Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New ANet post about season 2 of the living story.

YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-story-journal/

Summary: You'll be able to replay previous living story episodes, and we'll be getting permanent content in the upcoming season.

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Yeh, this is good. One of the main things that puts me off playing GW2 is that, while there are lots of updates, the game is hardly growing because they aren't permanent additions. This should help.

I don't like that they are forcing logins by making you appear during an event to unlock it, otherwise you have to use gems.. but it's not a deal breaker.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    They said that about the second half of season one, that it would be more permenant. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Well the story journal pretty much guarantees that there will be permanent new content in place, so I'm not sure why you'd feel that you need to see it to believe it. Considering they've posted screenshots of the story journal UI and given an exact price for unlocking episodes you didn't unlock for free, I'd say it's set in stone...
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Vannor

Yeh, this is good. One of the main things that puts me off playing GW2 is that, while there are lots of updates, the game is hardly growing because they aren't permanent additions. This should help.

I don't like that they are forcing logins by making you appear during an event to unlock it, otherwise you have to use gems.. but it's not a deal breaker.

Considering you'd only need to log in once every two weeks that hardly seems like much of a restriction either.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Vannor

Considering you'd only need to log in once every two weeks that hardly seems like much of a restriction either.

I agree, considering it's the closest thing they've done to a subscription so far(having to pay per half month to catch-up on old content)

I would drop 20 bucks RIGHT NOW just to have Super Adventure Box permanently open to me right now, no questions asked.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    not real excited about this at all. I would have preferred that they move in the opposite direction.  Are they going to start selling the LS story specific items like the Tequatl wings skin in the gem shop next?   Personally, I think this is a step towards being a crappy sellout game and I'm disgusted at the complete lack of foresight used by the people whining to bring about his type of change.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I actually saw a post on a similar thread from someone who claimed logging in at least once every two weeks is too burdensome.  I understand as a group us gamers are a lazy bunch, but really?     
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by eyelolled not real excited about this at all. I would have preferred that they move in the opposite direction.  Are they going to start selling the LS story specific items like the Tequatl wings skin in the gem shop next?   Personally, I think this is a step towards being a crappy sellout game and I'm disgusted at the complete lack of foresight used by the people whining to bring about his type of change.
    It's not really what I want either. Personally, just speaking for myself, I want traditional xpac areas. Sell me Cantha. Sell me Elona. I liked the GW1 structure better in some ways.

It's not that logging in every two weeks is burdensome, but setting my gaming and entertainment clock around that is. Sometimes I want to play for weeks on end. Sometimes I don't want to play for a month or two. It sounds like a lot of micro-management and I can see needing to buy access if I missed something and my guild wants to run it, or vice versa.

I just feel like they've forgotten or put aside some of the things that made GW1 so good.

They blew getting any more money out of me the minute they started selling lock boxes, just about the worst thing possible for the consumer but for some unknown reason people buy them ? can't stand that kind of gamble, sell me something or don't, trying to sell me a low percentage chance of getting what I want is a rip off, pure and simple.

Buying content I could have accessed for free if I could be arsed chasing worthless title tracks a few months ago? I don't think so.

GW was an awesome game in so many ways, I've yet to come across a game with such a great skill system, GW2 such a poor shadow and Anet deffo not the company they were.

There's a lot going for GW2, sadly I just don't want to support Anet any more with my cash.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    not real excited about this at all. I would have preferred that they move in the opposite direction.  Are they going to start selling the LS story specific items like the Tequatl wings skin in the gem shop next?   Personally, I think this is a step towards being a crappy sellout game and I'm disgusted at the complete lack of foresight used by the people whining to bring about his type of change.

It's not really what I want either. Personally, just speaking for myself, I want traditional xpac areas. Sell me Cantha. Sell me Elona. I liked the GW1 structure better in some ways.

It's not that logging in every two weeks is burdensome, but setting my gaming and entertainment clock around that is. Sometimes I want to play for weeks on end. Sometimes I don't want to play for a month or two. It sounds like a lot of micro-management and I can see needing to buy access if I missed something and my guild wants to run it, or vice versa.

I just feel like they've forgotten or put aside some of the things that made GW1 so good.

No surprise there considering how much the story has also turned to suck from GW1 to GW2

I'm an Elona guy and it looks to be nowhere on the horizon still

Sometimes I wonder if they fired all the awesome in the transition from GW1 to GW2, like they made the game I wanted to play and got rid of all the awesome cool stuff about GW1

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• moondragomoondrago Member UncommonPosts: 47
    this game is still going  .. OMG ...  i forgot i had it  ... its more of  a  waste of  space on my HD  .... and  a  waste  of  time  game is  to  boxed  in  .. to play   ... its like  beating  a  dead  horse  .. just  uninstall and  let it  die  already

its a GoOd dAy to diE !!

• kurosenshukurosenshu Member UncommonPosts: 49

The journal is a great addition to the game, I’ve always said that if I wasn’t playing when LS started I would’ve never picked up the game because you couldn’t play past LS releases, the journal completely fixes that big outstanding issue.

The story in gw2 suffers, not because the writers are not the same ones that wrote gw1 but rather for the following reasons:

1 – Catering mostly to small preschool children that have no understanding of complex emotional concepts.

2 – There is no dark side evil in this game at all, the little evil there is, is limited by point 1, catering to small preschool children with no understanding of what evil truly means.

That ties the hands of the writers and limits the amount of things they can come up with, while neglecting what made Guild Wars lore so great in the 1st place.

So,

My hope for LS-S2 is that they stop making kindergarden / preschool approved stories and focus on complex emotions that young adults can actually get excited about while introducing some of the dark twists that made Guild Wars lore so great to begin with.

It is impossible to hide plot twists, make interesting content, get the gw2 populus excited if the emotions, morals and evil ideas involved have to be pre school level approved.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

... just out of curiosity, what would the opposite direction have been?

All the open world content (Like the new zones) will be there for everybody.  No matter when you come in later, anything added to the open world will always be there.

Just like before, if you log in during the 2 week period, you can play the living story for free.  In addition, if you logged in during that 2 week period, you can play it again LATER, if you want.

You can even bring in friends who don't have it unlocked with you if they want to do the story with you, they just won't get the rewards or achievements.

And, unlike before, if you missed the two weeks, you can pay 200 gems (Which isn't very much), and play the story parts.  Or, if you just want to know what the story is, you can watch it.  Or tag along with a friend.

So far as I can see, they've only added functionality, some of which they're charging for, but it wasn't something you could do before at all.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

So it boils down to sign in and get it free or if for some reason you cant then it will cost you money.

I was ready to come back to GW2 but now with the more money grabbing, forget it.

• DiemosDiemos Member Posts: 129
    What a lame excuse... Just admit the game isn't for you and move on.

[PvX]Tempest - Check us out

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I'm curious what their idea of opposite direction is too. I said mine above, sell me large continent expacs like GW1. I don't want to dink with 200 Gem dealies here and there. It's not the cost. It's the annoyance.

I do agree though that it's a better solution than what they have offered. I just don't like the answer they presented.

They're still adding new zones, and those won't be locked behind any sort of charge, at least not the ones they're adding now.  It's looking like at least... 3-4 new zones?  Hard to tell. 

Think of the living story that they're selling not as an expansion, but as the Bonus Mission Packs from GW1, that you can get for FREE if you log in at a certain time.  It's a far closer equivalence than comparing it to the GW1 expansions.

• Just shut up already... If you do not log in just once in two weeks, why the hell do you care? Obviously you're not playing this game. Money grabbing money grabbing like a parrot that's the only thing you always talk about. So tell me if this game that money grabbing, why the hell did I never buy anything from them? I'm playing this game since beta. I never took a break even once. But I didn't even pay them for anything.

You can pay 15 bucks for WoW every month without any new content for 12 months.

You can pay even more money for a shitty f2p game.

But when it comes to Gw2 you can't pay any money for a content pack because you didn't log in just 5 sec when it was live. And I'm not even talking about any forced payment. You can easily buy it with an hour dungeon run. Seriously this is pathetic...

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

"Oh noes if I don't play GW2 I have to pay 200 gems, so I'm not playing".

Cool.

I'll be enjoying my free new content while those that not play will be flooding forums complaining that GW2 is a cash grab because forces them to pay to play just because they aren't playing and so they won't be playing...

... as they weren't before and probably never were.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Don't worry your guild will have burned out of that content by the month or two you didn't log in.

They might not even know who you are anymore.

Anyway, according to the livestream it will work live the personal story, so people can take you in but you wont get the rewards.

Also nothing is set in stone and it will change with players feedback.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I actually saw a post on a similar thread from someone who claimed logging in at least once every two weeks is too burdensome.  I understand as a group us gamers are a lazy bunch, but really?     

Yah, i think its best for people that fnd that TOO hard to do to just forget about GW2.

And its funny to call GW2 cashgrab with WoW....and ESO....and WS....and SWTOR....and....around.