Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: Now NSFW

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

No, it's not what you think. Trion has announced that Defiance is now "Now Safe For Wallet" as its free to play iteration goes into effect starting today. The free to play PC version comes with a host of interesting options for players to check out.

Players who purchase a new box or digital copy of Defiance are granted the following bonuses:

• A grant of 1,000 Arkforge, in-game currency redeemable for resetting weapon mastery, upgrading a weapon’s power rating or even bumping an uncommon weapon to epic rarity.

• 4 Character Slots, 5 Loadouts, up to 75 Ark Keycodes and a minimum 70 Inventory Slots.

• 30 days of Paradise Patron status

Paradise Patrons are granted:

• Boosts to skill, XP, scrip, salvage and reputation gain rates that stack with the matching boosts available in the store.

• 10% store-wide discount – boosts, costumes, lock boxes, all of it!

• A grab bag of one-hour boosts or Arkforge from Daily and Weekly Ark Hunter Bonus Lock Boxes.

Find out more on the Defiance site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Any word yet on just what is going to happen to the console version of the game?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

why people are so sensible about NSFW meaning and silly crap like that....

When i read "Not Safe For Wallet" the first thing that came to mind was that you dont have to pay for the game. Instead of blaming journalism use your mind a little bit, assuming you have one.

Peeps always need something to complain about or they die.

/geez

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113
    I came expecting boobs.
  • mase1771mase1771 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by NIII
    I came expecting boobs.

That's all it took was the expectation of boobs? 

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Man, I have spent far too many hours playing this game.  Should check it out again soon.   Has the series started again?
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Milander
    Any word yet on just what is going to happen to the console version of the game?

The PS3 version is suppose to be going FTP sometime in July I think. IMO this is a rediculous move. The game was only $10 on steam and now our BTP game is gonna have a subscription option...companies that sell a buy to play product and then put a subscription in should be liable for falsely advertising their products.

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I also expected boobs.
  • JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    now pay to win
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Maybe there will be more stuff worth buying in the shop now. This is one game I actually WISH there was something I wanted to buy.

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348
    Originally posted by rojo6934

why people are so sensible about NSFW meaning and silly crap like that....

When i read "Not Safe For Wallet" the first thing that came to mind was that you dont have to pay for the game. Instead of blaming journalism use your mind a little bit, assuming you have one.

Peeps always need something to complain about or they die.

/geez

And if you use your brain for a little bit assuming you have one, you'd know what you just said makes 0 sense. How would "Not Safe For Wallet" constitute not paying for the game? That literally makes no sense since whats safe for a Wallet is in actuality NOT spending money.

Now you could have(and should have) argued that since the game is going Free to play, that they would have a cash shop and with the onset of the cash shop, your wallet would no longer be safe.

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by Milander

Taken from the website:

Defiance will be going free-to-play on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on July 15.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by mase1771
    Originally posted by NIII
    I came expecting boobs.

That's all it took was the expectation of boobs? 

same here...where da boobs at?

Low expectations makes any game shine.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Sweet
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201

I really do not know what changed other then i claimed a few things and some like char slots, bag slots and load out slots I already had.. I see no difference with my game then i did before and still can not make that race that came with DLC#2 i think.  So can someone tell me what changed for someone that already owns the game (without the DLC's)

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by AreWeLive

I really do not know what changed other then i claimed a few things and some like char slots, bag slots and load out slots I already had.. I see no difference with my game then i did before and still can not make that race that came with DLC#2 i think.  So can someone tell me what changed for someone that already owns the game (without the DLC's)

Nothing changed, really. People that paid for the game (like you did) get a few goodies, but that's it.  Everyone still has to buy the DLCs if they want that content, and Trion added an optional subscription (the Patron Pass) that gives you a bunch of boosts (like xp etc.) for the duration of the sub.  The stuff that previous buyers of the game get are listed in the OP.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by Quailman

Nothing changed, really. People that paid for the game (like you did) get a few goodies, but that's it.  Everyone still has to buy the DLCs if they want that content, and Trion added an optional subscription (the Patron Pass) that gives you a bunch of boosts (like xp etc.) for the duration of the sub.  The stuff that previous buyers of the game get are listed in the OP.

Ya, see this is what I do not  understand, I mean the idea behind the game model here is to make me want to pay. If I do not get a value from what is offered in a monthly sub then why would I sub?

The sub(Patron Pass) is not offering me anything other then some bonus's and if or when I max out,  that becomes useless as well.  If they offered more like the DLC,  as long as i paid the Patron fee, then  it might get some $ either via the pass or actually buying the DLC. As it stands, this new model is broken from day 1.

Ya, see this is what I do not  understand, I mean the idea behind the game model here is to make me want to pay. If I do not get a value from what is offered in a monthly sub then why would I sub?

The sub(Patron Pass) is not offering me anything other then some bonus's and if or when I max out,  that becomes useless as well.  If they offered more like the DLC,  as long as i paid the Patron fee, then  it might get some $ either via the pass or actually buying the DLC. As it stands, this new model is broken from day 1.

I completely understand. The whole thing is a bit odd. I'm assuming they wanted to come up with something that wouldn't completely piss off the early adopters, and boosts are pretty easy for most people to swallow. As for the DLCs, I believe I read on their site (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that they have no plans for any more paid DLCs at the moment, and that future content updates would be free. Personally, I wouldn't expect to see too many of these content updates coming out in a timely manner as I don't believe they have the staff to handle that.

I know I won't be subbing for the patron pass, and I'm not sure they could add anything to make me want to sub, but I'm sure there are quite a few people who will sub for the pass. There definitely is a market for that sort of thing. Plus they can make some more cash by releasing more cosmetics and *shudders* lockboxes in the store.

As for the future of this game...Well, that's anyone's guess at this point. For the time being, I'm going to continue to enjoy it at a super casual level.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by TheRabidsmurf
    I also expected boobs.

What the hell? The TV show has boobs!

Originally posted by psiic
    I also expected boobs.

Y'know, before I clicked the link to this thread, I kind of expected to see a pic of Stahma from one of the bath scenes.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by DMKano

The game got a lot harder - do anything at threat level 5+ and you will see.

If you want REAL "fun", try to do the daily/weekly with some high levels jacking the threat up to 10... I'm wondering how much longer Trion is going to keep this game running.  Given past history, I doubt they plan much more development for it.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

... isn't the title of this thread a little redundant, considering what NSFW stands for in this case?

Now Now Safe For Wallet

It's like talking about the ATM machine. :O

• sLY4JsLY4J Member UncommonPosts: 84

Whoever says its gonna be pay to win is an idiot. Go play Rift that has the BEST cash shop on the market and is no where NEAR pay to win.. if I want to have the best gear, i'd have to put HUNDREDS down. Rift actually punishes you to try to be pay to win.

On another topic, how is Defiance? I heard it's gone through different changes. Is it worth playing?

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I also expected boobs.

Y'know, before I clicked the link to this thread, I kind of expected to see a pic of Stahma from one of the bath scenes.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/8a5ebc683303450621b18eca86d96149/tumblr_mkbw95f2dr1qc3qsmo1_r1_500.gif

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by sLY4J

Whoever says its gonna be pay to win is an idiot. Go play Rift that has the BEST cash shop on the market and is no where NEAR pay to win.. if I want to have the best gear, i'd have to put HUNDREDS down. Rift actually punishes you to try to be pay to win.

This statement is actually saying "Rift is pay 2 win".

Not that i would fully agree with it, but Rift clearly toes the line more than any non Turbine freemium model.

Originally posted by Volgore
    I also expected boobs.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/8a5ebc683303450621b18eca86d96149/tumblr_mkbw95f2dr1qc3qsmo1_r1_500.gif

image Now that's more like it! image

Consume. Be silent. Die.