Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The End of an Era: EA Shutters Mythic

Comments

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

lol, again with the melodramatic titles. End of an era huh? An era of mediocrity perhaps, they made one decent game out of how many? sheesh get a grip.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

You reap what you sow.

Warhammer Online is my all time most disappointing MMO. I have mixed feelings about them shutting down. I hope at the very least their employees are able to find work elsewhere.

With that being said, EA continues to be the angel of death for game studios. Any self-respecting studio should look at EA's history and avoid signing with them at all cost.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by BMBender

lol, again with the melodramatic titles. End of an era huh? An era of mediocrity perhaps, they made one decent game out of how many? sheesh get a grip.

Well regardless of how you, or I, or Mmorpg.com feels about Mythic, they are still one of the early pioneers of MMOs and a long veteran in online gaming. A certain amount of acknowledgment to this seems fitting.

Originally posted by TheHavok
    Originally posted by BMBender lol, again with the melodramatic titles. End of an era huh? An era of mediocrity perhaps, they made one decent game out of how many? sheesh get a grip.
    Well regardless of how you, or I, or Mmorpg.com feels about Mythic, they are still one of the early pioneers of MMOs and a long veteran in online gaming. A certain amount of acknowledgment to this seems fitting.

I acknowledge they were able to make 1 one successful game over a decade ago. I acknowledge they spent the last decade trying and failing to accomplish anything else. Pioneers all right...

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    One thing people have to remember is the company itself didn't develop anything. The people working for the company did which as I understand it the big people responsible for DAOC have been long gone from Mythic.

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by hammarus
    Not surprised.  It is the way "capitalism" works today.  If you can't invent, create or design you buy and wipe out the competition.  Then you strip down the company you bought, take what you want and discard the husk.  At the same time you destroy the threat that a creative company poses to your company as a bonus.

haha works today.  That's how it's always worked.  When JP Morgan couldn't beat the competitor he just threatened to sue them to bankruptcy so they had no choice but to sell or be ruined.    It is not limited to him.  In the early 1900s every oil company in the US was owned by 1 man who bullied threatened and bought out his competition.    EA is no different cant beat them buy them wait a few years and close them but keep the trademark name.   You should watch the people who built america documentary.   Rockefeller would of been worth 350-500b today if his company was not split up over 100 years ago.  Sorry to burst your bubble but what EA does is business 101 its the very first thing you learn.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I do not quite understand the official reasoning. They concentrate mobile development in some location, so close down an MMO studio? What has the one to do with the other?

Of course, they recently "switched" Mythic to mobile games, but that was a mistake in the first place. And that Dungeon Keeper failed is hardly Mythics fault, people want Dungeon Keeper 3, not some random game with "Dungeon Keeper" tacked on.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,500
    Originally posted by logicbomb82
    More people to work on Brad's Project incoming!

Dude, that was harsh!

(funny tho!)

• ApocalApocal Member Posts: 68
    RIP Mythic.  You were a good company pre-EA.
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    R.I.P always hate to see these things happen

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

They actually got  it right for DAOC. A high water mark that has seldom, if ever, been surpassed.

RIP.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Im sad remembering what Mythic was and the joy it brought me in Warhammer Online, truly one of my best MMO gaming years Ive ever had. It also made me a bitter ex-vet which I dont mind.  Even to this day thinking about it, and especially talking about it invokes so much passion from me because I know had it be managed better it would still be going and I would still be playing it.

To all those who have lost their jobs,my best wishes to you in finding new employment, and keep your chin up you have a lot to be proud of.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Farewell Mythic.

I will always look back on DAoC as one of my better years in gaming. Mordred server at its release was extremely fun and something I've never experienced in any other game.
  • ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by BMBender

Originally posted by TheHavok

Originally posted by BMBender lol, again with the melodramatic titles. End of an era huh? An era of mediocrity perhaps, they made one decent game out of how many? sheesh get a grip.
    I acknowledge they were able to make 1 one successful game over a decade ago. I acknowledge they spent the last decade trying and failing to accomplish anything else. Pioneers all right...

You can thank EA for that. Nobody thrives under them and they bought Mythic back in 2006. For reference, Warhammer came out in 2008.

I don't get how anyone can hate the early game studios like Mythic and favor the giant corporations like EA. Companies like Mythic were the reason for the golden age of videogames, when there was a balance between making amazing games and turning a profit. Thanks to giant corporations like EA its all about putting as little effort forward and making the most money off of it. Even if it means coming close to scamming people in terms of advertising. Activision and Ubisoft are other good examples. Just look at Watch Dogs advertising compared to the actual product. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

EA is like a plague. It buys game studios, then sacrifices them in the altar of executives designing products for buyers.

RIP Mythic

• Alec_StormAlec_Storm Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by DathanKnight
    Oh, RIP Bullfrog.  To this day, Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 are some of my all time favorite games.  I was disappointed about Mythic, but now I'm sad, too.

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will Kickstart a worthy spiritual successor to the Dungeon Keeper games, I too loved those 2 games.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Sad to see. After Warhammer died on the table after a very underwhelming and short life, I can't say this is a surprise. 
  • JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Can't say that it's unexpected but it's still sad to see Mythic go. DAoC was a very important title for MMOs, it showed that PvP was viable.
  • Zontas_HierospiritZontas_Hierospirit Member UncommonPosts: 57

DAoC not dead, just the official mythic studio. Which is sad but the remains are their games and they live on. Well except Warhammer Online, which actually wasn't THAT bad. I called it an embarrassment because it was released with so much unfinished. It was practically released in alpha. However, it was still quite an enjoyable game. One of my biggest gripes was that once you level up to about tier 3 content, the quality of quest content really drops and starts to feel like everything was copy and pasted. Tier 1 and 2 were still some of the best MMORPG RvR content in the whole world. When I heard the game pooped out after I quit playing, I suspected something different was going on besides that people just didn't like it. There is definitely something fishy. Hopefully we can all just be at peace and not bring up old battles for no reason.

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Well look at that. Yet another formerly high-quality development company killed off by the overly greedy fucks at EA. Just add 'em to the list with Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood Studios, Pandemic, Criterion, and all the other promising studios they've obliterated.

If Dragon Age 3 doesn't meet sales expectations, Bioware will be next. No sense keeping the name around if it can't draw in the sales like it used to.

^ this right here is exactly what EA does.

I understand it is a business, but EA only cares about raw profit. Every single time they buy another company their input always destroys it in a matter of time. Shame to see yet another previously  great company ripped apart. 

I am scared for Bioware and its future. If you look at the major differences betwen ME1 and ME3, you clearly see the influence of EA.. it is a sad world, in which money apparently conquers all.

If the EA logo is on the cover, I am not buying it

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Don't buy EA games, simple.  Trouble is that most gamers are fickle and are drawn to the new shiny like moths to a flame.

Originally posted by ace5572
    Originally posted by BMBender   Originally posted by TheHavok Originally posted by BMBender lol, again with the melodramatic titles. End of an era huh? An era of mediocrity perhaps, they made one decent game out of how many? sheesh get a grip.
    You can thank EA for that. Nobody thrives under them and they bought Mythic back in 2006. For reference, Warhammer came out in 2008.

I don't get how anyone can hate the early game studios like Mythic and favor the giant corporations like EA. Companies like Mythic were the reason for the golden age of videogames, when there was a balance between making amazing games and turning a profit. Thanks to giant corporations like EA its all about putting as little effort forward and making the most money off of it. Even if it means coming close to scamming people in terms of advertising. Activision and Ubisoft are other good examples. Just look at Watch Dogs advertising compared to the actual product. 

Re-read I said nothing pro or neg EA. I merely said Mythic failed to deliver post DAOC, fact. It might or might not be EA's fault they sucked after that I don't know, I do know they took the kings gold and sold out to em.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Stuka1000
    Don't buy EA games, simple.  Trouble is that most gamers are fickle and are drawn to the new shiny like moths to a flame.

Mythic would have been bankrupt along time ago if it wasn't for that huge influx of EA $

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

Wow, can't say it wasn't coming but now that its actually happened it's still a shock. Such a great company at it's prime who's never been matched to this date imo. Mark Jacobs and City State are the new Mythic in my eyes. EA really knows how to destroy everything they touch.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    R.I.P. mythic :(

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"