Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swordsman online discussion.

2»

Comments

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl
    Originally posted by Silentstorm

double tap dodging is no different from goose step.. the only difference is that you press dodge twice instead of just once.

I just hope they'll allow you to rebind the dodge modifier to a key on your mouse or something. After that things like goose step will also be pretty much the same.

I feel pretty much the same as you about everything. The game is fine.. it's not a sandbox.. so after wushu.. you have to do some adjusting.. but other than that.. the combat is completely different... and it has it's own learning curve.. same as wushu.. just have to dive in and get some experience. after i got my second set.. i finally started to enjoy myself... btw.. I picked up Splendor school.

I am playing Splendor also and I must say the second set really does make the combat seems so much more enjoyable! image

edit: I noticed though that even though I am using my second set only my first set skills are the ones leveling. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

No signature, I don't have a pen

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Lazarus71

double tap dodging is no different from goose step.. the only difference is that you press dodge twice instead of just once.

I just hope they'll allow you to rebind the dodge modifier to a key on your mouse or something. After that things like goose step will also be pretty much the same.

I feel pretty much the same as you about everything. The game is fine.. it's not a sandbox.. so after wushu.. you have to do some adjusting.. but other than that.. the combat is completely different... and it has it's own learning curve.. same as wushu.. just have to dive in and get some experience. after i got my second set.. i finally started to enjoy myself... btw.. I picked up Splendor school.

I am playing Splendor also and I must say the second set really does make the combat seems so much more enjoyable! image

edit: I noticed though that even though I am using my second set only my first set skills are the ones leveling. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

I heard that it's meant to be that way.. i guess you can't level it till you get the third set.. or finish leveling the first.. no idea.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

I question what you guys think good combat is. Because combat is one of the things Wushu does the worst.

Almost every skill is buggy has almost no character to body recognition. And the entire system is trumped by spin to win attacks. How the hell could you say that is better than SO combat? To me that is just fan boys talking in denial. And this is from someone who has done more reviews then majority of people on Wushu.

Just stop lying to yourselves and us on that. If you want to say it's better sand box fine. Better trade skills fine. But gtfo on combat that's a total lie. I'm not even going to let that one slide.

Combat, Story, Graphics, Movement, Character Customization, Dungeons, Gear Swordsman Beats Age of Wushu badly in. Only thing Wushu can hang it's hat on is sand box elements. Also don't forget Wushu's story is linear as hell too. It's just hidden in the sand. Not to mention the times it forces you into 6 man dungeons no one does. Because the game is really low pop for a long time.

Just stop the denial wushu fans it's better get over it.

Dude, seriously. Why can't you understand that people like different things?

Swordsman's combat is hard to compare to Wushu's. AoW's combat focuses on tactical thinking and moves that take priority over other moves. I like Swordsman's skill too, but it's more straight out in your face action.

"Almost every skill is buggy", is a gross exaggeration, what skills are buggy? Some are yes, most work as intented. The rest can be attributed to crappy server infrastructure and lag. The latter also bugged me seriously today as well in Swordsman, as my Sun and Moon Cult character's leaps went anywhere but the intented target.

"Spin to win attacks?" How long did you even play AoW? If you couldn't beat spin to win you never encountered the truly difficult combo's. Their combat system isn't for everyone, just like SO's won't be for everyone. There's no need to crap on eachother.

About the combat in SO: I've been starting to enjoy it a lot more now that I've got my second school style. I should get level 40 tomorrow for the third style. After that I plan to kind of dig into PvP as much as I can for the remainder of the Beta. Apparently there are actually ways of getting the skills of other schools later on, I didn't expect that, so that's a cool surprise.

Oh really let me see you stop someone with the stick of doom. At max level just spinning around an entire school killing everything that dare come near him.....

But the main reason for the buggy skils, is that the engine the game is on. Is not meant for fast 3d collision. They went in house and wanted to make a expansive engine. Well they made that but forgot to worry about collision in game. Because it's not just the skills that has a problem. Collision is a problem through out the game. So that's the best they can do with it. They would need something like Game Byro or Cry Engine to get things smooth. But this is Snail we talking about. They won't license cry engine for a game already pretty much dead in the US. Most of Snail's resources is being pooled into Black Gold.

And again I'll say it to the AoW fans you're in denial if you can say with a straight face. That AoW skills aren't horribly broken coded and have bad collision. I mean seriously do I have to make a montage. Don't lie on the web its uncalled for. You can be a fan without ignoring the obvious. I'm a fan of the game too have videos with views over 10,000. But I'm not going to lie for a game just to be fan.

(Something interesting someone pointed out to me. Black Gold has some of the same skill problems wushu has. But on a totally different engine. So it may not be the engine in wushu it may just be whose programming it)

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

And again I'll say it to the AoW fans you're in denial if you can say with a straight face. That AoW skills aren't horribly broken coded and have bad collision. I mean seriously do I have to make a montage.

Please do so, you were asked to support this claim of yours already...

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Ok, I'll going try to end this ridiculous debate. I type this as I've passed level 40 in the Zephyr school and am currently using a combination of all 3 styles.  I spent hours dueling yesterday - not a lot, but I have more insight than I did before.

Biggest difference between AoW and Swordsman is how you chain skills together.  Dropping a big combo on an opponent is extremely meaningful because it is *harder* than AoW.  Sure, you may grab an opponent and toss them in the air - but they can spin out with a QTE-Space.  You can break certain combos with QTE.  This means you need to find other ways of stunning or debuffing your opponent prior to entering you primary combo. 

Both games have, what I called, superarmor (called Stable in Swordsman).  Some skills make you flash white (same as AoW) and this prevent certain debuffs.

Now I'm going to clarify some statements made about AoW.  If you think scholar spin "to win" was OP - you were trash.  Period.  It was a fantastic initiation in mass PvP, but fairly slow moving, predictable, and couldn't be stopped.  The set was useless in dueling, I used Lotus Palm and I destroyed people that tried this.  If you are going to complain about balance, it was from Shaolin.  LSB for dueling and Bodhi for mass PvP.

Collision issues DID exist because the z-axis was not universally tracked.  If you couldn't run UP something, you probably could abuse LoS in some way.  This was far from game breaking though.

All in all, I am enjoying Swordsman combat now that I have most of the system at my disposal.  Custom sets are definitely the way to go and depending on the situation, you want a different custom setup.  I've found nothing that works well for PvE, mass PvP, and dueling.  I'm disappointed that you are locked into one custom set without paying Sycee (which I'm assuming is cash shop currency). 

Last night, an enemy school invaded our "dojo" and we had to beat them back to the spawn point.  I don't know how that happened, but it at least shows that school invasions are possible and will play a role in the game.

In terms of sandboxyness (you know what I mean) - Swordsman is pretty much a linear themepark with a little sand thrown in for variety.  You can build and upgrade things within your guild dojo and crafting exists - albeit somewhat tranditional.  I've personally termed these games sandparks and I think Swordsman falls pretty close to that.  AoW was more free form, for sure...but that freedom wasn't very well executed and frequently devolved into monotonous grind.

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    well, swordsman is all in all a huge dissapointment for me. It plays like a jade dynasty/ forsaken world reskin. Yes, it has flashy mocap animation which look good, but thats about everthing that looks good. The engine seems to be about +10 years old, it  looks bad. As for the promised action combat, its fake. you cant move even while doing basic attacks, and its not the kind of root like in Neverwinter which lets you move instantly when you dont press a button. Here it sticks you for as long as the animation lasts which constequently kills all feeling of 'action-combat'. The other control modes are typical JD/PW/FW cruise control modes. autopath here, press r, autopath there, auto-start attacking mob. no need to target anything, just press a skill button and the game automaticaly selects the nearest enemy to attack. its a joke. the story, dear lord, is as cheesy as it gets. Its like a really bad kung-fu-movie plot that blazes through on steroids. everything happens so fast it makes your head spin. for example: after a kill quest you return to town only to find some girl massacred on the floor of the town square, some message in chinses written with her blood. literary seconds later you go into a instanced mission/cut-scene where some cartoon-villain perfroms a banana-peel-slip joke. yeah, thats as deep as the story gets. all in all the game is garbage
  • AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by mithoss
    well, swordsman is all in all a huge dissapointment for me. It plays like a jade dynasty/ forsaken world reskin. Yes, it has flashy mocap animation which look good, but thats about everthing that looks good. The engine seems to be about +10 years old, it  looks bad. As for the promised action combat, its fake. you cant move even while doing basic attacks, and its not the kind of root like in Neverwinter which lets you move instantly when you dont press a button. Here it sticks you for as long as the animation lasts which constequently kills all feeling of 'action-combat'. The other control modes are typical JD/PW/FW cruise control modes. autopath here, press r, autopath there, auto-start attacking mob. no need to target anything, just press a skill button and the game automaticaly selects the nearest enemy to attack. its a joke. the story, dear lord, is as cheesy as it gets. Its like a really bad kung-fu-movie plot that blazes through on steroids. everything happens so fast it makes your head spin. for example: after a kill quest you return to town only to find some girl massacred on the floor of the town square, some message in chinses written with her blood. literary seconds later you go into a instanced mission/cut-scene where some cartoon-villain perfroms a banana-peel-slip joke. yeah, thats as deep as the story gets. all in all the game is garbage

Mostly agree...except that the engine is practically brand new.  I think the game looks really good, but graphics aren't what really matter to me.

I personally prefer hybrid combat system.  Twitch systems are way overrated.  Combat seems slow, but you haven't seen what combat actually is until level 40.  That takes about 2-3 days to hit.  Heck, you don't even have the option to block until level 40.  Some animations are long, which makes the combat more about timing than mashing together sweet combos.  It's almost the same as AoW in that respect.  You want to be blocking or dodging and then punish a missed attack.

Yes, the PvE is lackluster.  It's way too easy.  I mean *WAY* too easy.  There needs to be more reason to dodge around.  It does get marginally harder by level 40.  You stop one combo'ing groups of mobs at that point.  Ranged classes will have issues kiting due to reset range.  That needs to be addressed before release.

I sorta like the story - Swordsman clearly embraces cheesy wuxia and some of us find that charming.  Great move in keeping the Chinese voiceovers.  It's like a Bollywood movie, just enjoy the cheese.  Don't be so serious.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Oh really let me see you stop someone with the stick of doom. At max level just spinning around an entire school killing everything that dare come near him.....

But the main reason for the buggy skils, is that the engine the game is on. Is not meant for fast 3d collision. They went in house and wanted to make a expansive engine. Well they made that but forgot to worry about collision in game. Because it's not just the skills that has a problem. Collision is a problem through out the game. So that's the best they can do with it. They would need something like Game Byro or Cry Engine to get things smooth. But this is Snail we talking about. They won't license cry engine for a game already pretty much dead in the US. Most of Snail's resources is being pooled into Black Gold.

And again I'll say it to the AoW fans you're in denial if you can say with a straight face. That AoW skills aren't horribly broken coded and have bad collision. I mean seriously do I have to make a montage. Don't lie on the web its uncalled for. You can be a fan without ignoring the obvious. I'm a fan of the game too have videos with views over 10,000. But I'm not going to lie for a game just to be fan.

(Something interesting someone pointed out to me. Black Gold has some of the same skill problems wushu has. But on a totally different engine. So it may not be the engine in wushu it may just be whose programming it)

Ok, so you were talking about the Shaolin's Bodhidharma Stick skill instead of the Scholar's spin (which is usually the one called "spin to win").

That technique is indeed very potent in mass pvp.

However, it is very straightforward to counter in duels and small scale pvp. Unless you were just mindlessly charging them through the air. The skillset has fairly long animations coupled with a low priority rating, allowing you to counter easily with a host of other styles. Generally just using a few well-timed charges on the shaolin would be enough to make them switch to the Weituo or Longboxing style, which are both far more potent in small scale pvp.

I'm sorry but your complaints simply speak volumes about your actual playing experience in AoW.

As for Swordsman, I've almost hit level 42 and have taken part in a number of duels (playing Sun & Moon clan). I did suck in the PvP at first, badly so.

This was mostly because many of the effects on the skills are badly explained (like AoW) and pretty much the only way to see what skill takes prio over another is to take the beating head-on.

After a while I did start to do better, even reaching a 10x unbroken streak and managed to keep slightly above 50% wins / losses. However, that's when my latency caught up to me and everything went down the drain.

Swordsman is definitely more dependant on latency than AoW so far, as its combat is more freeform action. I also do not enjoy the channeled stationary blocking or the aforementioned double tap dodging which you can't rebind.

The game did open up a lot over the last few levels and I can see some definite social infrastructure as well. WIth guild fights, arena contests, various events and so forth.

However, the leveling grind remains a major detractor for me (it has an integrated botting function ffs). Any interesting questing sort of fell flat long ago at this point.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!