Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people think you have to stay with an mmo?

124»

Comments

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Magiknight

You never played a good MMO. A good MMO is a world that you live in. I know there are dozens of good single player games that you would play for a few months and then you're done with it. That's not the way a MMO works. You've made a commitment to your character and the world that he or she is in.

You're wrong :) Because you're assuming MMOs and single player games are the same other than the number of people that play. Now, modern MMOs are like you're describing and they suck.

nah .. "good" is subjective. A good MMO, to me, is like a good SP game with good solo content.

Your "good" does not apply to me.

Yes it is subjective.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member RarePosts: 3,410

Those that only play mmo's are missing out on some great games.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Xenoblade is a great single player game with MMO elements or elements that would be best suited for MMOs. It works as a single player game, but would be an amazing MMO.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,771

Yeah .. and there are so many great games, and good entertainment out there .. and i wouldn't limit myself to just MMOs.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,007

Yeah .. and there are so many great games, and good entertainment out there .. and i wouldn't limit myself to just MMOs.

Well, without other players actually in the game world, there's no point in playing them, "for me", hence I left SPGs behind long ago.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SammuelSKSammuelSK Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

I played Skyrim (non-mmo) about 6 mos and left never to return.  Loved it!   No one is shocked that I'm no longer playing.  Why aren't people angry?  What makes people think just because a game is an mmo you must stay with it forever or the game is trash?  Skyrim wasn't trash but it didn't hold the majority of us for long.  Are we anxious corporate will not make enough money in a short term mmo?  Do we believe quality goes up over time like an aged wine?  What I'm getting at is we seem to keep looking for some fault with our mmo wondering why it will not hold our fascination for years.  That's asking to much of any dev team.  We should move on and try new things.  Let another corporation step up to the plate and make money.  Am I right?

Unfortunately it short changes the people left behind. Eg. SWTOR at launch as a story driven MMO vs SWTOR today as a cartel market centered game.

It also gives potential new players the impression a game has failed, causing them to abandon the purchase they were thinking about in order to follow the pack.

It kills any growth in the MMO industry, executives don't invest money into a game with the expectation that after a month everyone will be gone. They fund the MMO, see revenue quickly vanish and abandon plans to fund anything else in the future, content is cut and game is placed on maintance mode.

MMOs evolve and grow over time, they do not hatch fully formed.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,771
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, without other players actually in the game world, there's no point in playing them, "for me", hence I left SPGs behind long ago.

A  perfect illustration of people playing games for different reasons. I wouldn't care if there are others in my games. I play them for content.

For example, the latest Tomb Raider is a great game (as many critics have agreed) and there is zero other players in my game. If they make more games like this, i will play fewer online games.