Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR VS TESO. What would be a better choice for $9.99?

Both of these games are $10 at Walmart, and I want to know which one is worth my investment.

I want to get into another MMO since I am sick of WoW and WildStar didn't live up to the hype, but I only have about 20 hours/week to play, so I can't really play both.

Should I get The Old Republic, or The Elder Scrolls Online?

What is currently the better game and why?

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Well, SWTOR is F2P.  So, you can go ahead and try it for free before spending that $10.  ESO, you will have to take a gamble with.  
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

First thing that came to mind was the fact your sick of WoW, which means you might not like TOR since its gameplay is almost exactly like WoW with a star wars skin.

Another factor is, what do you want to play more? Sci-fi or Dark Fantasy?

They both have voice acting but I would say TOR has slightly better voice acting

Do you want fast action combat?  Then go for ESO

Do you want Battlegrounds or RvR?

ESO has more character customization and deeper crafting system

But personally I recommend ESO especially since its been patched a lot since release and had two big updates already and another big update coming in July.  Basically ESO gets better content updates and more frequently than TOR does.

Oh and by the way TOR is free to play but you need to sub for more access to game features.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Also, it's bad form to start two different threads with exactly the same topic.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    If I was going to pay 10 at walmart I'd buy the one that's usually $43.00 there, just checked the walmart online store and that's their price. Over the one I could play free anyway because..well it's free. My closest area walmart still has a TR CC on their shelf for sale I LOL every time I see it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Like the poster said , Swotor is free.   So buy ESO for 10 bucks and try Swotor for free. 

Then make up your own mind which game is better.   Which is how you should do it anyway.    Asking people to tell you which game you should like,is pretty lame. 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Swtor is free and you can spend 5 bucks in swtor and have the same benefits than a person who purchases the game.

As for ESO, well.... $10 for the game and a free month is not bad at all. Assuming they will fix the game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by MarkAnd81

Both of these games are $10 at Walmart, and I want to know which one is worth my investment.

I want to get into another MMO since I am sick of WoW and WildStar didn't live up to the hype, but I only have about 20 hours/week to play, so I can't really play both.

Should I get The Old Republic, or The Elder Scrolls Online?

What is currently the better game and why?

Buy ESO and try SWTOR for free.

But. SWTOR is a 2 years old MMO, you´ll find a lot of things to do at endgame. ESO is just 2 months old, the PvP on Cyrodil is amazing but the endgame PvE need really a lot of work. 

• MarkAnd81MarkAnd81 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Also, it's bad form to start two different threads with exactly the same topic.

Sorry. I wanted an answer from both groups.

I did what most suggested and am buying TESO. Started downloading TOR before I left for work today.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    TESO for 9 bucks already? ouch!!!

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    TESO for 9 bucks already? ouch!!!

Haha, yeah that's brutal. Diablo 3 didn't go on sale for 8 months, and that was more to do with Toyr R Us dumping PC games in general rather than it being unappealing product.

Thank you all again. Tried both games now, and I like TESO a lot more. TOR aint bad, but too WoW like.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

It would depend if you are willing to try one later as well. If that were the case I would choose TOR over ESO for the simple fact that ESO is going through growing pains right now. ESO will likely be a vastly superior game 6-10 months from now if one is looking for story based progression and world immersion.

Right now, for all it's core faults that will stick with the game forever, TOR is a fun game from the moment you log in and progress through story and your first few months at end game. Individual class story experience is more personal and fun than ESO. ESO is more about becoming involved in the greater world lore. If comparing their story arcs to TOR's, let's say Agent, you likely will not gain a sense of epic story telling.

TOR has the themepark clone style elements but done very well at times. Warzones are just about the most fun of any themepark battlegrounds I have ever played. Dungeons are the typical design but a few are considered extremely fun the first few go throughs due to their expanded story line. Classes have also gone through major balancing over time since release ... something ESO is suffering greatly from right now (along with bugs).

All story based games are typically most fun the first few weeks or months. TOR is very fun in many areas and will always be a great game for a change of pace for most mmo players ... until end game boredom sets in. ESO is going through growing pains right now where game play theory isn't successfully translating as well through implementation. I simply think it will be a vastly superior experience for players to try it out up to a year after launch instead of now but also believe it will be worth the time.

I will not enter conversations about if ESO will go F2P. It does not matter. TOR F2P is more a trial anyway. You will gain a greatly enhanced experience simply subbing to it. I consider both to be effectively sub games anyway.

You stay sassy!

Good point Tama, but I like TESO quite a bit so far. Just happy that it isn't your standard WoW clone.

ToR is good too, but I am sick of the WoW re-skins.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

swtor was more fun for me. and its star wars and has good class stories. a good traditional combat system. i felt more involved.

i had more fun in flashpoints than in eso dungeons.

pvp is also fun.

both lack the multiplayer feeling, worse on eso imo.

edit: wouldnt call it wow clone. wildstar might be similar to wow, but swtor has in common that its a themepark and that its a mmo.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i don't think you can go wrong with either one, assuming you like themeparks. i would say if you like making alts and not a big fan of pvp with automated crafting then go with SWTOR.

the replay value in swtor is far superior to ESO IMO.

but if you like to focus on one character to see all the content, like pvp, and want a world that feels more alive with superior character customization and deep crafting, then go with eso.

but like i said, you cant go wrong with either one. i would play one until you get sick of it then maybe try the other.

neither one is a game you can play hardcore for years.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by mistmaker
    swtor was more fun for me. and its star wars and has good class stories. a good traditional combat system. i felt more involved.i had more fun in flashpoints than in eso dungeons.pvp is also fun. both lack the multiplayer feeling, worse on eso imo. edit: wouldnt call it wow clone. wildstar might be similar to wow, but swtor has in common that its a themepark and that its a mmo.

i would say swtor is more of a wow clone than eso by far. its far more than just that its a themepark and an mmo like wow.

for example, the way SWTOR handles talents is exactly the same, even having similar talents builds to wow. at least that's how it was when i last played.

swtor also handles pvp the same, has dailies, the pve group content is the same. i could go on for a long time. swtor is wow in space with added VO content, you should make sure people know that before recommending the game to them because that isn't necessarily a bad thing for all people but it is a reality and a turn off for others.

• GableGable Member UncommonPosts: 44

1) You should have been sick of WoW in 2005

2) Wildstar DID live up to the hype, in case you missed it.

3) Gotta go with SWTOR over ESO, hands down.  More engaging story, Star Wars music (need I elaborate), better pvp (unless you like dying, running, running, running, fighting, dying, running, running, running, running, dying, etc.)

4) ESO is 10 dollars already?  Yikes.

5) Try Rift?  Also free and better than either of the games you mentioned, including WoW (my opinion, because it IS WoW with better graphics and WAY better classes

6) There is no such thing as a WoW clone.  WoW is an Everquest clone.  People posting on mmo forums should be well aware of this.

7) Try Wildstar again.  Plenty of people who barely played it gripe about it.  Very few who invested more time in it do.  For a reason.

8) Final Fantasy 14? It's hugely popular, hugely polished, and ninja's are coming.  Not playing it atm (because Wildstar, like everyone else) but I look very forward to diving back in someday

9) This post is full of thinly disguised arrogance, broad generalizations, and worst of all, strong opinions.  Don't be mad.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Gable

6) There is no such thing as a WoW clone.  WoW is an Everquest clone.  People posting on mmo forums should be well aware of this.

Firstly you can tone down the arrogance and more people will take you seriously.

As to your points above: Wildstar is done well for those into that sort of game. Hype is meaningless though unless it attracts those thinking a game's success is based entirely on how many players play it. Intelligent people who know what they like, independently from others, understand a game with fewer dedicated players is often a far greater success than revolving door games. I truly hope those who like Wildstar stick with it if only to keep a bulk of mmo players from jumping ship every few months as these migrating players often are vocal and disrupt those players sticking it out in the specific game at hand. 

I was a long term WIldstar test (since mid last year) and I simply could not get into the game. The cartoon animation and look is simply too childish for me and the combat system terrible and distracting. The game may be solid and functional but that alone does not appeal to everyone. All it needs to be is a place for those who like this sort of thing. The OP may like it too but may also discover, like I did, that yet another attempt at a "Wow-clone with a difference" does not bring the same magic similar to previous games.

People use Wow clone because the game evolved into something completely different than the original EQ. Any real EQ player would be insulted if told their game is no different than Wow. Wow has set the template in the minds of GENERATIONS of mmo players. Most games considered clones are completely patterned after Wow ... NOT EQ. What players expect now in an mmo are the same systems evolved in Wow because Blizzard is a company that develops polished systems over global game concept. Wow is nothing more than a collection of mini-games now and players expect this in every mmo since (EQ was nothing like how Wow is currently). It is now fair to say Wow-clone and to argue against this is nitpicking.

You stay sassy!

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      I dont even like ToR much but if i had to choose it would ToR by far ..
  • AtrigoAtrigo Member Posts: 44
    I've played SWToR as time allows since launch, and jumped into ESO right at launch, both are good representations of Themepark games and have good features.   I tried playing both at the same time but because of the personal story aspects found it difficult to jump back and forth between the two. SWToR has more content just because its been out longer, and has much more replay ability  due to the separate class stories. But it is much more linear then ESO. Even as a Themepark, ESO is a more open world then SWToR and provides for more "exploration". It really comes down to personal preference. As others have stated you could play both for the same money since SWToR is F2P. I unsubbed from ESO and will let it simmer in the pot for the rest of the year and come back to it later. Right now I am splitting my game time between SWToR and an older sandbox game so I can satisfy both of my gaming needs. Just my 2 cents. 
  • AtrigoAtrigo Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by Gable

Firstly you can tone down the arrogance and more people will take you seriously.

As to your points above: Wildstar is done well for those into that sort of game. Hype is meaningless though unless it attracts those thinking a game's success is based entirely on how many players play it. Intelligent people who know what they like, independently from others, understand a game with fewer dedicated players is often a far greater success than revolving door games. I truly hope those who like Wildstar stick with it if only to keep a bulk of mmo players from jumping ship every few months as these migrating players often are vocal and disrupt those players sticking it out in the specific game at hand. 

I was a long term WIldstar test (since mid last year) and I simply could not get into the game. The cartoon animation and look is simply too childish for me and the combat system terrible and distracting. The game may be solid and functional but that alone does not appeal to everyone. All it needs to be is a place for those who like this sort of thing. The OP may like it too but may also discover, like I did, that yet another attempt at a "Wow-clone with a difference" does not bring the same magic similar to previous games.

People use Wow clone because the game evolved into something completely different than the original EQ. Any real EQ player would be insulted if told their game is no different than Wow. Wow has set the template in the minds of GENERATIONS of mmo players. Most games considered clones are completely patterned after Wow ... NOT EQ. What players expect now in an mmo are the same systems evolved in Wow because Blizzard is a company that develops polished systems over global game concept. Wow is nothing more than a collection of mini-games now and players expect this in every mmo since (EQ was nothing like how Wow is currently). It is now fair to say Wow-clone and to argue against this is nitpicking.

I am so glad I never played WoW. The whole WoW clone thing has no meaning to me. 

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

one of the best reviews of TESO 

TESO has a ton of problems but for 9.99 that's not a bad deal at least to try it for 30 days.  If you haven't played SWTOR then it might be worth it to give it a shot.  If you like bioware games you will love it.  

• InnkwellInnkwell Member Posts: 59

Why are people so oblivious.....

NOWHERE IS ESO SOLD FOR $10.00 ( there is a 30.00 hard copy on amazon)

Its like  you people don't do any research..... of any kind......ever. 

Please stop trolling this game, its much better then the rap it gets and its much better the the trolls who create infinite hatred post about it.

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by Innkwell

Why are people so oblivious.....

NOWHERE IS ESO SOLD FOR $10.00 ( there is a 30.00 hard copy on amazon)

Its like  you people don't do any research..... of any kind......ever. 

Please stop trolling this game, its much better then the rap it gets and its much better the the trolls who create infinite hatred post about it.

online prices and actual store prices at wallmart are often very different.  I'll see if i can get to a wallmart tonight or tommoroow and see for myself. 

Of course even it is isn't $10 there it is sill 29.99 at Amazon which even that much of a price drop only 2 months after launch is not a good thing.

Selling 400k units since May 31st is NOT a good sign. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70799/the-elder-scrolls-online/

even Warhammer Online managed to sell 750k its first month