Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it still overcrowded while doing solo quests ?

2»

Comments

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by greatskys
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Of all things to quit an ONLINE game for.  There are too many players... lol

Yes, you guessed it.  And to answer your question, they are still using megaserver technology.

Too many players doing solo quests at the same time I also went out my way to explain why I don't mind it as long as its not too overcrowded on solo quests .Not much reading comprehension going on here I guess .

There is a big difference between there being a lot of players on say something like the group styled rift events in Rift or there being big PVP battles on pvp games like Archage to there being ten other players doing the same solo quests where sometimes its hard to get a shot in on a mob before it dies . If  you cant see the difference or even understand what I was getting at then I feel sorry for you because your obviously a bit limited . 

Also you attempt at sarcasm makes me wonder about your maturity as well . 

I find it amusing how you personally attack me numerous times, and then speak about my maturity.

It is a MMO.  It uses megaserver technology.  And lastly, if it was meant to be a solo quest, then it would lock out all other players.  So I'm not sure what to tell you.  It appears as though you'll never be coming back I guess.

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Orious
    I never had an issue with overcrowding... Maybe the first day on the very first zone...

No one did. Nor did we have 99.9% of the problems listed on these forums...but hey

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by centkin

Actually it depends on the day now.  If you play in the morning on the east coast or even the early afternoon east coast, the dolmens are NOT going down, the dungeons are generally empty other than you and there are chests and resources everywhere untapped by anyone. 

This is actually scary because when you essentially have a map to yourself on a single megaserver that means there simply aren't any people playing in that phase/instance other than you and when you are looking at a larger map with say 10 people on it instead of the normal 50 odd, that sincerely is making me wonder if the population is not taking a nose-dive. 

In general a megaserver would hide that from you.  Things have to be really light to actually see it.

(of course it could also be that I am a V2 and a lot of the people are bypassing V2 content by doing the broken dungeon with the fast respawning bosses over and over and over for hours at a time instead of playing the game)

I play around 10am-2pm and 1am-3am EST.  Between those times, there is usually server maintenance.  So I'm pretty much playing at times when the server should have the lowest populations.  There are always people to group with and I've never, ever, felt like I was the only person playing on any given map.  So.. I don't believe you in the slightest.

Though, I guess it would make a big more sense if you are a higher level than most people.  I honestly would have to assume that most people are somewhere between levels 20 and 30.  So, if you're doing veteran content in the wee hours of the morning, I suppose it's possible for the world to feel a little empty.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Actually it depends on the day now.  If you play in the morning on the east coast or even the early afternoon east coast, the dolmens are NOT going down, the dungeons are generally empty other than you and there are chests and resources everywhere untapped by anyone. 

This is actually scary because when you essentially have a map to yourself on a single megaserver that means there simply aren't any people playing in that phase/instance other than you and when you are looking at a larger map with say 10 people on it instead of the normal 50 odd, that sincerely is making me wonder if the population is not taking a nose-dive. 

In general a megaserver would hide that from you.  Things have to be really light to actually see it.

(of course it could also be that I am a V2 and a lot of the people are bypassing V2 content by doing the broken dungeon with the fast respawning bosses over and over and over for hours at a time instead of playing the game)

I play around 10am-2pm and 1am-3am EST.  Between those times, there is usually server maintenance.  So I'm pretty much playing at times when the server should have the lowest populations.  There are always people to group with and I've never, ever, felt like I was the only person playing on any given map.  So.. I don't believe you in the slightest.

Though, I guess it would make a big more sense if you are a higher level than most people.  I honestly would have to assume that most people are somewhere between levels 20 and 30.  So, if you're doing veteran content in the wee hours of the morning, I suppose it's possible for the world to feel a little empty.

I too think it is rather unlikely that you are going to get a zone to yourself at 10am to 2PM. That's the whole population of the NA server and not one other person than you in the zone? I have played at all sorts of odd times and have never seen anything of the sort on EU.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

A lot of lower level Veteran (V2 etc) players have now skipped over to the Craglorn zone for faster veteran leveling and better rewards.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Even so, my VR2 main is not seeing empty zones.  But I do play evening and weekends eastern time, so that could be it.  Sometimes in the AM I log in to do inventory clears / guild bank / etc. and run around a bit, and there are still people around then too.  It is true that the veteran levels are less populated than the regular ones.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    They seriously need a scaling system for encounters based on participating players. Huge oversight in my opinion.

Actually a scaling system would address the problem with the 'boss mobs' being surrounded and killed as soon as they spawn, usually by afk botters. The problem really isn't that there are too many players, its just bad game design that enabled that to happen in the first place.image

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    They seriously need a scaling system for encounters based on participating players. Huge oversight in my opinion.

Actually a scaling system would address the problem with the 'boss mobs' being surrounded and killed as soon as they spawn, usually by afk botters. The problem really isn't that there are too many players, its just bad game design that enabled that to happen in the first place.image

I agree, it is a bad design. I had reported it as an issue several times in closed beta but I suppose this was how they wanted it.

Showing up and hoping to "tag" a monster so that you can get credit is just not fun.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by greatskys

The thing that led me to leave TESO was that it felt so overcrowded while doing solo quests . The way the phased mega server works seemed to allow large numbers of people to be on the same solo quests as me which made them boring and easy . I actually liked a lot of the rest of the game but I couldn't stand this but I'm hoping the problem may be resolved as player numbers drop after its initial month . I don't mind lots of people in mmos but there a point when a game is linear that it becomes annoying on quests that are meant to be soloed or done in a small group . It ruins the immersion . 

Is it any better yet or should I leave it a few more months before returning ? 

Actually, from what I have seen over the past few weeks, there are more people rather than less. Seems like the game is growing quite nicely, or some people have been leaving and less instance servers are being utilized.

Either way, there's still a ton of people in all the quest areas I have been to as of Sunday night.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by oldboygamer

This is a complaint made by people new to mmos I guess. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the number of players around in solo dungeons etc... that was how it used to be years ago before every mmo decided to instance quests and make the whole experience soloable. ESO reminds me of how mmos used to be, when you had to wait for spawn and wait your turn.

I wonder how the OP and other complainers would deal with EQ and the queuing system we used as guilds for bosses in dungeons?

I remember waiting a week to kill a mob in DAoC...the good old days :D

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by Gravarg

This is a complaint made by people new to mmos I guess. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the number of players around in solo dungeons etc... that was how it used to be years ago before every mmo decided to instance quests and make the whole experience soloable. ESO reminds me of how mmos used to be, when you had to wait for spawn and wait your turn.

I wonder how the OP and other complainers would deal with EQ and the queuing system we used as guilds for bosses in dungeons?

this +1

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by BurntCabbage
    Originally posted by Gravarg

this +1

The current generation would cry if they had to put in any effort or patience in to a game. All the gaming companies do studies to keep them up to date with what gamers want. Nintendo (2012) had a study where gamers play old Mario brothers as well as newer games. They were highly critical of older games, saying they were too difficult and so on. They expected not to have to read any material sent with the games they received, games should not require something like reading in a modern gamers eyes. Most games today are so dumbed down that's quite true. My favourite was the 'pit of doom', they could not get their heads around the idea that if you fell into the pit you died, they kept jumping in thinking you must be able to survive somehow. :D

In fact they cried about TESO. My favourite there was a guy who did a video review 20 days after launch. He was V6 and went on at length at how the levelling was too hard. V6 in twenty days!

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

I love the anticipation of porting through a dungeon or on a quest line into the last fight of the story/area. Wondering just how the big fight is going to go, what skills the boss will use, what kind of challenge it will offer...

Of course then the loading screen completes and before you take 2 steps the quest updates and the quest is complete because you happened to be in the general vicinity when the boss got killed.

It does not matter if I am solo or grouped at the time, it just turns me off from ever getting excited with anticipation any more when there is every likelihood the big boss fight will be completed before I can participate.

So I totally understand the point you are making OP and yes, it is another flaw in their original design.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    My favorite was a guy who said he lost to Molag Bal about 38 times and was so frustrated he deleted his character.  Asking on the forums or youtube research probably would have made that unnecessary.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey