Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it still overcrowded while doing solo quests ?

greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451

The thing that led me to leave TESO was that it felt so overcrowded while doing solo quests . The way the phased mega server works seemed to allow large numbers of people to be on the same solo quests as me which made them boring and easy . I actually liked a lot of the rest of the game but I couldn't stand this but I'm hoping the problem may be resolved as player numbers drop after its initial month . I don't mind lots of people in mmos but there a point when a game is linear that it becomes annoying on quests that are meant to be soloed or done in a small group . It ruins the immersion . 

Is it any better yet or should I leave it a few more months before returning ? 

Comments

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Of all things to quit an ONLINE game for.  There are too many players... lol

Yes, you guessed it.  And to answer your question, they are still using megaserver technology.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    I don't think player numbers is gonna drop anytime soon. Of course they will initially after all the asshats leave that will never be happy with anygame. after that happens player numbers will only steadly rise unless there is truly no hope left for todays gaming imaginations. ESO is one of the best games I have ever played and I truly hope the developers will relize the potential this game has and will only improve upon it.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Wrender
    I don't think player numbers is gonna drop anytime soon. Of course they will initially after all the asshats leave that will never be happy with anygame. after that happens player numbers will only steadly rise unless there is truly no hope left for todays gaming imaginations. ESO is one of the best games I have ever played and I truly hope the developers will relize the potential this game has and will only improve upon it.

They will never drop as long as they are using the same server technology.  I think people are missing the point of it.  It's designed to make sure that there will never been a need for a server merge, due to low population.  You will never see those numbers drop.  Not until they close the servers for good.  The only way to adjust this is for ZOS to change player population caps server side.  Otherwise, it will stay crowded, and that's fine with me.  I play mostly in the middle of the night, so it is never an issue for me.  

Though I do recognize the issue, I just don't think it's something worth quitting over.  After all, you're playing an ONLINE game.  It's meant to have players.

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Yes, you guessed it.  And to answer your question, they are still using megaserver technology.

Too many players doing solo quests at the same time I also went out my way to explain why I don't mind it as long as its not too overcrowded on solo quests .Not much reading comprehension going on here I guess .

There is a big difference between there being a lot of players on say something like the group styled rift events in Rift or there being big PVP battles on pvp games like Archage to there being ten other players doing the same solo quests where sometimes its hard to get a shot in on a mob before it dies . If  you cant see the difference or even understand what I was getting at then I feel sorry for you because your obviously a bit limited . 

Also you attempt at sarcasm makes me wonder about your maturity as well . 

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Meanwhile in another random thread -> this game dies no players, such a solo game, not enough people to group with!
    Originally posted by Wrender

They will never drop as long as they are using the same server technology.  I think people are missing the point of it.  It's designed to make sure that there will never been a need for a server merge, due to low population.  You will never see those numbers drop.  Not until they close the servers for good.  The only way to adjust this is for ZOS to change player population caps server side.  Otherwise, it will stay crowded, and that's fine with me.  I play mostly in the middle of the night, so it is never an issue for me.  

Though I do recognize the issue, I just don't think it's something worth quitting over.  After all, you're playing an ONLINE game.  It's meant to have players.

Ah well I guess I'll never be going back unless they change the number of players in each phase . Its too linear to work well with mega server technology I think . I don't mind players but I like bit of challenge  while questing and there no challenge when its like this . Theres nothing wrong with the quests themselves its just they seem to be designed as solo quests and if you have to many people doing them it ruins them  . I was hoping it would lessen over time . 

Originally posted by Vapors
    Meanwhile in another random thread -> this game dies no players, such a solo game, not enough people to group with!

I really don't know what you are getting at there . No where did I say this game is dying or there is not enough people to group with . If anything the post you made was random to say the least . 

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548
    I never had an issue with overcrowding... Maybe the first day on the very first zone...

• MsPtibiscuitMsPtibiscuit Member Posts: 164

In MMO, you have in general two kind of players:

The modern player, who prefers to play alone and doesn't really like playing with other people. Those prefer phasing, solo quests, and thus prefers ESO, SWTOR, and modern MMOs in general.

The XXX player (doesn't really have a name for this kind) who wants group content back in their MMOs.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by greatskys

I really don't know what you are getting at there . No where did I say this game is dying or there is not enough people to group with . If anything the post you made was random to say the least . 

For someone who just dinged someone for their lack of reading comprehension you miss a simple comparison.  You are complaining about too many players.  He is pointing out that in another thread people are complaining about there being no players, too solo oriented, and not enough people to group with.  It was showing that no matter what some people will not be happy.  

As for my opinion, players being everywhere is how MMOs are supposed to be.  If you don't want players everywhere then I would suggest a different genre.  

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Actually, nothing is more annoying than an overcrowded starting area in many newly released games or expansions. 

It works in games with scaling events like Guildwars 2 and in some games like WAR you can't even do public quests unless enough people is around (or they will fail more or less automatically). In sandboxes it is rarely a problem at all.

But I can understand that OP think it is annoying in ESO. The megaservers there needs some tweaking so you get the perfect amount of players around instead of too many. The games quest mechanics makes too many players a problem.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Once you hit the VR levels, the solo quests become much harder, and there will be around 10 to 15 people per zone, so it does become much more lonely, and far more challenging.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by MsPtibiscuit

The modern player, who prefers to play alone and doesn't really like playing with other people. Those prefer phasing, solo quests, and thus prefers ESO, SWTOR, and modern MMOs in general.

The XXX player (doesn't really have a name for this kind) who wants group content back in their MMOs.

That isn't actually relevant here. The problem is that a lot of ESOs world is solocontent and too many players around makes soloing annoying, particularly in a game like ESO where you can't just group and get questcompletion for what other players do as well.

I agree that MMOs needs to get more about group playing again but ESO is not made that way, at least not when you quest in the open world.

• MsPtibiscuitMsPtibiscuit Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by MsPtibiscuit

That isn't actually relevant here. The problem is that a lot of ESOs world is solocontent and too many players around makes soloing annoying, particularly in a game like ESO where you can't just group and get questcompletion for what other players do as well.

I agree that MMOs needs to get more about group playing again but ESO is not made that way, at least not when you quest in the open world.

Oops, I was originally responding to one particular message.

But, yeah, I agree. Developpers made the levelling, then they added the group without thinking people would maybe play in groups. Difficulty of VR is perfect (Soloable but hard, and enjoyable in group of two), but the quests aren't group-friendly, that's my main grip about ESO.

• oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139

This is a complaint made by people new to mmos I guess. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the number of players around in solo dungeons etc... that was how it used to be years ago before every mmo decided to instance quests and make the whole experience soloable. ESO reminds me of how mmos used to be, when you had to wait for spawn and wait your turn.

I wonder how the OP and other complainers would deal with EQ and the queuing system we used as guilds for bosses in dungeons?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    If you are going to make the majority of the content solo oriented then you might as well make the experience as optimal as possible and other players around enmasse do not add to the experience.

Surrounding everyone with other players who add no value does not make for a good game, nor a good MMO.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Traugar

For someone who just dinged someone for their lack of reading comprehension you miss a simple comparison.  You are complaining about too many players.  He is pointing out that in another thread people are complaining about there being no players, too solo oriented, and not enough people to group with.  It was showing that no matter what some people will not be happy.  

As for my opinion, players being everywhere is how MMOs are supposed to be.  If you don't want players everywhere then I would suggest a different genre.  

This is NOT what hes saying, can't understand if people in this thread are trying to troll him or simply refuse to understand hes totally valid complaint..The game is FAR to easy at times , due to the number of players present in most quests, it makes the quests almost done by itself.

When you run in on a boss on a certain questline and all you have to do to is be fast enough to cast a heal or one fireball, done , update, quest finished. Must be around 100 times or so this has happened for me and my gf now, it's most certainly an issue.

Also, sometimes the quests specifically dictates that no man has ever been here  or some of the very specific Dream scenarios , where it basically would be impossible to meet others, what do you see, ohh yes other players roaming around...

There is really nothing wrong with haveing other players around, feels nice and all , but if it makes the quests to easy something needs to be done, and the majority of the quests are currently to easy.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Quest in Cyrodiil OP. It's the most challenging and fun questing I've done in many years. Plus the stories are better than the other parts of the game imo.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by oldboygamer

This is a complaint made by people new to mmos I guess. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the number of players around in solo dungeons etc... that was how it used to be years ago before every mmo decided to instance quests and make the whole experience soloable. ESO reminds me of how mmos used to be, when you had to wait for spawn and wait your turn.

I wonder how the OP and other complainers would deal with EQ and the queuing system we used as guilds for bosses in dungeons?

This is NOT true at all, EQ WAS HARD and required you to have players around either together in a group or so you could follow them to get to the deeper parts of the dungeons , othervise you would die.

And if you died Deep inside a dungeon you needed other players to get hold of your corpse. In EQ this was totally valid for alot of reasons

ESO is not hard solo and when there is other players around it goes beyond easy..TO EASY. almost auto resolve,

Originally posted by Traugar

Well it was very off topic wasn't it .Don't you agree ? Also if you don't agree please care to tell me how is it on topic ? I would love to see what convoluted response you come up with because it would be a bit of a laugh trying to see you explain your thought processes .

I've explained several times why I don't like to see too many players doing quests that intended as solo quests and even went out of my way to state that I liked seeing other players in mmos  just not on overcrowded solo quests because I knew some idiot would take it the wrong way . Still it guess no matter what you say and how clear you try and make it idiots will always take things the wrong way  . Not that I'm inferring you or anyone else on this thread are idiots but I'm sure those who are not idiots can and will make their own minds up about that . lol .

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    They seriously need a scaling system for encounters based on participating players. Huge oversight in my opinion.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    There are a couple of ways to get a more challenging solo experience. If you log in and out you'll be in a different shard. If your current one has a lot of players you can end up in a new vacant one.

If you hold back for a couple of minutes after others have cleared a path there will be respawns. I've done both and they can both be effective.
  • ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by DMKano

Player numbers do not rise after the first month in vast majority of games they continue to decline for the first 6 months at which point they stabilize.

Yes there are exceptions (WoW, EvE) - does ESO fall into this category?

Eve wasn't an exception. At launch it only sold around 40k copies, and within the first 6 months to a year (I forget), it had dropped by about half to 20k subs. But then they had their first big (and free, since they used a sub model) expansion (I think, IIRC, it opened up their T2 tech line), and then it started to recover.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

The game is phased on a mega-server. It will ALWAYS be full by your perspective.

That is the point of an mmo though. I simply hook up with random peeps and honestly often have a good time. It isn't that often when you meet a real turd.

You stay sassy!

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Actually it depends on the day now.  If you play in the morning on the east coast or even the early afternoon east coast, the dolmens are NOT going down, the dungeons are generally empty other than you and there are chests and resources everywhere untapped by anyone. 

This is actually scary because when you essentially have a map to yourself on a single megaserver that means there simply aren't any people playing in that phase/instance other than you and when you are looking at a larger map with say 10 people on it instead of the normal 50 odd, that sincerely is making me wonder if the population is not taking a nose-dive. 

In general a megaserver would hide that from you.  Things have to be really light to actually see it.

(of course it could also be that I am a V2 and a lot of the people are bypassing V2 content by doing the broken dungeon with the fast respawning bosses over and over and over for hours at a time instead of playing the game)