Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A great base game let down by the difficulty level + lack of stuff to do at cap.

WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Good luck once you hit cap (to which I was one of the slowest amongst my friends with job, family and grass to mow).  The servers I am on are full of casual semi-casual guilds.

The problems.:

PvE Endgame.  its all about Gold Medals, it is not worth running dungeons/adventures unless you are aiming for gold.  Thats how you get the good loot.  The problem is the majority of the time there is no tracker or guide on how well your group is doing.  You NEED comms and a brain.

Now I am down with that, problem is there is a massive mismatch between how the community is behaving towards this with the amount of casual guilds.  Trying to convince pugs to care is an uphill struggle, semi to hc guilds are very few and usually closed off.

PvP 2 BGs.. Game is young so okay.

This game SCREAMS fun and it is to a point and it is the most polished launch of any mmorpg I have played.  Problem is I find myself with little to do unless I have a crack squad of elite trained team mates around me.  Which is not often...

The mismatch is real and the fate of the game depends on how carbine addresses this problem.  Hyperbole maybe or just soup for thought.

This is just one gamers opinion whose friends are beginning to twiddle thumbs while whistling "what to do now carbine".

Comments

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

Week and a half until new content. Couple patches for bug fixes over time. I think it's doing just fine. Take a week off or work on finishing up getting challenges, housing items, attunement, gear, mounts etc etc. This is one of the only games to launch with a competent endgame.. but lets be real, it's 3 weeks in. Give it some time bro.. go mentor down a help some lower level players an train your own elite squad of awesome badasses who care about doing shit right; then when new content hits and more people get up to cap, you'll be ahead of the curve. 

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I don't see how it's a mismatch.  This game was touted as a game for hardcore 20 and 40 man raids.  It shouldn't be a big surprise when people start reaching max level that Carbine is going to start bleeding a lot of subs because people simply aren't good enough to do that content.
  • DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Wicoa

Problem is I find myself with little to do unless I have a crack squad of elite trained team mates around me. 

You keep talking about about casual guilds and pugs, veteran/gold dungeon runs and ranked Pvp were not intended for those players. The dungeons are a direct path to raiding, and if you can't succeed at the dungeons then you wont even come close to the raids.

Yes, much of the endgame is designed for organized teams at a high skill level, how did you miss that information with all the videos and articles all over the web? You do have other content to do but no it wont give you the high end gear...that's exactly how they designed it, and like Mael said, the new patch is coming in a little over a week.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    This reminds me of the post that prompted  the infamous "Dungeons are Hard" Blog by Greg (Ghost Crawler) Street. I too was one of the ones that wanted hard dungeons. The causal masses destroyed any hope of that. With pitchforks and torches they descended upon Blizzard demanding "dungeons over lunch". They got what they asked for too. Sure 5 million hardcore guys left, but 7 million casuals stayed.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Warplots are a great alternative to running the same two BGs. Housing and crafting may not be your thing thats cool. Definitely need to either start a more focused pve guild with your friends or go guild shopping (there are actually quite a few broadcasted on this site that say they are hardcore raiding)

I honestly don't know what feature in this game is "the one" that I'm going to really dig into. I just seem to log on and do a bunch of stuff and I have a pretty good time during all of it.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by nbtscan
    I don't see how it's a mismatch.  This game was touted as a game for hardcore 20 and 40 man raids.  It shouldn't be a big surprise when people start reaching max level that Carbine is going to start bleeding a lot of subs because people simply aren't good enough to do that content.

Carbine has been boasting about their end game for a while.  Especially the dungeons and raiding.  So why the hell are people who have hit max level surprised by this?

You can never win....never win, cupecake.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by nbtscan

Good enough or stupid enough?

• NorewonNorewon Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I have had good luck with cap, thank OP :) ... then again I am in a guild and I think that is the difference in our situations. I am not puging for gold so when we wipe once the group doesnt disband right away. I would suggest getting to know your guilds / circles / or some other players looking to group for these medals.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I will never even in my wildest dreams make gold that I cannot do even the challenges I seldom get a gold. I manage silver a lot. I am mediocre at best. I am not quick enough but I enjoy the game. I will not be upset over things that are beyond me instead I will enjoy the things I can do. I will heal where I am needed and the groups that are not going for the best loot may take me to heal. I also love the housing and I have so far got about 4 crafters so I can get may be the best crafted items I can make. This is enough for me. I know you probably think I am pathetic but I have always worked for what I can manage in a game and not be too far behind but if you are unhappy about what you can achieve then you will very unsatisfied.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by kitarad
    I will never even in my wildest dreams make gold that I cannot do even the challenges I seldom get a gold. I manage silver a lot. I am mediocre at best. I am not quick enough but I enjoy the game. I will not be upset over things that are beyond me instead I will enjoy the things I can do. I will heal where I am needed and the groups that are not going for the best loot may take me to heal. I also love the housing and I have so far got about 4 crafters so I can get may be the best crafted items I can make. This is enough for me. I know you probably think I am pathetic but I have always worked for what I can manage in a game and not be too far behind but if you are unhappy about what you can achieve then you will very unsatisfied.

That's pretty much exactly my approach to video games.

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652
    I still remember posts where people were saying things like "How hard can it be to not stand in the red rectangle". Game is hard - and that is good. If everything is fucking easy that means having anything in the game becomes meaningless. If 100% of people can get all achievements what is the point of having achievements ?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Thanks all for the reponses.

I suppose I should add, the difficulty doesnt bother me so much its that Im not sure a dungeon finder tool and lack of ingame comms suits the difficulty level.

The problem is imho that players will no longer really strive to hit that content and improve their character/play, they are generally happy in their social guilds and if game is too hard they just slowly drop off and head back to other games.

I believe carbine will make things easier as quite frankly it comes down to money.  Everything is just about it being a game right? And from what I have witnessed over the years, people are not willing so much to transition to higher game play they are satisfied being who they are and what they do.  They will find a game that suits their style again money = dev direction.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

If you have already hit end game level then the base game was NOT good.You should be living out a role play adventure where by levels are sort of like years in your life,they should not be flying by like the speed of light.

When i play something ,anything at all and i call it FUN,then i want it to last, i don't want fun times to be over in a blink.

You did some quest so now your a more experienced player?lol or you found some new area of land so now your a more experienced player?Seriously who started all this ridiculous game design?The problem is that since MOST of mmorpg gamer's started in Wow they think this is the way a rpg should be played.

It should take YEARS before your player is fully experienced in all it could learn.A living breathing persistent world is not meant to be a single player game where you run through 500 quests beat a few bosses and your done.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Wizardry

If you have already hit end game level then the base game was NOT good.You should be living out a role play adventure where by levels are sort of like years in your life,they should not be flying by like the speed of light.

When i play something ,anything at all and i call it FUN,then i want it to last, i don't want fun times to be over in a blink.

You did some quest so now your a more experienced player?lol or you found some new area of land so now your a more experienced player?Seriously who started all this ridiculous game design?The problem is that since MOST of mmorpg gamer's started in Wow they think this is the way a rpg should be played.

It should take YEARS before your player is fully experienced in all it could learn.A living breathing persistent world is not meant to be a single player game where you run through 500 quests beat a few bosses and your done.

You're basically saying no MMO has ever been good, because none have ever required years of play to be fully experienced in. As normal I don't agree with the point you make.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

I believe carbine will make things easier as quite frankly it comes down to money.  Everything is just about it being a game right? And from what I have witnessed over the years, people are not willing so much to transition to higher game play they are satisfied being who they are and what they do.  They will find a game that suits their style again money = dev direction.

You might be right, unfortunately.  The thing is, the devs said they would never nerf the content for the sake of simply making it easier.  They swore up and down, and essentially made a contract with the fanbase at the time.  Now if they do it for the sake of money?  You'll lose most of the people playing the game right now.  The ones that have backed this from day one.  For what?  So that average players can experience raiding?  No thanks.  If that happens, Carbine's studio will most likely be set ablaze by the hardcore fanbase.  

Originally posted by Skymourne

You might be right, unfortunately.  The thing is, the devs said they would never nerf the content for the sake of simply making it easier.  They swore up and down, and essentially made a contract with the fanbase at the time.  Now if they do it for the sake of money?  You'll lose most of the people playing the game right now.  The ones that have backed this from day one.  For what?  So that average players can experience raiding?  No thanks.  If that happens, Carbine's studio will most likely be set ablaze by the hardcore fanbase.  

Why? Why would adding easier options mean that those who want it hard, couldn't also have what they want? That's the part I don't get, why do they feel the need to be special snowflakes, why can't the Devs cater to others as well?

Why? Why would adding easier options mean that those who want it hard, couldn't also have what they want? That's the part I don't get, why do they feel the need to be special snowflakes, why can't the Devs cater to others as well?

Because that is how the game was advertised.  That's why.  World of Warcraft has every element you're seeking.  The Wildstar dev team wants raiding to be unique and extremely challenging and making "Looking for Raid" type versions completely undermines the spirit of the game's original intent.  There are other games to play if you are looking for varying difficulties.  Not everyone gets the be a winner.  Not everyone gets a blue ribbon and ice cream after the sports match.  If you want that, then you need to get busy playing and getting as good as the game requires you to be.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Originally posted by Distopia

They wrote this game for the hard cores... they NEVER advertised it to be easy.  NEVER.  Once again, people trying to turn another game into a WoW clone.  If WoW is so damn good, why aren't you playing it?  Leave this game alone.  If players decide hardcore is not their thing, there are plenty of other games out there.  Plenty.  Leave this one alone.  As soon as you even suggest changing it, you're obviously not going to be playing it for long.  Leave now and save yourself the sub.

Originally posted by Foobarx

They wrote this game for the hard cores... they NEVER advertised it to be easy.  NEVER.  Once again, people trying to turn another game into a WoW clone.  If WoW is so damn good, why aren't you playing it?  Leave this game alone.  If players decide hardcore is not their thing, there are plenty of other games out there.  Plenty.  Leave this one alone.  As soon as you even suggest changing it, you're obviously not going to be playing it for long.  Leave now and save yourself the sub.

Do I have to repeat my question? you didn't answer it...

I don't care either way what they do, yet I don't understand this mentality one bit. Hence the question...

I don't care either way what they do, yet I don't understand this mentality one bit. Hence the question...

Well, quite frankly, many of us are pretty damn tired of people complaining about a game being difficult and the company caving in.  The game just isn't fun anymore after that.  Sure it may be fun to you, but you and your ilk just robbed other people of fun just so you can play.  That's selfish and it keeps happening.  We want you people to stay where you are at and let us have something for once.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Originally posted by Foobarx

Why is the sky blue?  Why ask why?  Why not leave it alone?

Marcia Marcia Marcia

Because that is how the game was advertised.  That's why.  World of Warcraft has every element you're seeking.  The Wildstar dev team wants raiding to be unique and extremely challenging and making "Looking for Raid" type versions completely undermines the spirit of the game's original intent.  There are other games to play if you are looking for varying difficulties.  Not everyone gets the be a winner.  Not everyone gets a blue ribbon and ice cream after the sports match.  If you want that, then you need to get busy playing and getting as good as the game requires you to be.

First and foremost I'm not seeking anything from either WS or WOW... Neither are my types of games.

Yet your reasoning doesn't cut it for me. As adding other options would not take "what's advertised" away from the game in any way.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Exactly. Wow and wildstar are similar, but where WOW offers levels of difficulty with 95% content at 7 year old level and 5% at top end difficulty, Wildstar offers a high % of content at high difficulty. Take your pick or even play both, but realise when you play 1 game and try to ask for another you are playing the self entitled card.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

Good luck once you hit cap (to which I was one of the slowest amongst my friends with job, family and grass to mow).  The servers I am on are full of casual semi-casual guilds.

The problems.:

PvE Endgame.  its all about Gold Medals, it is not worth running dungeons/adventures unless you are aiming for gold.  Thats how you get the good loot.  The problem is the majority of the time there is no tracker or guide on how well your group is doing.  You NEED comms and a brain.

Now I am down with that, problem is there is a massive mismatch between how the community is behaving towards this with the amount of casual guilds.  Trying to convince pugs to care is an uphill struggle, semi to hc guilds are very few and usually closed off.

PvP 2 BGs.. Game is young so okay.

This game SCREAMS fun and it is to a point and it is the most polished launch of any mmorpg I have played.  Problem is I find myself with little to do unless I have a crack squad of elite trained team mates around me.  Which is not often...

The mismatch is real and the fate of the game depends on how carbine addresses this problem.  Hyperbole maybe or just soup for thought.

This is just one gamers opinion whose friends are beginning to twiddle thumbs while whistling "what to do now carbine".

This MMO requires initiative. Its all trial and error.

Find some people in chat or your friends and try out a vet dungeon. Make sure your geared from doing vet adventures first. Search for a smaller possibly more dedicated guild. I would be shocked if there wasn't a single guild wanting to go for raids or at the very least VET dungeons.

Its not easy, nor was it ever advertised as being easy. I can almost assure you though that there are others on your server wanting to do VET Dungeons/Adventures. If not, maybe change servers if its that bad. Personally I am on Pago at the moment and there are quite a few hardcore guilds around or at least guilds wanting to do the harder content.

People have been asking forever for a game with difficulty that requires communication at a high skill level. Well, here it is.

Honestly, I'm kind of overwhelmed with how much there is to do at endgame, but in a good way.