Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My personal views on the viability of ESO

Comments

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Igguns

I was going to let ESO pass initially.  Then one day, out of the blue, I saw a Youtube video narrated by a very smooth talking person who did an absolutely wonderful job of outlining and demonstrating some of the quite awesome features of the game.  After watching that I was sold.  I immediately bought the $80.00 version as I was sold that this was going to be awesome.

After about 1.5 - 2 weeks of playing, I could not play the game more than about 1.5 - 2 hours per setting without feeling tired and wanting to take a nap.  I asked myself, what is wrong?  I kept at it for about another week, hoping for something to inspire me within the game that would refresh/ignite a desire to continue.  It never happened. 

I leveled 2 characters to 30ish.  I crafted tons.  I was a bookshelf/basket searching ore whore fool.  Upon creating my 2nd char, I found about shared bank space.  If it hasn't been mentioned already, the limited shared bank space across all characters was a huge detractor for me.

Lessons learned.  Never buy a game until after reading both positive and negative reviews from ordinary people who are playing.  Never buy into hype from developers and never buy into hype from smooth talking Youtube narrators.  I'll be very patient in the future I promise.  :)

^^Even though I don't believe it's necessary to state, the above is merely my opinion and my experiences as I interpret them so no panty bunching k? hehe

You had me laughing, mostly because I could relate to your post 100%.  Now if only the original poster had chosen this route, I'd have gained maybe an iota of respect for them.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Gilllean

Balance issues in PVP ....   NB that spam 1 skill few times and your dead

Omg! I NEED TO KNOW THE NAME OF THIS SKILL!

pm me, i will keep it a secrete. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • JoeyjojoshabaduJoeyjojoshabadu Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by BartDaCat

I was going to let ESO pass initially.  Then one day, out of the blue, I saw a Youtube video narrated by a very smooth talking person who did an absolutely wonderful job of outlining and demonstrating some of the quite awesome features of the game.  After watching that I was sold.  I immediately bought the $80.00 version as I was sold that this was going to be awesome.

After about 1.5 - 2 weeks of playing, I could not play the game more than about 1.5 - 2 hours per setting without feeling tired and wanting to take a nap.  I asked myself, what is wrong?  I kept at it for about another week, hoping for something to inspire me within the game that would refresh/ignite a desire to continue.  It never happened. 

I leveled 2 characters to 30ish.  I crafted tons.  I was a bookshelf/basket searching ore whore fool.  Upon creating my 2nd char, I found about shared bank space.  If it hasn't been mentioned already, the limited shared bank space across all characters was a huge detractor for me.

Lessons learned.  Never buy a game until after reading both positive and negative reviews from ordinary people who are playing.  Never buy into hype from developers and never buy into hype from smooth talking Youtube narrators.  I'll be very patient in the future I promise.  :)

^^Even though I don't believe it's necessary to state, the above is merely my opinion and my experiences as I interpret them so no panty bunching k? hehe

You had me laughing, mostly because I could relate to your post 100%.  Now if only the original poster had chosen this route, I'd have gained maybe an iota of respect for them.

And if you hadn't said eye-rollingly foolish things like accusing me of being a Carbine rep I'd have some respect for your views as well. It's a two-way street. BTW, I completely agree with what Igguns says as well. His experience mirrors mine quite closely.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    I don't see how this Carbine Marketing Rep.. er... excuse me.. "Gamer" could get in enough valid play time to give a reliable opinion on ESO's viability, considering how much time they are spending here on this thread trying to refute anyone's opinion to the contrary.

LOL, they don't have to do it themselves, this firm is doing it for them.

http://www.ayzenberg.com/#/clients/

• BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    The proofs in the game. Play it. It's not a very good game. I really wish it was. But its boring . Whats the next game up?
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Joeyjojoshabadu

"You know the one thing you were missing was the silver bullet. You're missing the actual, real, verifiable evidence that supports your assertion that it's a failure. Instead you provide anecdotal evidence"

I have openly agreed that I have no sub numbers - ZOS have not provided any. Therefore what we have is supportive evidence, but I feel it paints a fairly clear picture. Naturally, you're free to disagree.

I have to say I totally disagree. But not that you are wrong because you are not due to your own experiance.

I so not encounter much of the issue's many seem to have. I am not even level 20, though have 3 toons level 17 and one 19. While sometimes 2 of my characters walk the same path, each of them playes his role there for makes the experiance different.

I take my time as said many times I am a experiance gamer. So no reason to get to cap level with in a few month even if it's possible. Besides it's a ES game I don't need to be led by quest, I want to get immersed into it's world. TESO proves me that.

Some playsessions might be just exploring, resource gathering, sometimes with shorter playsessions I sort out my inventory/banks. Sometimes trade with others, occasionally group. Spend time on my crafts.

I often get into places I am not supose to be considering my level

image  image

But it's fun, ESO provides this type of freedom to explore and even complete a mission way above my level but being very carefull/sneaking around because I don't stand a chance fighting. Which in turn gives me something to look forward to when able to fight.

Let me be clear the game has issue's no denying there. But a MMORPG needs time even after release because a MMORPG is never done and it has been this way since well the first MMORPG. And while certain aspects have improved many innovations are still doing babysteps but unfortunaly many are to impatient because they want it now and want it all sorry to say.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Reklaw

But it's fun, ESO provides this type of freedom to explore and even complete a mission way above my level but being very carefull/sneaking around because I don't stand a chance fighting. Which in turn gives me something to look forward to when able to fight.

Be careful with that. I have a level 42 character that has done all quests in each zone, gathered all skyshards, done each dungeon, done each group dungeon, basically done everything there is to do and I have run out of stuff...I now have to grind a few levels just to get the next story quest.

Had no problem of the 2 character I have at V1 but my level 42 evaded combat a lot of the time. Just a bit of advice.

• IggunsIgguns Member UncommonPosts: 71

Glad I could give you a laugh.  Just wanted to point out that my dislike of the limited shared space, while the only detractor specifically mentioned was not the only one. I didn't feel it necessary to repeat what has been noted by others multiple times.  I say this so Joe Schmoe doesn't come to the conclusion that I dislike the game based solely upon the banking system in the game. 

When posting on MMORPG.com, one must be careful about these things.  One might state something that seems very clear to the poster but the trolls are always looking for a way to interpret one's words and twist them into what was not intended.  Haha

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

And if you hadn't said eye-rollingly foolish things like accusing me of being a Carbine rep I'd have some respect for your views as well. It's a two-way street. BTW, I completely agree with what Igguns says as well. His experience mirrors mine quite closely.

OP this would have been interesting two months ago ....now you are just boring ,I'll agree it's foolish to have accused you of being a Carbine Rep (I'm sure they have better things to do then come to ESO forums )but if you like to play cartoons your future is bright .Just watch the door on your way out

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Angry Joe made an extremely detailed review of ESO, which highlighted all the shortcomings of ESO, and he provided loads of evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov3B26h12C4

If you need further convincing that ESO isn't up to par, I don't know what to say to you.

Sorry, but AngryJoe is the last guy you want to take advice from on what MMO's to play/not play.  The guy has little to no experience playing these types of games.  He gave Guild Wars 2 a 10/10 despite all of its flaws and shortcomings.  Why? Probably because it plays more like the single player games he plays on consoles.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Setzer
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Angry Joe made an extremely detailed review of ESO, which highlighted all the shortcomings of ESO, and he provided loads of evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov3B26h12C4

If you need further convincing that ESO isn't up to par, I don't know what to say to you.

Sorry, but AngryJoe is the last guy you want to take advice from on what MMO's to play/not play.  The guy has little to no experience playing these types of games.  He gave Guild Wars 2 a 10/10 despite all of its flaws and shortcomings.  Why? Probably because it plays more like the single player games he plays on consoles.

It's like me basing my decision to buy the next Lamb of God album based on Simon Cowells opinion. :)

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Personally, ESO didn't live up to the standards I expect out of a MMO. Then again, most don't. 
  • SammuelSKSammuelSK Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Gilllean
    Balance issues in PVP ....   NB that spam 1 skill few times and your dead

Unkillable DKs

So.. DK's are unkillable, and NB's can kill everyone. I can't be the only one thats seeing a problem with this.

The rest, sounds like you burned yourself out in a rush to get to endgame... and now are complaining that there's nothing left to do. I've heard that complaint before in every MMO I've ever played(hint: Its a lot of them), wtf is the rush?

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    This isn't proof, but Eso is on sale for 50% off at AmazonBest Buy, and GameStop two months after release.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    This isn't proof, but Eso is on sale for 50% off at AmazonBest Buy, and GameStop two months after release.

Would be  a more important fact if ESO was B2P

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

It is funny that OP say the ESO have bug and lag issues to tell you truth even WoW have them after 9 year it is on going progress which will never stop, also you talk about bot again WoW have those problem to and have hade them for 9 years and what make it even more funny is the OP whine on VR levels well tell you the truth WoW have them to but it is call dalies and you don't have lvl bar but it is basically samething.

All this problem you say ESO have WoW have also but do people stop playing WoW?? answer is No.

Thing is that people are way to hard on new mmo and are more forgive when come to old mmo honest i think it is damn big joke to be hard on that are only on it 3rd month and also most of you that talk about ESO have this problem and that problem and you think game have low subscribe number are forgetting 1 very import thing which i have learn after play mmo for almost 10 year is that launch a new mmo or expansion under summertime is very hard for most people stop play under the summertime due to vacation, school holiday and if you get really nice summer with much sun the will be hardly anyone play mmo for no one want to sit inside.

But i guess that have slip most people mind that summertime is low point in any mmo even for WoW. But mark my word it is just question of time and we will see same point pop up about WildStar.

ESO's up to 400k Physical copies sold. Who know's how many more digital downloads. This might push them over the 500k physical mark.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by bcbully

ESO's up to 400k Physical copies sold. Who know's how many more digital downloads. This might push them over the 500k physical mark.

Doubtful, the game is now ranked at 15 on the Amazon sales chart, and the price is now £20. I would expect the price to fall further yet even so. Wildstar oddly enough, is at 5th place on the sales chart, but at £27 its not exactly trying to cash in on the box prices, that may help them a lot in the long run, Zenimax made a huge mistake with their initial pricing, which only further exacerbated the games issues. image

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Yes, I'm sure the massive influx of new players is why they're working on cutting the number of Cyrodiil campaigns in half.

Originally posted by reeereee

Yes, I'm sure the massive influx of new players is why they're working on cutting the number of Cyrodiil campaigns in half.

That probably didn't help, but i think the overall problem was that in trying to pull in the Elder Scrolls player, they neglected to take into consideration that the average player was not that interested in PvP but was interested in the PvE aspects of the game, and given how many issues PvE has, particularly with the grouping problems, then its not really any wonder that they not only reduced the number of Cyrodiil instances, but also changed the length of the campaigns, shortening them considerably. I doubt it will make any real difference though image

Yeah there were never more than 3 full servers. I think they tried to spread the population as thin as possible at launch with 10. They knew the servers weren't ready to handle it.

They may be able to now. I think it's still pushing it though.
  • BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201

I agree with you OP.

This game is a big disapointment for me. Its not "the latest chapter" in ES series, or mayby it is. Its a soloplay game and it its prepared for consoles.

I have a strong feeling that the PC release was only to betatest the game for the big market, consoles!

I do belive that they are milking out so much cash they can and try to fix the game before console release. 

Im lvl 40 now, havent played for the last week, I got tired of all those ppl with broken right arm, didnt I help you just a minute ago? Im also tired in the unbalanced fights with single mobs and bosses, I have train certain skills but they cant be used or do no harm on them. But they will hit me with one shot 50 m away... I dont get it. Im used from other MMO's that its possible to kite, but not in this game.

Im at this point tired of soloquesting, I already had enough of grinding in WOW. At least in WOW I have a ton of other things to do, but not in this game.

I wish it could have been a ES game that I could play with friends as they promised. 

But it just isnt...

----

----

@phry wildstar didn't even try to sell physical copies. They must have known not many would be interested. They sold 0 physical copies. Probably smart, who would go searching for the box of a unknown IP with a funny looking rabbit on the cover holding a toy gun?
    @phry wildstar didn't even try to sell physical copies. They must have known not many would be interested. They sold 0 physical copies. Probably smart, who would go searching for the box of a unknown IP with a funny looking rabbit on the cover holding a toy gun?

Well, for a company that wasn't trying to sell physical copies, they seem to be doing remarkably well at it, i do think though that the initial pricing may be one of the reasons for this. For the UK at least, there aren't really any retail stores that sell PC games, so if you want to get a physical copy of a game then companies like Amazon etc. are the only choices open to you. But it has long been my opinion that if a game is going to be P2P then the box price should reflect this, and not try to charge AAA single player console game prices.image

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by rodingo

OK, I'll admit that I could be wrong about relatively poor numbers and sub retention (relative to other AAA MMORPGs). But bet I'm not. Anyone want to take me up on that? I'll be bookmarking this thread too, and with confidence.

BTW, with megaserver tech seeing a local pop'n is also meaningless in terns of proof of overall subs, as the numbers of active servers may have dropped 100 fold and you'd never know.

I think there is probably more people that agree than disagree  with you OP,  however some of these guys are heavily invested in the game or with their reputations on these boards for defending ESO.  Besides, no one likes to hear "I told you so".  I think this game has probably seen it's biggest bulk of people who have left the game already.  The question is, which number is currently more now?  The people that are still leaving due to canceling subs or new people coming in?  Of course these are questions we will probably never have the answer to.  However sometimes you can just tell when a game is not doing well by looking at all of the reviews about it and the forums activity and behavior from both fans and people with critiques and concerns.  There are also other ways to observe trends in the game's popularity with gamers, which equals money for the game studio and publisher.  Take each one of those elements individually and it's not really a good measure.  However, when you combine all of those elements you can get a pretty detailed sense of the bigger picture.  Some can see it easily, others will just refuse to see it at all.

Other's who never bought this game feel that some of you need to get over it and move on...  You've been here for months saying this same stuff over and over, that's a general you not exactly you in general. It says a lot when the game that is "bad" gets so much more attention than the game that's supposed to be a success right now, something is drawing your interest away from it onto this one, if it has your attention it's definitely not a failing, failing is falling into irrelevance and closing down.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson