Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF XIV Realistic Review

XraywingXraywing Member Posts: 1

Greetings chaps,

Hows it goin?

Normally i never post a review of a game, but in this case, i just feel the need to do so.

Final Fantasy XIV is a very diferent, and in the same time, very similar to your other classic MMORPG.

While i do agree with others with the fact that the quests are pretty much "Kill this" "Talk to this guy" "Bring me that", i dont agree with people criticising the game for being like that. What do you expect from a MMORPG?

The only diferente between a mmo and another is the way they execute the mechanics, and Square Enix pretty much nailed it with FF XIV.

Graphics : 10/10 - They are just purely fantastical...and the fact that my gf can play this game maxed @ 720p on a 9600m GT means that its also very optimised for "Not-so-high-end PCs". Textures are pure and in the same time complex, there is a lot of density in the fauna and all this comes with shifting climatology! (Day-night-rain-wind-clear-fog)

Sound: 10/10 - I dare you to tell me a game with a more beautiful and summersive soundtrack list than this game. The music is just awesome and the other soundeffects are also great.

Combat: 9/10 - Square Enix did a great job mixing the typical FF turn-based combat mechanics with traditional live-combat you get in most MMOs. The skills system is very simple to learn, but not so easy to master. Yes you can smash all the buttons to just skill the mob in the front of ya off the map, but if you learn your skills and calculate your moves, you can kill him twice as faster and suffer half the damage. My only con on this part of the game is that character animation isnt that well made (Im looking at you Archer) while in combat.

Story: 10/10 - Its a Final Fantasy, need i say more?

Interface 7/10 - This, imo is the weakest part of the game. While the general interface is easy to use and looks good enough, not all the interface elements are resizable (NPC Dialogue) which makes ppl playing on big TVs (>29") from their couch to have a hard time reading what that NPC is telling ya.

I have played many MMORPGs for the past 12 years. From simple ones like Rose Online, to complex ones like EVE Online, Guild Wars 2, Lineage 2, etc. And so far, FF XIV is the best one i've played.

Its main rival atm is GW2, which, as most MMORPG veterans will agree, while it has great graphics, huge map, good WvW experience and a lot of stuff to do, has failed to deliver anything it promised. Getting to 80 is boring and repetitive, the story, while its nice to have voices in ALL the NPC dialogues, is just very unimmersive and...meh, the skills system is just too easy and you never have a feel of "Proud to have gotten so far". Everything is just too easy in GW2. And farming dungeons for a month just to get a pretty armor which you cant even sell to get teh cash and waste it on crap, makes it totally not worth the time.

So in conclusion: Yes, FF XIV is the classic MMORPG experience, but improved, complete, with nice graphics, great story, awesome soundtrack, dynamic world and ofc...CHOCOBOS!

Regards to all of ya's.

Comments

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 953

To me FF14 is just more of the same we have seen since the day WoW exploded. Not amazing but not bad either...just meh.

The graphics are great, but it is/will suffer from the limits of the PS3 (heck the constant zoning is point #1) The worst part with all those great grapics is that the great looking world is wasted. Zones are not that big and are mostly VERY linear and have nothing outside of quests and FATES in them...Its a damn shame because its quite nice to look at.

Music, yah its pretty great, though there are some tunes i liked better from 1.0 which they trashed (along with a lot of the things i loved about 1.0). Too bad they skimped out so hard on the voice acting. From how they described it i expected WAY more...its barely there and what is mostly sucks (in english atleast)

Combat is nothing new, combo cooldown spam with tab targeting...been done plenty. Jobs and weapons have far more restrictions than in FFXI. Systems like just about all of crafting (which is pretty well done) and "classes/cross class skills) are mostly wasted.

I can lable off a ton of reasons why i dont like the game...and in fact i did with about 20 examples on the xivpro boads, so i will link that post and quote what i said there:

http://www.ffxivpro.com/forum/topic/43039/ffxiv-and-the-mmo-blues/

"I can put my finger on what makes it boring for me:

1) very soloable til endgame

2)Everyone needs to win/make stuff at the level of causals mindset (aside from a couple endgame raids)

3) combat is spamming combos over and over.

4) basically all endgame is instanced and comes down to dodging red circles and having the right ilvl gear.

5)ilvl...i hate it, makes it easy to judge peoples ability to do things and is in that design of "throw out that gear you just got for a higher ilvl" each damn patch.

6) no need for a cummunity when a) you can do all group things cross server and b) group stuff is not really needed until cap

7) very quick to level and is focused on quests and spamming FATES.

8) FATES make up too much of the content design. They are so "everyone wins" (which is why they took out stuff like NMs or open world stuff that could be claimed). Events and content keeps having it shoved in.

9)crafting is made to be second rate because all forms of top end gear only come from instanced raids...and its easy as hell to level.

10)Endgame and new content (including what i see of the new stuff for 2.3) is basically dungeons with the same layout (trash mobs>boss>trash>boss>trashfinal boss...and linear as hell) They keep rehashing it (look another hard/extreme mode of the same crap)

They also only really have it come down to 4 man dungeons/primals/coil. The primals are basically all the same concept too, get it down to half~ deal with some sort of "nails" mechanic to survive the big attack all in a small arena.

11) no reason to have more than 8 people in a guild since most stuff is only 8 man anyways and people dont want to do old stuff (which is old every patch and irrelevent) because you get jack squat for helping.

12) gathering is too easy and you can see exactly what you will get, so taking out the randomness, nothing is worth squat.

13) because of the above stuff the community barely exists because you barely need anyone. Not for crafted stuff, not for raids, not for leveling..ect.

14) not that many skills for most classes so you do the same combos. Also because your stuck with one weapon there is no veraity.

15) stats barely matter, you pump everything into your 1 or 2 main stats all the time because there is no need for anything else.

16) because of #15 all gear is the same static crap +str +vit and 2 more +2's with either: skill/spell speed/crit rate/accuracy/determination.

Dont worry anyways, all the gear is specific to your job for the most part so you wont have to worry about the stats not being the same thing but with slightly more every new ilvl(lol)

17) the world is small and you can get around so effectively (because of so much fast travel and nothing being a real threat) there is no need to be in the world aside from quests and spamming fates.

18) even if there was a threat..death is a joke because all you get is a minor gear damage.

19) classes were turned into jokes that noone uses after you get a job, so all that cross class skill stuff is a moot point (its pointless anyways because of stuff like the simple stat system)

20) The story is mediocre at best and recent updates have made the story even more dull and pointless (aside from the amusing hildabrand story).

...i could seriously keep going, but i think you got the gyst of it. It's really a meh WoW clone with pretty graphics and an FF skin. "
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    For the most part, FFXIV does not break any boundries in current MMOs, but does everything pretty well. The only big exception is crafting, which is one of the best and most complex systems seen in a very long time. Thoroughly happy with this game.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    As someone who played both GW2 and FFXIV:ARR...I really gotta disagree with you here OP.

I love Final Fantasy (well at least I loved the older games), so I really wanted to like FFXIV:ARR...but I just didn't. I thought that I would like the class system because you can mix and match different classes that you leveled, but it really turned out to mean just having to level certain classes to be the best uber-specialized whatever you decided to be.

You couldn't do anything cool like make your own wacky combinations of classes, like you can in ArcheAge...you are pretty much stuck being your main class and that's it.

The combat was also really dull I thought, just standard tab-target and not much else. Coming from the exciting action combat of GW2, it was pretty bad for me.

GW2 on the other hand I still think is an amazing game. I really fail to see why so many people here hate on it. It has awesome combat, great PvP, great graphics, really cool world...and much more...oh and it's FREE to play after you buy it.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105

They have been slowly bringing back the music from 1.0 in the game with every content patch.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Well you didn't have to tell us you don't normally post a review of a game because this is your first post, welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure how you can compare GW2 and FFXIVARR, GW2 is way more of an exploration game where FFXIV focuses on story, crafting and endgame progression.  Anyway, I think FFXIV ARR is an amazing game, it really did give me that first time WoW journey feel when I was playing through it and getting my relic weapon quest done and the progression raiding content is very well designed and fun.  That being said, I would not advise playing this game alone.  Find a free company, quest, craft, get to max level, and kill epic monsters or other players with your friends.  

I haven't played since 2.1, and I understand that they are in 2.2 now which brought new raiding content.  I plan to check back with this game soon, easily one of my best MMO experiences.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Endgame: 2/10. There is nothing to do besides coil. There is a big illusion of "play all these jobs", what they don't tell you is that you're basically locked into one for endgame. Endgame is 1 event, coil. That's about it. 1 or 2 nights a week of content (based on your group skill) and then keep it moving.

They also have it backwards where every other "version update" is actually lower tier gear than the prior update. This means that the content in 2.0 was the most difficult (and best gear) until 2.2, and now with 2.2 out there will be nothing better until 2.4. It's just plain stupid.

Everything in this game is awesome up until endgame. When you're at that very last phase of the game, there's just a massive void of (meaningful) things to do.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Blazeyer

Endgame: 2/10. There is nothing to do besides coil. There is a big illusion of "play all these jobs", what they don't tell you is that you're basically locked into one for endgame. Endgame is 1 event, coil. That's about it. 1 or 2 nights a week of content (based on your group skill) and then keep it moving.

They also have it backwards where every other "version update" is actually lower tier gear than the prior update. This means that the content in 2.0 was the most difficult (and best gear) until 2.2, and now with 2.2 out there will be nothing better until 2.4. It's just plain stupid.

Everything in this game is awesome up until endgame. When you're at that very last phase of the game, there's just a massive void of (meaningful) things to do.

This is the reality for the incredibly small percentage of people who a) actually do coil2 regularly and b) think that you can only do stuff with your highest ilvl job.

Which is why the game has continued to be incredibly successful for the past 9 months.[mod edit]

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 853
    This is my favorite MMO on the market right now has steady content updates and plenty of things to do. My first entry to MMO's being WoW I don't mind themeparks, I just love PvE and FFXIV lets me go against iconic primals from the games. The community is really great reminds me of the old community WoW had, well the nicer ones.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I'm one of those people who are typically raiding the highest end content.  Still haven't beaten the last boss of the current content, but being that I have all the classes maxed out, apart from raiding there isn't much that I want to do.  There are plenty of things to do in the game though and they keep adding more things every patch, so there's definitely not a lack of a things to do, people just have to find the things they want to do.

I think I've reached the point in my life where this is going to be my last MMO.  I enjoy this one and the people I play with, but if I weren't in a group capable of tackling the hardest content, I'd probably be one of those people who log in sparingly, only to experience the main story, as that's really my #1 interest in the game.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,648

As someone who loves final fantasy, and enjoys FF14, the game only has really two major flaws.

#1.  Extremely narrow progression that obsoletes previous content far too quickly in relation to nearly every other MMO out there, we need more horizontal progression in this game, ala FF11's endgame system.

#2.  SERVER LIVE STATE, it's the reason for the 2.5 second GCD, and it's the reason for a lot of the lag issues the game has innately.  It was a design decision that they made, that makes absolutely NO SENSE!  They made it so all the data is handled by the server, to the point where you will be hit by telegraphs you are not even remotely in.  It's a bad design choice, and it's not fixable.

Those are FF14's two major flaws, other than that yeah it's a really polished theme park game.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

As someone who loves final fantasy, and enjoys FF14, the game only has really two major flaws.

#1.  Extremely narrow progression that obsoletes previous content far too quickly in relation to nearly every other MMO out there, we need more horizontal progression in this game, ala FF11's endgame system.

I haven't seen any content become obsolete yet, so I don't really know what's going on here. Even Sastasha is still a relevant dungeon. Considering these kind of comments keep popping up I would like  to experience this "obsoletion" in-game too.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".