Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMO LCD Monitors

sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Can anyone recommend me a budget monitor for playing MMOs?

I don't play FPS or racing games and I do a little photo editing on the side. I sit quite close (60 cm or so) to my monitor  since my desk is pretty small. 

I was thinking 24' AOC e2461Fwh but would like to hear from you as well. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Comments

• Dampiel_szDampiel_sz Member UncommonPosts: 73
    what ever you can afford
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

There are a lot more features to consider than there used to be with monitors.  Fifteen years ago, the only choice was the size because everything was CRT.  Now, you have size, response time, and refresh rate.  Soon, video cards and monitors will be able to choose when to refresh with FreeSync/G-Sync features.

The best advice I can give you is to go to the store and look at monitors.  Since the differences are visual, and a matter of preference, looking at numbers online won't tell the whole story.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Here are my recommendations.

(lol it garbled my links)

ASUS VX238H-W White 23" 16:9 aspect ratio monitor 1920x1080 $159.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236327

LG 25UM64-S Black 25" 21:9 aspect ratio monitor 2560x1080 $249.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005626

AOC q2963Pm Black 29" 21:9 aspect ratio monitor 2560x1080 $379.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160162

The first one is pretty much like a default selection for what you asked for. Usually ASUS monitors offer good color for a TN panel and have a good response time to limit ghosting. It also has a good selection of inputs for maximum flexibility. I tend to stay away from AOC, my first LCD monitor was an AOC and it was not impressive compared to what I replaced it with. More than likely nothing against them since it was an early LCD, just a bad impression.

The second one I suggested is a much wider screen LG with an IPS display. The IPS display is on the cheaper side as you can imagine since its under $300. Also because of its wide aspect ratio, its really like a 22" or 23" monitor. But you said you do image editing, and a wide IPS panel would be helpful in that regard. However, we are on the lower end of IPS panels where a higher end TN panel could potentially produce a more ideal effect. The other problem with IPS panels is the refresh rate starts to touch possible ghosting. The nice thing is that LG posted an honest reflection of its refresh rate and it should not be that big of an issue. They show 5ms Gray to Gray and 14ms typically. A frame ideally refreshes between 16-32ms.

The third one is an AOC which I dread, and is pretty similar to the second one at a higher price point. The main reason I suggested it is because its 29" opposed to 25". Getting such a wide angle means that you need to get a bigger size in order to cover the same height dimension. Makes me wish they measured monitors based on height opposed to diagonal. So getting a larger version will offset that change. The problem is once you start getting around 27" in size you should want 1440 pixels in height, but this is also a wider monitor so it may not be as high as a 27" 16:9 ratio monitor.

Hope this helps, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Also I am pretty sure most people sit around 60cm from their monitor. If I took out a ruler now, it will be about 2ft away which is roughly 60cm. The benefit of a bigger monitor is you begin to naturally sit further away from your monitor.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Thanks! Anyone else has any other suggestions? I forgot to mention but $170 is about the max I can spend on a monitor.

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by syntax42
    There are a lot more features to consider than there used to be with monitors.  Fifteen years ago, the only choice was the size because everything was CRT.  Now, you have size, response time, and refresh rate.  Soon, video cards and monitors will be able to choose when to refresh with FreeSync/G-Sync features.The best advice I can give you is to go to the store and look at monitors.  Since the differences are visual, and a matter of preference, looking at numbers online won't tell the whole story.

This. Especially at your budget, the only real difference is likely to be what looks best to you.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Many years ago I started to use 1900 X 1200 monitors and I really can't go back.  Especially for the ones with lots of UI elements like EQ2 and WoW.  Newer more streamlined UI games like ESO it's not as big a deal but for those older games those extra 200 pixels make a big difference.

I don't think your budget will allow that but it's something to keep in mind.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by udon Many years ago I started to use 1900 X 1200 monitors and I really can't go back.  Especially for the ones with lots of UI elements like EQ2 and WoW.  Newer more streamlined UI games like ESO it's not as big a deal but for those older games those extra 200 pixels make a big difference. I don't think your budget will allow that but it's something to keep in mind.

I agree. 1900 X 1200 is in my opinion the gaming sweet spot. I've been using a 24" one for years for gaming and photo editing. I also find that the 16:10 ratio "feels" better than 16:9 for games but that might just be personal preference.

It's a noticeable improvement over 1080p monitors but not so many pixels as to require an elite graphics card or SLI to drive the pixels. Once you start getting into 1440p monitors or higher, that becomes a consideration if you want to run games at reasonable frame rates.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I run a Dell 28" with 2560 x 1440 and really good lightning. It is excellent and relatively good priced as well.

4K screens are just too expensive but we MMO players need a pretty good screen so it was the best affordable one (I also do some photoshopping).

If you want something smaller I would consider one of Samsungs 24", they are pretty nice as well (but not as bright and can't run that resolution).

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by sacredfool
    Thanks! Anyone else has any other suggestions? I forgot to mention but $170 is about the max I can spend on a monitor.

Hi, I know this is a little over your price range, by about 30 bucks to be precise but, it is the best gaming monitor for exactly what you want to do with it and around your price range.

I prefer IPS over anything, better viewing angles and can see from a further distance without having to mess with resolution settings. I don't notice much of a difference from my TN 120Hertz.

If your in the US.  199.00

Asus PB238Q

if in Canada, very comparable 160.00

ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Thanks everyone. I finally chose an  LG 24MP55HQ-P mainly because it was on sale. 

I had a look in the shop and the colours looked great. I will check how it performs in games. Only thing that I instantly disliked was the fact it was pretty wobbly compared to the other 24" monitors from Samsung standing right next to it. 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Thanks everyone. I finally chose an  LG 24MP55HQ-P mainly because it was on sale. 

I had a look in the shop and the colours looked great. I will check how it performs in games. Only thing that I instantly disliked was the fact it was pretty wobbly compared to the other 24" monitors from Samsung standing right next to it. 

How much did you pay?  Decent choice btw.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy

How much did you pay?  Decent choice btw.

Paid the equivalent of 195 USDs, a hefty european VAT tax included. It only just fit in my budget. 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think LGs are pretty good since they are one of the two main panel makers, especially for IPS panels. You got a TN panel so it does not apply. I have an LG Monitor I bought in 2006. It died about a month ago which to me is a relatively good run.
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    I think LGs are pretty good since they are one of the two main panel makers, especially for IPS panels. You got a TN panel so it does not apply. I have an LG Monitor I bought in 2006. It died about a month ago which to me is a relatively good run.

It's an IPS.