you're left with very little to do except pvp and getting xmog gear. 

• KarazulKarazul Member CommonPosts: 39

I have account and played all 3 of them a lot.  Choose TSW by far to be my primary MMO.

You usually skip story when theres a wall of text, but when its very well made and fully voice acted, you will pay attention for sure. The NPCs are charismatics and the story is so great that it goes beyond game (ARGs). Also the best quests so far in a MMO with investigation and subterfuge missions. And the dungeons so well made with little to no trash and interesting bosses, like Machine Tyrant from Hell Raised. I like the ability well too, it makes you think in a "deck" with sinergy. I am playing in Tokyo now and some missions there made me have nightmares (no spoillers).

One advice If you decide to play TSW. Dont rush the game. Enjoy the quests, fully search each area, find lores (and read them), try to finish alone the investigation missions (omg some of them are HARD)... The jorney is great!

I am not saying that GW2 and WoW are not good games, but they have problems already stated in posts before mine.

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    I personally had a blast playing through TSW ive done it twice probably will a third time(3 factions). Never really got into the end game but looks decent enough, the leveling and story is fun, no its not a wall of text you get it all from cut scenes. If its on sale you would get your moneys worth I would think, but some people hated it so toss the dice!!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Hmm i agree with WoW being trivilized, and being that i've had extensive experience in the game i'd probably be better of just staying away, because i tend to find myself in the situation of hitting level cap, and getting fully pvp geared in under a month and getting sick of it, probably a mix of burning out and just not feeling like i accomplished anything.

TSW is intriguing for sure, i like story, but i'm not sure if i'd actually pay attention because with an MMO concerned it usually just turns into skipping as much text as possible and doing the "quest", unless of course you don't really need to read walls of text to follow the story.

I also agree about GW2's aesthetics and looking pretty. I found the combat fun, and surely better than WoW's archaic tab target approach. However, whats troubling is how many people say after hitting cap in just a couple weeks you're left with very little to do except pvp and getting xmog gear. 

Seriously, I'd chose TSW just for the story, it really is quite good, and it paces you through it quite well.  The skill wheel is a bit unique, and you won't feel like you're playing a retread of a game you've played before.

One thing how important is PVP?  TSW's isn't anything remarkable unless it's changed recently, GW2 has both structured and free form PVP (in a controlled zone) and probably is the best of the 3 if you've already done WOW's.  No open world PVP however in either title.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Wow is easiest, do you really like playing it or not? If it isn't really fun then no (and it is likely no since you need to ask.

GW and TSW are a different thing. GW2 do have way better engine and there is more work put into it but that doesn't mean you think it is more fun.

GW2 is fantasy/steampunk with focus on looking cool, going out and exploring the world while doing whatever happens when you are there but getting used to the combat can take a little time unless you find a nice guild that teaches you the ropes. GW2 is also a game where you need to get used to having a lot of people around you (don't worry, they cant steal your loot or ninja you).

TSW is modern horror (like Delta green, Cthulhu modern) with few but rather good and focused quests and no levels.

Either of them is a good choice in my book and good value for your money, I played GW2 since the beta myself but it doesn't mean it is the best choice for you. But that is if you PvE, if you PvP then just pick GW2. But both those games are rather cheap to get and play so you could just grab one at random, try it out and if it doesn't do it for you try the other. If that don't work either you should consider getting back to Wow.

Finding the right MMO for you is not an easy task, we all like different things. You can always watch a few vids of people playing, this site have a bunch and youtube is filled with them.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

I would honestly suggest buying both TSW and GW2.  Since you have played WoW, you know what you are missing, or not missing :).

TSW definitely trumps GW2 in story telling - but as far as I am concerned GW2 wins in all other aspects.  So you if you are looking to immerse yourself in something unique, TSW might scratch that itch.  If you are looking to get your game on, GW2 is great.

I myself really wish I could get into TSW - bought it at release.  My problem is the animations, HUD, UI, and controls.  They are so awkward I cannot feel connected to the game or character one bit.

At the end of the day, they both go on sale quite often, and neither have a sub fee.  So if you pick them up on sale you are at no loss - you can pick up and play them at any time you wish.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    w8 for ArcheAge  :D
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Each is for such different game styles...

GW2 for Casual game play thats really fun the first time through. End game is a little shallow and zergish but everyone gets to see everything and thats awesome. 

WoW is casual up front but hardcore if you want to see any end game. This is the game where the devs say proudly only 1% of the community see all content. 

TSW, horror and not my cup of tea, they lost me after the first handful of F bombs. 

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

If you want something different, TSW. Very fresh experience and great story. Almost need to toss out about 75% of what you know about mmos so you can relate to it properly. You already know WoW, so that's the comfortable old shoe you never throw out because it's... comfy. Never played GW2 so can't say about that one.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

I would have voted TSW just because it is the only one I have not played

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

I would have voted TSW just because it is the only one I have not played

Was about to say the same. And it's on sale on Steam with the summer sale with 30% off, but was on 50% yesterday...