Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Every MMO started out one line of code at a time

mmorpgcommentsmmorpgcomments Member Posts: 18

As I sit here on mmorpg.com looking at all the mmo's out there, how much they cost to make, how much they cost to play I ponder where have all the players gone. Where does a new gamer start? I remember a time when I didn't have internet and had to rely on steam for my gaming needs. They have an awesome selection of player made content in the greenlight community. Content created by players like you and me. While I wait for sony to release landmark and eventually everquest next I had time to scroll through steam's greenlight gaming titles and found one that isn't too indifferent to what everquest next series details. Planet explorers is a game very similar to everquest. It uses voxel creation that lets players create unique items that include mounts, weapons, appearance items, buildings, and more. You can also import creations directly into the game. They have three different modes of play at the start menu. One which is a storyline, or you can simply indulge yourself into  making your own stuff if you so desire. It has descent content such as alien raids and somewhat of an advanced AI system that requires players to be present for the continuation of your dominance to rule the planet! While Planet Explorers has a multiplayer option I found the number of players present to be few and far between. Why couldn't they have utilized a better system of implementing this. I then look to the multi player support sony is providing for everquest. There is a difference. While I hardly ever see real people in any mmo I think bigger budget mmo's can at least try to make me feel like I am having an mmo experience. Some allocate this to money needed for customer support or multi servers to handle requests for multiplayer options I don't think it would take alot of time or money to add a multiplayer script to any budget based title like Planet Explorers.

Comments

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

"I remember a time when I didn't have internet and had to rely on steam for my gaming needs."

Alright Grandpa.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    so, how again did you use steam without internet? ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• mmorpgcommentsmmorpgcomments Member Posts: 18
    "I think" JAVA has a program that allows offline connection to refresh without direct connection to the internet although periodic server refresh checks are necessary to maintain consistency!