Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full Alpha Access

124»

Comments

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    Originally posted by Greymantle4
    Originally posted by Holyavenger1
    Originally posted by ReaperUk
    The game will be huge, so much stuff to do, to compare it to Earthrise is a joke. Even the SWG vets are saying it's like Galaxies all over again. Game is super deep, house building, nation building, deep crafting, cool quest, tons of content. Earthrise had none of those.  Comparing the two is like:
     Any game that has forced pvp has nothing to do with SWG. The game also has a auction house another reason it's not like SWG. I could go on but that is a huge difference on why it's not like SWG.

It doesn't have forced PVP for about 2/3 of the landmass and the full range of content. SWG had battlegrounds where you were "forced" to PVP (ok, did they ever worked properly?), as well as the /declare pvp mechanic, so that's gonna be a rather similar experience from that perspective.

SWG had one auction house per planet, so you could hop accross really quickly to see all prices; you were just paying some extra depending on location, and.. did you have to go pickup the remote item in the appropriate city? Can't recall... so yeah, not the same there.

The forced pvp is where the player cities will be so that is not like SWG. The bazaar in SWG had a cap of like 3k so only newb stuff was for sale on it. The end game economy was all on merchant vendors that players put up to sell stuff.  AT some point don't remember when they gave the ability to see the vendors on the bazaar.

You have a point there. However, given how large the world will be and the mechanics around the player cities (direct transportation to/from major PVE hubs, force fields, towers/npcs defending), that coupled with the low engagement cost in PVP, I think that's a feature that will be possible to enjoy with very minimal PVP, maybe just the slight occasional excitement.

In terms of vendors, I haven't seen to much yet, but they've clearly stated there will be NPC vendors to sell people's stuff. Not sure if there will be limitations on the global AH : I still wish they change their minds on it being global, or somehow add restrictions to it (like extra "transportation" taxes depending on where the item was put up for sale, ala Darkfall). Some official answers here : https://www.therepopulation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5460#p75270.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The game will be huge, so much stuff to do, to compare it to Earthrise is a joke. Even the SWG vets are saying it's like Galaxies all over again. Game is super deep, house building, nation building, deep crafting, cool quest, tons of content. Earthrise had none of those.  Comparing the two is like:
     Any game that has forced pvp has nothing to do with SWG. The game also has a auction house another reason it's not like SWG. I could go on but that is a huge difference on why it's not like SWG.

It doesn't have forced PVP for about 2/3 of the landmass and the full range of content. SWG had battlegrounds where you were "forced" to PVP (ok, did they ever worked properly?), as well as the /declare pvp mechanic, so that's gonna be a rather similar experience from that perspective.

SWG had one auction house per planet, so you could hop accross really quickly to see all prices; you were just paying some extra depending on location, and.. did you have to go pickup the remote item in the appropriate city? Can't recall... so yeah, not the same there.

The forced pvp is where the player cities will be so that is not like SWG. The bazaar in SWG had a cap of like 3k so only newb stuff was for sale on it. The end game economy was all on merchant vendors that players put up to sell stuff.  AT some point don't remember when they gave the ability to see the vendors on the bazaar.

You have a point there. However, given how large the world will be and the mechanics around the player cities (direct transportation to/from major PVE hubs, force fields, towers/npcs defending), that coupled with the low engagement cost in PVP, I think that's a feature that will be possible to enjoy with very minimal PVP, maybe just the slight occasional excitement.

In terms of vendors, I haven't seen to much yet, but they've clearly stated there will be NPC vendors to sell people's stuff. Not sure if there will be limitations on the global AH : I still wish they change their minds on it being global, or somehow add restrictions to it (like extra "transportation" taxes depending on where the item was put up for sale, ala Darkfall). Some official answers here : https://www.therepopulation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5460#p75270.

In the end, the Repop is too focused on the PVP, and for SWG, it was never about the PVP, that was just one of the options that you could get involved with if you wanted to, it was never forced on you, so you were free to roam all the planets without exception, and without risk of constant harassment by other players, the game was more about cooperative gameplay than it was competitive, and i think that is the significant difference between the Repop and SWG and why the two games are really dissimilar, i think that is probably going to be the first hurdle that the Repop will face, as PVP games, are really not that popular.image

Originally posted by Phry

In the end, the Repop is too focused on the PVP, and for SWG, it was never about the PVP, that was just one of the options that you could get involved with if you wanted to, it was never forced on you, so you were free to roam all the planets without exception, and without risk of constant harassment by other players, the game was more about cooperative gameplay than it was competitive, and i think that is the significant difference between the Repop and SWG and why the two games are really dissimilar, i think that is probably going to be the first hurdle that the Repop will face, as PVP games, are really not that popular.image

That's a point : SWG was more exclusively PVE in terms of combat content (market PVP FTW), and it would be a really good point of TR was actually a PVP game but it isn't. 2/3 of the content (and the full range of tiers) will be located in PVE-only zones (well /declare zones, like SWG), including player housing.

The only feature that is exclusively PVP-zone is player Nations (cities) and there again they're putting in mechanics to ensure its not free-for-all.

Given that, I feel it is misleading to say that they are very dissimilar because they are not, at the root, different at all.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

This game doesn't have forced PVP. You can max skill and abilities completely in non PVP areas. You can also build houses in the open PVE world now. You can also setup a vendor shop in your open PVE housing plot. A lot has changed in the game, if you don't play alpha please do not make up false information like this. PVP areas are exactly just for that, for people who want to do PVP, you don't have to step foot in the PVP areas as they have zero advantage over PVE in the game now. It's all in the head, I suggest at least playing the game before spreading false information. PVP is completely optional.

Originally posted by Phry

This is not true read my post before this one. There is no forced PVP or focus on PVP in the game.

Originally posted by Retired
    I suggest at least playing the game before spreading false information. PVP is completely optional.

Or even reading what they have on the website, as I did, would help in that regard : they made it pretty clear : https://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/game-features.

• UncleTopherUncleTopher Member UncommonPosts: 36

man I cannot remember a time or a  game that has more uninformed people making semi-accurate claims about it. I guess people talking about it at all is a good thing.

As far as the 100 bucks I had to drop to gain access. At first I thought "no fu$#ing way"....but then....I did some research, got a feel for the owners / developers. 

Then I considered it an investment. There is nothing else out there, MMO-wise, but carbon copy cookie cutter crap and i am sick of it. If I can have an active role in this games' development cycles (yes active...there is a lot of developer / tester communication) then it is win win for me. I mean....$100 bucks? Don't go out to dinner one time and there ya go.

Worth every penny so far. Not trying to be a fanboy....just sayin. Think about it.

Tophiate
    Co-Founder of Elder Moot
    SotA Founder

Originally posted by UncleTopher

man I cannot remember a time or a  game that has more uninformed people making semi-accurate claims about it. 

Lol, aww c'mon, happens all the time!

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

IIRC, Alpha and beta tests are to test to game for the company. You are testing the game for them, they should be paying you, not the other way around.

I don't understand the mentality of modern gamers, you're paying 3x the price of a AAA launch version game on a buggy, half-done 'dream' of a game that might never even see the light of day. What is wrong with you?!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by Fusion

IIRC, Alpha and beta tests are to test to game for the company. You are testing the game for them, they should be paying you, not the other way around.

I don't understand the mentality of modern gamers, you're paying 3x the price of a AAA launch version game on a buggy, half-done 'dream' of a game that might never even see the light of day. What is wrong with you?!

No one is forcing you to do anything. I'd rather pay 3x as much testing a real sandbox than the combined money you paid for subs in all the WOW clones you have listed in your signature.

Also you are paying sub cost in your AAA mmo, we aren't, amounts to the same price in what...6 months.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Retired

No one is forcing you to do anything. I'd rather pay 3x as much testing a real sandbox than the combined money you paid for subs in all the WOW clones you have listed in your signature.

Also you are paying sub cost in your AAA mmo, we aren't, amounts to the same price in what...6 months.

Nothing he said was out of line, he was being real about the whole fiasco, sure it gives you the wanton player the early access to something you probably will be wishing when playing said access was already complete and pining for it till release anyhow.

Also Alpha test pertains to internal testing which is done by employees on a salary/payroll.. It was in no way unfair to say they should be paying the tester not the other way around.

Its fine you wish to pay 3x the amount blah blah thats all good its your choice but don't dismiss the facts.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

If you have faith in the game and developers, go for it, if you don't, move on. It is as simple as that. I don't know what the big deal is.

I starting to believe some gamer's want everything for nothing these days. If you can't fork over $150, then just wait till the game comes out and it will cost you nothing, just your time.

Originally posted by wyldmagik

Nothing he said was out of line, he was being real about the whole fiasco, sure it gives you the wanton player the early access to something you probably will be wishing when playing said access was already complete and pining for it till release anyhow.

Also Alpha test pertains to internal testing which is done by employees on a salary/payroll.. It was in no way unfair to say they should be paying the tester not the other way around.

Its fine you wish to pay 3x the amount blah blah thats all good its your choice but don't dismiss the facts.

Try telling that to the thousands of devs that have been fortunate enough to release great games through Kickstarter and crowdfunding. You do not understand how business works  unfortunately. If you watch some of Marc Jacobs blogs about why he did crowdfunding you will soon understand how developing a game as an indie cost massive amounts of money, that you cannot borrow in this day and age. Do you think someone would give Chris Roberts 65 million to make Star Citizen as well as cut some of that budget to internal testers (mind you they need thousands of testers)? We might as well throw away Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Star Citizen, Repopulation, Camelot Unchained, Pathfinder, Shroud of the Avatar. All were achieved by the method you are against. As I said to the other guy, no one is forcing you to do anything. You can wait till release and be happy, others would like to help make these games possible by supporting development. Without people like myself and other early access supporters these games would not exist.

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286

On the one hand some people here are right with the statement, that its weird that you have to pay to test a game. (you pay them to do the work for them)

In the other hand I see it more like: Im paying for the game to play it (and also helping it to become succesfull with testing). They could have released it already unfinished as it is (as many other companies did already) .

So if the game is good mechanics wise its a win-win situation for both.

Fans can play it and the devs dont have to release it to early and can polish it.

I always assuming beta buy-ins of about 20-50 Bucks for newly developed games, not something like the 150$ cash grab from ArcheAge where you paid for a game that is already 2 years on the market. I mean you paid for translation and cash shop testing and the cash shop is a debacle in this game .

tl;dr 

If I like the game and can help the devs to develop the game further without releasing (and the chance to fail because of an unfinished game) I see it a win-win situation to pay for beta.

But normally and especially for big companies with lots of money it shouldnt be the case, to pay them for doing work for them.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Worth every penny so far. Not trying to be a fanboy....just sayin. Think about it.

It is funny though how people like you are not hit on these forums with thier NDA, while others are. Wonder what the difference is...

Originally posted by hfztt

It is funny though how people like you are not hit on these forums with thier NDA, while others are. Wonder what the difference is...

Is saying that one likes a game against the NDA?

Also, do you have examples of posts to point out where people got punished under the NDA for posting them?