Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Hope

solochoowookiesolochoowookie Member UncommonPosts: 54

After some recent launches, and beta experiences I have resigned myself to CU being the only game coming down the line I am remotely excited about.

ESO, was terrible. Just not good at all. Wildstar is a quest hub forced march broken up by PVP doggy pile and spam your AOE. EQ Landmark has been less than interesting, and the performance issues I have had were addressed by 'I shit you not' the same kind of service engagement SOE had in EQ/EQII...

Black Desert looks pretty, but clearly North America is a aftermarket for them, and I am not saying it shouldn't be, but it does make me hesitant to be more than mildly interested in the game.

So, no pressure CU....you're our only hope.

Comments

• arcundoarcundo Member UncommonPosts: 88

Nice to see a post here, it is not so often [understatement].  Nobody has replied to my PvP RvR and guilds from 4th of June.  :-

Feel free to elaborate a bit more on why you have that opinion about TESO... :-)

CU seems to me like a game that have many of the right ideas for a MMORPG. (All PvP and only craftable items is the most exciting ones). However I have followed games prelaunch with the great ideas for taking the MMO genre forward. AoC and Mortal Online being the most comparable ones.  While AoC actually followed up on many of those while Gaute Godager was still in charge, Mortal Online lacked in the implementation of the ideas. So the biggest concern now is the bugdet/manpower I guess.  How can we know if the ideas can be transformed into great gameplay (especially combat as the most crucial part)?  How can CU with limited budget take a different road than for instance Mortal Online?

So CU is the only one? What about Titan?

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    The Repopulation is our only hope.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by arcundo

Nice to see a post here, it is not so often [understatement].  Nobody has replied to my PvP RvR and guilds from 4th of June.  :-

Feel free to elaborate a bit more on why you have that opinion about TESO... :-)

CU seems to me like a game that have many of the right ideas for a MMORPG. (All PvP and only craftable items is the most exciting ones). However I have followed games prelaunch with the great ideas for taking the MMO genre forward. AoC and Mortal Online being the most comparable ones.  While AoC actually followed up on many of those while Gaute Godager was still in charge, Mortal Online lacked in the implementation of the ideas. So the biggest concern now is the bugdet/manpower I guess.  How can we know if the ideas can be transformed into great gameplay (especially combat as the most crucial part)?  How can CU with limited budget take a different road than for instance Mortal Online?

So CU is the only one? What about Titan?

I just replied to your other post. I guess the main reason to be confident that CSE can pull off CU with their budget ($5.6 million and climbing) is that Mark Jacobs made DAOC with a smaller budget than that back in the early '00s and that game had 3 large PvE areas in addition to its RvR. CU however does not have separate PvE areas for each realm since it is an RvR only game, so there is less that needs to be done with a larger amount of funding. Turning the ideas behind the game into gameplay is the big challenge. How well CSE is able to do that should become clearer after the BSC Days presentations and the first few test stages.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Thanks for both replies!

Yes that is great arguement! I guess one can save a lot of development resources by not having to design a lot of zones with all ncps and quests and quality assurance that comes with that. But crafting have to be even better than other games MMOs due to the lack of pve and loot.

Browsed the web for WoW's initial budget and i found $45 million one place another said either 65 or 85. Bioware's Star Wars had $100 million, some page stated.  The Rift had $50 million I read at the Rift forums.  I could not find out the budget for more comparable titles like AoC and Mortal Online.  So to pull if off at $5,6 CSE have to be really good, even without the PvE.

• KeatlorienKeatlorien Member Posts: 37
    Yes, anything is better than another quest hub.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    ESO gave me hope for CU. I'm looking forward to it now. If it wasn't for ESO and Cyrodill I couldn't see a AvAvA only game working. I have high hopes for CU, it's going to take a lot to top Cyrodiil though image
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    heh, it doesn't take much to top INSTANCED RVR....

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Why get excited for games anymore? Everything that has come out is crap and everything planned so far is crap. Mmo's are dead.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Utinni
    The Repopulation is our only hope.

I hope so as well...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Velonius650Velonius650 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Same here, my last kick at MMOs.  Damn you life always in the way. 

DAOC (retired): RR11 Merc
    Upcoming: CU, Wasteland 2, Eternity, Planescape

• AddiktedAddikted Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Camelot Unchained is the only game i am looking forward to.
    noone looking forward to Titan?
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I'm sick of all the games you guys line up as the "next hope" all the time.

My first impression of this game were the future players going from game to game, to spam viral adds  in map chat and talking about "their help" on the forums, as if they had done something good.

Then people said they had set up a booth in town to "gather money for our cause" talking about it as if they were collecting donations for charity projects.

This is a community I never ever want to mix with.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Velonius650Velonius650 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I'm sick of all the games you guys line up as the "next hope" all the time.

My first impression of this game were the future players going from game to game, to spam viral adds  in map chat and talking about "their help" on the forums, as if they had done something good.

Then people said they had set up a booth in town to "gather money for our cause" talking about it as if they were collecting donations for charity projects.

This is a community I never ever want to mix with.

Wut?

DAOC (retired): RR11 Merc
    Upcoming: CU, Wasteland 2, Eternity, Planescape

• pein_carbonpein_carbon Member Posts: 7

this game should be good they got one goal and its RvR they are not like eso that try to focus questing and some guild battles with no experience building it. they are not guild wars 2 trying to sell as much as possible even if they lose pretty much every good guilds and quality players leaving the game filled with quantity blobs.

srsly when 13 good guys in tier 1 server to last tier can beat 40 guys then something is very wrong.

sure I would understand if 30 good structured guild would beat 100 because the zone blob is not able to co ordinate the bombs but yh....

this game got a purpose it seems to build a good RvR they have done it before so it should be good hopefully they wont bind themselves when they build a good game hopefully they stay pure and just tell e sports when they come to piss off.

and all pve players please stay out. this game should stay pure and not go

PRESS 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

I have no hopes... I will believe it when I see it.  Until then... all the talk, all the hype, all the hope... is purely vaporware...

See you all in 2018 when there's actually an open beta coming around the pipe.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    +1 for public awareness.
    -Chuckles
  • SilkravenSilkraven Member UncommonPosts: 74
    very hopeful. if it can capture me the way rvr did in daoc,I'm all in.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I'm of the opinion that RvR doesn't work with todays playerbase where faction pride means absolutely nothing.
  • SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

1) PvP Only? Limited. Extremely so.

2) Graphics engine from 2003? Kinda looks like it. Yeah, graphics aren't everything but it's hard to create high quality gameplay and immersion when your engine just isn't that capable.

3) Small budget. Not exactly something that lends itself well to this industry. Small budget usually means the game will be lacking. Yes, there are exceptions like Eve but it was entering an untouched area. An MMO space sim really hadn't been done to that level before. This doesn't have that luxury.

4) Small team. Resources are usually very constrained and everyone ends up wearing many hats and overworking themselves. That means the guy who codes the website also designs the UI, even though he isn't that great at UIs.

I have the utmost respect for Mark Jacobs and the team; they've delivered some really great things in the past. I just can't help but think this project is far too ambitious for them and has all the wrong focus for what people really want to see. (Which is to say it has been proven there is a low demand for PvP-only fantasy MMOs.)

• IridescentJoeIridescentJoe Member Posts: 89
    Originally posted by Alders
    I'm of the opinion that RvR doesn't work with todays playerbase where faction pride means absolutely nothing.

This. Also, many players come to play MMOs with the mindset that an MMO is a single player game with co-op features. And they are getting just that.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    With no PVE , CU has no hope at all , accept for a very small niche market at the end of the day
  • SilkravenSilkraven Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I will grant that CU has no PVE. However, as it was in DAOC, folks were in a hurry level in order to compete in RvR. DAOCs biggest disappointment was the TOA expansion,which took you back to PVE in order to compete in RVR. This caused hard core RVR players to leave the game in mass. CU just cuts to the chase and completely leaves out PVE. Personally I won't miss the level grinding. For those who want PVE, play a PVE type game. It won't be a gamble for CU to be RVR only, there is a player base that will relish it. Depending if it lives up to expectations. We can only hope.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by SuperNick

1) PvP Only? Limited. Extremely so.

2) Graphics engine from 2003? Kinda looks like it. Yeah, graphics aren't everything but it's hard to create high quality gameplay and immersion when your engine just isn't that capable.

3) Small budget. Not exactly something that lends itself well to this industry. Small budget usually means the game will be lacking. Yes, there are exceptions like Eve but it was entering an untouched area. An MMO space sim really hadn't been done to that level before. This doesn't have that luxury.

4) Small team. Resources are usually very constrained and everyone ends up wearing many hats and overworking themselves. That means the guy who codes the website also designs the UI, even though he isn't that great at UIs.

I have the utmost respect for Mark Jacobs and the team; they've delivered some really great things in the past. I just can't help but think this project is far too ambitious for them and has all the wrong focus for what people really want to see. (Which is to say it has been proven there is a low demand for PvP-only fantasy MMOs.)

It is amazing how little you know about it's development. Shocking really.

You stay sassy!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    With no PVE , CU has no hope at all , accept for a very small niche market at the end of the day

That is precisely what MJ and team and shooting for: niche. They have stated that clearly.

You stay sassy!