Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Legitimate Gripes

illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 516

I was a major War2/SC/Diablo fanboy and still am going on 11 years now, so you could say I'm an Arena Net fanboy too I guess.   ...that said:

-many Skills are unbalanced

-Teaming up is a PitA many times (I come from City of Heroes where all we have to do is click a button that says "seek team", infact now we can enter Search Descriptions to let others anywhere on the server know eactly what we are and what we are looking for)

-Crafting and trading with NPCs is miserably unbalanced  ...Evidence:

a.) I can make 10 parchments for 200 and sell them for 800

b.) BUT To make 10 ingots of Steel, I need 10 Charcoal crafted first, costing 4,000 to make everything but I can buy it for half that

c.) The Materials trader has a minimum buying price of 10, but will only sell the same exact crap for a minimum of atleast 150.  In the real world, this jackass would go out of business in 2 days

d.) Most weapons crafters offer too few options and upgrades are only a viable option for players at End-Game forcing Mid-Game to suck total ass if you need a better weapon or armor

e.) "expert's Salvage Kit" is a fekking JOKE.  A 5% chance to get something useful in most cases is NOT balanced salvaging.  Some people report a higher success rate and if they're serious, they need to meet me online TODAY and give me some of that stuff they lucked out on or else STFU

f.) I keep getting crap that Drops ALL THE TIME and when salvaged, it gives me materials that I can't find any crafters for.  ...Apparently this junk can only be crafted by other Classes?  ...Forcing me to either leave the Drop/loot, or go Spam the Trade channel for half an hour to make half the money I can make by going out and hunting alone in that time.  ....Eiter way I'm LOSING MONEY I should be getting in the form of something more useful dropping.

f2.) This also means a LOT of items are actually gated off to us based on class

-The landscape sucks, it's just a bunch of featureless Mazes many times and the Borders are basically anything above a 30 degree slope that anyone /w more than one limb could easily climb up.  It suspends belief and is too confusing in many situations.

-Anything above level 2 Aggros on you at a predictable and fairly too-long range and runs as fast as you do forcing us to fight crap we get no EXP for when we're just there to run a quick errand or something.

-Key NPC's in some zones get attacked and killed forcing us to burn up time in several attempts to haul ass to them before they get themselves killed, making some quests broken

-A level 10 Hydra is riskier and more dangerous than a level 13 Beastmaster, gating off a key region to some players and greatly frustrating many others.

-AoE damage can dominate too many fights (especially Mark of Pain)

But hey, I've got some plusses too...

+Soloing is possible, and quite rewarding, monetarilary-speaking

+Henchmen DO get the job done, you just have to be an above average player or well experienced with computer subroutines, pathing, and AI in general to really work with them

+A quality dye-job really does look good and is worth it

+1 very good player can carry a whole team in a crunch sometimes

+Death Penalty isn't really there so you only lose time and aren't penalized for ending up on a bad team

+Travel is instantaneus just like a Town-Portal and that's ALWAYS a good thing in a game that centers around Equipment/l00t.

Comments

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by iller
    (...)
    e.) "expert's Salvage Kit" is a fekking JOKE. A 5% chance to get something useful in most cases is NOT balanced salvaging. Some people report a higher success rate and if they're serious, they need to meet me online TODAY and give me some of that stuff they lucked out on or else STFU
    f.) I keep getting crap that Drops ALL THE TIME and when salvaged, it gives me materials that I can't find any crafters for. ...Apparently this junk can only be crafted by other Classes? ...Forcing me to either leave the Drop/loot, or go Spam the Trade channel for half an hour to make half the money I can make by going out and hunting alone in that time. ....Eiter way I'm LOSING MONEY I should be getting in the form of something more useful dropping.
    f2.) This also means a LOT of items are actually gated off to us based on class
    (...)

e/f1/f2.) Rare materials from regular items is 5% or something, like getting fur square out of low rank hides (ex charr), higher level monster drops have higher chance (1% per monster level?). I trade/give materials to my guild.
    Expert salvage on magic/rare/gold to get runes is ok, for me its 70% succes for 10 or so blue/purple/gold items (1 gold, got elemental defense handle from that one).

Collectors (/weapon crafters?) hand out usefull stuff but not having them marked on map is annoying & having to write down/remmember what they want & give. This should/could be fixed by having client side saving.

Auction house trading wont happen probably because of server power/bandwith. Best bet is trade forums.

For skills I havent tried enough yet (only 1 character that is level 18 with some lower levels after Pre-searing), some skills have very limited use (like the monk-necromancer spells that are counters for that specific class).

• xNIBxxNIBx Member Posts: 14

Some skills are imbalanced? This game has close to 500 skills and you have found an imbalance? Imbalance = something that cannot be countered. I doubt you have even unlocked 1/5 of them and even if you have, you need like 10 hours just to read the descriptions and see what each skill does. And even when you read what each skill does, you need to test it with different attribute distribution, different skill combos and different teammates(you are only 1/8 of the team).

The sheer ammount of choices makes the game balanced(for now at least). The game isnt nearly close to "broken", as in completely understood and explored.

I use my storage to keep all my materials. For most of the time, that space will be enough to keep if not all, most of the materials that you have found. My character inventory is more than enough to keep some rare items that i want to sell to other ppl. Hopefully, they will add a guild vault on the guild hall soon, so that you can store more thing. But personally i have no problem with storage.

And aoe dmg dominate too many fights? Well yes that what is supposed to do, that what it does in all games thats why they are called "nukes". Elementalist are the dmg dealers, warriors are the tanks(although IMO an elementalist can often tank better than a warrior), rangers are the lurers(do good dmg too), monks are the healers, mesmers are the antispellcasters and necros are versatile. And most nukes suck in pve.

• triptronictriptronic Member UncommonPosts: 84

I agree about the landscape when i first played the game the first e3 preview i thought what a load of crap u have to follow paths, but after awhile i got used to it.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 516

I wasn't talking about skills compared from one class to another, Nib, or even accross skill branches themselves.  I'm talking about ones within each effect not even being balanced against eachother, leading to us most often using at most 4 good skills from that branch that eveyone else also took, maxxing the stats on them just like everyone else, and picking up Trash-Skills the other 97.5% of the time just to kill time.  ...and pretty soon the illusion wears off.

And I don't recall having any gripes about the storage capacity.

And I'm saddly disappointed in your summary at the end that assumes everything is right in the world when the classes are pidgeonholed into a stereotypical duplicate of Everquest's laughable status quo.  A Smarter team of designers would find a way to make all AoE's perfectly balanced so that they are no more and no less useful in PvE and PvP. 

...my fault for having higher expectations of Arena Net I guess...

• fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

well..i will agree with the aoe's but not the one you mean.

monk smiting is just insane in pve, its really not even fair.
    the only good thing is most people dont know about it becasue they dont play monk becasue they are the 'healer' either that or they play one and only heal.

but yeah i get a kick out of doing drake runs(bored now just trying to rack up cash).
    often times ill take someone for company, ill say 'ready to go?' and thy will alwasy say 'we need a tank' or 'we need some damage' ..and my personal favorite 'dont go down there, 20+ undead will mob you'
    hehe..just shutup, follow, and you will roll a monk after this mission gaurenteed.

• ThePhoenixThePhoenix Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 116

Originally posted by iller
    I was a major War2/SC/Diablo fanboy and still am going on 11 years now, so you could say I'm an Arena Net fanboy too I guess. ...that said:-Anything above level 2 Aggros on you at a predictable and fairly too-long range and runs as fast as you do forcing us to fight crap we get no EXP for when we're just there to run a quick errand or something.
    -Key NPC's in some zones get attacked and killed forcing us to burn up time in several attempts to haul ass to them before they get themselves killed, making some quests broken

I agree with these 2 points. The level 2's aggroing on level 15's is just damned annoying.

And I have had to repeat quests cuz npc's have died before you get there. Not to mention that damn Joe devourer that got stuck once, and dead twice before I could finish that one.... ::::26::

• JohnnyVJohnnyV Member Posts: 124

i agree on most points....but the thing about GW is, is that the plusses carry the game, and i think the downsides of GW can be easily remedied compared to some games that are beyond repair

• BleehBleeh Member Posts: 116

My 2 gold:

Often I don't find teaming up to be a pain, it's the people I end up with and what they do in the mission that's a pain.  That's not unique with GW, that happens in any MMO.

Crafting and trading is kinda wierded out.  I don't even salvage anymore, i just sell things outright unless it's highly salvagable or purple.  WTF do I need 50 planks of wood for? image  The game really isn't that loot-centric to begin with.  It's more about playing as part of a team, whether it's PvE or PvP.

I disagree on the landscape, though.  It is confusing at times, but the in-game maps are pretty detailed.  You can actually see where paths are.  If you have the right quest highlighted, and arrow is pointing you in the direction of the goal in your mini-map, so you don't have to explore all over the place.

Guild Wars is still an MMO.

• SoraKogekiSoraKogeki Member Posts: 51
    There are some people that usingly forget when it come to salvaging rare items.  One, correct me if I'm wrong with the color, is the item have to be blue (the text) to have the rare item.  The white colored item will mainly get you regular items.  Second, you need to ID the items.  If it is a rune, the Expert Salvage kit don't know it is a rune unless you ID it so get an Identification kit too.  If an item have Highly Salvagable after you ID it, there is a high possibility it is a rare crafting item.  For Precious, I don't know.....  so far, I only got regular from those but I don't know about everyone else.
  • fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

well..no you can get rare from white stuff. i get tons of steel/silk etc. from white drops.
    i would id everythign thats blue and up becasue even blue stuff have runes/hafts/strings and stuff in them, and id kit is not expensive.
    precious only means it sells for a bit more to merchant.

• ThePhoenixThePhoenix Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 116

White, Blue, Purple, Gold, that's the order of 'rarity' or the scale of your chances to get a good item from the salvage. White is the low end, Gold the high end. You stand a MUCH better chance of getting a rune or upgrade from a purple or gold, than you do with white or purple, and I THINK the major and superior runes only come from the purple/gold items?? Having never gotten a major from purple, blue or white, or had the nerve to try to salvage a goldie yet, would need some clarification on that...

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by shadowrunner
    (...)would need some clarification on that...

You can get runes if the items has runes to begin with, white items can give rare material instead of common. You can only get 1 rune/prefix from a weapon/armor even if it has several. GWOnline has a great listing for that the prefixes mean & how many you can have on a weapon.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by JohnnyV

i agree on most points....but the thing about GW is, is that the plusses carry the game, and i think the downsides of GW can be easily remedied compared to some games that are beyond repair

Yes, I was hoping that if anything was inferenced from my post, it would exactly that since I'm not calling doom and gloom just because a number of things are off the mark.   ...Like any game, I give them time .... and then more time.    Infact I still play DiabloII because I didn't play it the first 3 years to a degree that would burn me out, and ever since then it's been a lot better and improved a dozen times better than when it launched.  I'm sure GuildWars will do the same or better. ...in time