Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar 1-25 impressions so far

So with the queues still hitting high wait times I thought I would go ahead and give my first impressions of the game up to level 25. Note that I have seen most the game's many features and have some solid frame of reference by now.

Levels 1-10

This is actually pretty standard affair if you have even the most modest of MMO experience. It is somewhat boring but really it moves along relatively quickly so I can't fault it too much here. The beginning zone for dominion is easy on the eyes, and really just helps you get accustomed to the basic gameplay mechanics.

Levels 10-15

Once you hit level 10 things start to slow down a tad, but the game also starts to open up. Mounts and housing are available as well as you first adventure at level 15. Adventures are basically dungeons with branching paths so your run can change each time you do it. While the the first dungeon isn't incredibly difficult, it will give you a taste of where your class fits within a group structure. The first dungeon is actually pretty fun so I was glad to get some group play in somewhat early within my leveling.

Levels 15-20

Pretty much just leveling until 20. Once there your first dungeon opens up. Now this dungeon is going to be the first wall PUGs run into. This dungeon can actually be pretty difficult without some experience and coordination withing the group. With this difficulty comes with some unseen rewards. First it helps show you how group play really needs to be handled. Coming from a healer perspective (Esper), I can tell you with confidence that your skills will be tested. This is a good thing, as it will help you learn mobility, resource management, and quick reaction to the ever changing circumstances with these fights. Secondly, these tough early experiences will make you a better player if you take the time to learn what you do wrong. It will make you feel better about your class and your. So focus on your strengths and weaknesses to become the best you can be with your class. The community will love you for it.

Levels 20-25

Once you step into Whitevail things escalate quickly. Here enemies become significantly more difficult and quests become a little more involved. Also if your on a PvP server (like me) this is when you begin to run into the other faction. Obviously this means that there is a potential threat always looming around you. But hey at least you get your hoverboard at 25, yay!

Now I know there are some things I haven't really touched on like housing, crafting, or paths but honestly if your reading this I'm sure you probably know as much as you need to know to make some educated decisions. With the MMO genre being in the shape that its been in for the last 5 years or so, it is really refreshing to see one released as a completed game. While it doesn't really innovate in any of its features, it does exude the polish and challenge that some many MMOs lack. I am really excited to see where this game goes in the future, but until then there is plenty to see and do on Nexus.

Leader of the guild Rubicon on the Pergo server. Visit http://www.guildrubicon.com for information image

Comments

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Even the most watched Twitch streamers who currently enjoy and play it have no problems openly admitting it's basicaly a WoW clone, WoW in space, WoW 2.0, etc.... Not sure why some forum dwelers have such a hard time with it. You know, the game can still be well made and enjoyable despite those tags...

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317

It certainly feels like an updated wow to me.  There aren't many mmo's that I play through to cap, I could probably count them on one hand (WOW vanilla/ TBC, GW1, DDO, Rift, Pirate101, SWTOR) and I don't think this one will be joining that list.  It all just feels a little, 'been there, done that'.  However, unlike the common complaints levelled at it, I do like the artstyle and that it is light-hearted.  

I enjoy fps type combat, but so-called 'action' combat in recent mmo's were you are constantly dodging different coloured red shapes starts to grate with me after a while.  I don't play mmo's in the way I play single player games (or even limited multi-player matches), I tend to have the TV on or I'll be cooking; I will not be paying relentless attention to my computer- and any mmo that requires me to is likely to wear thin with me quite quickly.   

I have already found myself deleting characters and rolling alts to test different classes/ paths- and when I start doing this this soon after release it is a sure fire sign that I will not be playing in one or two months.  

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by sgel
    Originally posted by tixylix
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

I played this during beta and I can't deny that it's NOT a WoW clone. I'd be interested in knowing why you feel this isn't a WoW clone. 

Despite the implied negative connotation associated with that, if the game is well executed then it doesn't really matter, does it? I've had plenty of bandaids that are actually better than Band-Aid brand bandaids. We don't go around calling them "wound covering apparatus". 

WS is well done. Anyone who denys the quality of the game needs their head checked, but it's a WoW Clone if I ever saw one. It might have housing, but a fabric bandaid is still a bandaid. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by timtrack
    (hilarious picture)

I laughed, out loud, for real.

>.>

Good work!

Also, good review!

And please everybody ignore the guy who is saying it's a wow clone, I mean really that's just the most classic bait, let's all not fall victim to it. :-D

• killingerkillinger Member Posts: 8
    While this game does follow the very familiar formula of the theme park MMO structure, I feel it is a bit exaggerated to call it a clone. I can see why people would think that at face value, but look under the hood and you will realize it is it has some worthwhile features to offer. No its not the MMO of our dreams, but it is definitely one of the most polished and well built MMO in awhile. So enjoy the game for what it is because there aren't that many of this caliber out right now. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    CHALLENGE STARTED!
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by StarI

Even the most watched Twitch streamers who currently enjoy and play it have no problems openly admitting it's basicaly a WoW clone, WoW in space, WoW 2.0, etc.... Not sure why some forum dwelers have such a hard time with it. You know, the game can still be well made and enjoyable despite those tags...

I'm playing it and just got done so posting here before I go eat dinner.  IMO Wildstar is a WoW clone with very minimal differences from the standard Themepark fair.  Sure it has its small quirks and subtle differences but when 99% of the major game systems are copy pasted then I consider it a WoW clone.  Now as far as WoW clones go, this one has by far the best production quality and polish.  Not to mention a lot of content!  I'm enjoying my time but mainly because I am taking my time but partially because I get sick of the Fed-Ex task grinding that themeparks entail.  Would love to be 50 already and hitting up the features I am interested in like Dungeons and Small scale Raiding with close friends.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Originally posted by StarI

So because Twitch says so it must be true then. Gotcha.

Anyone worth their MMO salt knows it's a Themepark mmo. What you need to understand is that Wildstar, while not perfect, is pretty much bringing everything to the table that WoW does (arenas, bgs etc) and more (real crafting, housing, different combat, warplots etc..) on release.

Thus not a clone. It actually is doing more, or at least trying to. 

Cookie cutter 'WoW 2.0' comments are from people that really haven't played the game to 50.