Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you like WoW, you'll adore Wildstar

mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

I've been a WoW fan and player since day 1 and have all the expansions.  I'll probably buy the next one too and play it, as I like WoW and always played the expansions.  I'd be curious as to what I'm missing otherwise.

But I have to say that Wildstar has blown me away.  It's like having the best bits of all themepark MMOs and putting them into one, and then adding other stuff, making it all really polished, nice graphics and actions and lots of interesting ideas.

There's a tonne of things to do and admittedly, I didn't play the beta but I poked my nose in as I'd run out of content in WoW.  Trouble in, whilst I will probably play WoD when it comes out, my main game is now Wildstar because it's so up to date and fresh and feels like it has the longevity.  We've had a good 8 or so years of WoW, but Wildstar is WoW+ and there's no direct comparison as it seems to do everything better.

If Blizzard would be a bit more readiy to deliver content to keep things ticking along, I may not even have experienced Wildstar.  Now, I'm hooked.

This is not a hate WoW post btw.  That game has served me well and I'm sure it still will, but I really didn't see Wildstar coming and it's worth checking out if you haven't.  If WoW is and will always been your game, it'll still give you something to do for 6 months.

Comments

• SethiusXSethiusX Member Posts: 171
    I agree, Wildstar is a great game in a similar vein as WoW. I'm an avid WoW player, and I will certainly play Wildstar as well now. I think it's great to have some competition, and perhaps this will make Blizzard think twice about not releasing content for a year at a time like the current drought. To that end, I'm wishing Wildstar success for its own good, and hopefully the good of WoW too. 
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Agreed with the OP. WoW fans should give this game a shot. It's pretty much WoW with slightly altered combat. It has it's low points and it's high points, but should keep people entertained till WoD is released.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Yeah... and people said the same thing with GW2 and SWTOR.

And don't try to suger coat stuff, this is a hate post as you pretty much saying WoW sux WS is much better with "but Wildstar is WoW+ and there's no direct comparison as it seems to do everything better."  Especially since you posted in the WoW forums.

Every new MMO that comes out people go rant and raving bout how great the game is n 2-4 months down the road either go back to their MMO before said MMO released or go back to a break of MMO.

WS might be a solid MMO but it has yet to stand the test of longevity, lets see where it stands by the end of the year.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

Sorry you didn't read my post properly.  I'll make it more brief for you.

I'm a WoW player and fan (hence me posting here).  There's a content gap.  I tried Wildstar.  It's great. WoW players will probably like it.  Worth checking it out.  I'm saying it so people might check it out.  It's a solid 2014 game and people might like it.

And I am a WoW fan and the game doesn't need people like you defending it against non-attacks.  It's fine on it's own and perhaps you could be a little more open-minded and not so defensive.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I like WoW and enjoy playing it but I hated Wildstar. I guess not all WoW players will be the same.
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

As a WoW player i can not stand the childish humor and grafics of Wildstar. And i dislike action combat, even if it is only semi action.

Am i the only one seeing a difference between wow and wildstar grafics? Sure wow is cartoony, but it looks like a cartoon an adult would watch. Wildstar looks like the 3 year old over the top childish series that just make you turn of the TV.

For ME wildstar just went too far in the grafic and "humor" department. I can not take this game serious enough to want to play it, and i really tried to like it (just like ESO, meh).

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Looks like a great game, I put in about 25hours during open beta. I just cant get past the animations, especially the running animations. Animations have always been a pet peeve of mine. I tried for 24 and a half hours to look past them, but I just couldn't. Props to all who are enjoying it though. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Wildstar is the game that made me go back to WoW amusingly enough.
    Originally posted by Elevenb4
    Looks like a great game, I put in about 25hours during open beta. I just cant get past the animations, especially the running animations. Animations have always been a pet peeve of mine. I tried for 24 and a half hours to look past them, but I just couldn't. Props to all who are enjoying it though. 

Yea that's one of my main gripes as well. Couple that with feeling like your character is on ice skates and the combat is much less intuitive than say WoW or ESO or GW2, and WS does have some downsides.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I love WOW. I recently went back to it again to get my characters leveled up for WOD expansion.  And yes that was after playing Wildstar beta extensively.

So yeah i love WOW but have no interest in Wildstar.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• IntheShadowsIntheShadows Member Posts: 58

I kind of agree with you. Both games are very solid and I've had fun with them. However, I am not playing Wildstar and I don't plan on playing for a few reasons...

1. It's embarrassing how terrible I am with the action combat. Yes, I could practice and get better, but the other reasons keep me from caring to do that.

2. Wildstar is a bit too crazy for me. When I walk around Azeroth it is a very relaxing experience, not on Nexus. There are mobs all over the place, text message things are chirping at me constantly, tons of quests popping up, and a overly excited announcer letting me know when I level up and kill more than 1 thing at a time. I like to kick back and chill when I'm in game.

3. I'm done with the gear treadmill. I already play 2-3 games where I manage to ignore raiding, I don't need another.

This is all just my opinion. I'm not putting down either game. :)

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

I'm a WoW gamer myself, I did end up getting Wildstar, as I tend to purchase every MMO (minus ESO). After a week with it. I am not all that impressed, the combat is cool sure, but I can't stand the questing, and the chaos as someone else had posted about.

Wildstar actually made me pick GW2 back up and I am loving my thief, the questing is good and the story so far is much better. The gear treadmill is in fact tiresome as well. Wildstar isn't a bad game by any means, I just am not enjoying as much as others seem to be.

I think a main issue was the amount of quests/tasks you get in an area (very over whelming) and then to group up with someone is a pain because everyone is working on something different even if they are in the same zone.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Don't get me wrong. Copying WoW or Daoc or EQ is a GREAT way to get my interest. Also Pay to Play is my prefered model and i WANT new games to succed using it.

Wildstar just build upon WoW in the wrong direction,... i actually like cartoony grafics, to a point. But this just went overboard, by a lot. Same with animations and combat. It just feels so damn childish :-(

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

Just to mock the guy who made a post how WoW is in damage control.

OMG, you are posting in the WoW section to advertise your game, the game must be failing so much that you have to come here to defend it and get more people to play...lol

/sarcasm

Im playing right now in the friend trail and it seems ok though. As an avid wow player who is taking a break for now until WoD. Knowing that I probably wont be buying Wildstar, its a fun game but so far it doesnt seem like it has any staying power, only lvl 12 so thats probably one reason why I havent seen anything but the game isnt making me want it long term yet. Im trucking along though, played it about 3 hours already today.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I played wow from alpha to almost the end of cata, then again very briefly during panda. I LOVED wow in the beginning (obviously since I played it for six years) but I can't play what wow is now. I've played every major mmo since war came out...aoc, tera, aion, ff14, etc...the only one I put ant serious time in since wow was rift...and I'm still a fan of that game. So I've started playing ws, and I do get a little of that wow feeling I had a long time ago, and so far I'm liking it...much better than eso anyhow
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by WalterWhite
    I like WoW and enjoy playing it but I hated Wildstar. I guess not all WoW players will be the same.

This. 

WoW has a better story, better systems, the graphics are even more detailed as of the next expansion (if you care about graphics).  And the combat is really not that good.  Certainly more in-depth than WoW's though, I'd agree with that.  I don't HATE Wildstar, but I don't think it's a terribly impressive product.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by mark2123

I've been a WoW fan and player since day 1 and have all the expansions.  I'll probably buy the next one too and play it, as I like WoW and always played the expansions.  I'd be curious as to what I'm missing otherwise.

But I have to say that Wildstar has blown me away.  It's like having the best bits of all themepark MMOs and putting them into one, and then adding other stuff, making it all really polished, nice graphics and actions and lots of interesting ideas.

There's a tonne of things to do and admittedly, I didn't play the beta but I poked my nose in as I'd run out of content in WoW.  Trouble in, whilst I will probably play WoD when it comes out, my main game is now Wildstar because it's so up to date and fresh and feels like it has the longevity.  We've had a good 8 or so years of WoW, but Wildstar is WoW+ and there's no direct comparison as it seems to do everything better.

If Blizzard would be a bit more readiy to deliver content to keep things ticking along, I may not even have experienced Wildstar.  Now, I'm hooked.

This is not a hate WoW post btw.  That game has served me well and I'm sure it still will, but I really didn't see Wildstar coming and it's worth checking out if you haven't.  If WoW is and will always been your game, it'll still give you something to do for 6 months.

How come I do not feel this way and I am a huge wow fan? I uninstalled after hitting lvl 15 and felt it had a disconnect of my toon from the world.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by WalterWhite

This. 

WoW has a better story, better systems, the graphics are even more detailed as of the next expansion (if you care about graphics).  And the combat is really not that good.  Certainly more in-depth than WoW's though, I'd agree with that.  I don't HATE Wildstar, but I don't think it's a terribly impressive product.

Interestingly enough one of the main reasons I don't think wildstar is that impressive is because of the combat and its lack of depth. Which is in addition to everything else you mentioned. 

In this case its more opinion OP, people will really like this game and sub for a while, people will hate it and not renew or even purchase, and of course people will buy into hype and then find themselves bored.  Saying if you like WoW means you're sure to like wildstar I think is very very false.  While they are both very similar in structure, they are also very different.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by mark2123

Sorry you didn't read my post properly.  I'll make it more brief for you.

I'm a WoW player and fan (hence me posting here).  There's a content gap.  I tried Wildstar.  It's great. WoW players will probably like it.  Worth checking it out.  I'm saying it so people might check it out.  It's a solid 2014 game and people might like it.

And I am a WoW fan and the game doesn't need people like you defending it against non-attacks.  It's fine on it's own and perhaps you could be a little more open-minded and not so defensive.

I don't think you read your own title correctly. You title doesn't say "If you like WOW, you might adore Wildstar". It implies you will. You explanation explains it better, so you might want to update your title. I HATED WIldstar and loved WOW back in the day. Maybe if Wildstar was released in 2004 I would have liked it better. Then again I could say that about a lot of games.

There Is Always Hope!

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Odd to hear WoW fans complaining about the graphics and childish humor of WS.  The games look almost identical!.   I guess this is all very personal but I consider them one and the same. 
  • BravnikBravnik Member UncommonPosts: 158

WOW - The challenge in WOW died years ago. WOTLK was the last straw for me as the game totally became casual only. Meaning it's made for those people that want everything for as little effort as possible.

I suspect Wildstar is just more of the same. A game made for kids who don't care for a real challenge but want all the cool loots and feel like they accomplished something when in reality it was handed too them with nothing really earned. Risk vs Reward? Not a term known or understood by anyone currently playing WOW!

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Bravnik

WOW - The challenge in WOW died years ago. WOTLK was the last straw for me as the game totally became casual only. Meaning it's made for those people that want everything for as little effort as possible.

I suspect Wildstar is just more of the same. A game made for kids who don't care for a real challenge but want all the cool loots and feel like they accomplished something when in reality it was handed too them with nothing really earned. Risk vs Reward? Not a term known or understood by anyone currently playing WOW!

I assume you've raided progression and completed all of WoW's heroic raid bosses from Cata - MoP right? Totally.  You don't know what you're talking about. Sorry.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Chrisbox

I assume you've raided progression and completed all of WoW's heroic raid bosses from Cata - MoP right? Totally.  You don't know what you're talking about. Sorry.

Hate to disagree but WoW's heroics aren't very heroic. If I could pug/guild alliance my way to the end boss in SoO on heroic, it's not difficult content.

Note: No I didn't kill him, but we made it to Garrosh before anyone gets their panties in a wad.

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

I always love this. Only 1% of players have beat the last boss so far but somehow that means that WoW is catering to casuals. If you would be so kind to tell me your gamertag I will look up how many Heroic bosses you killed during LK or so I can see which bosses you killed during BC...

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by Rattenmann

As a WoW player i can not stand the childish humor and grafics of Wildstar. 

This ^.  Let me make this an easy decision for everyone...

If you like the obligatory "poo" joke quests we get every expansion in WoW, you probably will like Wildstar.  

If you think the "poo" jokes are unnecessary childish humor that Blizzard somehow thinks is funny (and Blizzard actually does have a great sense of humor, minus the poo)...then Wildstar is probably not for you.