Inevitably we will see a new big money Star Wars MMO, the franchise still has a very long term staying power and will surely gross more video game spin-offs in MMO form.
So the question is, if you were in the developers seat, designing the newest Star Was MMO, how would you do it?
Now this doesnt have to be limited to simply whether you would do sandbox or themepark or some mix, but rather, what systems would you design? What class's would you implement? How would you do character progression?
How would you address the issues that hindered past Star Wars MMO's?
Lets design a new Star Wars MMO,
Heres one of my design choices if I was in the developers chair on a new Star Wars MMO:
I feel as if both SWG and TOR got Jedi Progression wrong in their respective games. In SWG by making Jedi an overly strenuous task to achieve and in TOR by making Jedi overly powerful from level one. So here my solution:
- You can chose the Jedi class from the beginning of the game.
- Start off with no Lightsaber.
- Given only basic force powers as abilities.
- Starter Force Push - stuns for a couples seconds
- Force Heal (In combat)
- Meditate (Out of combat healing)
- Must find weapons such as vibro-blades and blasters from mobs, if not use your fists.
- Progression should be slow and based heavily on skill advancement.
- A Jedi should not be gaining power in both Force and Jedi Combat skills at the same time.
- Split Progression between Force Skill Line and Jedi Combat Skill line
- While other class's are getting very proficient in their combat roles, Jedi's split progression will differentiate them, hinder them from becoming OP at early game, and level the playing field in terms of power with other class's.
- Lightsabers can be attained in a multitude of ways.
- Crafted, with higher level materials that start to appear at a low drop-rate - Level(10+) and onward.
- Crafted Lightsabers given slightly better stats than Quest Rewarded.
- Lightsabers that are crafted can be given to other Jedi through a Mentor System.
- Only allowed one Mentor at a time, limiting the amount of Tradeable Lightsabers.
- Quest Rewarded at L(10+)
- Quest Rewarded Lightsabers are Always Soulbound!
- Lightsaber is level locked at L(10)
So in my design choice, I chose to focus on making Jedi Progression more of a community based and differentiated profession than others in the galaxy would be.
Making Lightsabers a more profound status symbol and not allowing the player to enter into combat with one until mentored, crafted, or rewarded, gives the player a more symbolic relationship with the weapon as a status symbol.
The split Progression also differentiates them from other class's, by giving them multiple advantages/disadvantages through their progression. Obviously a Smuggler whose trained in pistols till level 10 is going to have a fair advantage over a Jedi who has focused skills in force stuns and healing, but limited the amount of combat training they have. And even then the advantage of a lightsaber would be there only if the Jedi has been mentored and given a lightsaber to use, making community interaction a huge plus.
Feel free to post your own ideas by using my above model or even by creating one of your own, this is meant to be a free-form thread - so bounce some ideas around or share some own.